Author Topic: Wireless charging mouse pad  (Read 2136 times)

Offline IanBTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Wireless charging mouse pad
« on: August 31, 2017, 02:38:46 am »
A recent thread prompted me to think it would be a neat idea to embed a wireless charging pad in a mouse mat, and make it charge the mouse. Then your wireless mouse would never need batteries and would never need charging.

A quick Google shows that such a thing is already on the market, but surprisingly recently. Apparently it took years to bring such a thing to market.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Re: Wireless charging mouse pad
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 04:09:20 am »
I'd imagine it's a market issue. Most people don't want to spend amazing amounts on mice, and those that do normally want it to performance reasons. Where a few milliseconds of response time in an LCD is important to competitive gaming, the small amount of input lag for wireless mice turns people down. It's possibly that only recently companies like Razer have been able to bring the response time for their wireless mice down enough for it to make sense for people who want the best competitive edge.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 04:25:08 am »
The other issue is you'd still have a lead plugging into the mouse mat, why not just get a corded mouse and cut out the middle man?

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 04:50:43 am »
The other issue is you'd still have a lead plugging into the mouse mat, why not just get a corded mouse and cut out the middle man?

The appeal is the chord wouldn't be moving and wouldn't get tangled up by anything.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.

The following users thanked this post: julianhigginson

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 05:46:01 am »
Or get a corded Trackman and never have to move it, charge it or replace batteries.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 06:07:33 am »
Why even bother having a battery?
http://dansdata.com/graphire.htm
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 06:58:21 am »
Or get a corded Trackman and never have to move it, charge it or replace batteries.

There are various reasons for not wanting a trackman. As a man who plays video games, my largest issue is (not sure how else to describe it) that the axis of movement isn't flat.

It's hard to exactly explain what I mean. With a mouse I can immediately move the cursor to where I need it to be without having to vector my way to it. It's sort of like being able to place a dot on a piece of paper without consciously telling your arm exactly what direction to move. With a trackball or a joy/thumbstick, I have to think about the direction of where I need to move my cursor. It's not a problem for regular desktop usage, but when I play a video game I flourish under the added accuracy that a mouse gives.

The other issue is that I would not be able to stop my self continually spinning it over and over again like a confused gorilla looking at a hamster wheel.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 07:31:57 am »

There are various reasons for not wanting a trackman. As a man who plays video games, my largest issue is (not sure how else to describe it) that the axis of movement isn't flat.

It's hard to exactly explain what I mean. With a mouse I can immediately move the cursor to where I need it to be without having to vector my way to it. It's sort of like being able to place a dot on a piece of paper without consciously telling your arm exactly what direction to move. With a trackball or a joy/thumbstick, I have to think about the direction of where I need to move my cursor. It's not a problem for regular desktop usage, but when I play a video game I flourish under the added accuracy that a mouse gives.
Interesting.

I first used a Trackman ~10 yrs ago and was instantly hooked, no blinking mousepad or additional room needed on the bench but yes directivity and precision was something that came a little later........the thumb needs training.  :)
Now, anytime I must use a mouse or touchpad I curse the thing.
Another pet love/hate is being able to assign Alt-Left to the scroll wheel....you can't do that with all mice and it speeds most usage on a PC, browsers and file managers in particular.
I am long past PC games but I get you find a mouse better for that.

The other issue is that I would not be able to stop my self continually spinning it over and over again like a confused gorilla looking at a hamster wheel.
:-DD
Shhh, sometimes I do find myself drawing circles with the pointer....don't tell anyone.  :-X
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 05:33:27 pm »
Why compromise? Why not have an Altra Felix?

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 06:09:58 pm »
Cable bungees work great. Mouse acceleration it's, I think, what 2of5 means?
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf