Author Topic: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus  (Read 218834 times)

Offline microherb

• Contributor
Re: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus
« Reply #500 on: April 08, 2020, 08:45:12 pm »
In the current situation you co-worker's behaviour is unacceptable. I'd take this up with your boss. Maybe you can move your desk further away. But your boss also needs to try and talk some sense into your co-worker. As an employer your boss is responsible for a safe & healthy work environment. Which also means your boss can require people to refrain from activities which puts employees in danger.

Yup. And in times of confinement, offices that require people to actually be physically present must already justify this with a reasonable rationale. If the rationale is already questionable, and the employer doesn't even enforce strict rules inside the office, they are completely at fault.

Yes, actually the boss asked me a few weeks back (when we all thought the there would be a government enforced closure) if I could work from home.  My answer was yes, I have a better lab at home than at work.  But a lot of other employees in the factory can't work from home so he asked me to keep it quiet and until it is mandated I have to keep going in, even though I don't need to be there.  At least they are doing their best to keep everyone employed so far in these difficult times.

Offline microherb

• Contributor
« Reply #501 on: April 08, 2020, 08:50:06 pm »

You should leave work immediately and not return until after you talk to your boss. If your boss fails to take swift and thorough action then I would consider that as an unsafe working environment and I would walk out immediately and file a complaint with the proper work safety organization and I would not return there until the situation is corrected (if ever).  Several national governments have already made it clear that workers can not be penalized for refusing to work if their employers can't ensure SAFE working conditions during this pandemic.

If I was the guy's boss I would terminate him immediately.  He's putting everyone that he works with in jeoparty and his actions could potentially lead the collapse of that business.

Yes, I will be talking to the boss first thing this morning.  I hope the guy gets moved out of my office.  If just one of us at work were to come down with the virus the whole place would probably be shut down.  As you say that could potentially lead to the collapse of that business.

Offline microherb

• Contributor
« Reply #502 on: April 08, 2020, 08:56:48 pm »

Yup. And in times of confinement, offices that require people to actually be physically present must already justify this with a reasonable rationale. If the rationale is already questionable, and the employer doesn't even enforce strict rules inside the office, they are completely at fault.

They've been pretty slack so far, they bought a couple of cans of Glen20 disinfectant spray and a packet of disinfectant wipes for a 200m2 factory.  Put a few hand washing posters up on the wall and sent an email saying if we need to self quarantine it would come out of annual leave (if you have any).  Basically just trying to cover their asses.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #503 on: April 09, 2020, 04:37:02 am »
Our building still has plenty of dunny rolls every day. Although someone has been nicking them and breaking the locks on the holders because they have signs up on the door about it now. But I've never seen the ones on my floor empty.

I've been known to pick the locks now and then just for something to do while I'm on the can. The ones I've encountered are not very high tech, I don't think I've ever failed to pick one with a paperclip.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #504 on: April 09, 2020, 04:47:42 am »
   If I was the guy's boss I would terminate him immediately.  He's putting everyone that he works with in jeoparty and his actions could potentially lead the collapse of that business.

Depending on the local laws that might be a very bad idea. Having a party during a pandemic is stupid but what he does on his own time is none of his employer's business from a legal standpoint. You can't fire someone for getting sick, and it's a slippery slope if we allow people to fire someone for engaging in risky behavior outside of the office. I mean where do you draw the line? I've picked up cold and flu viruses many times in my life without having been to a party.

I think it's perfectly reasonable during this time to require someone to stay home if you suspect they may have been exposed but really there's no way to tell. It's entirely possible and even statistically likely that the guy who had the party is not infected. Likewise my partner's brother recently became ill with symptoms suggesting Covid and he has been following all the rules, working from home full time and only leaving the house to buy food. It's a numbers game, you can reduce your chances of getting sick but it's virtually impossible to prevent it entirely.

Offline microherb

• Contributor
« Reply #505 on: April 09, 2020, 06:21:33 am »

Depending on the local laws that might be a very bad idea. Having a party during a pandemic is stupid but what he does on his own time is none of his employer's business from a legal standpoint. You can't fire someone for getting sick, and it's a slippery slope if we allow people to fire someone for engaging in risky behavior outside of the office. I mean where do you draw the line? I've picked up cold and flu viruses many times in my life without having been to a party.

I think it's perfectly reasonable during this time to require someone to stay home if you suspect they may have been exposed but really there's no way to tell. It's entirely possible and even statistically likely that the guy who had the party is not infected. Likewise my partner's brother recently became ill with symptoms suggesting Covid and he has been following all the rules, working from home full time and only leaving the house to buy food. It's a numbers game, you can reduce your chances of getting sick but it's virtually impossible to prevent it entirely.

Well, I spoke to the boss about it this morning and he understood completely.  He spoke with my co-worker and he has been moved out of my office (will see how long it lasts).  I know it is unlikely the guy actually has the virus but the fact that he is ignoring the social distancing laws we have here in Australia makes it statistically much more likely he could get infected and thus it increases everyone else's risk that need to work with him.  At least he's been moved away from me and other staff.  I'm not sure anything more can really be done legally.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline microherb

• Contributor

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #507 on: April 09, 2020, 10:20:37 am »

Working From Home is all well and good,

and as long as there's an ample supply of dunny paper to keep the show on the road 

BUT is anyone actually making MONEY to pay the bills?

and is there real confidence that there will still be a wage to return to, or business to resume,
once Corona has left the building,
and all the other modern viri and old world maladies come back to have another go   :-//

« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 10:27:27 am by Electro Detective »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #508 on: April 09, 2020, 10:34:17 am »

and as long as there's an ample supply of dunny paper to keep the show on the road 

and is there real confidence that there will still be a wage to return to, or business to resume,
We can't wait for that. With a mix of testing, tracking (apps), keeping distance + hygiene and rotating shifts of who is going to the office when it should be possible to normalize operations. As I wrote before the experts (the real ones) think that we'll need to keep up distancing for at least another year.

Currently we are in damage control & regrouping mode. That needs to change into going into the offensive mode (well prepared & equipped). Over here some shops are re-opening again after making modifications.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #509 on: April 09, 2020, 01:32:27 pm »
Thread cleaned up.
BD137 and others, quit derailing this thread.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, Nusa, bd139

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #510 on: April 09, 2020, 02:14:38 pm »
Thread cleaned up.
BD137 and others, quit derailing this thread.

@bd139, in addition to the post deletions you will also have your VCEO and VBEO derated to 60V until further notice!  :-DD
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, nrxnrx, 2N3055, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #511 on: April 09, 2020, 02:16:34 pm »
 >:( :-DD

(sorry Dave - I'll keep on topic now)

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #512 on: April 09, 2020, 02:32:30 pm »
This is one occasion where being an introvert is an advantage!  I spend most of the time on my own anyway, so this situation, in that respect, is no different for me!

Yes indeed, except that it's bound to make you even more of an introvert in the end. It certainly won't help. But maybe you're already introvert beyond repair, I don't know! ;D

But seriously, I think the situation is going to damage our social skills and behaviors if it lasts, however introvert or extrovert we are.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #513 on: April 09, 2020, 02:40:18 pm »
This is one occasion where being an introvert is an advantage!  I spend most of the time on my own anyway, so this situation, in that respect, is no different for me!

Yes indeed, except that it's bound to make you even more of an introvert in the end. It certainly won't help. But maybe you're already introvert beyond repair, I don't know! ;D

But seriously, I think the situation is going to damage our social skills and behaviors if it lasts, however introvert or extrovert we are.
You write like being an introvert is a bad thing to be fought against. The only reason to fight against it is to be able to function in a society that persecutes the introverted. As society changes to require less and less direct interaction with others, being an introvert is an unbridled good.

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #514 on: April 09, 2020, 03:03:52 pm »

We can't wait for that. With a mix of testing, tracking (apps), keeping distance + hygiene and rotating shifts of who is going to the office when it should be possible to normalize operations. As I wrote before the experts (the real ones) think that we'll need to keep up distancing for at least another year.

Adam Savage had some wise word on that in one of his recent live streams

https://youtu.be/hIbgY1n5bDo?t=3029

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #515 on: April 09, 2020, 03:04:57 pm »
being an introvert is an unbridled good

Really?

• Psychology: a person predominantly concerned with their own thoughts and feelings rather than with external things. Compare with extrovert.

Isn't that another term for 'self-centered'?

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #516 on: April 09, 2020, 03:48:41 pm »
being an introvert is an unbridled good

Really?

• Psychology: a person predominantly concerned with their own thoughts and feelings rather than with external things. Compare with extrovert.

Isn't that another term for 'self-centered'?
No. Most self centered people seem to be extroverts.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #517 on: April 09, 2020, 04:09:40 pm »
As an introvert myself I don't see it as a bad thing necessarily, however it certainly does come with disadvantages. Extroverts tend to have an easier time making connections, they tend to be more successful in their careers, they have an easier time with dating and all that stuff. Overall I wouldn't mind being a tad more extroverted however yes, under the current circumstances my introverted tendencies definitely make the situation more tolerable.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #518 on: April 10, 2020, 04:58:38 am »
I had to go to the grocery today, been 10 days since the last trip. I wasn't really out of anything, but there's not much food left that I really want to eat. I stayed up extra late so I could get in just as the store opened at 7:00 am. There were already several dozen people there. I was surprised to see over half were wearing masks. I have no idea where they got them. One older guy was wearing a bandana, desperado style, as he drove around in a powered cart. I felt pretty icky just being there and it was difficult to keep any distance from other people. I grabbed a bunch of stuff and got out as fast as I could. I think the odds of catching anything were pretty low but it's still worrisome.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #519 on: April 10, 2020, 10:14:29 am »

I had to go to the grocery today, been 10 days since the last trip. I wasn't really out of anything, but there's not much food left that I really want to eat.
I stayed up extra late so I could get in just as the store opened at 7:00 am.
There were already several dozen people there.
 I was surprised to see over half were wearing masks. I have no idea where they got them.
One older guy was wearing a bandana, desperado style, as he drove around in a powered cart.
I felt pretty icky just being there and it was difficult to keep any distance from other people.

I grabbed a bunch of stuff and got out as fast as I could. I think the odds of catching anything were pretty low but it's still worrisome.

Not much different here at any time of the day/night,

and 'worrisome' is an understatement to realize that: 

99% of the population must be a mixed combo of clueless mis-educated suckers, gullible idiots, ignorant self centered entertainment junkies

0.5% sporting primitive canine DNA, believe it's a dog eat dog world,  and network together as a 'pack' to manipulate the 99%,
just because they can,  and oh so easily, with zero opposition or competition,
the payoff and benefits are great, with the bonus they get a genuine woody or moist from conning trusting idiots   

whilst the remaining disappointed and frustrated 0.5% have no choice but to tolerate both mentally deficient groups,
and play along till periods of slow financial recovery, progress and opportunities resume

..till the 0.5% schemers decide it's time to pull yet another global fear sting

Is it any wonder UFOs nowadays perform a quick scan of the information systems on Earth, 
them immediately do a U-Turn and PO back to their less knackered world  :scared:

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #520 on: April 10, 2020, 12:56:01 pm »
I had to go to the grocery today, been 10 days since the last trip. I wasn't really out of anything, but there's not much food left that I really want to eat. I stayed up extra late so I could get in just as the store opened at 7:00 am. There were already several dozen people there. I was surprised to see over half were wearing masks. I have no idea where they got them. One older guy was wearing a bandana, desperado style, as he drove around in a powered cart. I felt pretty icky just being there and it was difficult to keep any distance from other people. I grabbed a bunch of stuff and got out as fast as I could. I think the odds of catching anything were pretty low but it's still worrisome.
The queue outside our local supermarket looks long. Then you allow for the people in the queue being 3m apart, with a trolley between each person, and there really aren't that many people there. It only takes a few minutes to get into the store. Within that store they have put a lot of yellow tape markers on the floor, to try to make people flow in particular directions, and help them to maintain some distance.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #521 on: April 10, 2020, 01:01:58 pm »
The queue outside our local supermarket looks long. Then you allow for the people in the queue being 3m apart, with a trolley between each person, and there really aren't that many people there. It only takes a few minutes to get into the store. Within that store they have put a lot of yellow tape markers on the floor, to try to make people flow in particular directions, and help them to maintain some distance.

And still you get both parents out shopping, with the children running around uncontrolled. And to top it off, one of the parents will walk up right next to you and shout across the store at their completely uncontrolled petri dishes.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #522 on: April 10, 2020, 01:14:38 pm »

And still you get both parents out shopping, with the children running around uncontrolled. And to top it off, one of the parents will walk up right next to you and shout across the store at their completely uncontrolled petri dishes.
Our local stores won't allow more than two people in a group right now. So, you see a small number of kids with a parent, but no bigger family groups.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #523 on: April 10, 2020, 01:23:44 pm »
I had to go to the grocery today, been 10 days since the last trip. I wasn't really out of anything, but there's not much food left that I really want to eat. I stayed up extra late so I could get in just as the store opened at 7:00 am. There were already several dozen people there. I was surprised to see over half were wearing masks. I have no idea where they got them.

Yes, I noticed the same over here. I guess many are getting them from online shops. You can find masks on Amazon currently. They may not be good masks, but some are available.

it was difficult to keep any distance from other people. I grabbed a bunch of stuff and got out as fast as I could. I think the odds of catching anything were pretty low but it's still worrisome.

Yes I agree, it's pretty difficult to keep reasonable distance from other people at all times inside the shops, even when there aren't many people in there.  The sections in most shops are just too narrow for that. I admit I get a little paranoid too.

Now it's probably unreasonable since (at least from official medical opinion) the odds of catching any significant viral charge is pretty low this way. I think this is really making us paranoid.
I'm worried about the days after the crisis...

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #524 on: April 10, 2020, 09:37:02 pm »
I guess being single helps for me. Been enjoying working from home.   I could get used to this.  :D

Now if I can get my cat to face the monitors and watch the alarms for me, I could just go for a nap.   :-DD

I don't know if I would want to do this 100% of the time though, I feel I would fall very complacent and never get out of the house.   We had some nice weather for a bit though so I was going for short walks on my breaks, and then a longer walk after my shift, now that we have light after 5.   But in winter it would take a bit more effort to get out.   Saving on gas though, my truck has not moved for at least a week!  Of course gas prices are at like 89c a litre last I checked.  Have not seen gas go down that low since before 9/11.  I think it do go below a buck a few times at some point but it lasted like a day.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, nctnico, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf