Author Topic: Would really love help with networking.  (Read 2143 times)

Offline AmperaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Would really love help with networking.
« on: September 05, 2016, 02:36:11 am »
Now before I begin I am ready to accept I fked up and bought something useless to my needs, but I have recently purchased an Edimax AC-1200 Wireless dongle (USB 3) for use as an Access point.
Now for some reason, using stuff like Virtual Router Manager (fancy graphic shell for console commands I think) and other similar methods in operating systems like Ubuntu, connectivity is unstable if possible at all. It did work ONCE when I had it on an 802.11 N 2.4 Ghz mode.

So what are my intentions? The 2.4 Ghz band is crowded by everybody's wireless anything and with very few stable channels, I want to use a 5.0 Ghz network with my compatible devices, however I am unable to get the dongle to host an infrastructure network stably (AD-HOC is not supported by operating systems like Android). If any suggestions are available I would love some, but I am willing to accept I just bought something that doesn't work well with that.

Any specific information can be given at request, more info and such. I would love any help.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Re: Would really love help with networking.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 02:40:50 am »
Yes, you bought the wrong tool for the job. As you as probably already aware, you could have just picked up a cheap consumer 5GHz router/access point and be done with it.

Whilst it's not impossible, it can be a lot of dicking around. You also won't get anywhere near the coverage you would have with a device with some kind of external antenna. As far as I know, you can configure pfSense to use a wireless NIC to basically act as an access point, however I've personally never tried it.

(AD-HOC is not supported by operating systems like Android).

Also, Ad-Hoc networks are supported by Android and have been for a long time. I use my Android handset to connect directly to a Wi-Fi OBD-II dongle I have plugged into my car. It also works with devices such as printers.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 02:42:41 am by Halcyon »

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 02:50:24 am »
5Ghz routers aren't cheap. The dongle was 20 bucks and has an antenna that swivels out.

Either way I have used it as it was originally intended as a wireless antenna, so it's not a total waste.

I need to try AD-HOC again, but last I did, it wasn't detected and hasn't been available in earlier versions of Android. I currently run 6 on an NVidia Shield Tab.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 02:56:00 am »
Alright, well thanks. 5Ghz routers are never cheap going 100 dollars to higher. APs aren't good either.

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 03:07:05 am »
However I have found one for 20 bucks on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/D-Link-DIR-820L-802-11AC-Wi-Fi-AC1000-Wireless-Dual-Band-Network-Router-/371552908162?hash=item5682477382:g:7AkAAOSwFnFWE~du

Doesn't need to be stellar, but it needs to handle about 2-3 devices.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 03:42:56 am »
Wait for a deal. I got an AC1200 Trendnet for $30 last year. Install DD-WRT on it for best results.

Just look for 802.11ac since that requires 5GHz by spec. Find out how many MIMO channels your devices support (more than 2 is not very common) so you'll know how many channels the router should support.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf