Author Topic: We got a new smoker!  (Read 3452 times)

Offline AmperaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
We got a new smoker!
« on: June 18, 2017, 12:14:07 am »
Why, do you ask, I post about a boring old smoker on an Electronics blog?

It's an electric smoker!

The cool part?

80 USD from Aldi!

My aunt and uncle-in-law have the same model, and I've tasted the wonderful steelhead trout creation while I was over there. It's awesome.

If anybody is confused as to how an electric smoker even works, there are a load of cheap Chinese caps that burn out, releasing their magic smoke, and infusing that delicious cheap burnt electronics taste into the meat.

Actually how it works is there are three trays. Two of them are inside the smoker, one with water and the other with wood chips (or soaked wood chips). The other tray is just a drip tray that's on the bottom.
A heating element heats and burns the chips making smoke, while the water tray releases steam to keep everything moist (Like a next level baste). We can even put juice or spices in the water to infuse that into the meat as well.

For 80 bucks it looks awesome. The build isn't bad, and it looks like it could hold a lot of food. We still need to get chips for it, as Aldi was fresh out, but when we do, there will be a lot more barbecues, I can guarantee that.

For those who have a smoker, what is your suggestion? What should we try first?
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: We got a new smoker!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 12:58:32 am »
For those who have a smoker, what is your suggestion? What should we try first?

I have two smokers in the house.  I want them to quit, but I can't see that happening any time soon.  :(

The following users thanked this post: Ampera

Offline noidea

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 03:40:57 am »
I don't have an electric smoker, I just get by using an old weber grill and managing the fire/draft so it doesn't get too hot

Pulled pork is pretty easy and hard to mess up for a beginner, use a pork shoulder or even easier pork collar butt and cook for about 6-8 hours @ 200-220F till it falls apart.

Hot smoked salmon is very nice

Beef short ribs are also great, but you need allow about 14-16 hours for them.

Smoked chicken is nice but smoked chicken skin is bleechchh, I watch those BBQ shows where they always talk about "bite through skin" after smothering the chicken in all kinds of crap. I'd rather just throw the skin away or turn it into crispy chicken skin in the oven.

Your next electronics project should be some sort of PWM/PID control for the smoker so that you can lower the temp and do cold smoking in it.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 03:41:27 am »
So now you can put your busted boards in and have the magic smoke re-enfused?  :popcorn:

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 04:38:21 am »
I don't have an electric smoker, I just get by using an old weber grill and managing the fire/draft so it doesn't get too hot

Pulled pork is pretty easy and hard to mess up for a beginner, use a pork shoulder or even easier pork collar butt and cook for about 6-8 hours @ 200-220F till it falls apart.

Hot smoked salmon is very nice

Beef short ribs are also great, but you need allow about 14-16 hours for them.

Smoked chicken is nice but smoked chicken skin is bleechchh, I watch those BBQ shows where they always talk about "bite through skin" after smothering the chicken in all kinds of crap. I'd rather just throw the skin away or turn it into crispy chicken skin in the oven.

Your next electronics project should be some sort of PWM/PID control for the smoker so that you can lower the temp and do cold smoking in it.

It has some sort of AC dimmer or dial that's supposed to reduce the power.

The issue with cold smoking (in my mind) that in order to get the fire hot enough to smoke the chips, you will be going over a good cold smoke temperature. This is why many cold smokers have the chips separated from the cooking vessel.

Steelhead Trout was pretty good (Basically fresh water salmon) so we may just fry salmon.

At any point in my house we have a shit load of stored meat (Frozen or what not). There should be 0 problems with finding SOMETHING to put in there.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 08:09:00 am »
Every time the fair comes to town (and that happens quite often around here) we get a stall selling smoked salmon. It's made there and then over an open flame and is damn tasty! Most times I have seconds, once I had thirds  ^-^
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 11:03:42 am »
Every time the fair comes to town (and that happens quite often around here) we get a stall selling smoked salmon.

The problem with salmon for me is no matter how hard I puff, I just can't get the buggers to light.

Online SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 02:41:15 pm »
Weber, make 2 semicurcular baskets so the coals are at the sides, leaving the middle free. Tray to fit there with a grid for the sacrifice/meal. The chips of wood are first soaked in water  till wet through, and placed above the coals when ready. Then put the lid on, leave till done and take off and eat. Making coals you can use briquettes, but charcoal is better, though you might have to add more during the middle for a big roast. Chicken place it  butt end down over a can of beer, water with spices or coke to get it nicely steamed and flavoured while being smoked.

For fish nothing beats taking the freshly caught carp or catfish at the dam, gutting them, spicing the cavity and then wrapping in clay and dropping into the fire for 3 hours ( till it is near burnt out) and then break the clay off the tasty flesh inside.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 02:43:15 pm by SeanB »

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 03:43:41 pm »
Every time the fair comes to town (and that happens quite often around here) we get a stall selling smoked salmon.

The problem with salmon for me is no matter how hard I puff, I just can't get the buggers to light.

I think you need a bong or hookah for that.

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 03:56:35 pm »
Smoked mullet is my personal favorite fish. Not sure if it can be had where you are, but it's very common & cheap in Florida. Just have to be careful of the bones.

One of the blessings of hurricanes and major storms here in North Florida, is the availability of great smoking woods like hickory & pecan. I used to ride around with chainsaws after any major storm looking for downed trees. Most of the hickory and pecan would be used for firewood as I heated with a wood stove at the time. Both put out more BTUs than most other native wood and are not toxic. I'd always cut a few 4" slabs just for smoking tho. All of my smokers were made from repurposed beer kegs

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 07:30:45 pm »
Forget fish, my favorite smoked food is bacon. A smoky bacon sandwich in crusty bread with lots of butter may be bad for the heart but it's a great way to go  :-DD
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 07:34:53 pm »
Pork ribs on the roster for today. They were given a mustard and a (something bacon) spiced rub. Smoked using dry mesquite chips, temp 225F (107c) for 3-4 hours.

Here's a pic.

Offline Syntax_Error

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 10:02:35 pm »
I have a similar electric smoker. I do ribs and smoked turkeys fairly often. They are fantastic.

Enjoy your new smoker.  :-+
It's perfectly acceptable to not know something in the short term. To continue to not know over the long term is just laziness.

Offline 3db

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 11:46:34 am »
So now you can put your busted boards in and have the magic smoke re-enfused?  :popcorn:

Nice.  :-DD 

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 03:03:12 pm »
Does it repair traces too? I have a Mach 64 that's currently being held together with bodge wires.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf