Author Topic: Would really appreciate some help... :)  (Read 5784 times)

Offline TeeTopic starter

Would really appreciate some help... :)
« on: December 11, 2011, 02:49:57 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm wanting to buy my husband a new soldering station for xmas, but unfortunately know bugger all about any of it. I've done a little searching.. for some reason had my heart set on a Hakko but don't think it will arrive from the US in time. I've just come across this one

eBay auction: #http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SAIKE-898D-Hot-Air-Gun-2-1-REWORK-STATION-soldering-/280758990252?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item415e8a35ac

and wanted some opinions. Otherwise can you recommend me something i'll be likely to get my hands on in Aus for $150 or less?

Thanks so much

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Would really appreciate some help... :)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 03:36:30 pm »
Congrats, you must be the only female on this site!

The Hakko FX-888 is great, but if you're worries about it being shipped in time, i would recommend trying to search out an electronics store near your area. I'm not very experienced with lots of different soldering stations, but the two main ones seem to be Hakko's and Weller's. Two key things to look out for; make sure it has an adjustable temperature knob, and make sure that it has a seperate base station that the iron attaches to... don't buy one of these irons that has teh temperate control built right into the iron itself; they're crap!

Good luck.

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 04:12:25 pm »
I agree with olsenn, at this late stage of the game spend the shoe leather and the money and buy a Hakko or Weller locally. Also means you can return it if he doesn't like it for some reason (although any man who does that to his wife doesn't deserve either a Hakko or a Weller!  ;) ).

Offline PeterG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 10:56:46 pm »
The 898D is a Rework station witch will be more bang for buck. having both Soldering Iron and Hot Air makes a lot of tasks easier.
The seller is in Queensland so support is local as well.

I dont think you will get a 240v Hakko for under $150.

Regards
Testing one two three...

Offline TeeTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 11:04:55 pm »
The only female.. haha, the things I do ;)

Thanks heaps for your replies! I couldn't find any local sellers of Hakko's... and I really looked. Although I did keep trying to find blue ones...? I think I saw a black one in Aus...

And Wellers were atleast $200AU I think.

Are either of these sold in Australia for my price range? And if so, where?

Thanks again :)

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 11:23:26 pm »
Be aware that the US sourced ones may well be designed for 110V mains voltage. Check it is switchable for 220/240V.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 11:48:52 pm »
BEWARE: The FX-888 is a fixed voltage, buying a 110V unit from the US will NOT work in Australia.

Cheapest FX-888 I can find in Oz is:
http://www.oritech.com.au/productDetail.aspx?productID=27313

But Farnell now have it for $175ex
In stock, and they will courier to your door for free next day.
http://au.element14.com/hakko/fx-888/soldering-station-fx-888/dp/171902103

Dave.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 05:59:45 am »
for some reason had my heart set on a Hakko but don't think it will arrive from the US in time.
ask the seller to ship with UPS, Fedex or such. will be on your doorstep on 19th if you order today. but ask first about the 110V thing.
no olsenn, she's not the only female here. be aware you can be accused to be a racist for that :P
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 06:47:49 am »
she's not the only female here. be aware you can be accused to be a racist for that :P

Since when are men and woman a difference race? :P
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 06:51:03 am »
ask the seller to ship with UPS, Fedex or such. will be on your doorstep on 19th if you order today. but ask first about the 110V thing.
If you are importing something from overseas then customs delays could really spoil your day. And UPS or Fedex may add their own customs expediting fees on top of import duties. All told, it's probably best to buy from a domestic seller if time is of the essence.

no olsenn, she's not the only female here. be aware you can be accused to be a racist for that :P
Ha. I always thought women were a different species from men...  :-*

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 06:52:50 am »
no olsenn, she's not the only female here. be aware you can be accused to be sexist for that :P

FTFY :)

Offline TeeTopic starter

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 10:53:43 am »
i know the word, i just want to deviate something, kinda not pointing to a specific individual and not hurting the "feeling" :P but i have to admit though, i'm not a native english here, so... racist? ??? :P :D

sexist :P

Think we'll go with the $175 hakko one from Aus... bit more than i anticipated, but hey he'll love it. Thanks again guys...and girls :)

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 12:05:02 pm »
then you are sure its 110V power supply right?
Sure it is not! No half baked 110V supplies here in Aus.

you dont want the hubby moans his toy is not hot enough during christmas eve night do you?
Chrismas Eve it should still be a surprise! Plug a 110V iron in Christmas day would be an altogether different surprise.

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 12:10:50 pm »
Only by a prat :p  (If you were referring to my reaction to Kiriakos's comment in the Agilent thread, you missed my point entirely I'm afraid.  But dragging it up again is hardly a constructive use of time, is it?)

Offline TeeTopic starter

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 01:05:27 pm »
haha ok so the link further up from element 14 was where i was going to get it from.. will that be ok here in Aus?

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 02:52:58 pm »
Mechatrommer: sexist would be me saying that females aren't smart enough to be engineers. Noting that Tee is probably the only female here is an observation only.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 03:14:50 pm by olsenn »

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 03:03:29 pm »
haha ok so the link further up from element 14 was where i was going to get it from.. will that be ok here in Aus?

Yep it'll ship from the Australian warehouse and probably arrive overnight :) 240v as required in Aus

Offline TeeTopic starter

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 12:27:39 am »

Yep it'll ship from the Australian warehouse and probably arrive overnight :) 240v as required in Aus

Thank yoooooou!!! And thanks to everyone else again, you've been a great help :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf