Author Topic: Woopee !! Election time in Aussie Land... (Don't worry! now)  (Read 1614 times)

Offline GlennSpriggTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
NOTE:-  This post is NOT about pushing voters choices, but mainly aimed at Overseas interest.

Although here we can/do vote for individuals from various Parties, as representatives for numerous political
sub-divisions within each State/Territory, in Australia we do NOT vote for a 'President'. (Or 'Prime-Minister' here).
We vote for a 'Party', and that Party decides the Leader, including embarrassingly often 'changes' to that Leader.

I find it embarrassing when overseas people jokingly comment about... "Who's your Leader THIS month!!! "
Well, the party-list on todays ballot paper was about 5-feet wide, which had to be loosely triple folded just to
fit it in the cardboard 'booth' with you.... And apart from the usual/expected parties like [edited out]
there was a multitude of new minor parties, of the likes of.... (partial list!)....
    [edited out]
One 'shit' load of trees died, to make all that paper, yet again......  :palm:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 09:33:33 am by GlennSprigg »
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Woopee !! Election time in Aussie Land...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 10:30:27 am »
However you wish to couch it, the topic here is politics.

That is one subject that Dave has very clearly stated is not favourably looked upon.  Do not expect it to last.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 11:32:33 am »
However you wish to couch it........  ???
I thought I made it clear that my interest in 'converting'/'preaching' party policies was NOT my agenda.
Was simply, (as explained), enlightening the rest of the World how our 'system' works, out of interest !
The powers-to-be will do what they seem fit. That's ok...... :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 11:51:04 am »
I've now edited out anything from my original post that may cause concern  ;)
My 'post' was totally without any 'bias', and was purely 'informative' out of interest.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 12:54:17 pm »
I thought I made it clear that my interest in 'converting'/'preaching' party policies was NOT my agenda.

You did make that clear, but that was not the point.  Topics that enter into the political arena in any form tend to devolve.  Time will tell.

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 01:58:39 pm »
For those outside Australia, a decent set of results & analysis can be found at the ABC's (government owned national broadcaster) site.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/politics/

Full results will take a few weeks to be locked in, but at this point the current government appears to have been returned.

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 03:08:22 pm »
I never get too serious about politics. I have friends that get wayyyy to wound up too easily.

I vote, then I sit back and watch the major parties bicker for the next 3 years until the process repeats.

However things like this image, I just find hilarious.

The following users thanked this post: Circlotron, GlennSprigg, Synthtech

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 04:25:07 pm »
I am sorry , why does this change happen that often (not the smoke alarm batteries, the other one). Do your PMs not do their job well?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Synthtech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 07:46:28 pm »
Why is there a political thread here? What’s it got to do with electronics?

The following users thanked this post: Jwalling

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 05:47:02 am »
Why is there a political thread here? What’s it got to do with electronics?

Well you could say the same for "Show us a pic of your cat", or "Show us your BBQ", and a
myriad of others!  The area is for 'General Chat', where (non-electronics) is ok in 'moderation'.  :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 09:36:18 am by GlennSprigg »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 05:52:27 am »
I am sorry , why does this change happen that often (not the smoke alarm batteries, the other one). Do your PMs not do their job well?
I can't and wont say much, as it was not the intention to 'elaborate' regarding actual 'politics'  ;)
But let's just say, there's often 'in-house' fighting, by people wanting control. Not public interests.  8)

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 07:39:21 am »
This is like watching a mouse sniff at cheese in a mousetrap.

If you want this kind of discussion, try reddit TD or something.

My only comment: at least we get to keep a more-or-less working electrical supply grid for a few more years. As opposed to one powered by Unicorn farts.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: Synthtech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 10:46:35 am »
This is like watching a mouse sniff at cheese in a mousetrap.
If you want this kind of discussion, try reddit TD or something.
My only comment: at least we get to keep a more-or-less working electrical supply grid for a few more years. As opposed to one powered by Unicorn farts.

I guess I really live life 'on the edge!'   8)
Re: The 'If you want this kind of discussion....',  I don't !! and didn't.  I simply made a 'Statement', letting others
know that we just had an election that day, & that 'we' don't elect a 'President/Prime-Minister'. And how it is
embarrassing to have so many 'Leaders', & how there must be a shit load of paper used.  NOT once did I even
try to discuss/mention preferred Parties, individuals, or their Policies, and never intended to.  :phew:
Re: Your last line... Haha!! Ok that's funny  ;D.  (Though 'you' biassed the 'mousetrap', by discussing policies!  :o ).
Mind you, we could go back to burning 'Rocking-Horse Shit' instead, if we have to !!   ;D

Let's just let all this drop now. It was never meant to be a discussion/debate/argument. Besides, I guess I
can almost 'feel' that Trap-Spring slipping, and people might like to oil it a bit !!   :palm:

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 02:37:17 pm »
Well the pollsters and numerous pundits were again made to look as incompetent ans stupid as ever. The most interesting thing from the whole election fiasco again is just how demonstrably divorced from reality the media can be - the idea that the election was almost unlosable for the opposition. It's like a meme that is seeded at some point and is then just endlessly parroted and reinforced by one media agency after another (with scant analysis or factual basis) until it becomes an established "truth" to which all "informed" agree.

Can't say that I had predicted the outcome. A hung parliament or a moderately large swing for the incumbent government either way - none would have surprised me any more than the other, but I had certainly never noticed anything special about Bill Shorten or why he and the team under his leadership should have in any way been such a favorite. The guy should be properly viewed as a turkey regardless of whatever side you're on and the fact that Labor stuck with him all this time is just a sad testimony to the lack alternative of talent in his parties ranks.

Also got to wonder if Bob Hawkes death was in reality the electoral "gift" to Labor that it was purported/imagined to be. I was mostly reminded of the undignified way this ex PM (allegedly so humble and so uncomfortable in the media spotlight!) courted the media with mistress Blanche in arm to salaciously drool about their geriatric love of each other the public eye. It's like the whole media circus just got suddenly struck down with amnesia, completely forgetting just how badly this pair was on the public nose back then. That 60 Minutes episode featuring the interview in which the pair were quizzed over weather or not Bob stopped boning his missus before he started boning Blanche must have been the most switched-off episode ever.

Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 09:28:56 am »

Hmmm !!....  I'm not sure the 'Helmet' above will protect me now, after that last comment !!!  :palm:
But one can only hope !!   (Hey, get your finger off that latch ! )   :phew:

• Super Contributor
Re: Woopee !! Election time in Aussie Land... (Don't worry! now)
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 09:57:32 am »
Come on..... I 'think' even Dave would agree that I wasn't going to allow THIS  'Post' to get crazy  ;D
The other day, 'Brumby' said... "Topics that enter into the political arena in any form tend to devolve."
However, I would like to 'think' that it was 'never' going down that road, from my last few 'comments'   8)
As in the old movie, "The Life Of Brian", ...... "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life !"    :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf