Author Topic: Woman Gets €800/month For EMF 'Disability'  (Read 24726 times)

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
Re: Woman Gets €800/month For EMF 'Disability'
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2015, 09:34:11 pm »

If you don't believe that is fine, I am not here to convince anyone.
I tend to be skeptical myself...

...snip...

I can divine but I have no idea how it works.

Yeah, no, you're not a skeptic if you believe in divining. That makes you a fruitcake.

Sent from my Tablet
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2015, 09:44:47 pm »

...snip...

Yeah, no, you're not a skeptic if you believe in divining. That makes you a fruitcake.

Sent from my Tablet
The only fruitcake here is you.
But hay who is keeping score.
Now run along and play, the adults want to talk.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2015, 10:42:39 pm »
So wrong! It could also mean the make believe mind of a 7 year old child. I still remember making my own divining rods out of old coat hangers when I saw them on Tomorrows World or something like that back in the 70's. You know what? They bloody well worked! When I placed them over my mums kitchen sink they crossed and when I moved away they went straight again. All the adults were amazed at my divining ability.

I wasn't convinced. There were some puddles in the back garden that only sometimes worked. I didn't like the fact the skin on my fingers was acting as a friction barrier - I wanted precision. I think I used some split pencils with the leads taken out or something to stop my grippiness interfering with the natural divination science. Wow! They worked so much better! Every puddle they would cross, the sink, everywhere, and uncross on dry land.

I was convinced, but still something was bugging me. I knew even then that the slightest tiniest wrist movement could easily move those rods. I came to the conclusion that it was bunk. I think I became an atheist around the same time when my religious school teachers told me that god is watching me all the time... like even when I go for a pee pee... mmmkay  :wtf:

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2015, 11:03:41 pm »
If divining worked as well as it did, why doesn't the  oil industry hire dowsers?

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2015, 11:18:47 pm »
If divining worked as well as it did, why doesn't the  oil industry hire dowsers?
But they do - didn't you watch Uri Geller claim he has no need of the psychic scam market anymore as he is in hot demand by all the oil gas and mineral mining companies?

It's just like all those Psychics that are constantly called on by the FBI, at least if you watch Fox News and Oprah. Though they only seem to provide "retired" Police & FBI guys to back up the claims, and they are fantasists too.

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2015, 11:29:56 pm »
But they do - didn't you watch Uri Geller claim he has no need of the psychic scam market anymore as he is in hot demand by all the oil gas and mineral mining companies?

It's just like all those Psychics that are constantly called on by the FBI, at least if you watch Fox News and Oprah. Though they only seem to provide "retired" Police & FBI guys to back up the claims, and they are fantasists too.

I have several friends who work in the oil and gas industry. I'll have to ask them next time I see them but I'm pretty sure they didn't do years of geology and earth studies (and be compensated well to boot) just to be outdone by some guy with a bent coat hanger. Exploration is one of the biggest expenditures that a oil/gas company makes, the industry spends billions every year looking for new fields and investing in sophisticated technology and the brightest minds to drive the equipment.

Show me an example of an oil/gas company claiming to use dowsing or other supernatural effects, not just someone claiming to work for the industry. After all, Uri has been caught lying before, so it wouldn't surprise me if he were bullshitting.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 11:31:53 pm by tom66 »

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2015, 12:52:22 am »
Those wily arabs at ENOC forced my Dragon Oil shares from out of my ISA. Yeah, 400% profit but that's chicken feed. It seems obvious to me they got in cahoots with Uri Geller and Sylvia Browne from beyond the grave before the takeover. Unless you know something else?  :-DD

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2015, 03:25:53 am »

Maybe 2.5 miles is too far down, explosives and seismic sensors seem to work just fine.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2015, 03:31:30 am »

Maybe 2.5 miles is too far down, explosives and seismic sensors seem to work just fine.

The biggest advance in oil exploration sense the 80s has been in the 3D analysis derived from seismic surveys. The use of computer tech had a huge effect later followed by horizontal drilling tech. It really is a high tech business.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2015, 08:34:04 am »

...snip...

Sent from my Tablet

I'm keeping score. So far in this thread you've 1) Not only claimed diving is legit, but that you can do it. 2) Despite #1 said you're a skeptic. 3) Claimed anyone who debunks woo-woo pseudoscience is actually closed minded and not a skeptic. 3) Claimed James Randi is a fraud.

If you can't see how reason #1 by itself makes you a fruitcake, then maybe you're right.  I apologize, you're not a fruitcake.

You're batshit fucking crazy.

Sent from my Tablet
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2015, 09:04:34 am »

More tea Vicar?

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2015, 12:48:00 pm »

...snip...

Sent from my Tablet

I'm keeping score. So far in this thread you've 1) Not only claimed diving is legit, but that you can do it. 2) Despite #1 said you're a skeptic. 3) Claimed anyone who debunks woo-woo pseudoscience is actually closed minded and not a skeptic. 3) Claimed James Randi is a fraud.

If you can't see how reason #1 by itself makes you a fruitcake, then maybe you're right.  I apologize, you're not a fruitcake.

Sent from my Tablet
I am sorry you get so disturbed over something that cannot comply with a sixth grade explanation. The fact this upsets you so much says volumes about your ability to cope with the unexplained.

I hope you get help soon.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2015, 01:56:59 pm »

More tea Vicar?

This made me spew coffee.

:-DD
Some are easily entertained at others who due to ether breeding or education must resort to profanity to express themselves.

But....
Guilty as charged I find it entertaining when someone appears to not have sufficient vocabulary and must resort to profanity in order to verbalize what is going through their mind.  :)

Sue AF6LJ

Offline SionynTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2015, 05:40:22 pm »
speaking of dowsers dawkins interviewed one for his enemies of reason program, when he failed to come with the goods he told dawkins his dowsing failed was beacuse GOD was playing jokes on him.

eecs guy

Offline SionynTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89 on: September 02, 2015, 05:56:27 pm »
another thought on EMF sensitivity:
considering the amount electrical devices would we see a huge spike in numbers if this EMF sensitivity was a thing,

the fact is we don't.
For it to work you need some physics effect which would cause some chemistry to happen which then would intern cause biological effect, but we know this can't happen electromagnetic fields have been studied and studied and no effects at these safe levels (non ionizing) has ever been shown.

i cant even find any real studies that shows this as a thing beyond some conspiracy theorists. The WHO say its characterized by a variety of non-specific symptoms that differ from individual to individual, dosent that amount to just random chance  since there is no correlation between the cases.
eecs guy

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2015, 06:41:00 pm »
You know birds have magnetic proteins in the retina, which they use to navigate with. There might be one or two people with a genetic defect that allows them to have the same protein, so they might have some ability to sense magnetic field.  Thus you might have one in a million who can sense magnetic slow changing fields, though you do need a large field, and they would also be disorientated by cars, speakers, fridge doors, passing ships, bridges, railways, large buildings and anything with large ferrous concentrations.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2015, 08:09:23 pm »

More tea Vicar?

Some are easily entertained at others who due to ether breeding or education must resort to profanity to express themselves.

But....
Guilty as charged I find it entertaining when someone appears to not have sufficient vocabulary and must resort to profanity in order to verbalize what is going through their mind.  :)

Ah, the old "using naughty words makes you ignorant" fallacy. It's called a colloquialism, bitch. ;D

Just because I *choose* not to pepper every sentence with protean words isn't due to a lack of vernacular versatility on my part. In fact, it makes *you* seem closed minded; don't judge a book by it's cover.

Besides, 'fuck' is the most versatile word in the English language. It's a verb, noun, adjective, adverb, pronoun, compound and in some cases can take the place of entire sentences and even punctuation.

Sent from my Tablet

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2015, 08:17:39 pm »
You know birds have magnetic proteins in the retina, which they use to navigate with. There might be one or two people with a genetic defect that allows them to have the same protein, so they might have some ability to sense magnetic field.  Thus you might have one in a million who can sense magnetic slow changing fields, though you do need a large field, and they would also be disorientated by cars, speakers, fridge doors, passing ships, bridges, railways, large buildings and anything with large ferrous concentrations.
I always wondered how ohm-ing pigeons worked.  ;)

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2015, 10:11:02 pm »

More tea Vicar?

But....

Ah, the old "using naughty words makes you ignorant" fallacy. It's called a colloquialism, bitch. ;D

Just because I *choose* not to pepper every sentence with protean words isn't due to a lack of vernacular versatility on my part. In fact, it makes *you* seem closed minded; don't judge a book by it's cover.

Besides, 'fuck' is the most versatile word in the English language. It's a verb, noun, adjective, adverb, pronoun, compound and in some cases can take the place of entire sentences and even punctuation.

Sent from my Tablet
I agree that judging a book by it's cover is not wise and closed minded but when the cover is covered with Shit We know what that book has been laying in.
Good Day sir. 
Sue AF6LJ

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: September 02, 2015, 11:22:01 pm »

You are #$%@#$& right!

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: September 02, 2015, 11:25:29 pm »
“The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is in any way a sign of a lack of education or a lack of verbal interest is just a fucking lunatic.”

- Stephen Fry

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #96 on: September 02, 2015, 11:47:43 pm »
Congrats AF6LJ and Timb on getting the thread locked.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf