Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 47482 times)

Offline 4to20Milliamps

• Regular Contributor
Re: Windows 8
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2013, 12:00:17 am »
Why everyone hangs onto the start button like it's their old security blanket is beyond me, I just made my own shutdown and restart buttons.

And there are a few handy apps.

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2013, 12:47:01 am »
Why everyone hangs onto the start button like it's their old security blanket is beyond me, I just made my own shutdown and restart buttons.

You think we need a start menu for shutdown and restart - just lol.

My start menu currently has 494 items arranged in 194 folders. Never mind the settings, documents and shutdown menus.

With the classic win95 style menu I can access any of them from an alphabetically sorted menu with flyout sub-menus. I can see them all without scrolling and it occupies about 1/4 of my screen.

I don't cling to the 'start button' I would welcome something that works better, since Win95 Microsoft have only offered things that work worse, culminating in Windows 8 which gives new meaning to the word worse.

Offline 4to20Milliamps

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2013, 12:53:27 am »
Did you even look at the picture I posted?

all you have to do is pin the link to application on the start screen, one click will open your application.

the desktop is still there, and you can set it up like any version of windows you want.

how exactly is that worse?

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2013, 01:01:43 am »

Windows 8 is a complete and absolute abomination....  Putting it on the desktop was a clear act of stupidity.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2013, 01:03:29 am »
For me, it's simple - I refuse to learn a new interface every time Microsoft craps one out. I don't care that it works just as well, the only thing it should be doing is getting the hell out of my way and letting me use my computer. I don't poke around at the OS user interface for shits and giggles, I use it to start programs and manipulate files. The marketing and design weenies' playtime is over when I sit at my computer.

Windows 8 is a complete and absolute abomination....  Putting it on the desktop was a clear act of stupidity.

I'm starting to get the feeling that Bill Gates burned your house down.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2013, 01:07:05 am »

Nope, Gnome 3 is in the same boat, crap = crap.

Offline 4to20Milliamps

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2013, 01:09:13 am »

I'm not here to sell windoze......

I'm just a user that has used every version since windows was originated and in my opinion the "start" screen works better than the "start" menu.

And I certainly don't want to get in a flame war, so I've said my piece and will go in peace.....you all carry on.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2013, 01:10:04 am »

Nope, Gnome 3 is in the same boat, crap = crap.

Gnome 3 is literally crap. Like someone took a giant shit, mashed it into the keyboard and uploaded the result to the Git repo. Windows 8 does not come anywhere near the craptacularity that is Gnome 3.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 01:12:58 am by c4757p »

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2013, 01:14:33 am »
craptacularity

:-DD

Once at this level, the level of crap is nearly indistinguishable.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2013, 01:16:35 am »
I'm just a user that has used every version since windows was originated and in my opinion the "start" screen works better than the "start" menu.

The fact that you're being polite and stating your opinion nicely doesn't matter when NERD RAGE!!!!

Uh, so... vi or emacs?

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2013, 01:27:57 am »
Did you even look at the picture I posted?

all you have to do is pin the link to application on the start screen, one click will open your application.

the desktop is still there, and you can set it up like any version of windows you want.

One click opens my application now. To find which of the 494 things I want to click I navigate a menu with flyout sub menus. In what way is presenting 494 large buttons in a scrolling array big enough to fill around 20 screens not worse?

Offline RJSC

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2013, 01:37:28 am »
I was a fairly happy user of Windows 7, but:

Windows 8 drove me to KDE on Linux

I'm doing everything on Linux for the past 3 months with more or less effort and I love the functionality of command line on Linux.
I dislike the damn unix approax to everything on a filesystem, even hardware devices. The only thing I'm missing from windows is the device manager and the way you install drivers.

Seeing the way Microsoft is going with Office (renting instead of selling) made me even happier to have switched to LibreOffice.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 01:41:17 am by RJSC »

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2013, 01:40:49 am »
I'm doing everything on Linux for the past 3 months
Seeing the way Microsoft is going with Office (renting instead of selling) made me even happier to have switched to LibreOffice.

I've been 100% m$ free for 10 years now, life is good, absolutely no regrets.  (Note:  I was drove this way from a 100% Microsoft guy)   :-+

Offline 4to20Milliamps

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2013, 01:51:45 am »
I'm doing everything on Linux for the past 3 months

I've been 100% m$ free for 10 years now, life is good, absolutely no regrets.  (Note:  I was drove this way from a 100% Microsoft guy)   :-+

You must write all your own drivers.

I've been down the Linux road too, never had so many crashes  ;D

Offline Nirios

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2013, 01:55:43 am »

What? You don't like buying Apps for Word or Excel?? :-DD  And you thought there was security flaws before...

Offline 4to20Milliamps

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2013, 02:03:03 am »
I have Libre office, unfortunately I have to use the microsoft stuff for work, group collaboration and what not.

free is always good especially when your work buys it for you.

let the nerd rage begin  ;D are you gonna let me diss linux like that?

Offline RJSC

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2013, 02:25:18 am »
let the nerd rage begin  ;D are you gonna let me diss linux like that?

You can't drag me to flame wars...
Even if you were a (cr)Apple fanboy. ;D

Offline peps1

• Regular Contributor
  • if you can't open it, you don't own it!
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2013, 01:28:56 pm »
Iv just been forced to move onto windows 8 (due to my 2007 Macbook catching on fire) and having to go out and grab the first cheap laptop I could find.

Im really not a fan of the way they are crow-baring this tablet GUI onto a desk top....and for the life of me cant work out why they got rid of the start button?????

Have managed to get the Start button back with StatIsBack......but as soon as there is native Adobe support for linux I think there will be a mass exodus.

Get your Start button back!

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2013, 01:39:58 pm »
Code: [Select]
All signs so far point to Windows 8 being a flop.

"Unfortunately, it seems clear that the Windows 8 launch not only didn't provide a positive boost to the PC market, but
appears to have slowed the market," IDC Vice President Bob O'Donnell said.

:-DD

Source:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/research-firm-pc-sales-plunge-windows-flops-18926235?page=2#.UWa8q0BDv6U

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2013, 03:10:42 pm »
Win8 only needs some refinement...
1) bring back start menu (customized to 95-XP style. Vista & 7 still sux), even if the windows button has to work to switch between desktop and tablet now i dont care. at least i still can click it with a mouse.
2) capability to group Apps in a folder in tablet GUI.
3) Tapping to move Icon is a PITA (nevermind organizing 400+ icons, no thanks). why they are stupid enough not to intelligently detect "move icon mode" by long downward swift and move around. currently the icons try to resist and play tugwar game with my tap.
4) and stop that stupid flat 2 colors palette icons ok? we are in 3D world icons now! you M$ thinks its cool? its not, its Darwin evolution! (back to the era of Telnet graphics except higher resolution)
but a big thumbs up to Win8 is it feels very light and responsive in my oldie Atom 1.6GHz 1GB RAM netbook.

as the OP 1 years ago said, it could be a good thing to Linux, but until some Linux movements settle with some aspects/problems, i'll stick with my XP.
1) one or very few, well accepted Linux version instead of many confusing versions
2) easy installation of device drivers and availability of drivers from most or all manufacturers
3) many famous softwares like Altium and Photoshop to name a few can be run in Linux. and many involvement from small developers to create giant collection of variety of softwares type and options
If Linux has to go "paid enterprise" and "a complete single click to install all with no programming knowledge requirement" version, i think this is the time, if it has to go "closed source" i dont care i'm not part of it, all i know is a usable, working and practical OS for hobbies, hackers, developers community and professionals alike. not guys and girls that go clubbing. Paid and closed Linux version means calling "profit-based" professional software developers and manufacturers around the globe into the game, which i believe will give the BOOM effect (with marketing effort of course!)
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2013, 03:27:29 pm »
Brief history ..

:-+ Win XP
:-- Vista
:-+ Win 7
:-- Win 8
:-+ ... Win 9 ?

See the pattern ? Just wait until Windows 9 released, everyone will be happy as before.  :-DD

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2013, 03:33:25 pm »
in my experience...
:-- Win 7
?? Win 9 ?
See the pattern?
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2013, 03:38:51 pm »
in my experience...
:-- Win 7
?? Win 9 ?
See the pattern?

Nah .. your taste is just different from mainstream.   :-DD

But seriously ? geez Mech, can't believe you're still stuck at 32 bit/4 GB memory in this era of convenient and the luxury say like running multiple VMs.  :palm:

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2013, 04:46:00 pm »
1) simply, i just cant let go the "start menu" with sub menus, XP style, not W7 style. i can go among 3 sublevel menus in split second in XP.
2) i have devices, i wont take risk of degraded functionality, or even buying new one in latest OS. my OS is for work, not for fun anymore.
3) no i'm not stuck, but i'm happy. i can move up and retreat back. where most of you will not be able to live the way i live ;) :P

in other word, i'm fully forward compatible (if i want to) but i doubt you can be "backward compatible". my old apps in XP still runnable in W8 :-+ anyway, i doubt you people will understand. to simply put it... i'm just an old guy mourning about the good old days waiting to be erased from existance.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2013, 06:01:01 pm »
I have been playing with Windows 8 for a few days now and think it is quite possibly the best thing to ever happen to the Linux community.

Anyone else played with Win 8?

Yes, I did. I'm actually typing this on Windows 8. I tried the Customer Preview and loved it. There are so many improvements in W8 (memory management, scheduler, multi monitor support, file copying, networking and so on). Now it's on most of my workstations and also on my laptop (which is a Convertible and has a touch screen). The new interface still has some oddities, but for a first version of a completely new desktop after 18 years of evolution it's actually very good.

I also don't understand what the fuss is about re. the Start Menu button, because quite frankly for everyone who is not mentally challenged it should really not matter much if you click on a button on the lower left corner or just move the mouse in the lower left corner (or use the Windows key). The What-once-was-called-Metro interface can easily be treated like a full screen start menu, no need for a touch screen. But then, the same mob is screaming "burn it!" with almost every version of Windows since Windows 2.11, so nothing new here. I stopped listening to their whining when they repeated all the Vista nonsense that occasionally is still spread around (it was BS then, and is still BS today).

I also can't see why W8 should benefit Linux, because at the end of the day, an OS is not a purpose in itself (well, for some it is I guess) but is a means of providing the software infrastructure for running applications, and it doesn't matter how good or bad Linux is, if the applications aren't there no-one gives a damn (aside from the fact that even most current Linux distros still exhibit far worse issues than a missing Start button). Not a problem if the stuff that's available for Linux is good enough or one can write its own applications (that's why the embedded folks love Linux), tough if one needs certain commercial applications or wants a system that 'just works'.

The decline in consumer PC sales are mainly because of tablets, and also to a big part because most PC vendors couldn't be arsed to come up with proper computers for the Windows 8 launch (all they did was taking last year's models and stick Win8 on them). And corporate PC sales are stagnating because most companies have only now upgraded from Windowsxp to Windows 7, and this also only because MS is dropping support for XP soon.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf