Author Topic: Wish Julian Assange was super rich, then he could just walk free easily .....  (Read 33767 times)

Online BravoVTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
If you're a criminal that did these serious crimes :
  • Money transfers for terrorist groups  and drug cartels
  • Money laundering $250 billion in transactions over 10 years
  • Manipulating international key lending rates

Simply put, you will be untouchable and "above" the law if you have the money.   :o

Just to vent this out after reading this here  >:( -> http://business.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/15/banks-too-big-to-prosecute/?hpt=hp_c3

Offline itdontgo

• Regular Contributor
    • IoT Manufacturer
Julian Assange is a little snitch.  I hope they do lock him up.  He was the horrible little boy in school who grassed you up to the teacher even when it was nothing to do with him.

I don't see how publicly revealing government secrets is a good thing.  You know people with half an interest in something will take the things he revealed and use it to back up their already pretty rigid views on the subject.

People selectively believe things just to confirm what they think is true.  If they want to believe something nasty about someone/something/somewhere they will find what they want to hear on wikileaks and confirm their biased view with it.  That is all sites like that are used for.  They're not used by people to form an unbiased fair opinion on something.

Maybe you should go on wikileaks and find some articles which show bankers were allowed to manipulate LIBOR etc... Do it this way.  Convince yourself you're a banker and then look for articles which help you do your job better.  You should find them too.

Offline ftransform

• Frequent Contributor
hi alphabet boy

Offline HardBoot

• Regular Contributor
People are incredibly ignorant and passive, if things aren't extremely bad for them they don't care about anyone else or their future.
Eventually things will hit bottom, propaganda will spark another war, things will change with revolution.
After that hell, people will become passive again, the cycle repeats.
The US has been funding terrorists for 70 years, Americans don't care if they're the bad guys because they won't believe it.

Online BravoVTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Julian Assange is a little snitch.  I hope they do lock him up.  He was the horrible little boy in school who grassed you up to the teacher even when it was nothing to do with him.

I don't see how publicly revealing government secrets is a good thing.  You know people with half an interest in something will take the things he revealed and use it to back up their already pretty rigid views on the subject.

People selectively believe things just to confirm what they think is true.  If they want to believe something nasty about someone/something/somewhere they will find what they want to hear on wikileaks and confirm their biased view with it.  That is all sites like that are used for.  They're not used by people to form an unbiased fair opinion on something.

Maybe you should go on wikileaks and find some articles which show bankers were allowed to manipulate LIBOR etc... Do it this way.  Convince yourself you're a banker and then look for articles which help you do your job better.  You should find them too.

Ok, this thread was made is not for debating Julian Assange's matter, is just merely a dramatic/eye catching title, yeah, bad choice I guess, my apology.

Prolly I should change the title to "Wish Osama Bin Laden was super rich, then he could just walk free easily ....."  how about this sound to you ?  ;D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:12:34 am by BravoV »

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor

Ok, this thread was made is not for debating Julian Assange's matter, is just merely a dramatic/eye catching title, yeah, bad choice I guess, my apology.

Prolly I should change the title to "Wish Osama Bin Laden was super rich, then he could just walk free easily ....."  how about this sound to you ?  ;D
As far as I know,they are!
At least Julian Assange isn't short of a quid--Osama is dead,so it wouldn't help him anyway!

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
The US has been funding terrorists for 70 years, Americans don't care if they're the bad guys because they won't believe it.

"And the UN is where our so-called friends get to stab us in the back
And we pay twenty-two percent of their tab to host our enemies here at home"

Offline KTP

• Frequent Contributor
People are incredibly ignorant and passive, if things aren't extremely bad for them they don't care about anyone else or their future.
Eventually things will hit bottom, propaganda will spark another war, things will change with revolution.
After that hell, people will become passive again, the cycle repeats.

Canada is lucky...they don't have to worry about being called a bad guy because they live like hermits under the protection of the USA.  All it takes for evil to win is for good countries to do nothing.

We almost did nothing in WWII while germany exterminated millions of people in a way you can't really even grasp today.  Perhaps that taught us that you have to be proactive...

Offline Sionyn

• Frequent Contributor
wikileaks wasn't his idea he took it for him self the guy has quite a ego

he supposedly has a 'insurance' which he's using for bargaining if he ever got into trouble, something that could effect the west (no idea what it is)

eecs guy

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
Osama Bin Laden was super rich. That did stop the bullets. As for Assange , his claim is that he did not rape those women or force himself on them and that the charges are a ruse to get him to Sweden in order to send him to the USA. Quite frankly that is ridiculous if the US wanted him that Badly why have they not asked the British authorities for him after all there is a fast track extradition treaty between the UK and the US.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Osama Bin Laden was super rich. That did stop the bullets.

It also helps when your family is best friends with two US Presidents, you have them stay at your family palace, your family has invested in their family's business, your brother was having private breakfast with said ex-president on the morning of 9/11, and they like you so much that they let your entire family leave the country on a private jet whilst everyone else in the country is grounded.

As for Assange , his claim is that he did not rape those women or force himself on them and that the charges are a ruse to get him to Sweden in order to send him to the USA.

That is actually a stated fact by the women themselves, it was consensual.
Assange has never been charged with anything, not a thing. He is not wanted on rape charges, just for simple questioning.

Quite frankly that is ridiculous if the US wanted him that Badly why have they not asked the British authorities for him after all there is a fast track extradition treaty between the UK and the US.

Because the UK is higher profile politics, and whilst the extradition treaty exists, it's supposedly much more complicated legally. Sweden will happily sneak you out the back door with a bag over your head onto a CIA private jet for tying your shoe laces incorrectly.

Dave.

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
We almost did nothing in WWII while germany exterminated millions of people in a way you can't really even grasp today.  Perhaps that taught us that you have to be proactive...

We didn't learn anything because we already know the pros and cons of being proactive... the main pro is that many others will live much better lives because of it, and the con is that we, ourselves, will live slightly worse lives because of it... so we choose NOT to be proactive; who gives a crap about someone else's life.

Offline KTP

• Frequent Contributor

We didn't learn anything because we already know the pros and cons of being proactive... the main pro is that many others will live much better lives because of it, and the con is that we, ourselves, will live slightly worse lives because of it... so we choose NOT to be proactive; who gives a crap about someone else's life.

I wish the USA were not proactive.  It would be great if we shut down the military and just played isolationist for awhile.  I would grab some popcorn and enjoy the show.  It would be like a big game of Risk.  I would be especially interested in how fast China would grab Taiwan and also what North Korea might do.  USA is Rome and it is about 400AD right now.  Good times are coming!

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
I hope one day there will be a working alternative for VISA.
They blocked the payments to Wikileaks.
I am forced to still use VISA.

If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
Assange has never been charged with anything, not a thing. He is not wanted on rape charges, just for simple questioning.
That is allegedly normal Swedish procedure: He will be charged after having been brought in for questioning unless of course he manages to talk himself out of it.

http://www.aklagare.se/In-English/About-us/International-prosecution-operations/Facts-about-extradition-of-a-person-who-has-been-surrendered/
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 01:19:58 pm by Tepe »

Offline KTP

• Frequent Contributor
Canada is lucky...they don't have to worry about being called a bad guy because they live like hermits under the protection of the USA.  All it takes for evil to win is for good countries to do nothing.

You don’t know history. Canada declared war days after the UK and France declared war. They were also one of the first countries to join in the fight against the Kaiser in WW1 fighting initially under the crown then after numerous fiascos under Canadian leaderships. The US entered WW1 after the tied had turned and near the end of the conflict. The US entered WW2 only after Pearl harbour they were highly isolationist during the outbreak of WW2. Canadians also fought in Korea my grandfather being one of them after he survived WW2 he still re-upped to fight in Korea.

I meant after WWII.  USA was late getting into WWII...we were back then more like the world would like us now...staying mostly out of other people's business.

In terms of deaths related to population, USA and Canada both lost about the same %...just under 0.5%.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
We almost did nothing in WWII while germany exterminated millions of people in a way you can't really even grasp today. 

For those interesting WWII and computers, I can recommend IBM and the Holocaust.
http://www.ibmandtheholocaust.com/
It's a heavy massively researched read, but worth it.
Yes, it's non-fiction, IBM helped the Germans count and sort the jews. Thomas Watson got a German medal for it.

Dave.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Good times are coming!

Not when the US financial system finally collapses, making the GFC and bank bailout look like chump change. It could get a tad messy!
But don't worry, you'll all be safe front riots with the DHS having 1B+ rounds of ammo in stock, and all those domestic surveillance drones and checkpoints!  ;D

Dave.

Offline KTP

• Frequent Contributor
Good times are coming!

Not when the US financial system finally collapses, making the GFC and bank bailout look like chump change. It could get a tad messy!
But don't worry, you'll all be safe front riots with the DHS having 1B+ rounds of ammo in stock, and all those domestic surveillance drones and checkpoints!  ;D

Dave.

I was being sarcastic when I said good times were coming for the USA.

But anyway, We will be in Alaska by then...be hard to find me with a population in the back country of 1 person per 10 square miles or something.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
That is allegedly normal Swedish procedure: He will be charged after having been brought in for questioning unless of course he manages to talk himself out of it.

They had ample opportunity to interview him in the UK directly, or via phone, of which their law provides the facility for this and there is an EU agreement for it.
http://www.sweden.gov.se/sb/d/2748
They have refused this every time. Why? Clearly because:
a) They know they won't be able to press charges, or if they do they won't stick.
and
b) Assange is a global political pawn, with pressure from VERY high places.

It's a total crock.

Dave.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
But anyway, We will be in Alaska by then...be hard to find me with a population in the back country of 1 person per 10 square miles or something.

0.5/sqm it seems.
Come to Australia. 6 times more density, but still only a paltry 3 people per sqm, the weather is better, and we don't have Sarah Pallin  :D

Dave.

Offline KTP

• Frequent Contributor

0.5/sqm it seems.
Come to Australia. 6 times more density, but still only a paltry 3 people per sqm, the weather is better, and we don't have Sarah Pallin  :D

Dave.

I would *love* to move to Australia, but don't you guys have a very strict immigration policy? (or maybe I am thinking of New Zealand's policy).

Offline KTP

• Frequent Contributor
We really have no need for aggressive foreign policy like the US we have an abundance of oil and natural resources. The only time we wind up drawing attention to ourselves from crazy islamist is when we ally ourselves with the US.

This is my point.  Canada has no need for aggressive foreign policy because they have an abundance of oil and natural resources.  Live and let die.

Maybe if the USA adopted the same policy, the world would be a much better place.  It would be an interesting experiment.  Would every country then just happily get along with its neighbor?  Who knows.  It is possible that without the "world police" (a thankless job most americans would be glad to quit) we could have a situation like Somalia on a much larger scale.  Or everyone may just get along.

Offline KTP

• Frequent Contributor
We really have no need for aggressive foreign policy like the US we have an abundance of oil and natural resources. The only time we wind up drawing attention to ourselves from crazy islamist is when we ally ourselves with the US.

This is my point.  Canada has no need for aggressive foreign policy because they have an abundance of oil and natural resources.  Live and let die.

Maybe if the USA adopted the same policy, the world would be a much better place.  It would be an interesting experiment.  Would every country then just happily get along with its neighbor?  Who knows.  It is possible that without the "world police" (a thankless job most americans would be glad to quit) we could have a situation like Somalia on a much larger scale.  Or everyone may just get along.

My point was you police when it is in the US’s interest to police, so spare me the noble cop BS. There are all sorts of genocidel conflicts around the globe but they aren’t in the US interest to get involved so they don’t.

That’s not to say the US is any different then any other Country. All countries act in there own self intrest.It just annoys me when some yank spouts crap like you are.

I don't think there was a lot of crap spouting.  The USA spends way too much on foreign policy, including wars and I do not think we really get any positive recognition for it.  I am suggesting the USA cut back on foreign policy spending.

edit: USA spends 4.7% of GDP on military, Canada spends 1.4% of GDP, UK 2.6%, Australia 1.8%

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 02:49:23 pm by KTP »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
I would *love* to move to Australia, but don't you guys have a very strict immigration policy? (or maybe I am thinking of New Zealand's policy).

Australia is basically a country of immigrants!
We have a very large skilled immigration policy.
Well over a million in the last decade, and over 150K/year total currently.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Australia
Harder to get in if you aren't skilled.

Dave.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf