Author Topic: Woman Gets €800/month For EMF 'Disability'  (Read 24614 times)

Offline SionynTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Woman Gets €800/month For EMF 'Disability'
« on: August 29, 2015, 06:51:00 pm »
have you ever heard of such nonsense
A court based in Toulouse has awarded a disability claim of €800 per month for three years over a 39-year-old woman's "hypersensitivity to electromagnetic waves.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34075146

but wait theres more idiocy
student at the Fay School in Massachusetts say that the Wi-Fi at the institution is making their child sick
http://www.networkworld.com/article/2975945/mobile-wireless/massachusetts-boarding-school-fay-southborough-sued-over-wi-fi-sickness.html
eecs guy

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
Re: Woman Gets €800/month For EMF 'Disability'
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 07:08:28 pm »
have you ever heard of such nonsense
A court based in Toulouse has awarded a disability claim of €800 per month for three years over a 39-year-old woman's "hypersensitivity to electromagnetic waves.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34075146

but wait theres more idiocy
student at the Fay School in Massachusetts say that the Wi-Fi at the institution is making their child sick
http://www.networkworld.com/article/2975945/mobile-wireless/massachusetts-boarding-school-fay-southborough-sued-over-wi-fi-sickness.html

Just a not uncommon human propensity to try and get something for nothing. Many times it's the greed of a lawyer working on contingency basis.

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 07:10:19 pm »
I believe people suffering from "hypersensitivity to electromagnetic waves" have real problems, the cause of the problem is just misattributed to EMF. It's sad that pseudo-science is so common in this day and age. It's easy to get the feeling things are going downhill as well but it might be we are just better at spotting it? I mean who would have heard about some court-case in Toulouse 30 years ago? (Unless you live in France of course).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 09:52:09 pm by apis »

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 07:13:47 pm »
Just a not uncommon human propensity to try and get something for nothing. Many times it's the greed of a lawyer working on contingency basis.
I don't know what the rules are in Toulouse but most countries doesn't allow contingent fees as far as I know.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 07:15:19 pm by apis »

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 07:50:51 pm »
I don't know what the rules are in Toulouse but most countries doesn't allow contingent fees as far as I know.

That's to their credit if/where true. Here in the U.S. the lawyers are a very well funded and represented special interest group. Ambulance-chasers is one coined phrase they go by here.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 08:06:41 pm »
If they are paying anyway for mental disabilities, why not this'd one?

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 08:27:24 pm »
If they are paying anyway for mental disabilities, why not this'd one?
I was about to say - it's more likely that the woman is suffering schizophrenia and is getting her disability benefits for that reason but is under the delusion its her EMF condition that is being paid for. Then again the source is the BBC not the Daily Mail, so maybe it's true?

Offline SionynTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 08:41:55 pm »
i agree most likely a mental disorder, it dose beg the question why isnt she effected by natural light or any other more powerful sources of EM radiation surely that is the final nail coffin for these so called disorders ?

maybe its a education thing, much like the bullcrap about mobile phones people just dont understand the difference between ionizing radiation and non ionizing.

eecs guy

Offline Chris C

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 09:07:19 pm »
I was about to say - it's more likely that the woman is suffering schizophrenia and is getting her disability benefits for that reason but is under the delusion its her EMF condition that is being paid for. Then again the source is the BBC not the Daily Mail, so maybe it's true?

Bingo.

My mother suffers from EMF sensitivity.  The last time I had any contact with her, it's because I had to handle some of her affairs while she was involuntarily committed for two weeks.  A result of calling the police repeatedly for two hours straight, in an attempt to get them to deal with her landlord; who she believed was sneaking into her apartment while she slept, and peeing on the kitchen floor.  I actually did find pee on the kitchen floor, but it was easily identifiable by smell as being from her male cat.  At the same time, she was also suing the university she was attending, because it was infested with spiders too small to see, that were biting her and causing a skin rash.  Her other ailments, including EMF sensitivity, were a result of being cursed by witches from a church she used to attend that was actually a coven.  I could go on, but you get the idea.

Perhaps there is such a thing as EMF sensitivity, perhaps not.  In families where genetics causes males to see only two primary colors (color blindness), females sometimes have the ability to see four (tetrachromatism, which adds true yellow receptors to the cornea).  There are people with skin so stretchy they can pull their neck skin up over their face.  There's a girl in Russia who is abnormally strong for her build, and has somewhat translucent skin.  The true extent to which genetics makes us different isn't really known.

But the thing about EMF sensitivity is, I haven't encountered one person claiming to have it, that has any semblance of sanity.

And this Marine Richard is no exception.  A document she wrote:

http://www.next-up.org/pdf/Marine_Richard_Sous_l_ondee_2012.pdf

There's a whole calliope of crazy there.  Including many easily disputable things.  Just to pick out one, she claims to be able to reliably feel when a cell phone is about to ring, 10-15 seconds before it happens.  Anyone who has left a cell phone next to an amplified speaker knows that there is indeed a burst of RF transmissions before it rings, but no more than 1-3 seconds before.

I have no problem with Marine being on disability for schizophrenia, or even unspecified ailments.  But I sincerely hope the courts aren't opening the doors to allowing the crazies to make their own diagnoses.

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 09:48:24 pm »
Not sure if this is urban myth or not, but isn't there some story of folks receiving AM radio through their tooth fillings, something to do with the fillings operating in the non-linear region as a detector?

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 09:52:49 pm »
Not sure if this is urban myth or not, but isn't there some story of folks receiving AM radio through their tooth fillings, something to do with the fillings operating in the non-linear region as a detector?

I too read something about that many years ago and have no idea if fact or myth. Also heard about solders during WW1 in the trenches using soap bars and razor blade to receive radio broadcasts. Again might be something to it or not.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 10:05:45 pm »
I too read something about that many years ago and have no idea if fact or myth. Also heard about solders during WW1 in the trenches using soap bars and razor blade to receive radio broadcasts. Again might be something to it or not.
Sounds more than feasible. The blades could be intertwined much like a variable capacitor, with coiled wire for the tuned circuit, AM rectifier diode could be a cats whisker, and the high impedance headphones they used for field telephones (which I think used ground current signalling and wires connected between trenches via rifle bayonets) for listening on.

I made that kind of stuff as a kid and it worked great. Much better with the OC70,72 TRF amplier PNPs, Ever Ready batteriy and loudspeaker. But I preferred the "free" crystal set really. The bloody antenna was as big as my back garden though.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 10:24:21 pm »
The bluing on razor blades (of the time) makes a rectifying junction, when used carefully.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 10:25:53 pm »
Sounds more than feasible. The blades could be intertwined much like a variable capacitor, with coiled wire for the tuned circuit, AM rectifier diode could be a cats whisker, and the high impedance headphones they used for field telephones (which I think used ground current signalling and wires connected between trenches via rifle bayonets) for listening on.

I made that kind of stuff as a kid and it worked great. Much better with the OC70,72 TRF amplier PNPs, Ever Ready batteriy and loudspeaker. But I preferred the "free" crystal set really. The bloody antenna was as big as my back garden though.

I used a Philco 'cat's whisker' crystal detector wired to a cap and a crystal ear piece all wired to an outside 40 ft antenna around 1958 or so. Worked great, however the problem was I  lived a about 2 miles from KCBS 50KW AM station and could never receive any other signal except that. Found I could just wire a 1N34A diode across the crystal ear piece with the same result, no antenna required. Problem was it was a all news station and not too interesting to a 11 year old. Do recall a news broadcast reporting the the newly formed NASA had just selected the first 7 newly named 'astronauts', that was pretty exciting to me at the time.

http://www.peeblesoriginals.com/catalog/images/po-301-left.jpg
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 11:22:01 pm by retrolefty »

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2015, 11:35:56 pm »
Well, there's also this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25644455 (and many other studies) that have not been able to see any correlation... You can't just cherry pick the one odd study that happen to agree with your belief.

Do you have a reference for the WHO claim, it should be on their website somewhere I belive?

I don't say this is pseudo-science because I believe it improbable but because I have heard results from several studies before and people claiming to suffer from EMF sensitivity show no symptoms when tested in double-blind trials. That doesn't mean they are not suffering from sensitivity to something else or some other aliment but it does not appear to be caused by EMF.

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 11:40:54 pm »
Well, there's also this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25644455 (and many other studies) that have not been able to see any correlation... You can't just cherry pick the one odd study that happen to agree with your belief.

Do you have a reference for the WHO claim, it should be on their website somewhere I belive?

I don't say this is pseudo-science because I believe it improbable but because I have heard results from several studies before and people claiming to suffer from EMF sensitivity show no symptoms when tested in double-blind trials. That doesn't mean they are not suffering from sensitivity to something else or some other aliment but it does not appear to be caused by EMF.

Not just double blind tests required but also test for Placebo effect as there are always some people who will show symptoms or cures just because of the suggestion that it works, even when not exposed to the test variable. Human brain is much more complex then we can presently understand.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 11:43:11 pm »
Why not?
The mass media, and drug companies do it all the time.

It pays to see who does underwrite those studies; Motorola has underwritten a number of studies that say cell phones and whatnot are safe; do I believe them?
About as much as I believe Monsanto says Round UP herbicide is safe.

I will say this;
Much of what we "Think" is scientifically conducted studies is little more than propaganda.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2015, 11:48:53 pm »
Not just double blind tests required but also test for Placebo effect as there are always some people who will show symptoms or cures just because of the suggestion that it works, even when not exposed to the test variable. Human brain is much more complex then we can presently understand.
Yes, the normal procedure is to have a control group that goes through the exact same trials in order to adjust for placebo. And as a rule of thumb, a single study is not enough because a single team might fake data or simply fail in some other way; the results must be reproducible by others so you need at least two independent high quality trials.

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 12:01:40 am »
let's assume it's real.

wouldn't that force you to live in the sticks (middle of nowhere) away from most civilization?
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 12:04:02 am »
let's assume it's real.

wouldn't that force you to live in the sticks (middle of nowhere) away from most civilization?
Maybe not you might have to not have your bed on the other side of the wall from one of those new "Smalr Meters".
You might not be able to own a cell phone or a cordless phone.
Your life would be fairly normal by 1960s standards.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2015, 12:04:07 am »
let's assume it's real.

Would depend on the frequency the person was sensitive to. VLF, LF, HF goes everywhere in the world and even penetrate the oceans.

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2015, 12:06:01 am »

I will say this;
Much of what we "Think" is scientifically conducted studies is little more than propaganda.
Yes, very true!

I have heard that much of the pro LCHF studies that were published were paid for by the meat and dairy industry. ::)

It's not always easy to figure out who is paying for the research though. Some scientist might be funded by cellphone manufacturers and they shouldn't be trusted of course. But serious scientists working at the bigger universities can generally tell the difference, media might pick the bad ones though (wonder why). That is yet another reason why it's so important to look at many independent studies.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2015, 12:15:06 am »

I will say this;
Yes, very true!

I have heard that much of the pro LCHF studies that were published were paid for by the meat and dairy industry. ::)

It's not always easy to figure out who is paying for the research though. Some scientist might be funded by cellphone manufacturers and they shouldn't be trusted of course. But serious scientists working at the bigger universities can generally tell the difference, media might pick the bad ones though (wonder why). That is yet another reason why it's so important to look at many independent studies.

I agree with you; there is a chance the larger colleges and universities may be able to conduct good studies....
Here it comes...
More often than not they are funded by grants from large companies...

The potential for having a prof. begin a study on the health effects of cellphones and the college getting a Mega-Buck grant from Samsung to fund other activities would end that study on the health effects of cellphones.

Mass media is this way, here in the US we see commercials from Big Pharma every third commerical, and every ten is from some war material manufacturer (GE GD etc...). These people take editorial control of the media outlet's content.
The latter is why war coverage in this country is done from a very detached point of view, not like the old days of Viet Nam, Korea and WW-2. The reason I bring this up is the same system is also in place at the college level.

We use to have a congressman who is noted for this quote..
"Money talks and Bullshit walks."

Wish I had not taken that damned red pill...
Sue AF6LJ

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2015, 12:40:59 am »
More often than not they are funded by grants from large companies...

The potential for having a prof. begin a study on the health effects of cellphones and the college getting a Mega-Buck grant from Samsung to fund other activities would end that study on the health effects of cellphones.
There might be some truth to that, but they would have to bribe a whole lot of people in many different countries. Of course, if the company is big enough that might be possible.

I've heard rumours that antidepressants have not been proven to be significantly better than placebo but was given approval anyway for different reasons... Certainly very profitable medicines for the pharmaceutical industries, and convenient for doctors.

:-\ I don't know, I don't think it's black or white but there is certainly a lot of corruption.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 12:42:35 am by apis »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf