Author Topic: Workstation CAD video cards... marketting hype?  (Read 3003 times)

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Re: Workstation CAD video cards... marketting hype?
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2018, 03:48:10 pm »
It all depends on the SW-CAD, but Even Solidworks can be hacked to run on gamer cards, at least this is what I read on the www.

Interesting...
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SOLIDWORKS-2018-GPU-Comparison-Monster-Sized-Model-1120/
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 07:11:12 pm by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2018, 05:50:02 am »
There are some Quadro/Radeon Pro (yes that is what FirePro is called now) exclusive features:

* High-efficiency double-precision calculation
* ECC memory, in case that you need to depend on your GPU not making errors with those double-precision calculations
* Extended multi-output features, for example output to 16x 4K monitors at the same time.
* Some exotic bus interface like NV-Link, not just PCIe.

For the headless Tesla/Radeon Instinct cards, there is no display output, but you might get GPU virtualization.

Otherwise, if compared architecture for architecture, core for core and clock for clock on the same workload, a workstation card and a gaming card performs identically. There are benchmarks of those matches pairs of cards to prove this by folks like LinusTechTips and RandomGamingHD.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2018, 11:39:56 pm »
It all depends on the SW-CAD, but Even Solidworks can be hacked to run on gamer cards, at least this is what I read on the www.

Interesting...
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SOLIDWORKS-2018-GPU-Comparison-Monster-Sized-Model-1120/

Interesting, but I suspect not all features can be hacked and clearly the right driver path is not being used so performance is quite poor. 1080ti performs half as well as the low end quadros.

In order to include a GeForce card in this test, I had to use a workaround to enable RealView - which is normally disabled unless you have a workstation-class graphics card. This is absolutely something I don't recommend doing if you are using SOLIDWORKS professionally, and the performance of GeForce cards in this situation is not something worth pursuing anyway (as you will soon see).
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SOLIDWORKS-2018-GPU-Comparison-What-Is-the-Meaning-of-This-1112/

With the old Radeon cards you could simply install the modified firepro driver and get decent performance and all of the solidworks features. But this hasn't been possible for a while.
Will try this soon on a 1050 ti (they only tested the 1080 ti above).

Offline stevelup

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2018, 07:05:49 am »
I don't know if it's still the case, but certainly at some point in time only the 'workstation' cards could render anti-aliased lines which meant you hit horrific performance problems viewing complex CAD models in wireframe mode.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf