Author Topic: Windows is getting disgusting  (Read 159333 times)

Offline switchedmodepsu

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Re: Windows is getting disgusting
« Reply #625 on: February 07, 2017, 06:11:35 am »
All this nonsense makes Linux sound simpler by the minute.

Linux isn't hard, Windows isn't hard, nor is Mac OS X.

Online Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #626 on: February 07, 2017, 08:48:10 am »

Try installing Gentoo Linux using the skills of an average Windows user, then get back to me. ;-)

Offline Sigmoid

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #627 on: February 07, 2017, 01:09:34 pm »
Honestly, this bashing has been going on ever since Windows 95. MS does make blunders time to time, but ultimately, so far I mostly like Win10 - it's a clear improvement over 8.1. I'm sure you can hack 8.1 into something usable, but it doesn't start out that way, while Win10 only needs some decluttering and basic security hardening (unless you're up against a three-letter agency, I'd say built-in tools such as gpedit are fine for that, and if you ARE, use Linux OpenBSD instead).

The moment 8.1 buried itself in my eyes was when I saw they have a "Control Panel" AND a "Settings", with settings randomly distributed between the two. How lazy and shite can you be as a UX engineer to do this? And sure, Windows has a history of hiding "advanced" settings in apps you mostly need to call up via command line (like the aforementioned gpedit), but not basic settings like this...

Also, the weird mouse gestures and the "start page", nope thanks.
(And the fact that it included clearly untested drivers for old Intel integrated network controllers, so that the thing went BSOD every 15 minutes on my somewhat dated Lenovo Thinkpad.)

Yes Linux is probably becoming more and more of a valid solution for workstations, but hardware support is still often an issue. The hardhat ideological approach of the Kernel team to hardware drivers really doesn't help a whole lot - sure it would be best if all hardware would be based on open interfaces, but it often isn't - and what we get is weird hacks to include proprietary code by circumventing GPL, and half-baked drivers.

As for Ubuntu desktop, while I like how Ubuntu Server feels, the few times I tried Desktop always turned me off of it - bugs, weird shit happening all over the place, plus the integrated spyware cloud capability, fuck that shit, if I want that I'll install Windows.

So for now my main workhorse is a Mac, and I'm playing around with Windows on the side to "keep up"... :) But with Win10, I no longer have too big problems with getting a PC as a core machine in the future - I like Mac OS better, but Apple has really dropped the soap on the hardware front. What's with that shit keyboard, it's up to par with the rubber chiclet on old Spectrums in terms of crappiness.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 01:16:05 pm by Sigmoid »

Offline switchedmodepsu

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #628 on: February 07, 2017, 03:12:22 pm »

Try installing Gentoo Linux using the skills of an average Windows user, then get back to me. ;-)

I'm glad you feel special and "elite". Which of us has knowledge that we weren't taught or didn't have to learn? I can install any Linux distro you care to name as a long term command line user since 2004, and I'm sure many other people could too. There's no such thing as the "average Windows user" except as a fabrication in the mind which people use to artificially elevate their "skills" so as to bolster their weak sense of self-worth, so they appear to be a "guru" in the eyes of those they allow to believe this myth.

Linux commands are just typing, some maths, knowing one's way around the node based filesystem where "everything is a file", and memory, not many can't achieve that.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #629 on: February 07, 2017, 04:41:19 pm »

I'm glad you feel special and "elite". Which of us has knowledge that we weren't taught or didn't have to learn? I can install any Linux distro you care to name as a long term command line user since 2004, and I'm sure many other people could too. There's no such thing as the "average Windows user" except as a fabrication in the mind which people use to artificially elevate their "skills" so as to bolster their weak sense of self-worth, so they appear to be a "guru" in the eyes of those they allow to believe this myth.

Linux commands are just typing, some maths, knowing one's way around the node based filesystem where "everything is a file", and memory, not many can't achieve that.

Gentoo is a bit of a special case since you have to build it all from scratch and set up *everything* manually. That's not really a fair comparison though, Gentoo does not represent Linux as a whole, and to use it as an example of Linux being difficult doesn't really make sense, it's for people who like to do things the hard way, like building a car from scratch out of junkyard parts.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #630 on: February 07, 2017, 04:59:15 pm »
In the end you have to know how to use/configure something and if you only know one OS then configuring something in a different OS is hard because you don't know it.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline slicendice

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #631 on: February 07, 2017, 06:16:57 pm »
Its the OEM that came on the laptop.  I thought I'd skip the step of rebuilding it with 7 then doing the upgrade bu just wiping it and installing 10 from the start but no go. 
If I have to fix/rebuild/reinstall7 then it will just stay on it.
I believe you can only install straight to 10 if you had previously upgraded to it.  Since you were running 7 before, I'm pretty sure you'll need to install 7 and then upgrade to 10.

Nope, untrue. He can Google it and find out evidence to the contrary. You can validate the install of 10 with a 7 COA, so long as it was validated before the "free Windows 10" offer expired.
The "free" offer has officially ended, but the feature is still active, just upgrade/clean install and activate with Windows 7 Key, once you can access Windows 10 desktop. It should still work. But please don't try an OEM VL key, it won't work even if it's the sticker slapped somewhere in the bottom of your laptop. That is a Volume licence key and can't be used for anything useful when doing automated activations.

Anyone who has a Activated Windows 7, 8.0 or 8.1 and want to clean install straight before having gotten the digital license, can do so by running a tool on the Win7 computer that generates an XML-file, which you can then copy to a backup location and once Win10 is installed you can copy that file to a specific location and reboot. AND VOILA, Win10 is activated even though you did not go through the Upgrade-->Activation process before clean installing Win10 for automated activation.

Offline Hensingler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #632 on: February 07, 2017, 07:26:25 pm »
Honestly, this bashing has been going on ever since Windows 95.

Not even close. No one had any problem ignoring and skipping over ME or vista, or ignoring 8. The extreme crappiness of windows 10 is supposed to be the future.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #633 on: February 07, 2017, 08:04:45 pm »
Honestly, this bashing has been going on ever since Windows 95.

Not even close. No one had any problem ignoring and skipping over ME or vista, or ignoring 8. The extreme crappiness of windows 10 is supposed to be the future.

Past versions were normally either a matter of getting used to minor UI changes or contemporary hardware not being powerful enough to adequately run the new OS. The latter is not an issue anymore, even low end PCs are way more powerful than the average user needs. Win8-10 is a major regression in the UI and the forced updates mean they can change it in any way they like, at any time, for any reason, and they have made it as difficult as possible for users to opt out or roll back.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #634 on: February 08, 2017, 01:09:51 am »

What a shame your information is inaccurate, outdated, and insecure:

HostFission - Full Server Monitoring and Management Solutions.
https://hostfission.com/
https://twitter.com/HostFission

Note: I am NOT a moderator or arbiter of disputes, my Admin level of access is so that I can perform management of the server on behalf of Dave. Do not contact me over such issues

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #635 on: February 08, 2017, 01:54:22 am »
Gentoo is not that hard.  Real me run Slackware  :popcorn:

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #636 on: February 08, 2017, 01:58:43 am »
Gentoo is not that hard.  Real me run Slackware  :popcorn:

LFS. Slack's just a time waste these days. All the pain, none of the gain.

Offline anfang

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #637 on: February 08, 2017, 02:04:06 am »
Don't let Torvalds see you talking trash on his binaries, he'll whoop your ass with his pasty Finnish fists.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #638 on: February 08, 2017, 02:08:56 am »
Slackware's BDFL is Pat not Linus :)

Offline anfang

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #639 on: February 08, 2017, 02:10:18 am »
Slackware's BDFL is Pat not Linus :)

Who is Pat - Patrick?

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #640 on: February 08, 2017, 02:38:59 am »
Yes, Linux is 'just the kernel'  Patrick is the BDFL for Slackware.

Offline anfang

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #641 on: February 08, 2017, 02:43:49 am »
Yes, Linux is 'just the kernel'  Patrick is the BDFL for Slackware.

I know who Linus is and what the kernel is, and that ONLY the kernel is Linux, I asked who "Pat" is? Sounds dubious.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #642 on: February 08, 2017, 02:47:53 am »

Offline anfang

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #643 on: February 08, 2017, 02:50:10 am »
I like BSD, far more efficient, logical naming, packages etc. I also like Linux, but BSD... is super.

Offline slicendice

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #644 on: February 08, 2017, 09:31:06 am »
What a shame your information is inaccurate, outdated, and insecure:

Care to explain what you mean by this statement?

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #645 on: February 08, 2017, 12:22:17 pm »
I like BSD, far more efficient, logical naming, packages etc. I also like Linux, but BSD... is super.

Slackware uses the bsd style inits rather than systemd so its the best of both worlds :)

Windows isn't the easiest thing to install now a days either.  With 4 of us in the house I'm reinstalling someone's windows every few months and fixing other in between.  A windows reinstall takes at minimum a couple hours if not longer by the time you apply all the updates and the work arounds for issues.
I buy myself a 'refurbished' laptop every couple years so I can pass mine down to one of the kids and in 30 minutes I';ve wiped it and am running Slackware already, its soo much quicker and easier to install and setup.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #646 on: February 08, 2017, 01:05:49 pm »
wow this last page reminded me of /g/
very bad memories

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #647 on: February 09, 2017, 08:41:27 pm »
 I STILL don't know what people do that they have to reinstall Windows every few months or every year. I have NEVER had to do that to any machine in my household or under my control. Every one has lasted until the machine itself was replaced, in my case usually 5 years or more - and that's usually because I get the itch to build a new machine, not because it doesn't do what I need it to do. My current desktop is that old, but I did upgrade 7 to 10 on it. My server is more like 7 years old now, never rebuilt. My other machines are also on shorter lifecycles because everything I have is now running 10, so it goes back to whenever I got the free update notification - the oldest one about a year now. And even less savvy people - the machine I built for my ex in-laws is still running just fine for the past 3 or 4 years since I had to replace a dead hard drive, still Windows 7 on that one. I haven't even touched it for any real maintenance in over a year and a half, it only updates because I have it set for automatic updates, not because they know how to do it, and if you are skeptical of their level of expertise, the last time they contacted me is because they got one of those fake calls from 'Microsoft' and they weren't sure if it was legit or a scam, so they had to ask me.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #648 on: February 09, 2017, 09:44:39 pm »
usually its the kids turning them off without a proper shutdown or during an update.  But I also didn't lock out IE because a few school web pages still require it so they still will use IE for something else by mistake and get malware.
Plus I just don't feel like wasting time on maintaining windows, again I shouldn't have to, if a free OS can stay stable without tinkering then a paid for os should be able too.

Online rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #649 on: February 10, 2017, 01:30:33 am »
Installing and uninstalling software causes registry bloat, because nothing ever completely uninstalls. Little dregs are left here and there throughout the Registry. Windows has to sift through the mess all the time.

This is why I require most software to run in portable mode with minimal to no need for the Registry.

Another thing is Windows keeps track of all your most recently used files and such, even if you turn that "feature" off. There can be thousands of these entries in the Registry. Again, more cruft to be sifted through.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf