Author Topic: Worst soldering you've ever seen?  (Read 13668 times)

Offline PhaedrusTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Worst soldering you've ever seen?
« on: August 19, 2014, 02:03:10 am »
We just got sent this board from our office in China. I was appalled. I couldn't solder this poorly if you paid me. I refused to hook it up to our equipment. I'd want to spend a couple hours with a multimeter and the Weller before I risked hooking it up...

Have you ever seen solder this bad in person? I've seen one or two worse on the internet, but I've never seen something this bad up close.

Large resolution (THE HORROR):
"More quotes have been misattributed to Albert Einstein than to any other famous person."
- Albert Einstein

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
Re: Worst soldering you've ever seen?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 02:06:11 am »
Oh wow.

Worst I've seen was in some thread where a guy butchered his kit and demanded  refund when it did not work properly, and the thing was a complete mess. Think it was in the "worst customer you've dealt with" thread or something like that.

Offline CrashO

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 02:16:38 am »
Wow....

I think even Stevie Wonder would do a job 10 times better than that.
How the pineapple did they even manage to get the solder everywhere on the groundplane?  :palm:

Offline cimmo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 02:59:39 am »
It looks like someone's loaded the end of the iron with gobs of solder then just flicked it all over the board!
 :wtf:
Noise filter is set to ignore: Zapta, dunkemhigh, dannyf

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 03:02:30 am »

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 04:57:46 am »
Looks like they don't have the benefit of leaded solder and rosin flux, either.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline PhaedrusTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 06:31:05 am »
There's flux residue all over the board. Whatever he was using, it was probably rosin-cored. I think that he was using 60/40 on an RoHS HASL board or something.
"More quotes have been misattributed to Albert Einstein than to any other famous person."
- Albert Einstein

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 06:54:53 am »
We just got sent this board from our office in China. I was appalled. I couldn't solder this poorly if you paid me. I refused to hook it up to our equipment. I'd want to spend a couple hours with a multimeter and the Weller before I risked hooking it up...
Somewhere in your 40s you'll probably start wearing reading glasses, and then you will think more kindly of bad soldering.  :)

Offline Joule Thief

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 07:32:57 am »
In your 50's you won't be able to handle SMD's without dropping them on the rug (goodbye forever) and when you hit 60's, it won't matter since you won't remember where you put the roll of solder !!  :=\
Perturb and observe.

Offline Joule Thief

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 07:40:47 am »
I would submit this one to the thread.

I'm working on this as we speak. A piece of commercial test gear from the 80's I believe.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 08:51:16 am by Joule Thief »
Perturb and observe.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 08:10:32 am »
I can't show the worst soldering I've seen because the board didn't survive. The guy who did that was beyond any hope of ever soldering something right  :palm:
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline DenzilPenberthy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 08:47:34 am »
Some shining examples from a device that's on my bench at the moment. My client paid >£300 and waited 3 months for this. It contains <£10 worth of parts and doesn't even work.  >:(

Edit: To clarify... they bought it from someone else and I'm fixing it :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 08:54:31 am by DenzilPenberthy »

Offline richard.cs

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics engineer from Southampton, UK.
    • Random stuff I've built (mostly non-electronic and fairly dated).
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 08:49:33 am »
I've seen worse but it was done by a 12 year old on her first attempt at soldering. Most of the copper was missing from the PCB. :o

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 09:27:31 am »

I'm working on this as we speak. A piece of commercial test gear from the 80's I believe.

That must have been soldered during the jarrasic era   :-DD

Offline Joule Thief

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 10:18:31 am »

saw my little "easter egg" in that 2nd photo - good on you!
Perturb and observe.

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 10:20:52 am »

Exactly what I was thinking.

Now you just need to extract the DNA from it and make an island adventure park!

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 10:44:00 am »
I saw someone at uni totally butcher a PCB with hook up wire and terrible soldering EVERYWHERE.

The really infuriating think was that he did get the circuit working, much to everyone's surprise.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 12:06:25 pm »
I wish I had pictures to show.  ELO touchscreen monitors supposedly bought refurbished had lifted traces, cold solder joints, no solder joints and covered in flux.  There were 3 capacitors in the power supply board that would go bad.  Sometimes they were simply bulged, sometimes all that was left was the base of the cap and the rest scattered inside the monitor.  I think I ended up fixing about 50 because no one on that project felt comfortable taking apart the monitors and replacing 3 capacitors.  The work looked like it was done by blind left pawed dogs using right handed equipment.  The repair was simple but the paperwork was a pain as I had to track my time for that project, including travel time to get the equipment to the pack and ship, and break it out on my timesheet because of different cost codes plus use a different cost code when shipping the equipment back, plus using the different cost code for buying the replacement parts to get properly reimbursed.  Through hole parts replacement isn't that hard and the company that "refurbished" those monitors deserve multiple  |O |O and  :palm: :palm:
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Relayer

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 01:11:01 pm »
One of my ex-bosses had to be the worst I've ever seen.
Though what amazed me is the fact that he was doing warranty repair work for major companies: Panasonic, Toshiba, Sharp etc.
I found out a few years after I left his employ, that when some of the major companies that pulled him up on the shoddy solder work, he told them it was his techs, me included, that were the culprits.  :palm:
Regards,
Relayer

Offline avaldezc92

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 03:46:58 pm »
It seems that it was make on porpuse. I've never seen something like that. I've seen really really bad designs. One boss route VCC and GND crossing each other. I don't know what he was thinking.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 01:35:59 pm »
I had a more expensive type of Philips digital clock radio that was giving intermittent trouble about 15 years ago. I opened it up and was shocked by the deplorable soldering in side. Hand soldered, cheap arse components, disgraceful component mounting, insufficient solder and dry joints everywhere. It was the worst soldering I have ever seen on a consumer product from a so-called reputable brand. Made in China of course. When so-called named brands start producing crap, sacrificing quality to save a few bucks, it scares customers off.

I have never bought anything with the Philips brand since. Would not even consider them.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 01:37:56 pm »
One of my ex-bosses had to be the worst I've ever seen.
Though what amazed me is the fact that he was doing warranty repair work for major companies: Panasonic, Toshiba, Sharp etc.
I found out a few years after I left his employ, that when some of the major companies that pulled him up on the shoddy solder work, he told them it was his techs, me included, that were the culprits.  :palm:
Regards,
Relayer

Why should he own up to his incompetency when he can easily shove it off on others >:D
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline N2IXK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 04:50:05 pm »
Why should he own up to his incompetency when he can easily shove it off on others >:D

Isn't that principle taught the first week in business school?
"My favorite programming language is...SOLDER!"--Robert A. Pease

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 07:59:52 pm »
I don't even... Found this attempted repair on a plasma TV power supply.

Offline Dave Turner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 09:34:52 pm »
Regarding the original photo I suspect that there are a lot of dry joints too judging by the appearance - completely unacceptable.

For decades my soldering iron for electronics was a 15W Antex plugged directly into the mains. I've got at least 4 such irons of varying wattages. Whilst such irons are derided these days I  built many electronic projects successfully with them and despite now owning a good temperature controlled unit I will still keep my old ones.

With age my biggest problem now is to finely manipulate solder, iron, wire and socket without shaking, thus causing bad joints. Once upon a time I could do all this with just my fingers but no longer.  Now I need two extra hands to hold everything steady. Everything takes 10 times longer.  Aah well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf