Author Topic: Worst 5 Computer Keyboards  (Read 7548 times)

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
Re: Worst 5 Computer Keyboards
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2017, 12:28:18 pm »
YES, I remember those! :-DD It's one of those things that is only funny afterwards... They had an additional row of buttons under the Del/End/PgDn button for OnOff/Stby/Sleep, so sloppily hitting the arrow was dangerous too. (For me) it was quite shortly after the ATX system was introduced with soft power-off. I had those in my school, after having previously worked with computer with big, "hard", power-killing, clunking, double-pole mains switches, making it look even more absurd to have a power button on the keyboard. Quite some unsaved work was sent to homework heaven due to these buttons. Luckily, I haven't seen those keyboards since.

Yes you are right. It is the same keyboard.

On the back of the keyboard was the name of the Australian importer. These keyboards were imported from China around the year 2000 and I inherited one for use in some test gear. Once, after losing about 4 hours work after a sudden power off, I smashed the keyboard and threw it in the bin. I also contacted the importer and told them where they can stick their keyboard :horse:.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 01:07:26 pm by VK3DRB »

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2017, 01:35:02 pm »

I find the Toshiba Libretto and HP 100LX type keyboards to be kinda bad, but that is just because they are small.

They are small, and you have to use a different technique. I have a couple of Librettos and a 200LX, when I used them all thise years ago the 200LX was definitely a thumbs only experience, but it didn't take long to become reasonably adept, and I still much prefer that experience to touch keyboards, much less chance of a mis-key.

Back to Toshiba laptops, I found the location of the right shift, arrow and enter keys on all their laptops to be extremely irritating as it was too easy to accidentally select text and overwrite it. Even after a few years with a couple of Poerteges as my daily drivers, I still experienced the problem. I moved to a Dell next, then Sony, then Apple and haven't had the problem since.

I can't type with thumbs. I find I can use the HP 100LX effectively with my fingers, but it does take a bit of practise, especially when you are used to a Model M. I've attached a picture for comparison.

Also, you may notice that back when that photo was taken (around 2011), I was using a German layout keyboard, with some of the English symbols written on in pencil  ;D.

I recently acquired some IBM ThinkPads. They have very nice keyboards, but I sometimes find myself hitting the trackpoint instead of a key. They also lack Windows keys, which as a Linux user, I admire, but on PC laptops, I primarily use Windows, where a Windows key is quite useful.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2017, 11:59:26 am »
best keyboard IMO is SUN Type5

i own a few of them, but you need to build adapters - shouldnt be a problem if your on this forum.  :-+

Offline 3db

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 03:46:37 pm »
I agree with @Jwalling. That IBM keyboard is best ever made.
When you first use it you think Hmm but you soon realise that they're awesome.

3DB.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf