Author Topic: Windows 10 security and privacy concerns.  (Read 62361 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline TheElectricChicken

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 480
  • Country: au
Re: Windows 10 security and privacy concerns.
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2015, 09:04:25 pm »
Alfoil if you think they won't scam you, Alfoil if you think hackers won't reap the benefit of all your personal details. If windows can collect and sample everything you do AS STANDARD according to Microsoft themselves, then how easy is it for hackers to just divert or eavesdrop on all that ? HA ! Forget windows

takes 5 minutes to search the web for, or just ask on a forum, which free Linux package works better than a windows package if it's not already built in. Commercial stuff costs what $50 ? So if saving money is money you don't need to earn, at $50 for 5 minutes each, that's what $600 per hour. Hey, I must have a really good job or something at that rate. I must have a PhD to get $600 an hour. That's almost as much as those scrap metal collectors with a PhD who get $1200 an hour. WooHoo!

OpenOffice VLC GIMP Firefox Transmission Audacity Brasero Thunderbird Pingus Blender Frozenbubble Arduino IDE

some names you know some you don't. You don't know some names because you don't pay $600 an hour for the advertising in the media. You keep the $600 an hour in your pocket for a sweet not windows computer.
 

Offline TheElectricChicken

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 480
  • Country: au
Re: Windows 10 security and privacy concerns.
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2015, 09:10:52 pm »
I just installed Windows 10 and tinfoil is coming out of my Printer and this appeared on the screen

 

Offline Red Squirrel

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2512
  • Country: ca
Re: Windows 10 security and privacy concerns.
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2015, 05:41:53 am »
I'm so sick of everything being designed to spy on us now days.  It's bad enough what the NSA and other web companies are doing, but when this stuff starts migrating towards tracking what you do on your own PC, that is WAY over the line. So glad I made the switch to Linux years ago.  Now let's hope there are enough people auditing the Linux code as it would be ignorant to think it's 100% safe to use.  NSA could easily get Linus or other kernel dev to slip something in at gun point or through blackmail.  Those guys would not voluntarily do such thing but they could be forced.

Knowing the type of corruption in the government I like to imagine the worse and just assume it could happen.  Better safe than sorry. 

Though the main concern is not whether or not the data is used against you but the fact that it is available for that.  If it's not Microsoft or the NSA, it will be anybody else who eventually gets ahold of it when their servers get hacked.  99% chance nothing happens, but that 1% is still a risk I'm not willing to take. I have nothing to hide but companies/government still have no business spying on me.

Allahu Akbar!  Hi NSA!   :P
 

Offline rdl

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3111
  • Country: us
Re: Windows 10 security and privacy concerns.
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2015, 08:28:56 pm »
Software spying is a pretty big issue these days and it's a somewhat polarizing topic. One person's definition of spying is another's "you can't avoid it, it's just the way it is".  It's one thing to be subjected to it by using various (most) web sites, but something else entirely when your operating system starts doing it.

Now that Microsoft has made attempts to "update" Windows 7 and 8 to the same level of spying capability as Windows 10, I'm pretty sure I'll be saying goodbye to Microsoft.
 

Offline TheElectricChicken

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 480
  • Country: au
Re: Windows 10 security and privacy concerns.
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2015, 08:40:44 pm »
Now that Microsoft has made attempts to "update" Windows 7 and 8 to the same level of spying capability as Windows 10, I'm pretty sure I'll be saying goodbye to Microsoft.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2475633/mobile-security/is-your-mac-spying-on-you-.html

I am so glad I made the choice to go Linux just a few years ago. The freedom from activation headaches, the freedom from my computer mugging me and taking everything from my wallet (both cash and ID). Every new thing I learn on linux will last longer than any version of windows or mac OS ever will. Plus, as the knowledge compounds continually in a way that doesn't work for windows ( everything you learned about win95 is kind of useless now ) one day I could probably design my own linux OS distribution, spyware free freedom for everyone who wants it, and nobody can stop me. No permission required. Man, mind-blowing freedom.
 

Offline miguelvp

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5549
  • Country: us
Re: Windows 10 security and privacy concerns.
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2015, 08:47:31 pm »
Yeah people, stay away from Windows 10 and do not attempt to learn how to program for it or any Microsoft products so I don't have more competition if I ever need to get a new job.
 

Offline alexanderbrevig

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 590
  • Country: no
  • Musician, programmer and EE hobbyist
    • alexanderbrevig.com
Re: Windows 10 security and privacy concerns.
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2015, 10:56:40 pm »
One person's definition of spying is another's "you can't avoid it, it's just the way it is".  It's one thing to be subjected to it by using various (most) web sites, but something else entirely when your operating system starts doing it.

The definition of spying involves the government and either an enemy or a competitor.
I'm a programmer by trade and it surprises me that people react this way to technology they endorse by the fact they use it.

Hate the filter bubble (like I do)? Fine! Use duckduckgo.com
Hate being "spied" on? Ok. Use torproject.org or write a Lynx nonwebstandard browser for use with your aluminium faraday crystal awesomeness.

Sadly, most persons care more about their subjective reality than objective fact. For some realities and some facts - that includes me, as well as you. Deal with it.

An operating system should help the average user get her job done. Who cares if you disagree? 


^how I feel reading most of this thread.

The demand is so strong.
I seem to remember your name/alias from somewhere... hmmm   arduino forums anno 2010?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 10:58:38 pm by alexanderbrevig »
 

Offline rdl

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3111
  • Country: us
Re: Windows 10 security and privacy concerns.
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2015, 11:52:19 pm »
Using a different web browser or an alternative search site will protect a user from their operating system collecting information about every single thing they do on their computer?  :-//

Quote
spy/sp?/
verb

    work for a government or other organization by secretly collecting information about enemies or competitors.

Since I don't compete with Microsoft, I guess that makes them an enemy.

 

Offline retrolefty

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1643
  • Country: us
  • measurement changes behavior
Re: Windows 10 security and privacy concerns.
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2015, 01:23:42 am »
Quote
I seem to remember your name/alias from somewhere... hmmm   arduino forums anno 2010?

 Yep. I kind of stop posting there when they last 'upgraded' the forum software last November, it really sucked in my opinion. Still read some posting there once in awhile but find the more wide ranging topics here more interesting.

Lefty
 
 

Offline TheElectricChicken

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 480
  • Country: au
Re: Windows 10 security and privacy concerns.
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2015, 03:08:43 am »
Since I don't compete with Microsoft, I guess that makes them an enemy.

 

Offline Bud

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4400
  • Country: ca
Re: Windows 10 security and privacy concerns.
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2015, 04:01:52 am »
I kind of stop posting there when they last 'upgraded' the forum software

Ding-ding-ding-ding-ding ...

Rings anyone's bell?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.
 

Offline Bud

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4400
  • Country: ca
Re: Windows 10 security and privacy concerns.
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2015, 04:05:18 am »


Nice one, e-chicken! I wonder if can be added to this forum emoticons list.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.
 

Offline knks

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 51
  • Country: au
Re: Windows 10 security and privacy concerns.
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2015, 04:32:14 am »
Just use XP for all your online stuff. If you need W7/W8/W10 for gaming - install it on the separate PC.
 

Offline rdl

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3111
  • Country: us
Re: Windows 10 security and privacy concerns.
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2015, 06:01:30 am »
Well, since Microsoft officially stopped supporting XP well over a year ago and no longer provides security updates for it, XP might not be the best choice for online stuff. Personally, I've switched to Linux for internet usage. Web browsers basically look and work the same no matter which OS they're used with. No version of Windows newer than 7 will be used here.
 

Offline knks

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 51
  • Country: au
Re: Windows 10 security and privacy concerns.
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2015, 06:05:30 am »
Security updates are for chickens  :)
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf