Author Topic: Wish Julian Assange was super rich, then he could just walk free easily .....  (Read 33795 times)

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
I don't think there was a lot of crap spouting.  The USA spends way too much on foreign policy, including wars and I do not think we really get any positive recognition for it.  I am suggesting the USA cut back on foreign policy spending.
edit: USA spends 4.7% of GDP on military, Canada spends 1.4% of GDP, UK 2.6%, Australia 1.8%

The US military is deployed in over 150 countries around the world. More I believe than every other country combined.
And again, spends almost as much as the entire world combined as well.

And that very likely doesn't include all the money that just conveniently gets "lost". Like the 2.3 trillion dollars the Pentagon couldn't account for.
Note the date: September 10th 2001:

Dave.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 03:51:27 pm by EEVblog »

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
But I do agree we should spend more on our military not for the reasons you think though, mainly to protect our interest off our shores and in the arctic.

We can do the same. How about a nice little arms race around Hans Ø for starters and then later progressively closer to 90 degrees north when global heating makes it more feasible? That would be something.

Jokes aside, I share your view on the hypocrisy in phrasing real-politik and national interest as doing the world a favor. There is often an overlap for some of us, but that is just incidental.

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
I would *love* to move to Australia, but don't you guys have a very strict immigration policy? (or maybe I am thinking of New Zealand's policy).
Do yourself a favour: Don't come by boat, or you will be sent straight to an off-shore concentration camp; to some island with questionable human rights policies.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
South Africa is open to all, and if you are a farmer and want land and a 99 year lease go to Moz, Zambia.

Offline KTP

• Frequent Contributor
South Africa is open to all, and if you are a farmer and want land and a 99 year lease go to Moz, Zambia.

Nah, I will stick with Alaska.  They actually pay you to live there (but not much really).  I like the cooler weather....I grew up in the deep south but I can't handle 105 degree days anymore.

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor

Offline RCMR

• Frequent Contributor
Yes, there could be some very nasty precedents set in the Assange case.

If the UK sends  in its police to "extract" Assange from the Ecuadorian Embassy then they have broken one of the cornerstones of the international diplomatic system.

In effect, this becomes an armed invasion of Ecuador - a declaration of war.

Now while I doubt that Ecuador has any credible military force of its own, and certainly none capable of travelling all the way to the UK to defend their "territory" -- the UK (like the USA and because of their lap-dog status with the USA) already has enough enemies.

The last thing the UK wants to do is give terrorists *another* reason to target that nation and its people.

Of course that would play right into the USA's hands and they'd be bound to say "see, we told you the war against terror is far from over and it's obvious that Assange was in bed with these terrorists who have now attacked the UK".

It's a complete and utter farce and the USA is really getting far too big for its boots and for the safety of the world.

Sooner or later (I'm picking a lot sooner than someone thinks), the USA is going to get a real slapping.  There are a growing number of nations developing nuclear capabilities (and some, like China who already have it).

If they piss the wrong people off for long enough, they *will* find themselves facing an attack that makes 9/11 look like a children's tea-party.

When you're trying to tame an angry dog you do not:

1. keep poking it with a sharp stick
2. back it into a corner

Unfortunately the USA seem to be as thick as two short planks in this regard -- but I have an awful feeling that they will soon learn the error of their ways.

I just feel sorry for the innocent souls who will pay the price for the politicians stupidity.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
If the UK sends  in its police to "extract" Assange from the Ecuadorian Embassy then they have broken one of the cornerstones of the international diplomatic system.

Even they are not stupid enough to do that.
There is a clause in the law that allows them to strip the embassy of it's diplomatic status for "National Security" reasons (which can of course mean anything).
They will do that first and then move in.
It will be unprecedented and will be the biggest diplomatic incident for many decades.

Rumor has it that Assange has escaped in disguise as a pizza delivery dude. Switched clothes, donned the helmet and rode off on the bike!
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be true!
I'd love to see the UK government humiliated if he has escaped.

Dave.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 03:20:31 am by EEVblog »

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
^ That would be ace.

I was actually thinking, he was in there for like 2 months... plenty of time to sneak out. Would be really funny to find out that he left the country 6 weeks ago.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
I was actually thinking, he was in there for like 2 months... plenty of time to sneak out. Would be really funny to find out that he left the country 6 weeks ago.

That would have been the smartest move. Any good magician could advise on the misdirection required.
Would probably be fairly trivial.
I would love it if at the press conference 1pm UK time today, that Assange appeared beside the Ecuadorian president on stage in the main capitol. That would be event of biblicly humorous proportions!

Dave.

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
<running to get the pop-corn> ... rooting for the home team !!
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Uncle Vernon

The worst thing about the whole episode is that it has, yet again, provided another excuse for Bob Carr to exude his incessant nothingness! #Dribbler

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.

Quite frankly that is ridiculous if the US wanted him that Badly why have they not asked the British authorities for him after all there is a fast track extradition treaty between the UK and the US.

Because the UK is higher profile politics, and whilst the extradition treaty exists, it's supposedly much more complicated legally. Sweden will happily sneak you out the back door with a bag over your head onto a CIA private jet for tying your shoe laces incorrectly.

Dave.
[/quote]

Yes there is a lot of legal loop holes to extradite some one to the USA but there are even more to get some one extradited to Sweden which is why it is dragging on so long, so I still say that if the USA wanted him that Badly they would issue extradition requests to what ever country he landed in, they Could also have quietly asked the UK to send him back to Australia as a non desirable, the UK has also in the past bundled people into CIA planes, I have seen CIA planes land in the UK I used to live 150 meters from the boundary of a forward NATO air base here in Norfolk UK I could see all the coming and goings and saw unmarked Lear jets landing and taking off. I was so close I could hear the reverse thrust motors whine when the planes landed, not the turbine noise but the air motor that worked the reverse thrust flaps, very often I would hear the airmen talking to each other.     

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor

In effect, this becomes an armed invasion of Ecuador - a declaration of war.

Now while I doubt that Ecuador has any credible military force of its own, and certainly none capable of travelling all the way to the UK to defend their "territory" -- the UK (like the USA and because of their lap-dog status with the USA) already has enough enemies.

The last thing the UK wants to do is give terrorists *another* reason to target that nation and its people.

Of course that would play right into the USA's hands and they'd be bound to say "see, we told you the war against terror is far from over and it's obvious that Assange was in bed with these terrorists who have now attacked the UK".

It's a complete and utter farce and the USA is really getting far too big for its boots and for the safety of the world.

Sooner or later (I'm picking a lot sooner than someone thinks), the USA is going to get a real slapping.  There are a growing number of nations developing nuclear capabilities (and some, like China who already have it).

If they piss the wrong people off for long enough, they *will* find themselves facing an attack that makes 9/11 look like a children's tea-party.

When you're trying to tame an angry dog you do not:

1. keep poking it with a sharp stick
2. back it into a corner *

Unfortunately the USA seem to be as thick as two short planks in this regard -- but I have an awful feeling that they will soon learn the error of their ways.

I just feel sorry for the innocent souls who will pay the price for the politicians stupidity.

If you're a grizzly bear,you don't give a stuff about angry dogs!

The fact is,the USA is the only remaining superpower.

Back in the day,both the USA & the USSR threw their weight round in a most unseemly manner.
As well as that,both of them sponsored despotic regimes who "were on their side".
Dear old Saddam Hussein was a "bastion of democracy" for a while.
Col Ghadaffi's Libya was a friendly nation to the USSR.

Indeed,the Yanks may not have "learnt their lesson",but they are so powerful that even economic collapse will not change that!

Mao Tse Tung said "Power grows out of the barrel of a gun!",& he was pretty right!

Look for instance at the old USSR.They were probably nearly bankrupt for years before the collapse,but people still did business with them,in the assumption that their military might was backed up by a strong economy.

Uncle Vernon

The fact is,the USA is the only remaining superpower.
Heard of China? Checked out the size capabilities of their military any time in the last decade? Want to run those human rights comparisons again?

Personally I think we should offer Bob Carr for Assange in a hostage exchange deal at the earliest possible time. Given his skills at pissing off Americans, Assange could immediately continue the current operations of the foreign ministry.

Offline BravoVTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Who the hell is Bob Carr ?  ???

Uncle Vernon

Exactly! Carr is a practising unelected economic and cultural vandal employed by Julia to do Kevin's Job after Julia took Kevin's other job. Carr would be a popular offering from Australia for any impending Idiot Exchange Program.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 07:55:47 am by Uncle Vernon »

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter

An Australian politician.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Exactly! Carr is a practising unelected economic and cultural vandal employed by Julia to do Kevin's Job after Julia took Kevin's other job. Carr would be a popular offering from Australia for any impending Idiot Exchange Program.

One of course who would always take a back seat to the master, Tony Abbot.

Dave.

Uncle Vernon

to the master, Tony Abbot.
That's Australia's 28th Prime Minister you're talking about there! :) Even most of the lefties will be voting for him.  ;) :D :D

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
UK 'would refuse Assange safe passage out of London'.

http://news.yahoo.com/ecuador-decide-assange-asylum-thursday-minister-213502579.html

Long live the Queen!  NOT!

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
That's Australia's 28th Prime Minister you're talking about there! :) Even most of the lefties will be voting for him.  ;) :D :D

Unfortunately you may be right  >:(
It'll be own George Bush era. Embarrassingly stupid, but at least without the war warmongering.
Well, maybe a war on atheism and gays...

Dave.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Well, he's been granted asylum as everyone predicted.
The Ecuadorian's are possibly the only country left in the world with the balls to stand up to the US.
Their press conference was interesting, what I caught of it in English. They really stuck it to everyone.

And this pretty much sums it all up:
http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2012/08/americas-vassal-acts-decisively-and-illegally/

Dave.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor

One of course who would always take a back seat to the master, Tony Abbot.

Dave.

But then again,Tony has the biggest ears since Billy McMahon,so he already has fulfilled the number one criterion for Australian PMs-----That they be funny--looking! ;D
Of course there were a few that didn't make it,who fitted that criterion,such as "Black Jack McKewen",& Tom Uren! ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf