Author Topic: Windows 10 Creators Update 1703  (Read 21994 times)

Offline HoracioDos

• Frequent Contributor
  • Just an IT monkey with a DSO
Re: Windows 10 Creators Update 1703
« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2017, 05:59:33 pm »
My daughter's laptop got the windows 10 'upgrade' from windows 7.  30 minutes into a reboot I turned it off and bought her a new laptop, 10 was that bad.  I formatted the drive and it boots slackware in about 30 seconds.

This morning I created a new VM with Windows 8.1 Pro under linux again to test it and I hated. It was not quick enough like win7 and I don't find a word to describe such UI. That's why I went from Win7 to Win10 in the first place. Programmers should be still asking for forgiveness. I'll leave the previous Win7 VM that I created yesterday. Almost perfect!

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #151 on: October 12, 2017, 06:23:48 pm »
lol
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/11/outlook_smime_bug/

same old excuse - whenever they get caught it was a "bug"
yes, in some way it was...... just not the way they meant!  |O

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #152 on: October 12, 2017, 06:56:38 pm »
That’s just total shit. How did they fuck it up that bad?

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #153 on: October 12, 2017, 07:34:03 pm »
that's my point, the fuckup was getting caught!!

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #154 on: October 12, 2017, 07:45:20 pm »
Coming from a sysadmin background .net anything is not cool.  There were always monthly patches for .net and these patches do break compatibility with people's .net code.  Not to mention the resource hog .net is.

Rarely do they break compat. That's one of the things that's good. Patches do come about; that happens with all complex software.

Granted its been a few years since I was in that role but Windows core OS patches rarely broke compatibility but .NET patches did all the time, the devs were always having to change code after a .net patch.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #155 on: October 12, 2017, 07:49:19 pm »
the elderly dont like change, all this new fangled shit with an inverted trackball you shove around.

they want to boot to a command line and type:
CD WORD
WORD.EXE

>:D

Thats why I run Slackware.

Wait, does that make me elderly?
 :-//

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #156 on: October 12, 2017, 07:54:47 pm »
CentOS here. I did a bit of slack in the past. Anyone remember Bob?

lol
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/11/outlook_smime_bug/

same old excuse - whenever they get caught it was a "bug"
yes, in some way it was...... just not the way they meant!  |O

I worked for a defence contractor with UK CESG spooks dealing with the network side of things. They’d be pissed about this too. I think it was a genuine fuck up. The thing you have to worry about is the other actors who did notice it but chose not to disclose it or sold it on the darknet markets.

Then again perhaps that’s why they’re all still using Lotus Notes :)

Coming from a sysadmin background .net anything is not cool.  There were always monthly patches for .net and these patches do break compatibility with people's .net code.  Not to mention the resource hog .net is.

Rarely do they break compat. That's one of the things that's good. Patches do come about; that happens with all complex software.

Granted its been a few years since I was in that role but Windows core OS patches rarely broke compatibility but .NET patches did all the time, the devs were always having to change code after a .net patch.

There was only one big breaking change that I remember in the last 15 years which required a code change and that was because the HashTable algorithm was flawed and had an O(N^2) complexity which meant you could DoS attack the server with a crafted form post. If they had to change code lots then the dev team was shit :)

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #157 on: October 12, 2017, 08:01:18 pm »
I moved into ITrisk in 2012 so it would have been before that.  Was multiple dev teams at different companies prior, they all hated when we did .net patches because they had to change things.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #158 on: October 14, 2017, 11:36:29 am »

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #159 on: October 14, 2017, 12:10:16 pm »
Oh FFS another one!

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #160 on: October 14, 2017, 01:18:28 pm »
What I would like to find is a tool Win10 which can wrap around my network hardware driver.  Let win10 think I don't have any network devices at all.  And, have a modified Firefox, and maybe 1 or 2 other remote network viewing tools with their own private internal link directly to those wrapped network drivers with a third party separate network protocol driver not made by M$.  I don't mind loosing all Win10 network functionality for privacy just to allow me to use my EDA tools in private uninterrupted leisure.

The added benefit will also be adobe acrobat not blabbing to adobe behind my back as well as many other unnecessary network crap.

I am well aware of how many software items will no longer function as today they require online access.

But, except for exploits within firefox, nothing else should be able to sen or get anything online.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #161 on: October 14, 2017, 01:31:20 pm »
Sounds like you need to run windows in a virtual machine on a Linux box. Use the EDA tools on the VM and all the communication stuff on the host machine.

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #162 on: October 14, 2017, 01:46:31 pm »
Sounds like you need to run windows in a virtual machine on a Linux box. Use the EDA tools on the VM and all the communication stuff on the host machine.

I wont get the gaming performance of my 1080ti then.

The idea is to F--- M$ knowledge of any connected networks right down to the kernel level.  Then, only for the Win apps I want, allow them to use my private software network driver.
I need a solution I can distribute and install on any existing setup Win10 machine out there.
It needs to be a solution that there is nothing M$ can work around or do anything about.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #163 on: October 14, 2017, 02:16:51 pm »
has anybody tried just patching all the i.p. addresses to 127.0.0.1 in the windows system??

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #164 on: October 14, 2017, 03:56:12 pm »
Doesn't work. It uses it's own DNS resolution system which is in the guise of "malware prevention" to stop DNS hijackers from preventing windows updates and windows defender updates.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #165 on: October 14, 2017, 04:07:04 pm »
I've continued running the router.  The only change was I enabled the known CDNs for now.  I thought originally it was the tables were too large and complex for the old router, causing some speed problems.  It appears this was not the case and it  was caused from not using the CDNs.
How electrically robust is your meter?? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsK99WXk9VhcghnAauTBsbg

Online rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #166 on: October 14, 2017, 04:10:11 pm »
I've seen estimates that Microsoft may have as many as half a million internet connections available to use. It seems like trying to stop their spying by blockading would be useless.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #167 on: October 14, 2017, 04:17:52 pm »
maybe you can block port numbers instead?
is m$ using 80/81 or something else?

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #168 on: October 14, 2017, 04:31:39 pm »
maybe you can block port numbers instead?
is m$ using 80/81 or something else?

WTF would they use 81 for?

If they used a unique port, it'd just be blocked, and.. they'd move to using a port you can't arbitrarily block.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #169 on: October 14, 2017, 04:55:01 pm »
I had started out blocking ports.  They are fine with only these open. 

So blocking every port but 53, 80 and 443 is not good enough.  I need a better router. 

Where's that $450 stripped version of Windows 10 I am hearing about???

I have had Wireshark running and so far nothing new has shown up in the last few days.  For sure you would not want to block individual IPs.   As you can see, I was going for entire ranges (and then some).   My concern is with Microsoft using Akamai's CDM services rather than missing another range owned by Microsoft.  All I can do is monitor it at this point and see if something changes.   
How electrically robust is your meter?? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsK99WXk9VhcghnAauTBsbg

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #170 on: October 14, 2017, 05:30:14 pm »
I guess shutting down TCPIP-v4&v6.sys, having your own private one in it's place which refuses M$ would also work.

I wonder if something like PeerBlock, with the right table of IP's & ports would do it?
http://peerblock.en.lo4d.com/details

It supposed to intercept right in-between Windows and it's TCPIP.sys

I use it on win7 and it blocks anything I want, coming in or going out.
You can make custom block lists, and ports, enable and disable them in real time...
They claim Win10 support.  However, it loads after windows boots, which means there is a small window of opportunity for windows to contact M$.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #171 on: October 14, 2017, 07:16:31 pm »
I wonder how many third party tools like this broke (or worse report they work and do nothing)  after the recent "updates".   Blocking at the router at least decouples you from the OS.  Not aware of a MS patch that will reFLASH the router, yet anyway.   :-DD

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #172 on: October 14, 2017, 11:53:13 pm »

I wont get the gaming performance of my 1080ti then.

Pass it through to the VM.

I understand what you are asking but unless you want to get your hands dirty and learn to write Windows device drivers (and that's a nasty rabbit hole to crawl down), a VM or external firewall is the way to do what you want to do.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #173 on: October 15, 2017, 12:27:53 am »
I actually WANT to like windows 10, because 8 was so terrible, but the more I have to work with 10 the more I hate it and the more I'm glad I switched to Linux for my own stuff.

I just hate how the dialogs are so big and flat and almost feel like they are often missing options.  Everything takes up too much space, there's too much white, it's just ugly and annoying to work with.  It also has so many weird quirks and because everything is so dumbed down it's hard to find any way to troubleshoot stuff.  For example I had to troubleshoot a mic issue for a family member.  Just trying to find a basic sound recorder program was like pulling teeth.  The standard start menu is like completely useless, there's no "accessories" folders or anything, everything is just jumbled up together.  Managed to found a recording app but it looks like it was coded by a 3 year old. It has like no features.  I could not even tell if it was recording or not.  Long story short one weird thing about this mic issue is that in the sound properties (after digging a lot to try to even find them) it showed that the mic was picking up sound, it was also set to default, and the only recording device, yet no other programs worked.  I found another section where you have to give permission on a per app bassis, but you were limited by what is in the list.  I had installed Audacity for troubleshooting since that recorder app was garbage, but it did not show up in the list.

Overall I just found the entire experience unintuitive and frustrating.  Never did figure out the issue and just gave up.  On that same person's computer the printer also randomly stopped working. They are pushing all these forced updates and it just breaks everything.

The following users thanked this post: Jacon

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #174 on: October 15, 2017, 02:33:41 am »
I actually WANT to like windows 10, because 8 was so terrible, but the more I have to work with 10 the more I hate it and the more I'm glad I switched to Linux for my own stuff.
They are all frustrating.

I love Linux, but I have never once been able to successfully been able to do a version upgrade to an Ubuntu derivative without a non-working result. Quite often, the GUI never starts properly after updating. I am sure it works for some people - particularly if they are only using standard applications, but I now have to just clean install for a version upgrade. If you do not update the Linux versions, it usually means you cannot run the latest versions of applications unless you compile them yourself. That could mean you are not getting the latest security updates and bug fixes for applications.

For this reason, I love the idea of the rolling updates - like Arch Linux derivatives - but at some point, the rolling updates will break things. No good for ordinary users. For example, a year or two ago, Samba (Windows network file sharing in Linux) decided to remove functionality from one of their services because they really wanted you to be using a different service to do that job. All of a sudden, perfectly working Windows shares stopped working.

I did suspect that Windows 10 was going to be a 100% rolling update, but now we have discovered that Windows 10 is actually a new Windows version every year. This year, it is TWO new versions (the Fall Creators Edition is coming out this Tuesday I think). I like using WSUSoffline so I can update PC's offline, but with Windows 10, the updates seem to be largely combined in 12 massive files (many 1Gbyte in size), so downloading the latest Windows 10 updates for 32 and 64 bit involves 5 to 10GBytes of downloads.

Why can't Microsoft sell us what we really want - a stable and lean OS that can run programs? Have a much cleaner and faster update process - say like Arch Linux's Pacman. It would be great to have a Windows OS that can be simply set to never talk to anyone on its own accord. I would pay real money for that, but just once. Microsoft no longer want to tolerate users who pay them $100 for an OS and then never give them anything for the next 10 years.

I am still using Windows 8.1. It is better then Windows 7 as long as you configure it right so I don't have to use Metro (except for 1 window). If you like the Windows 7 interface, then the Windows 8.1 desktop is mostly the same, but the differences mostly improve it. I could not use Windows 8.1 "out of the box".  Windows 8.1 will be supported until Jan 2023, but Microsoft have killed my ability to recommend it as they will end non-security updates next year on current Intel processors. 8.1 has over 5 years of life. They are crippling it!  |O

Just as a guide, here are the current sizes of the WSUSoffline updates (for Win32 and Win64 together):

Windows 7: 5.9Gbytes
Windows 8.1: 7.1Gbytes
Windows 10: 12.2Gbytes

The Windows 7 updates are for 8 years of updates.
The Windows 10 updates are for just over 2 years of updates.

Most of the Windows 10 updates is for functionality that most of us do not need or want.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 04:15:19 am by amspire »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf