Author Topic: Windows 10...  (Read 12456 times)

Offline TopLoserTopic starter

• Supporter
Windows 10...
« on: August 05, 2015, 11:41:24 pm »
Installed today.

Firefox crashes at random and can't be closed down (endless spinning circle thingy). Start button disabled so can't even shut the PC down. Same for quite a few other programs. Got sick of umplugging PC every 15 minutes so i could restart it.

BUT Windows 10 handles old DOS programs far better than Windows 7, none of that 'Can't run this program full screen' nonsense.

Rewind to Windows 7 went very smoothly. Fuck Windows 10 for a few more months, not fit for purpose for me.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
Re: Windows 10...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 11:47:14 pm »
I am curious how well it handles itself on limited hardware systems. I have some older and modest office PC's that I may experiment with.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 11:54:12 pm »
Probably SATA driver. Symptoms look like if HDD is dropping out of the system. I had issues with SATA and win 10 on my PC, though a bit different. Took a few hours of digging the Internet until found a new version that supports win 10 and actually is compatible with my X79 chipset. For less exotic chipsets shouldn't be a problem to find updated version though.

Offline unitedatoms

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 04:07:48 am »
I installed Windows 10, and got my Atmel STK500 drivers to fail. Had to revert back to Wiindows 8.1  because of this. too bad
Interested in all design related projects no matter how simple, or complicated, slow going or fast, failures or successes

Offline DavidDLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 04:14:46 am »
I installed Windows 10, no problem so far, just to reinstall the antivirus for a newer version.

Offline Gribo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 06:00:53 am »
I installed WIN 10 over the weekend, the installer forced me to change language, and thus do a clean install. Had to reinstall all my applications, ran into compatibility problems with some old applications (OpenGL) and the Soundblaster's drivers are not working (Creative is supposed to release updated drivers in October). Overall, it is a nice OS, runs decently on my main machine, a Core 2 Quad with 4GB RAM.
I am available for freelance work.

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 06:09:04 am »
My main PC updated last night whilst I was out of the room whilst I was in the middle of work without asking!... Seems stable enough, but I will need to do a clean install when I get time.

Only problem so far is I cannot seem to find where NIC teaming is and the extra bandwidth speeds up video editing.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Offline ccs46

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 07:52:02 am »
Works fine on my Alienware 13, just a issue with the touch-pad driver. Just means I can't do gestures. (Never used them anyway.) Dell says an fix for that is coming soon. It has been one of the smoothest transitions I have ever experienced. Not sure why so many people are having issues...
Normal people... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet. - Scott Adams

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 08:25:36 am »
I selected the W10 download and now - four days later, it says they're working on making it better for some computers.
The compatibility wizard says I'm ok, but how long do I have to stop working before they decide to service my upgrade?
Will I get any warning, or will the system be 'new' - for better or worse - one morning without any further warning??
(yes, I took a W7 image a couple of days ago!)
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline Augustus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 01:24:07 pm »
You can force your upgrade by using the "Windows 10 Media Creation Tool" from the Microsoft Website. Download it, click on "Upgrade this PC now" and Bob's your uncle  :-+
Greetings from the Black Forest, Germany

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 02:53:07 pm »
it took a LOT to convince me to 'upgrade' from xp to win7.

from what I hear, win10 offers nothing of value at all over win7.  I can't understand why people would even WANT it???

win7 is finally mature and stable.  what -was- the purpose of 8,9,10 (was there even a 9?) other than to keep customers on the perma-upgrade and perma-pay path?

if your pc came with 10, fine.  but why are people CHOOSING to go to 10?  I really don't get it.  it will be less table and drivers will continue to be a problem, while MS works out their bugs.  maybe in a few years it will be 'ready'b ut now - I can't see any valid reason to jump on an alpha-test o/s like that.

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 02:54:46 pm »
if your pc came with 10, fine.  but why are people CHOOSING to go to 10?  I really don't get it.

D3D12.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 03:33:17 pm »
I keep saying, people should at least wait a month or two for them to find and patch their biggest fuck-ups. Surely you can wait that long for D3D12?
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 03:46:17 pm »
if your pc came with 10, fine.  but why are people CHOOSING to go to 10?  I really don't get it.  it will be less table and drivers will continue to be a problem, while MS works out their bugs.  maybe in a few years it will be 'ready'b ut now - I can't see any valid reason to jump on an alpha-test o/s like that.
I have a laptop with win 8.1 which I just hate, so updating to win 10 was no brainer. On the desktop PC i have win 7 which I wanted to reinstall for a long time but was too lazy because of the lot of apps. So if I was going to reinstall anyway, why not to win 10. Also tried insider preview a few months ago and it seemed OK, no tile crap like in win 8.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 03:52:12 pm »
you say 'why not win10?' and I say the exact opposite!  WHY win10?  other than the 'oh, the new shiny!' from MS, is there a real reason to go with such a new o/s version instead of the more known, stable version?

jumping on a new o/s seems rather strange to me.  you want stability and interoperability in an o/s and win10 is just too new.  and again, other than being new, what does it offer over win7?

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 04:01:50 pm »
Om my Laptop (Panasonic CF19) the Windows 10 installer say that it will not install the touch screen as it is not required who the hell are windows to tell me what is required on my laptop or not. I have a digitizer touch screen so I want it to work so as they say on Dragons den, "For that reason I am out"

Offline Augustus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 04:07:26 pm »
from what I hear, win10 offers nothing of value at all over win7.  I can't understand why people would even WANT it???

Well, you're now able to scroll through all windows by just hoovering your mouse over them and turn the wheel, weeheeee,  there you go...  :-DD

No need to first click in the window to make it active... Really cool feature, i'm sure Apple had it for ages but it's new to Windows.

Reasons for Upgrade: For me, it was just curiosity, to see what the buzz is all about. And since this is just my dedicated Interwebz Surf & Gamestation, with nothing really important or valuable on it, why not give it a try... Upgrade went smooth, without a single hiccup and I kind of like the new OS. It's not a perfect 10 yet but better than I expected...
Greetings from the Black Forest, Germany

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2015, 04:14:16 pm »
For me it offers no video stuttering and no slow rendering of internet browser on the second monitor (2x of 30" 2560x1600 monitors) without using any workarounds I need with win 7. In with 7 I needed to change refresh rate on the second monitor a bit, for example, from 59,97 Hz to 60,0 Hz but sometimes it happening anyway. Nothing other helps. This it long time known issue, for some reason windows 7 under even tiny graphic load, starts rendering second monitor at 2x reduced frequency.
Few examples:
http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/300197-lag-laggy-animations-multiple-displays-extend-desktop.html
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1845586/monitor-lags-game-full-screen-monitor-windows7.html
http://www.overclock.net/t/1172198/very-noticeable-ghosting-and-lag-only-on-second-monitor-after-upgrading-from-vista-to-7

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2015, 04:20:27 pm »
IXMLHTTPRequest2, MessageWebSocket, StreamWebSocket and the full WinRT SDK support is what made me upgrade from windows  7 to 10. I know windows 8 has it but that's not free.

SDK wise there is a major leap from Windows 7 onward for the newer advanced SDKs. Sure,  not too happy with all the marshaling going on and the focus on dotnet and com objects, OLE, ActiveX, etc that they've been pushing and calling it different ways. But with the growth of multicore CPUs it's time for it IMHO.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2015, 04:41:34 pm »
window raising is a reason to go with win10?  lol!

fwiw, my almost-30 year old windows manager on unix (twm variant, fvwm) has autoraise and autofocus ability (as options) on window hovers.  you mean windows JUST got around to adding that now?  hahaha.  too damned funny.

the window manager stuff on windows was never very customizable.  I never liked how MS did things.  you click on a field and the whole word is highlighted.  no way to change that behavior, either, and I hate it.  no way to change a lot of behaviors.

I guess this is why I stayed with unix all these years.  rarely does it say 'no!' to me.  and I never have to worry about phoning home from the o/s or apps or data leaks (win10 has some wifi data leaks that I'd never accept; hope they fix that next time around).

Offline BillyD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2015, 04:59:37 pm »
I have a new-ish Windows 8.1 laptop and the other day it told me it had downloaded windows 10 and was ready to install it.
I foolishly clicked the 'Schedule my installation' button, intending to schedule it for about 4 months time when it might be a bit more bedded down.
Unfortunately it turns out that you can only schedule your installation for sometime within the next 2 days. Bastards.
Now its like the beginning of the first Harry Potter movie. No matter what processes I kill, no matter what files I delete, no matter what registry keys I add or delete, no matter which updates I uninstall, it keeps popping up this window telling me it wants to upgrade.
Already I'm taking a strong dislike to 10, and my dislike of 8.1 has barely cooled off......

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2015, 05:41:12 pm »
I keep saying, people should at least wait a month or two for them to find and patch their biggest fuck-ups. Surely you can wait that long for D3D12?

I like Bethesda and Valve, I'm more than used to waiting for the program to usable before buying it or just waiting for it to come lol. And TBH I do as much gaming as I can on Linux just because I think it's actually a better platform for those who want to get the most out of their hardware.

I can wait, many can't. But I know enough to realise the bleeding edge may become much better than the old guard, but it rarely is right now. And I also think Vulkan may get more love than GL from Windows game devs so I may be able to just keep Win7 for the games that still only support Windows and not have to update the OS to update a library.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 06:29:32 pm »
My windows 8.1 laptop upgrade to 10 went fine, took a little over an hour. It did remove norton anti-virus but went to norton and found an upgrade download that worked fine.

So far I'm impressed. I put up with 8.1 only because I could ignore the METRO UI altogether and work from a more standard desktop. Win10 seems a better UI between traditional and the new multi-device UI. At least it's been stable so far.

Electronics is my love, software/PC is stuff I have to tolerate and/or work around.  ;)

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2015, 10:18:46 pm »

if your pc came with 10, fine.  but why are people CHOOSING to go to 10?  I really don't get it.

I feel exactly the same, but was prepared to 'take a look' as sooner or later I'll have to move on to 10 or something else, but after the image (so I can roll back) MS simply didn't deliver.
Better to know your adversary than bury my head in the sand!   I took the same approach from 2000/XP moving to W7

I tried Windows phone a while ago, and the family dropped it like a hot cake, Vista / W8 had the same effect...  W10 has potential, but only if I can test drive it at my convenience.

The single biggest thing that concerns me about W10 are the reports that is a 'fluid' platform, and I no longer have control of installation, licensing, etc...  e.g. 10.x will appear when they want, not when I want to update....
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf