Author Topic: Workshop Repair Costs  (Read 2515 times)

Offline German_EETopic starter

• Super Contributor
Workshop Repair Costs
« on: August 08, 2016, 07:52:46 pm »
Who wants to give these guys your business?  :-DD
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Kilrah, MK14, Electronoooob

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
Re: Workshop Repair Costs
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 08:32:20 pm »
That joke is so old its a true antique! So true though. When people look over my shoulder here when I do their repairs I want to charge them a spectators fee! hahaha.
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline NottheDan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 08:43:13 pm »
What if I bring coffee and donuts?

Offline ZeTeX

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • When in doubt, add more flux.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 08:46:44 pm »
What if I bring coffee and donuts?
then its only 87.99$

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 09:02:33 pm »
When people look over my shoulder here when I do their repairs I want to charge them a spectators fee! hahaha.
I just look back at them with my very special face expression and they just go away  :-DD. Sometimes even apologize LOL, no need to say any words.

Offline German_EETopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 12:05:38 pm »
It depends on what's being fixed. As a kid I watched the TV repair man do his thing and he was kind enough to give me a guided tour around the innards of the TV set. I've also sat and watched a plumber turn a collection of water and gas pipes in one combination to a collection of pipes in another using nothing more than elbow joints and experience, THAT was fun to watch. My father was a plasterer and even now I can stand there and watch someone who has the knack chase a bead of water around the wall until the surface is dead flat.

Now, what IS annoying are the people who constantly want to know 'what's that'? or 'what does that do'? as their fingertip gets close to the 1100V anode cap on a power amplifier. As for the 'why didn't you do that, it's much better' crowd, they get shown the door, the secret is to watch an expert at their trade and listen.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 12:39:28 pm »
It shouldn't be a linear scaling factor though.  Each additional level of customer participation should be a multiplier on the base rate.  The 'if you help' rate is discretionary - I've paid a good auto mechanic his hourly rate before now to work along side me rebuilding a type of marine engine he wasn't familiar with, as I didn't have the right tools for the job, and having a second pair of eyes checking it was worth the money.  OTOH, I'd previously done electrical/electronic work for said mechanic when he'd been in a tight spot.

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 12:51:57 pm »
Reminds me of this rant.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf