Author Topic: Windows 10 Creators Update 1703  (Read 38867 times)

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Windows 10 Creators Update 1703
« on: October 07, 2017, 04:14:40 pm »
Things have changed at MS.  My wife will never forgive them after the key switch.  The forced upgrade (at least that's what they call it) has given me a productive boost.

To my friends who were let go.  I'm glad your not part of this mess because it would end our friendship!   To Bill and company for letting go of the reins, a BIG thanks to you all as well. 

To Satya Narayana Nadella, good luck with the new direction you are taking the company.  I hope you figure out who your target users are fast.

Sorry for the rant.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Windows 10 Creators Update 1703
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 04:17:33 pm »
Looks like "F9" is an attractive option  :-\

The following users thanked this post: hans, SeanB, Frank

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 05:27:01 pm »
Sorry to hear Joe.  I use Veracrypt with 1607 and all is well.  WinPE or WinRE don't recognize the Veracrypt bootloader to load 1703 so it falls back on 1607 and prevents the Win10 "upgrade" .

I still get periodic fixes for 1607 layered on Veracrypt.  I would hope by the expiration of support for 1607, 1703 would have all bugs worked out.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 05:55:06 pm »
Beyond all the Spyware and Candy Crush game and other useless BS they had in 10, it was at least as stable as my XP box that it replaced.  PC was so much faster I was changing how I was implementing some of my designs.   Now I am beginning to hate the new PC.  The intrusive popups from MS in the middle of doing work.  Why?   At one time the PC was generating a fair amount of traffic.  I figured it was a patch.  No, it's all outgoing data.  I look in the services and there is a keyboard monitor running, sending my data out.  I quick search, yep common knowledge.   

Last one, I was going to upload some pictures on this site.  Plug in the flash key.  Nothing.  I start looking, all the USB devices are down.  The Signal Hound is on a separate PCIe board and even it would not run.  Power cycle the PC, again, and now at least the devices are working.

Several times and a long time, yea those are understatements.   I feel so productive!!! 

Offline HoracioDos

• Frequent Contributor
  • Just an IT monkey with a DSO
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 06:05:55 pm »
Hi Joe.
Be prepared for Fall Update on 17th Oct. It will be a big update. I would recommend to create a disk image on the first days of October.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 06:30:02 pm »
Hi Joe.
Be prepared for Fall Update on 17th Oct. It will be a big update. I would recommend to create a disk image on the first days of October.

Wait, what!!!  That was a 3.5GBish update they just did.  With my connection speed my wife's laptop took a good 24 hour to complete! Really!! How much bigger can it get??  I'm pretty big on backing up data and to be honest, if they brick it with all their BS it may be the better in the long run.  I am looking at pricing for 7 64-bit now.   

Offline HoracioDos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 06:59:10 pm »
There are a lot of changes. Biggest features added like Mixed Reality, Timeline, Onedrive on Demand

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 07:26:28 pm »
I have been using 1703 since whenever Microsoft pushed it.  I didn't know about the problems at the time and I don't have the problems now.

I have 4 machines running Win 10 (2-Surface Pros, 1-Surface Book and a new I7-7700k desktop) and they all work flawlessly.  As far as I'm concerned, Win 10 is the best version ever created.  Win 7 was good, Win 10 is better.

I'm not the least bit concerned about the October update.  It'll work out just fine!

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 07:29:55 pm »
Until there is an acceptable consumer version of Windows 10, I intend to avoid using it. OEM Windows 7 Pro is around $150. A bargain compared to the hassle of keeping Microsoft at bay with Windows 10.

Offline HoracioDos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 07:40:20 pm »
It'll work out just fine!
They usually do but I've seen a lot of problems with modest hardware. Last week a friend asked me why he couldn't install Creators Update on his new Windows 10 notebook. After checking his notebook specs I found that he owns a cloudbook (32GB eMMC and 2GB RAM). I don't understand why a manufacturer sells a notebook that It can't be updated within the same OS.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 07:54:58 pm »
They usually do but I've seen a lot of problems with modest hardware. Last week a friend asked me why he couldn't install Creators Update on his new Windows 10 notebook. After checking his notebook specs I found that he owns a cloudbook (32GB eMMC and 2GB RAM). I don't understand why a manufacturer sells a notebook that It can't be updated within the same OS.

Ask instead why a vendor produces a "universal" OS (phones, tablets, workstations) that can't be installed on a lightweight notebook?

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 07:55:16 pm »
Win10 for me? NEVER. Microsoft can go to hell. I am running Win7 until it isn't possible and am switching to Linux as I can.

I think I have spent more time fixing other people's computers for Win10 problems, and avoiding and removing Win10 spyware pushed as updates to Win7 than I have ever spent fixing any other problem on my computer. Win10 is junk.

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007

Offline kolbep

• Frequent Contributor
    • ShoutingElectronics.com
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 07:58:23 pm »
Finally Accepted the Creators update on a Production Computer (Used for Stage Projection).
Beeg Mistake. It does not like the Geforce GT730 Graphics Card. As soon as you reboot after installing any driver for that graphics card, it shows black screen, with spinning dots. Logging in to teamviewer shows that the machine works fine, it is only the Displays that are dead.

Worked until 2AM in the morning busy reloading the computer, reinstalling all different versions of the Driver, and finally got it working.
Shut the machine down, took it to the Venue for a wedding, and Black screen again.

Eventually found a machine at the Venue that the user kept on telling it not to install updates, so it did not have the creators update. Popped the card into that machine, installed the driver, and the Presentation software, and got it up and running with about 1 hour left to the wedding.

I have found a place to download the Anniversary Update, and am downloading that now. I will be reloading that machine, and then doing all I can to kill that beast that is Automatic Updates.

Damn U Microsoft!
====================================
www.ShoutingElectronics.com Don't just talk about Electronics, SHOUT ABOUT IT! Electronics Blog Site and Youtube Channel

Offline HoracioDos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 08:18:12 pm »
Ask instead why a vendor produces a "universal" OS (phones, tablets, workstations) that can't be installed on a lightweight notebook?
I agree with you mostly but hardware should be prepared for OS lifecycle. I think the problem is that Windows 10 has become a rolling update OS like many linux distro and it will grow in the next years until MS decides that Win10 brand isn't cool anymore.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 10:37:08 pm by HoracioDos »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 08:32:55 pm »
There are a lot of changes. Biggest features added like Mixed Reality, Timeline, Onedrive on Demand
It's a desktop PC and I back everything up locally, so I really have no use for cloud stuff.   I don't use it for playing games so the reality stuff does nothing for me.  I have yet to own a cell phone! lol Consider me low tech.  So timeline again does nothing for me.   So what you're say is MS will again push something that is totally worthless to me.   Tell me they are at least including a new Candy Crush game, because I am all about that!! 

Offline HoracioDos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 08:43:19 pm »
So what you're say is MS will again push something that is totally worthless to me.   Tell me they are at least including a new Candy Crush game, because I am all about that!!
I don't want to be a bad omen bird, but YES!

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 08:54:15 pm »
I run Windows Server 2016 as my desktop OS, and it doesn't have stupid updates like this, just normal boring updates that previous versions of Windows did. This means an update is not as likely to brick the machine. I strongly suggest it to anybody with an Imagine or MSDN subscription.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2017, 08:55:18 pm »
I have a working MS Windows 10 machine that drives a lot of my test equipment and I want it to STAY working. I have therefore removed the network drivers.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2017, 09:02:54 pm »
I have a working MS Windows 10 machine that drives a lot of my test equipment and I want it to STAY working. I have therefore removed the network drivers.
:-DD :-DD :-DD :-+

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2017, 09:11:36 pm »
I run Windows Server 2016 as my desktop OS, and it doesn't have stupid updates like this, just normal boring updates that previous versions of Windows did. This means an update is not as likely to brick the machine. I strongly suggest it to anybody with an Imagine or MSDN subscription.
Wow, I have not heard of MSDN in a very long time.  I was not even aware they still offered it.  I joined when they first offered it and later joined their C compiler developers what ever it was called.  I even have my tie dyed t-shirt still.   :-DD   They used to publish a lot of really good articles in it.  I had a version of NT 3 I think that had the Windows 95 GUI hooked to it.  Always some pretty cool stuff to try out.    They ended the C tools and I assumed when they never contacted me about my subscription for NSDN that they no longer offered it.   

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2017, 09:39:38 pm »
You can use programs like spybot anti beacon to stop windows 10 doing an ET and phoning home. With that and a few registry tweaks like turning of the silent app installer you are fairly safe.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2017, 09:48:20 pm »
You can use programs like spybot anti beacon to stop windows 10 doing an ET and phoning home. With that and a few registry tweaks like turning of the silent app installer you are fairly safe.

As far as I know, you can't stop WIn10 from spying. Some of the spying is built into the kernel. It has its own built in rootkit.

Offline HoracioDos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2017, 09:57:42 pm »
As far as I know, you can't stop WIn10 from spying. Some of the spying is built into the kernel. It has its own built in rootkit.

I think that a lot of outbound network traffic can be blocked through the firewall if privacy is a big issue.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2017, 11:06:54 pm »
I wonder if you are working at home under an NDA and MS pulls something they perhaps should not but you didn't take the time to read their War and Peace license, I would assume you are on the hook.  Corporate ethics?  What corporate ethics?   I guess if you are from a part of the world where theft is second nature, it's no big deal. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2017, 11:09:13 pm »
Pretty good video on the MS culture.   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf