Author Topic: Wish to take Electronics engineers from China  (Read 9757 times)

Offline ocsetTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Wish to take Electronics engineers from China
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2019, 11:32:40 am »
Not so simple. Also we have had our share of industrial espionage. So established companies are carefull who to hire.
Thanks, luckily for us thats not a problem....our products are bog standard lighting power supplies....the stuff that China already knows inside out and can churn out for next-to-nothing.
We wouldnt care if our schematics went all over the web....its  ensuring all the trivial little bits are right, so as to reduce failure rate...the general design work is easy.

Its getting a good customer base thats the key in UK lighting.

I reckon there must be 10's of thousands of  Chinese "Low power lighting type power supply" design engineers in China who are out of work, and would  love to come over to UK and get payed some decent  dosh?

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2019, 04:35:05 pm »
 ;D
I get the impression your manager had too much too drink for this plan to come up in whats left of his mind.
Besides the chinese engineers probably design with chinese yellebean components, no-one here knows them or how long they will last.
I bet that if the low priced chinese led manufacturers had to obey the same harsh european guarantee , QC, CE, EMC and other consumer return of goods policies they would not dare to ship a single unit.
And those that would be able to comply would be just as expensive as the european manufacturers, or heavily government subsidized or running out of business soon.

The following users thanked this post: ocset

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2019, 05:09:10 pm »
According to what you wrote in other treads, the only employees your company can afford are uneducated monkeys who will work for banana.

Thats quite a neat deal if unemployment and starvation under TWO dictate are the option!

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2019, 05:27:22 pm »
Here's an idea. You need to go to Shanghai, find some engineers, invite them for a drink, get them rather drunk, and give them a shilling. In the morning, when they awake with a hangover you'll have them on a cargo ship to the UK. We'll call this practice "Londoning".

The following users thanked this post: Wolfram, Electro Detective, ocset

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2019, 05:47:16 pm »
I am shocked with what I read. First I thought this was ironic/funny, but now I understand that this is what is really in the mind of treez and his company.

So the idea is:

1) Cheat on the customers: charge them for UK designed and manufactured products, when they are really designed and manufactured as cheap as possible in China.
2) Create a pretend show room to simulate that products are really designed in UK, when they are not.
3) Cheat on business partners: get them to send their engineers and then hire those engineers.
4) The best of it all is to write about this on a public forum, asking how hard it would be to get those chinese engineers...

Nobody needs a complany like this.

:--

Kind regards,
Vitor

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2019, 05:58:00 pm »
We wish to start employing Chinese Electronics Engineers at our UK based lighting company. They will design with cheap Chinese components, and  the  products will get produced in China. We will declare that the products are “British designed and built”. No one will know otherwise. We will sweep the market, putting all other UK lighting companys out of  the way.
What can I say, that business model works fine for Apple >:D
That’s not Apple’s business model. Apple uses expensive components and does almost all of the engineering in-house in USA. Apple has outsourced the factories, nothing more.

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2019, 06:07:52 pm »
What you'll end up getting is a bunch of career criminals who sit on their asses doing nothing all day and blackmail you for more money to send to their bosses at home.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2019, 06:13:34 pm »
One day I really hope to see this:

Treez is an idiot.

The following users thanked this post: treez

The following users thanked this post: Mr.B, blueskull, tooki, ocset

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2019, 04:35:34 am »

Treez is an idiot.

I am fairly certain that I have called treez an idiot in a reply before (in some other thread of his) and that he thanked that post, too...

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2019, 07:36:17 am »
Very few people from China can barely read English, Will be a huge communication problem, And the few ones that can do that does not accept China's low salary

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2019, 07:51:22 am »
Very few people from China can barely read English, Will be a huge communication problem, And the few ones that can do that does not accept China's low salary
Speaking English well in China gets you a job in a multinational, and the pay can be pretty good.

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2019, 07:57:54 am »
This was probably meant to be posted on April 1st.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, ocset

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2019, 07:59:11 am »
I am shocked with what I read. First I thought this was ironic/funny, but now I understand that this is what is really in the mind of treez and his company.

So the idea is:

1) Cheat on the customers: charge them for UK designed and manufactured products, when they are really designed and manufactured as cheap as possible in China.
2) Create a pretend show room to simulate that products are really designed in UK, when they are not.
3) Cheat on business partners: get them to send their engineers and then hire those engineers.
4) The best of it all is to write about this on a public forum, asking how hard it would be to get those chinese engineers...

Nobody needs a complany like this.

:--

Kind regards,
Vitor
These unfortunately seem fairly common business practices.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2019, 08:15:51 am »
That’s not Apple’s business model. Apple uses expensive components and does almost all of the engineering in-house in USA. Apple has outsourced the factories, nothing more.
You have never been to Silicon Valley, have you? They hire thousands of immigrants from countries like India and China.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2019, 08:27:36 am »
You have never been to Silicon Valley, have you? They hire thousands of immigrants from countries like India and China.
I didn’t say they don’t hire foreign engineers. But Apple doesn’t outsource the engineering (outsourcing means having another company do it for you), and they don’t use cheap components, which are key parts of the business model you enumerated.

And yes, I’ve been to Silicon Valley (including inside the original Apple HQ, and not just with a guest pass). Have you? ;)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 08:31:33 am by tooki »

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2019, 09:09:22 am »
Well, I have interned at a company you have likely heard about if you have been at Apple.

What I referred to was the paragraph I quoted and thread title, which suggested employment of engineers from China in UK to design products cheaply produced in China. I admittedly haven't read OP's business plan in detail nor the follow-ups :P, he posts all sorts of crazy stuff and AFAIK nothing ever comes of it.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2019, 09:48:29 am »

Treez is an idiot.

Easily solved. Anyone who thanks this very post is an idiot.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 11:29:40 am by Mr. Scram »

The following users thanked this post: chriswebb, ocset, magic

Offline SparkyFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2019, 09:53:42 am »
Sometimes the big advantage of producing locally is when you have a problem with parts or processes, you get it solved quicker, replacement parts can be there faster and you lose less time and money - and that is even before product and service life cycle. They all speak the same language (not so much of a problem recently, as more and more people learn english as a second language).

Even if your problem solving skills only consist of assertions of guilt, you at least have the disproof faster, as a manufacturer usually has the test equipment to show if his part is according to spec. Trying to sort this out via mail or a 12h time difference is just hopeless.

And it probably does not work to just take one factor and place it somewhere else.
Support your local planet.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2019, 10:19:25 am »

treez idea is like 20 years too late   :horse:

the local competition may be operating this way already   :P

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2019, 10:42:28 am »
This was probably meant to be posted on April 1st.

Oldtimers remember "the year September never ended", sometimes known as "eternal September".

Sometimes it feels like we now have "the year April 1st never ended" :(
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2019, 10:56:18 am »

Treez is an idiot.

I am fairly certain that I have called treez an idiot in a reply before (in some other thread of his) and that he thanked that post, too...
The strategy of liking all responses seems to work for him as his threads are very popular. I think some people only respond to his threads, just to see their number of thanked posts increase. :-DD

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2019, 11:04:50 am »

Treez is an idiot.

Ditto. Well, I doubt I actually called him an idiot since in this forum that would be ... ungentlemanly.

Nonetheless, if someone read some of my responses to him and asked me if I thought he was an idiot, I would probably reply "You might think that; I could not possibly comment".

There are three, I think, forum members that when I see they have started a topic, I have a strong suspicion that the topic will be useful only for amusement when I'm very bored. No, I'm not going to name them.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 11:08:12 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2019, 09:09:52 pm »

Treez is an idiot.

Well you got your wish.  :)
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2019, 04:41:47 am »
Hi,

[Humour]

I have friends who are idiots, they were offended by this comment   >:D

[Humour/]

More seriously, there are country of origin rules that are laid down in trade descriptions regulations.

They generally require that a percentage of the 'value' is added to the product in the country of origin.

For example you take a PCB from country, a chassis from another country and do  final assembly in your country and you might be able to claim made in your country.
By 'value' you say that is where the profit is made.

You see labels, 'made in X assembled from foreign components', which is perfectly truthful.

j - your imaginary friend

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2019, 07:17:33 am »
They generally require that a percentage of the 'value' is added to the product in the country of origin.
Then it is easy since all the biggest international "scam" firms do this trick already by claiming their (*) daughter firm owns the patents and that is where 75% of the profit comes from they pay their taxes in (*) which very conveniently is 0%

(*) fill in any tax evasion country of this planet

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf