Author Topic: Windows The Toy Operating System  (Read 22251 times)

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
Re: Windows The Toy Operating System
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2012, 02:48:19 pm »
Imagine running Windows Updates a few light years away.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2012, 03:16:57 pm »
Found today a copy of Win98SE, still in the wrappper and still with the key. I must have missed it doing the building of computers years ago, I had an assembly line running to push them out. After no 3 i used Ghost and did a quick regedit to put in the key afterwards, much faster and a lot less reboots ( all were identical systems to begin with) than the Ms method of enter key during install.

Offline nitro2k01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2012, 03:44:57 pm »
That check box is checked and it still doesn't auto-complete, its pretty strange but is a common problem around the internets.
And yes I have an EU windows version, its in fact a PT version.
Are you doing run, and then enter "command"? command starts command.com in a DOS VM, i.e. it's basically the old DOS command prompt. What you need to do is run, "cmd", which starts the Windows version of the command prompt. This should allow you to tab complete.

I find Windows tab completion to be lacking and not very well thought out. For example, most/all *NIX shells will give you a space after a file name, and no space after a directory name, under the assumption that you wish to continue the tab completion with a file in that directory. And my pet peeve about Windows tab completion: You're entering a command and you want to add an argument before the last argument. Go back and write something and then press tab. Boom! The tab completion works per se, but wipes the rest of the line.

I can't vow for the crippled european versions ... ( not microsofts fault ! Blame Nelie Kroes with her stupid anti-competition policies that forces microsoft to remove a bunch of things from windows for the EU market... Apple is allowed to supply a browser and a media player, but not microsoft, no that would be bad ... )
They can still distribute it as far as I understand, but they need to show the "browser ballot" to make the user make an active choice. If you're comparing to Microsoft to Apple in this regard, you need to look at the history. What Microsoft is charge for is anticompetitive behavior, starting with the tight integration of IE in Windows 98. The case was about ten years of history of how IE became the market leader. If you remember your history, you know that Apple at about the time shipped with various browsers, and the default one being the now long gone Internet Explorer Mac version (!). Safari is also nowhere near the biggest browser. Even on Mac, it's not close to what IE had at the peak of its popularity. So a similar case against Apple would have little solid ground to stand on.
Whoa! How the hell did Dave know that Bob is my uncle? Amazing!

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2012, 06:19:40 pm »
I am done with fanboyism; you NEVER EVER win people to your point of view, which is a good thing, as they are generally a biased and ignorant one, based in denial and lack of an open mind AND A PRACTICAL PERSPECTIVE.

This of course does not apply to your god-bothering antics?

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2012, 07:46:24 pm »
oh no ... not again ... OS's might as well be religions...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2012, 08:03:38 pm »
Oh, leave it out, will you please? Every OS has it's place. They all have positive and negative sides.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2012, 11:16:19 pm »
do it yourself! i am aethism OS'em. but being nurtured by Windows, so i am agnostics skeptism :P
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline nitro2k01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2012, 12:14:01 am »
do it yourself! i am aethism OS'em. but being nurtured by Windows, so i am agnostics skeptism :P
Being an OS atheist would mean you want all software to talk directly to the hardware. ;)
Whoa! How the hell did Dave know that Bob is my uncle? Amazing!

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2012, 12:38:05 am »
I am done with fanboyism; you NEVER EVER win people to your point of view, which is a good thing, as they are generally a biased and ignorant one, based in denial and lack of an open mind AND A PRACTICAL PERSPECTIVE.

This of course does not apply to your god-bothering antics?

I think God must bother you, as he doesn't "bother" me.

Only via people like you.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2012, 12:49:55 am »
sigh ...
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2012, 05:13:13 am »
It's a tool. Ideally it should not be noticed.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2012, 05:36:00 am »
There you go. That is the only correct answer. The os is there to run apps a, do filesystem housekeeping , manage screen real estate , interface with network and peripherals. For anything else it should bugger off and let me do the work i need to do without interfering. I don't care who makes it or what it is called, as long as i can run the application i need to run i am happy.
If mods to the os prevent my app from running i will yell at the os makers. They made changes that broke something that was working.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf