Author Topic: windows 10 store problem  (Read 2581 times)

Offline sony mavicaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
windows 10 store problem
« on: November 06, 2017, 11:15:11 pm »
so i am having a problem got a new laptop running windows 10 i set it up and downloaded 2 games off the store then one app when back to download another game but have this problem

i can search fine and download apps view music ect but when i go to games and click on one i want nothing happenes why is this i have closed the program and aslo restarted my computer with no luck
MORE POWER!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: windows 10 store problem
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 11:48:01 pm »
This is a windows 10 feature. Microsoft fired all their QA staff.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 03:16:26 am »
so i am having a problem got a new laptop running windows 10 i set it up and downloaded 2 games off the store then one app when back to download another game but have this problem

i can search fine and download apps view music ect but when i go to games and click on one i want nothing happenes why is this i have closed the program and aslo restarted my computer with no luck
Try resetting the Store cache. The Windows store is a mess. It's better to do it the old fashioned way and just install desktop programs.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/15057-clear-reset-store-cache-windows-10-a.html

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 03:18:54 am »
Well, thanks for opening another thread where we can lambast Microsoft. We haven't had one for at least a day or two.

How about providing some specifics. Do you get any error messages?

With the inherent quality of Windows 10 it shouldn't be necessary to shutdown and restart your computer any more. We've moved well beyond that sort of thing being necessary. In fact I'm seriously thinking about ditching Linux and moving back to Windows 10.
I'm going to call you out on that one ;D Rebooting the computer is always the first thing to try. You wouldn't believe how often that turns out to be the solution, no matter the platform.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Online DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 04:41:08 am »
Best thing about new laptops, they come with warranty and tech support ! :)
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 08:15:53 am »
Just to back up my short comment as I’m a bit more awake now. We tried to deploy and enterprise store front on windows 10 and it didn’t even work properly so we gave up and removed the store functionality by GPO. I suspect the whole thing is sticky tape and string behind the scenes.

Really, the old fashioned non store approach is still the best way to get software despite the promotion otherwise.

If you’re after games and stuff on the windows store, watch out because it isn’t very well moderated. There is a huge amount of stuff on there that exists because Microsoft paid developers to build apps by quantity and not quality. You will find also that a large quantity of them are data gathering privacy nightmares. Also there’s a ton of typo squatting so things aren’t always what they seem. It’s a textbook example of how not to run an online store front.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 01:44:58 pm »
Just to back up my short comment as I’m a bit more awake now. We tried to deploy and enterprise store front on windows 10 and it didn’t even work properly so we gave up and removed the store functionality by GPO. I suspect the whole thing is sticky tape and string behind the scenes.

Really, the old fashioned non store approach is still the best way to get software despite the promotion otherwise.

If you’re after games and stuff on the windows store, watch out because it isn’t very well moderated. There is a huge amount of stuff on there that exists because Microsoft paid developers to build apps by quantity and not quality. You will find also that a large quantity of them are data gathering privacy nightmares. Also there’s a ton of typo squatting so things aren’t always what they seem. It’s a textbook example of how not to run an online store front.
This is my experience with the Store too. Some developers refuse to provide a proper desktop application, so I'm forced to use it in some cases. I don't think it works like it should more than 50% of the time. Your assertion that it's all sticky tape and string is exactly the feeling I get too.

One fun incident was that I suddenly couldn't start applications any more. After logging in to the Store itself, it turned out Microsoft had decided to block my account. No actual reason was given, but they would unblock it for me if I provided a large amount of personal data. Another account wasn't hard to make, but if you have made purchases or are nearing a deadline, that isn't a great thing to be happening. That's not the main problem though. Applications or the Store itself simply refusing to cooperate is generally the issue.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 01:46:38 pm »
Someone probably tried to access your microsoft account a few times (do you use outlook.com/hotmail?) and locked the account. This happens regularly if your email address is easy to guess or you've had membership on a site that has had leaked email addresses.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 01:36:56 am »

Try resetting the Store cache. The Windows store is a mess. It's better to do it the old fashioned way and just install desktop programs.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/15057-clear-reset-store-cache-windows-10-a.html

thanks i tried it now and still no luck
MORE POWER!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 06:02:04 pm »
Someone probably tried to access your microsoft account a few times (do you use outlook.com/hotmail?) and locked the account. This happens regularly if your email address is easy to guess or you've had membership on a site that has had leaked email addresses.
It was a dedicated throw away account from another mail provider. That makes it less likely to have been guessed by random people fuzzing or stuffing. I'm glad I had the foresight to use one, because it wouldn't have been pretty otherwise.

I've moved away from Microsoft accounts for the other stuff too. I don't like being locked out and having to promise them my first born son to get back in.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 06:14:02 pm »
Indeed. What killed it all for we was that they actually broke my MSDN/VS Ultimate account when migrating to O365 SSO from a personal Microsoft account. Only $13k/yr subscription and it took a month of arguing with them to get it sorted.

During that time I ripped off all their software and used activation hacks. Fuck em

I’m not putting anything business critical on anything that is remotely controlled.

Online edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 06:30:18 pm »
Sony, have you run the Windows App Troubleshooter?  Apparently it helps with store problems as well as app problems.  I can't imagine why games would be broken and not apps, but running the troubleshooter can't hurt - I don't think!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027498/windows-10-run-the-troubleshooter-for-apps

Ed

The following users thanked this post: sony mavica

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 07:01:33 am »
Sony, have you run the Windows App Troubleshooter?  Apparently it helps with store problems as well as app problems.  I can't imagine why games would be broken and not apps, but running the troubleshooter can't hurt - I don't think!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027498/windows-10-run-the-troubleshooter-for-apps

Ed

thanks i will try that now
MORE POWER!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 12:33:46 am »
I found out sometimes if you have not updated windows 10 to the latest version it will cause this problem
that sucks because I hate having windows update all the time and use up more hdd space
MORE POWER!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf