Author Topic: windows 95 new zealand  (Read 10645 times)

Offline sony mavicaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
windows 95 new zealand
« on: September 15, 2015, 09:32:02 am »
https://youtu.be/W9Jn3GIwgCM

damn i would have loved to be there sadly i would have been only 5
MORE POWER!

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
Re: windows 95 new zealand
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 09:38:04 am »
Wow, that was a blast from the past!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 09:48:11 am »
Still got the CD in the cupboard.  :scared:
Shit I must be old.  :palm:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline DenzilPenberthy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 10:44:44 am »
Me too :) When did the mid-nineties get so old?!?!   :palm:

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 11:12:26 am »
I do remember that launch. At that time I had at home Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and was migrating to OS/2 3. Technically a better system, but without the ecosystem that Microsoft enjoyed... I eventually migrated to Windows 95 (Chicago) for a short time before OSR2 (Detroit) came out, where it enjoyed a lot more stability. I still used OS/2 4 with its advanced voice recognition system, but by then it was clear that Microsoft had won the battle. In parallel I started dabbling with Patrick Volkerding's Slackware Linux distribution, bought from Walnut Creek in a 6-CD package full of apps. UNIX on a PC was something out of this world!

If there is one thing that is most valuable until today was how to create a system with multiple boot partitions, managed by OS/2's incredible boot manager. When OS/2 was canned, I ended up learning how to use Lilo (Slackware's boot manager), a much less impressive boot manager at that time.

Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline isaiahA

• Contributor
    • Isaiahs website
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 11:25:40 pm »
I used to have a windows 98 computer
i would like to have windows 95 someday. :)
isaiahA

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 03:30:47 am »
I used to have a windows 98 computer
i would like to have windows 95 someday. :)
Don't bother with 95, Win 98SE was the best of that bunch and XP was better still.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 03:35:07 am »
There was a chain computer store (Computer City) that held a Windows 95 launch event.
At midnight on the day the OS was released my roommate and I went to the launch event and bought our copies of Win-95 at 1:00 in the morning. :D
The store was packed. 
Sue AF6LJ

Offline fivefish

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 03:40:28 am »
I remember that day... my room mate wanted to go out that midnight to buy Win95. I told him no way, I'll buy it tomorrow during lunch break at work.

I saw a TV news clip though, a reporter was asking this older guy what's so good about the new Windows 95. The guy just said "Actually, I don't know what they're for... but people are lining up and buying them so I figure I'd go get one too" --- true story.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 08:09:00 am »
I remember when it launched. I had a 486DX-2 at the time and no compelling reason to upgrade. Plus, I was 11 and that was a lot of cash to shell out! Especially after having to pay my parents back for $200 in long distance charges after spending quite a few hours dialed into a Chicago exchange to play Doom at 9600bps, whoops!

That actually reminds me... Not long after, my uncle, who worked for the telco, left me his laptop to fix one weekend. I snagged the numbers and passwords for a few businesses with local numbers (one of which was the food giant Smithfield Foods). At night I would dial into their PBX system, have it dial out to the long distance BBS, then I'd hang up and have it dial me back and it would merge the two calls. I did it a few times, didn't get caught and then got bolder and started calling *really* long distance. I played Doom with people in Australia, England, New Zealand, South Africa and made some great friends, some of which I actually met or still talk to today.

My free long distance lasted for about 5 years, until 2000 when the last PBX I had access codes for was replaced. At that point I had access to the Internet anyway, so it didn't matter much. It was still nice for voice calls though... (Oh man, when I was 15 I called this girl in Ireland that I'd met in a chat room. Mannnn, that accent and the dirty things she said in it...)

I don't know what any this has to do with Windows 95...

Sent from my Tablet
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 08:12:01 am »

I used to keep it about purely for the Weezer video. Buddy Holly was a sweet tune.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 08:57:58 am »

I used to keep it about purely for the Weezer video. Buddy Holly was a sweet tune.
Still got  the Win 3.11 floppies too. :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 09:37:15 am »
i was working in the software industry when it came out, fun times  :-+

i can also remember the privilege of running windows 2/386 on my swish 386DX PC :-DD

Online SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 08:00:27 pm »
Tossed the pack of stiffy disks last year, as none were readable and I needed the space. Found I still have a pack or three of Win98 still shrunk, still with the COA on them. I was doing a lot of new computers all the same, so simply Ghosted the one drive ( took the same time as assembling the kit into a case for the drive, rather than the 3 hours for the WindoZe installer script) and used regedit to enter the key as needed, then put the disk packs into the case, closed it up and delivered with a brand new 14in monitor to replace the older 286 PC it was upgrading. Then the training and retraining of people in how a mouse worked.

Still have the big box of 5.25in disks with Novell Netware 3.1 on it, along with the 10kg of printed manuals. The server is still on a zipped file on my computer, just in case it is needed, though I doubt I will be able to run the old database any more, unless I use Dosbox.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 09:31:20 am »

Oh dude, I had forgotten about that. After I saw that video, I promptly went out and bought Weezer's album, so I guess it worked?

What's with these homies disin' our girls? Why do they gotta frooonnnt? What did we ever do to these guys, that made them so vi-o-lunt.

Wee eww I look just like Buddy Holly oh oh and you're Mary Tyler Moore!

(I've always wondered why they picked Mary Tyler Moore for that lyric. I can't think of any connection between them. Wasn't Buddy Holly long dead before she was famous? The Dick van Dike show was in the mid 60's, right? And Buddy Holly drove his Chevy to a levy, err I mean died in a plane crash in, what, the early 50's? I suppose I'm over analyzing it, but damnit Weezer, pick a girl from the right era!)

Sent from my Tablet
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 10:02:35 am »

I have to say, most of us owe a lot to Microsoft. Even though Windows 95 is over 20 years old now, I can still see similarities in computing which have carried over to today. Although these days, it seems to be this amalgam of Microsoft, Apple and Android.

:-+

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 11:10:14 am »
I much prefer this other version of "Start me up" that came out shortly after the release...

https://youtu.be/DOwQKWiRJAA
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Artlav

• Frequent Contributor
    • Orbital Designs
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 02:27:07 pm »
"Cheap copies from China that carry bugs that can destroy the system"...  :palm:
That's an old piece of anti-epistemology.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 12:12:13 am »
Tossed the pack of stiffy disks last year, as none were readable and I needed the space. Found I still have a pack or three of Win98 still shrunk, still with the COA on them. I was doing a lot of new computers all the same, so simply Ghosted the one drive ( took the same time as assembling the kit into a case for the drive, rather than the 3 hours for the WindoZe installer script) and used regedit to enter the key as needed, then put the disk packs into the case, closed it up and delivered with a brand new 14in monitor to replace the older 286 PC it was upgrading. Then the training and retraining of people in how a mouse worked.

Still have the big box of 5.25in disks with Novell Netware 3.1 on it, along with the 10kg of printed manuals. The server is still on a zipped file on my computer, just in case it is needed, though I doubt I will be able to run the old database any more, unless I use Dosbox.

yesterday i found at a salvation army store an old cd of windows 95 and also found an old windows 95 update disc and a windows NT workstation and it was boxed looked brand new  copy of nt was $3 others were 50cents each
MORE POWER!

Offline Homer J Simpson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2015, 07:07:09 pm »
Windows 95 Video Guide with Jennifer Aniston and Matthew Perry

Jennifer Aniston oh my.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 07:12:07 pm by Homer J Simpson »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 11:31:45 am »
Windows 95 Video Guide with Jennifer Aniston and Matthew Perry

Jennifer Aniston oh my.

lmao
MORE POWER!

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 10:08:20 pm »
I wasn't alive during the release of Win95, but I used it a lot at school and it was great.  ;D
I grew up with XP, though...  :-+

And this ad about Win95 that I happened to watch was cringeworthy:

(It even says HORRIBLE in the title!)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 10:13:07 pm by crispy_tofu »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2015, 06:56:51 am »
I wasn't alive during the release of Win95, but I used it a lot at school and it was great.  ;D
I grew up with XP, though...  :-+

And this ad about Win95 that I happened to watch was cringeworthy:

(It even says HORRIBLE in the title!)

you must be young
MORE POWER!

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2015, 07:20:11 am »
I find it funny when people look back at Windows 95 and thought it was good. It's very true, it was much better than it's predecessor, Windows 3.11 and DOS which really were bad. Windows 95 just borrowed many concepts from other OSes which had been around for a long time such as Acorn OS and Mac OS. I remember being a teenager when Windows 95 was released and couldn't wait to see it but when I did, my first impression was it's OK, then when it crashed lots my opinion changed: it was crap. It was very unstable and security wasn't even considered, so it was woefully unprepared for the Internet age.

The main reason why Windows did so well was cheap, standardised hardware. The alternative platforms were relatively expensive so didn't achieve the same market share.

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2015, 10:22:53 am »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf