Author Topic: Would like assistance in going over the Tek 465B  (Read 2031 times)

Offline adauphin

• Regular Contributor
Would like assistance in going over the Tek 465B
« on: August 13, 2012, 01:12:45 am »
So I picked this thing up in hopes to learn all about analog oscillscopes, very interesting and slightly intimidating at the same time.

I also have a Global Specialities 4001 pulse generator, mainly what i'm after is if someone can give me a short run down of a few basic hookups to ensure the scope is functioning correctly. I have been over the manual and it's written just slightly above laymans terms.

I understand what the scope does, but there's alot of functions as well and myself not being experienced, I don't want to overlook anything in the process.

I don't have any probes yet, not until mid week but I have a pair of BNC cables for the pulse generator to hook that up at two points on the scope.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

So basically if someone experienced was to pick up one of these scopes, how would they test it and what settings would they use?

Feel free to email, PM or call me or just post here for others.

Offline timcki

• Contributor
Re: Would like assistance in going over the Tek 465B
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 03:29:48 am »
start playing with it....
take you bnc cable from the output of the signal generator plug it into channel 1 of the scope.
set the signal generator on something easy like  1000khz or 1mhz sine wave. Now try to acquire the signal on the scope.
vertical is volts
horizontal is time
then you can play with the position to get the signal in the center of the screen.
none of the knobs on the front will "break" the scope so do be afraid to try messing with them.

first you are going to see what looks like a wide dim light show up on the screen.
now move to the time/Div knob start turn that until the line becomes clearer
you should see what looks like a bunch of lines on top of themselves.
now play with the trigger knob turn it slowly until the lines stop scrolling across the screen

when you see a single line sine wave not moving left or right you have captured a signal.
yea!

now try to get  1 complete sine wave on your screen by adjusting the knobs time and  voltage. this should fill the whole screen.

now put the start of the wave on the left most cross line(these lines are called graticules) count toward the right and count the number of boxes till the end of the wave.
write that down....
now look at the volts/div knob see what that is set to...
write that down.....
now look at the time/div  knob see what that is set to...
write that down...

now... multiply the number of divisions by the number you time/div is set to.

frequency = 1/the number you come up with from multiplying divisions by time.
And do the division

see if that number is close to what the signal generator is set to and  Voila you have figured out Frequency
YEA!!

I found this little tutorial on line which might help
h ttp://www.wisc-online.com/objects/ViewObject.aspx?ID=ACE3503

or look on you tube for "afrotechmods" he also has a tutorial

that will get you started, you can't learn everything about the scope in on day

good luck
This oscilloscope isn't telling me anything all I see is a squiggly line....

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 03:48:48 am »
Check out some of my videos. Many feature my 465B and similar scopes. 

https://www.youtube.com/w2aew

The videos on triggering, 10x probes, vertical modes, etc. may be of particular interest.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline adauphin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 05:01:44 am »
Now we're getting somewhere......I did manage to capture a signal from a square wave. The triggered image was slightly unstable, drifting slightly left to right. Could this be my $7 Radio Shack BNC cable (50 ohm), unstable power supply, aged unit....or any combination?

So is this captured image a still, "recorded" triggered image or is this the steady pulsing from the generator that the timing is allowing to me view? I understand there is no memory or storage with this scope.

Changing the pulse width I see the image stretches so logic leads me to believe it's in continuous motion. Not 100% though.

Bear with me, I sometimes try to ask the most basic questions... as I do have an understanding of the scope, but this way it fills in alot of "uncertainty" I have from the owners manual.

Check out some of my videos. Many feature my 465B and similar scopes. 

https://www.youtube.com/w2aew

The videos on triggering, 10x probes, vertical modes, etc. may be of particular interest.

I will check them out, thanks.

Offline adauphin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 06:19:02 pm »
Mods feel free to move this to the "Beginner" forum, I totally overlooked that as well as the vids at the top.

Thanks w2aew, excellent tutorials.

Offline bullet308

• Frequent Contributor
  • Jack of All Trades, Master of None Related to EE
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 11:02:26 pm »

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TekScopes/

A brilliant, friendly fount of information on all things CRT Tek.

>>>BULLET>>>

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf