Author Topic: Windows is getting disgusting  (Read 160429 times)

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Windows is getting disgusting
« Reply #650 on: February 10, 2017, 02:38:20 am »
I haven't looked at any windows newer than xp, does it still make a reg entry every time a usb device is plugged in?  That was one of the XP issues I had.  After months of plugging and unplugging my backup drive I had to clean out the reg to get it to see the drive.

Offline anfang

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #651 on: February 10, 2017, 04:02:50 am »
I haven't looked at any windows newer than xp, does it still make a reg entry every time a usb device is plugged in?  That was one of the XP issues I had.  After months of plugging and unplugging my backup drive I had to clean out the reg to get it to see the drive.

I hope you have good security strategies if you're still on XP! It's a great OS, but come on...

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #652 on: February 10, 2017, 07:12:25 am »

I hope you have good security strategies if you're still on XP! It's a great OS, but come on...

I retired XP except on an old laptop I use when I need a real parallel port but I don't buy into all of the FUD about old operating systems and the security risks for the most part. I've seen zero evidence of the malware and exploit apocalypse everyone was fretting over. As long as one uses a browser other than IE and avoids doing sketchy things it's probably going to be fine. I realize security by obscurity is not the best strategy but the chances of someone stumbling across a random XP machine on the web and then taking the trouble to hack it is minimal. I've cleaned up a lot of infections over the years and I still don't think I've ever encountered a single exploit victim, rather in every case it was someone installing something sketchy, being tricked by a fake virus scanner popup or crapware bundled with legitimate software. Every single instance.

I've noticed Microsoft themselves spreading the same FUD about Windows 7 despite the fact that it's still supported for several more years. I have little doubt they are partially responsible for doing the same for XP once they became desperate to get people to upgrade.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #653 on: February 10, 2017, 11:54:27 am »

This is/was back when I was on XP.  The USB issue, the resume suspend issue, the swap memory issue and of course the IE/security issues drove me to Linux.  I only use windows on my work provided laptops now so I don't have admin rights to dig in but can confirm all the user issues are still there, the resume issue, the shutdown/reboot while working, the memory usage, etc.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #654 on: February 10, 2017, 12:03:41 pm »

I retired XP except on an old laptop I use when I need a real parallel port but I don't buy into all of the FUD about old operating systems and the security risks for the most part. I've seen zero evidence of the malware and exploit apocalypse everyone was fretting over. As long as one uses a browser other than IE and avoids doing sketchy things it's probably going to be fine. I realize security by obscurity is not the best strategy but the chances of someone stumbling across a random XP machine on the web and then taking the trouble to hack it is minimal. I've cleaned up a lot of infections over the years and I still don't think I've ever encountered a single exploit victim, rather in every case it was someone installing something sketchy, being tricked by a fake virus scanner popup or crapware bundled with legitimate software. Every single instance.

My daughters was the last xp laptop we had and last summer my son poured water on it so its gone now.  Theirs are all windows 7 except for my wife's which came with 8 and was unusable for 6 months so she didn't have anything to use going to 10.  My son has  10 on his desktop and 7 on his laptop.  My daughter was using 7 on my wife's old netbook but it decided to upgrade itsself to 10 and would take 20-30 minutes to boot after so I bought her a newer laptop with 7 already on it and just formatted the netbook and stuck Slackware on it and its usable again.

IE is my biggest issue with windows, I might have stayed if they hadn't integrated the browser so deep into the OS.  I had to use IE and a simple typo in the address bar took me to a malware site and despite being locked down as a non admin, etc.  After the speed and stability of windows 2000 XP was a big letdown.

Offline CraigHB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #655 on: February 11, 2017, 03:44:43 pm »
I don't buy into all of the FUD about old operating systems and the security risks for the most part.

That seems to be the case, a lot of FUD about computer security.  The only times I've had any problems personally was from landing on hostile web sites when I was running IE up until a few years ago.  The browser seems to be the entry point for malware you really have to be concerned about.  After I went to a more secure browser with a good IP filter (Chrome with uBlock Origin), I haven't had more any trouble. 

I think MS likes to motivate people by using FUD about computer security.  It's really just a marketing ploy.  There's probably some improvement in security from one OS to the next, but I don't think it's enough to warrant running out to buy the next version as soon as it releases.  In fact there may be security issues with a new version because unknown issues may exist.  I'd be surprised if someone can genuinely show a difference in security between win7 and win10.  As for winXP its only failing in my mind is that it's no longer supported.  I think it was the best product MS ever made.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #656 on: February 11, 2017, 03:57:15 pm »
Problem is it doesn't matter how much security they add to new versions of windows until they remove IE from it there will always be that nice big insecure hole.

In other news I see they are changing the UI again for 10, more lipstick on a pig.

Offline avrishuvorlaz

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #657 on: February 11, 2017, 04:30:34 pm »
Buy Mac, poroblem go away forever.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #658 on: February 11, 2017, 05:17:38 pm »
Macs have their own set of problems though, there is a lot of software that is simply not available for Mac and to run it you end up running Windows anyway.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #659 on: February 11, 2017, 05:36:28 pm »
Yeah if you're going to get a mac, which is closed and proprietary like Windows, may as well just go Linux, you'll run into the same set of compatibility issues but at least it's an open platform backed by a large community that will run on commodity hardware.  A mac is a closed black box more or less. 

The following users thanked this post: Circlotron

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #660 on: February 11, 2017, 05:37:55 pm »
I retired XP except on an old laptop I use when I need a real parallel port ...

Lack of a printer port was a problem on my new PC but I did find one that sits on a PCIe slot that I have working.  I used one of the internal USB ports to install a 2G stick that I boot when I need to run the older software.  Right now, just DOS.   :-DD 

Even managed to get the old firewire working on it.   :-DD

Still not a big fan of Windows 10.  Just too much fluff.  But it has been very stable.   
How electrically robust is your meter?? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsK99WXk9VhcghnAauTBsbg

Offline avrishuvorlaz

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #661 on: February 11, 2017, 06:38:24 pm »
Macs have their own set of problems though, there is a lot of software that is simply not available for Mac and to run it you end up running Windows anyway.

"A lot of software" = an outdated myth - name some...

http://www.macyourself.com/2010/03/21/11-common-myths-that-keep-people-from-switching-to-macs/

Offline avrishuvorlaz

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #662 on: February 11, 2017, 06:42:33 pm »
Yeah if you're going to get a mac, which is closed and proprietary like Windows, may as well just go Linux, you'll run into the same set of compatibility issues but at least it's an open platform backed by a large community that will run on commodity hardware.  A mac is a closed black box more or less.

Translation: "I am a Linux fan who wants people to come to the platform I am on, because I use it, regardless of what is easier for the individual person."

This whole "Closed and proprietary" nonsense is not a reason to avoid a platform - I GUARANTEE you the quality of support for Macs is many leagues higher and of a more professional, less argumentative nature than the free for all "too many cooks spoil the broth" of Linux forums.

Linux: Free = "You're on your own, go and READ THE MANAUL <rant rant at user>"
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 06:44:11 pm by avrishuvorlaz »

Offline slicendice

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #663 on: February 11, 2017, 06:53:13 pm »
Windows, Linux, OS X, all same in the end, they just look different. But I must admit that on Linux one can do a bit more when it comes to managing the system, because of the openness. Most stuff that you can hack into a Linux box you can most likely do on OS X too though. On Windows these hacks can be a bit more tricky.

But when it comes to quality software, Windows and OS X are far more superior.

For networking, Linux beats them all. Maybe because it is easy to remove all extra bloat on Linux and recompile, while on OS X or Windows it is not possible.

I don't know...I use them all, they all have their PROS and CONS.

EDIT: A MAC was superior to all of the other computers while they still were PowerPCs, but after they degraded their system to Intel X86_64 architecture MACs are just PCs. :-)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 06:56:11 pm by slicendice »

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #664 on: February 11, 2017, 06:53:40 pm »
I have seen Apple's support, it is not any better than Microsoft's.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #665 on: February 11, 2017, 07:02:00 pm »
Macs are very nice systems, we have a few at work and a friend of mine has been a Mac guy for a long time. The hardware is really slick, definitely a notch above most PC clone laptops and the OS is nice and clean, I never cared for Steve Jobs as a person but his extreme attention to detail is reflected in MacOS and iOS.

None of that is important though if it doesn't support the software you use, and I happen to rely heavily on software that only works on Windows or in some cases Linux. I'd have to run one or both of those operating systems anyway even if I had a Mac so it doesn't make much sense to me. I may well get my mom a Macbook when her current Win7 laptop dies, she's not computer literate at all and I think it would save me some support time.

The following users thanked this post: avrishuvorlaz

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #666 on: February 11, 2017, 07:33:26 pm »

Quality software?  Like Excel which has turned a couple of my big projects into .tmp files?  Sharepoint which has lost documents?  .NET which still brings servers to their knees?  Server 2003 bugs which microsoft closes your case with a workaround instead of a fix?

I have to use windows at work and I've had these issues.

Offline avrishuvorlaz

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #667 on: February 11, 2017, 09:47:28 pm »

You are a survey sample of ONE person, and your viewpoint is not reflected by the masses.

Offline avrishuvorlaz

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #668 on: February 11, 2017, 09:51:07 pm »
Windows, Linux, OS X, all same in the end, they just look different. But I must admit that on Linux one can do a bit more when it comes to managing the system, because of the openness. Most stuff that you can hack into a Linux box you can most likely do on OS X too though. On Windows these hacks can be a bit more tricky.

For networking, Linux beats them all. Maybe because it is easy to remove all extra bloat on Linux and recompile, while on OS X or Windows it is not possible.

EDIT: A MAC was superior to all of the other computers while they still were PowerPCs, but after they degraded their system to Intel X86_64 architecture MACs are just PCs. :-)

It's Mac, not "MAC"; it's a name, not an acronym.

It's futile attempting to demonstrate known givens in places like this, everyone's got some "hate" (?!) to spread, based on ignorance and having barely (if at all) having used, let alone TOUCHED a computer running said platform they are attempting to dismiss.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #669 on: February 11, 2017, 10:28:25 pm »

You are a survey sample of ONE person, and your viewpoint is not reflected by the masses.

My experience comes from being a local VAR in the GEM market having several customers who just had to have macs and got fed up with the support.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #670 on: February 11, 2017, 10:32:26 pm »

It's futile attempting to demonstrate known givens in places like this, everyone's got some "hate" (?!) to spread, based on ignorance and having barely (if at all) having used, let alone TOUCHED a computer running said platform they are attempting to dismiss.

Well, I'm typing this on an ageing Core Duo Mac mini, there's two Mac notebooks in the house, also a G5 iMac and a G5 PowerMac both still in daily use (and one linux box in daily use) so this is not a Mac unfriendly household, and yet you still manage to sound like a rabid fanboy to me.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline avrishuvorlaz

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #671 on: February 11, 2017, 10:51:44 pm »

Well, I'm typing this on an ageing Core Duo Mac mini, there's two Mac notebooks in the house, also a G5 iMac and a G5 PowerMac both still in daily use (and one linux box in daily use) so this is not a Mac unfriendly household, and yet you still manage to sound like a rabid fanboy to me.

With all those Macs, YOU sound like the fanboy! :p hehe

I was pulling your leg :)

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #672 on: February 11, 2017, 11:09:33 pm »
Just must be joking. Windows 3.11 already had protected memory so a misbehaving program didn't take the whole system down unlike what would happen on a MAC: total crash.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 11:19:51 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #673 on: February 12, 2017, 12:39:49 am »
Just must be joking. Windows 3.11 already had protected memory so a misbehaving program didn't take the whole system down

:-DD If I had a pound for every time I ended up staring at a blue screen on a machine running 3.11 I would be considerably richer. Heck, I had days it wouldn't finish booting and would blue screen just connecting to LAN Manager shares.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline avrishuvorlaz

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #674 on: February 12, 2017, 12:56:57 am »
Just must be joking. Windows 3.11 already had protected memory so a misbehaving program didn't take the whole system down

:-DD If I had a pound for every time I ended up staring at a blue screen on a machine running 3.11 I would be considerably richer. Heck, I had days it wouldn't finish booting and would blue screen just connecting to LAN Manager shares.

If I had £1 for every time my Mac has crashed on me, I'd have... about £3   :P

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf