Author Topic: Windows 10 store crashes when i click on anything  (Read 3448 times)

Offline sony mavicaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Windows 10 store crashes when i click on anything
« on: February 09, 2018, 06:56:30 am »
my problem is i click on an app in the store it opens the details page then the app just closes if i click a game it does nothing

i tried
reinstalling the store
clearing the cache
tried changing the date and time zone ect but they are all correct
i run the troubleshooter and it found no problems
also tried in PowerShell putting this in
$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

but none of those have worked its driving me crazy trying to get it working 
MORE POWER!

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Windows 10 store crashes when i click on anything
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 07:41:05 am »
I've never figured out why anyone would want it working. If you're on a PC you have access to real software, why anyone would want to be stuck with mobile apps on a platform that isn't pocket sized is beyond me.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 07:59:20 am »
Don't use the Store. Seriously, that thing is one huge can of hurt. The basic idea isn't even all that bad, but even after years of fixing it it's still a continuous source of drama. Steer clear.

Offline sony mavicaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 08:15:50 am »
I've never figured out why anyone would want it working. If you're on a PC you have access to real software, why anyone would want to be stuck with mobile apps on a platform that isn't pocket sized is beyond me.

i wanted to play Forza and  a couple of other games
MORE POWER!

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
Gone for good

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 09:04:27 am »
If you have signal and you have noise. This is noise.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but my guess is that you're saying our advice is besides the point. It's not. It's solid advice. The Windows Store in it's current form isn't working well. Trying to make it work means spending ever more time on something that's bound to not give a healthy return on that investment. If you get it working, it tends to shit the bed again later. In most cases it's very possible to avoid using the Store at all. Considering the lack of information in the first post, it wasn't really possible to deduce the need for the Store. As a result, the sound advice is to avoid the Store completely.

Telling people the path they want to pursue is notoriously problematic isn't noise. If someone wants to pursue the matter regardless that's another story, but it helps a lot if that's a concious decision.

Offline engineer_in_shorts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 02:59:08 pm »
I really like windows store.  Provides a clean mechanism for apps to be installed, uninstalled and updated.  I hate software that installs it's own 'monitor' in the start-up to check for updates.

On windows 10 on PC the problem might not be in the store package but in a dependancy on the OS.  I would check system files (such as sfc /scannow), and ensure Win10 itself is updated (Settings -> System -> About Os build 16299.214).

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 08:07:02 pm »
my problem is i click on an app in the store it opens the details page then the app just closes if i click a game it does nothing

i tried
reinstalling the store
clearing the cache
tried changing the date and time zone ect but they are all correct
i run the troubleshooter and it found no problems
also tried in PowerShell putting this in
$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

but none of those have worked its driving me crazy trying to get it working

Obviously, M$ is not interested in your money.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 02:49:21 am »
Windows 10 store crashes when i click on anything

You haven't explained why this is a problem.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: Ampera, Mr. Scram

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 06:13:43 am »

i wanted to play Forza and  a couple of other games

https://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/store
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 06:23:03 am »
UWP is an abortion of a concept. The Windows Store is a failed cash grab by Microsoft who was upset that Google and Apple were way better at being dicks about software (mostly Apple) than they were.

The UWP exclusives are pain to anybody who are fans of the series they are a part of, and I hope that UWP experiences a Windows Phone like death. However, with the release of Windows 10 S as the standard, I believe that may be a bit far off.

People telling you that it's Windows Store aren't lying. You play the Microsoft game, you get a pair of deuces and loose the pot, simple as that. It's part of the reason why I think if Microsoft dropped off the face of the earth, we would all be much better off.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 11:41:48 pm »
Win 10 and M$ fiascos in general are still a better deal than the MacApple Infinite Labyrinth of Confusion  (MILC think > MILK!),
intuitive unintuitive layouts,
spinning beachball of death volleys

Mountains of OS upgrades that aid in creating sludge performance (did the mature fast cats get sold to a circus, or released back into the jungle?)

and the u$ual credit card r@pe  :scared:

Does anyone here use a Mac with a bog standard MS mouse, just so they can right click on any item single handedly/fingered
without unnecessary two handed gymnastics? How long has that dumbass 'intuitive' oversight been going on for now? 15 years or more? May I rest my case there?

FWIW, Win 7 and 8 still work fine, and you could always dual boot to Win 10 anytime you forget to appreciate 7 or 8 or Vista or XP/2000, Linux...

If your new hardware is locked to Win 10 and no mobo drivers for win 7 and 8, that's an unwise purchase decision IMHO and you'll just have to wear it  :-\
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 11:44:51 pm by Electro Detective »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 01:12:59 am »
While I'm not a huge fan of MacOS that mostly comes down to a general lack of native applications that I use. My friend has been using the same Macbook Pro for about 8 years now and he loves it, despite the relatively high initial cost I'd say he's got his money worth and then some. Given a choice between Win10 and the Mac I'd take the Mac, not that I wouldn't be griping about other issues with it. I will say I'm impressed with the overall fit & finish of the hardware though, and the OS *looks* pretty polished although not as nice as the older versions. Steve Jobs was a prick by any measure and I never thought I'd miss him but I will admit that the quality and polish of Apple's products has slipped substantially since his death, Jobs must be turning in his grave.

Offline JustMeHere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 02:29:01 am »
This can be caused by a problem with your HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSLicensing\Store key.

It can also cause the issue I found with Windows 10 acquiring Terminal Services Device CALs the link below.  I wish I could remember how to recreate the key.  Between me and the other guy who helped me with the issue I had seen stuff about the key getting corrupt and causing issues like you describe in Windows 10 Store.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/72644ef3-cf51-430d-92ba-e36efb9f27e1/windows-server-2016-not-issuing-device-cals-to-some-computers-really-just-win-10?forum=winserverTS

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 06:39:51 pm »
The two installs I’ve had where modern UI apps have gone nuts, including things like the Store not working, or any Modern UI apps not working... including Settings, and even the Start menu on one occasion, was to reinstall Windows from a DVD (or USB Stick if you can get that to work) on top of my existing system. That way I kept all my existing stuff too. The troubleshooting options scare the crap out of me, they are not clear enough what damage they’re going to do, and the ones that look least destructive tend not to fix anything.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 07:26:48 pm »
I agree with the comments about not using Windows store. Ideally I'd say don't use Windows 10, if you can help it but I appreciate that's not always practical. On my parent's PC, I don't use any Metro apps. I've removed the adware ones such as the Office 360 and Xbox and use the classic Windows 7 calculator.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 08:31:05 pm »
When my employer switched to Windows 10 I gave the built in apps a chance but very quickly found that every one of them was absolutely horrid compared to the 3rd party stuff I was used to. The calculator from XP/Vista is still the best of the bunch, same with Wordpad. Irfanview is infinitely better than the MS photo viewer app, Edge is hands down the worst browser I've ever used, or was when I last tried it. IMHO they made a huge mistake by pushing out all that stuff in such a sorry half baked state, you only get one chance at a first impression and they blew it, royally.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf