Author Topic: Windows 10 Creators Update 1703  (Read 39320 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Windows 10 Creators Update 1703
« Reply #200 on: October 25, 2017, 01:31:59 pm »
Doesn't surprise me. They fired all their QA. We're all fucked.

Offline Syntax_Error

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #201 on: October 25, 2017, 11:44:51 pm »
Huh...

Didn't someone earlier say Altium was the reason they were locked into MS Windows and couldn't use Linux or Mac? Well, guess that's resolved itself.
It's perfectly acceptable to not know something in the short term. To continue to not know over the long term is just laziness.

Offline Syntax_Error

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #202 on: October 26, 2017, 12:15:55 am »
Sure. (no sarcasm)

I'm no fanboy, it's just increasingly easy to poke fun at MS. Give them some more time, I'm sure they will brew up more annoying bugs "for Altium to fix" by altering *their* software.
It's perfectly acceptable to not know something in the short term. To continue to not know over the long term is just laziness.

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #203 on: October 26, 2017, 11:30:21 am »
Ran into a new problem but I am not sure if it related to the creators update.   Its highly suspect. 

I have a custom board inside the PC that I talk to using LabVIEW.  When I bought the new PC, I switched over to using their driver Wizard tool.  This creates the INF and INI files.   I then talk directly to the board using LabVIEW built-in functions. 

I went to run it and was able to read and write to the board just fine.  Everything worked normal, except there were no interrupts.  I did not suspect the hardware would fail and cause this.  I had made no changes to the code since I ported over to with the new PC. When I would attempt to enable the events triggered by the hardware interrupt, LabVIEW will error with a code that had very little information on.  Size mismatch or such.

After various tests and having no luck, I was going to reinstall the hardware in the old P4 machine just to make sure it was not really a hardware problem.  Instead,  I decided to recreate the INF/INI files from scratch.  The tool I used is the same version.  The two files match with the old ones.   I attempted to update the driver to new (even though it was identical) and Windows 10 would not allow it because of the signature.  I used the shift restart/seven to override this.   And bingo, it all starts working. 

I don't install a lot of software on this PC.  The only other thing that was new was I had to upgrade VirtualBox after the creators update.  It makes no sense that MS would have scrubbed the settings and disabled the interrupts.   Yet, I can't explain why this happened.   Maybe when they were blue screening my PC with their latest spyware, Candy Crush X-box updates, they disabled the hardware as part of the recovery.   

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #204 on: October 26, 2017, 01:04:35 pm »
I expect this bug to be fixed in AD18 since they will be moving to fully .NET based (no legacy Delphi components).

that's interesting, it should run with MONO in Linux then.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #205 on: October 26, 2017, 02:18:10 pm »
I expect this bug to be fixed in AD18 since they will be moving to fully .NET based (no legacy Delphi components).

that's interesting, it should run with MONO in Linux then.
Because that supports directx, right?
I suspect maybe 1% of current Altium users want to run their tool on Linux, but 99% of Linux boys want Altium to support their OS. Even though they dont have a license for it, and not planning on getting one.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #206 on: October 26, 2017, 02:59:57 pm »
i'm not concerned,
i do reverse engineering - not design engineering.
the only thing in altium i would use is the schematic creation - and there are faster and smaller programs that do that just fine.
(KiCad is not one of them!  |O )

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #207 on: October 26, 2017, 05:28:51 pm »
OK, this is REALLY important!

Xilinx Vivado does run on Win 10 1703 but it will not start on 1709.  The update has to be removed which, fortunately, is pretty easy to do.

BUT...  You need to now prevent Windows from automatically updating in the future.  Google is your friend.

It appears I may be stuck at 1703 for the foreseeable future.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #208 on: October 26, 2017, 06:18:10 pm »
lol
try to start it from a command-line
that trick used to show you what is not being found etc.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #209 on: October 27, 2017, 10:06:34 pm »
I already rolled back to 1703 and I guess I plan to stay there indefinitely.  I simply can't afford to lose any node licensing or not be able to run Vivado.  It would be fair to say I built the computer specifically to pick up the pace on FPGA projects.  I don't use it on a daily basis.

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #210 on: October 27, 2017, 10:45:04 pm »

Xilinx Vivado does run on Win 10 1703 but it will not start on 1709.  The update has to be removed which, fortunately, is pretty easy to do.

BUT...  You need to now prevent Windows from automatically updating in the future.  Google is your friend.

What version of Vivado?

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #211 on: October 28, 2017, 01:40:31 am »

What version of Vivado?

Vivado 2017.2

When I checked the error code on Google, I found it to be a common problem.  It seems many people are backing up to Win 7.  That isn't necessary but it certainly doesn't run on Win 10 Version 1709.

I have forgotten what the error code was and it isn't worth upgrading to 1709 to find it only to have to back down to 1703.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf