Author Topic: Would This PC Power Supply Be Fine  (Read 5813 times)

Offline SuperShermanTankerTopic starter

• Contributor
Would This PC Power Supply Be Fine
« on: June 05, 2016, 05:55:55 am »
Would this power supply be fine for a low powered web browsing PC with a 55-65 watt processor and no graphics card: http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16817170012

Here's the partlist of the PC I'm planning to build so you guys would be able to get a idea of the power usage and also the parts marked as purchased are parts I already bought:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/hn6Cm8
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/hn6Cm8/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G3260 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($53.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 45.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($19.38 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: Mushkin ECO2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($27.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba P300 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Cougar Spike MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Logisys 480W ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $0.00)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer  ($13.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $115.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-05 01:54 EDT-0400

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
Re: Would This PC Power Supply Be Fine
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 06:07:23 am »
You would be better off getting a good quality power supply.

This one is at the low end of the better quality ones. (Corsair CX430).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026&cm_re=psu_corsair-_-17-139-026-_-Product

Cheap ones tend to be unreliable, have poor quality voltage outputs (noisy/unstable), not last very long, e.g. break after only 3 months and potentially can be missing vital safety protection features. Meaning that they may potentially damage your computer when they fail, via over voltage.

They (cheap ones) also tend to exaggerate the maximum power output capabilities.

EDIT:
If you want to go cheap, but still be reasonable, you could go for: ($25).
EVGA 100-W1-0430-KR 430W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 (Possibly $19.99 AFTER rebate).

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/HvTmP6/evga-power-supply-100w10430kr
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 06:13:02 am by MK14 »

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 06:17:54 am »
ok I'll definately go for the EVGA one when I get arround to building the machine too bad I ordered the Logisys one before I asked on the forum but lesson learned always check before you buy at least it's only $20 down the drain and nothing more do you think the PSU should work for atleast a month until I can get the better PSU

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 06:27:46 am »
ok I'll definately go for the EVGA one when I get arround to building the machine too bad I ordered the Logisys one before I asked on the forum but lesson learned always check before you buy at least it's only $20 down the drain and nothing more do you think the PSU should work for atleast a month until I can get the better PSU

The cheap poor quality ones, tend to break either immediately (with smoke and maybe a bang), or after about 3 months (but it can be longer).

The fact that you DON'T intend to have a real graphics card and the lowish power consumption of your build, makes low end cheap and poor quality PSUs, LESS of an issue. So you might get away with it for a while. Sometimes you can get lucky, and they last for a while.

There is a very real risk of (poor quality ones) breaking the computer components (when they fail, due to lack of safety shut down features), which could take out the entire hard disk and ALL of its data. Which is a real pain.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 09:52:35 am »
One issue I had with a cheap power supply in the past was a poor quality power connector: it had a poor mechanical fitting on one of the 12V lines which created minor sparks and charred it. The missing line now added electrical overload to other lines, which became charred one by one in a domino effect - it almost took the motherboard connector with it.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 01:16:20 pm »
Ok so I luckally canceled the order on the Logisys one before it shipped and now I'm looking at this Antec one https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MnR48d/antec-power-supply-vp450

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 04:57:09 pm »
Ok so I luckally canceled the order on the Logisys one before it shipped and now I'm looking at this Antec one https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MnR48d/antec-power-supply-vp450

Antec usually make decent, high quality power supplies. You should do well with that one!

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 12:59:40 am »
 These are the parts I used in my last 2 builds, one for my GF, the other for my workbench machine. The only difference is that in hers I used a motherboard with 802.11bgn, and mine just has GigE, and hers has a step lower processor. Neither had a video card, and instead of the 16GB I have in my current desktop, these only have 8GB each. They are also Mini-ITS size, small little cubes. They aren't going to be overclocked, so no need for a higher end chipset, and they will never have video cards added, again no need for the higher end chipset that supports multiple video cards. And no need for a third party fan, the stock Intel fans are MORE than sufficient for the modern low power processors.

MB:       Asrock H110M-ITX     (H110M-ITX/ac on hers)
Case:     DIYPC HTPC-Cube
Power Supply: Seasonic G Series SSR-550RM  (here I did not skimp, Seasonic is definitely a top tier brand, 5 year warranty, 80 Plus Gold, and modular)
CPU:     In mine, an I3-6300, in hers, an I3-6100
Memory: Whatever DDR4 2133 was cheapest at the time, in my case GSkill NT Series 8GB (4GB x2)
Mine has a Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, hers has an 850 Evo 250GB. I've been using only Samsung SSDs in all my computers.

The performance is quite good, even in the 3D view of my model railroad CAD program (which I also drew my workbench design in) - on mine running at 2560x1440. The built in graphics from Intel has become MUCH better over the years.

Plenty of USB ports to plug my stuff in.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 01:09:38 am by rrinker »

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 03:51:14 pm »
lol $20 for an ATX PSU. I kind of want to see a tear down of this thing.   :-DD

Offline VulcanBB18

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 09:50:44 pm »
Despite the crappy nature of them, I have been really surprised that I've only 1 or 2 cheap POS power supplies actually go *BANG*!

Usually, they will allow the machine to boot okay, however, I've always found the machine will be unstable at some point.  Blue screens, hangs, strange error messages, OS wont install are all common symptoms I've encountered with the "shake a box" type of PSUs.

When I have friends ask to look their PCs (occupational hazard) because it crashes, hangs, etc all the time, typically I spot the super low budget PSU in there.  Replace it with a decent one - not even that expensive - and all their problems typically disappear, never to return  8)

cheers,

Offline Stuartambient

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 11:24:21 pm »
I know of 1 or 2 cheap psu's that went up in flames.  It was enough to convince me not to spare cost on a well known, field reviewed power supply. 

Offline sarepairman2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 02:24:58 am »
i would go for a hot wire divider and germanium rectifier to handle this supply issue

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 10:13:55 am »
If you want to accomodate for possible future expansions (like a graphics card, for example), a 450W PSU should be okay.

However, if possible future expansions are not a concern for you, i would suggest to go for a good 300W PSU. It could be that even 200...250W would be okay, but since i did not do any calculation (not even on the back of an envelope ;) ) i am right now hesitant to recommend such low power PSUs.
A good 300W PSU might perhaps not be much cheaper than a good 450W model (don't know, check your local vendors), but it should operate with a somewhat better efficiency at lower power levels (assuming the PSUs are of equal quality except their power output capability).

FYI: i am privately operating a NAS with a 65W (TDP) CPU, 16 GB ECC RAM, and 8 HDDs. All powered by a 250W PSU (an older Seasonic SS-250SFD).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:29:28 am by elgonzo »

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 11:28:07 am »
It could be that even 200...250W would be okay, but since i did not do any calculation (not even on the back of an envelope ;) ) i am right now hesitant to recommend such low power PSUs.

He has a CPU with a TDP of 65W. What other items could possibly add up to an additional 135W making a 200W PSU unsuitable??
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 12:29:38 pm »
It could be that even 200...250W would be okay, but since i did not do any calculation (not even on the back of an envelope ;) ) i am right now hesitant to recommend such low power PSUs.

He has a CPU with a TDP of 65W. What other items could possibly add up to an additional 135W making a 200W PSU unsuitable??
Why do you ask me?  :D  I already said that i did not do any back on the envelope calculation,  and i am not going to do it now  ;D
By the way, read my post again. I did not recommend against 200W PSU, i just hesitate to recommend such PSU without doing at least a basic back on the envelope calculation/estimation. Feel invited to do so...  ;)

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2016, 12:47:09 pm »
 There are two reasons I went with the larger than requires PSU in my system. One, the effectively same model Seasonic with lower output was actually priced HIGHER and also the lower priced model was not modular - critical in the small case I used.

While the machine may easily run on a far lower output power supply, there may be other factors in the choice as well. I will NEVER need 550W in these little cubes, even if I did cram in a video card (it DOES fit one, amazingly enough), but the lesser power supplies I easily found were either no modular, more expensive, or one of the Wun Hung Lo brands I don't trust. That's why I like the PC sites that actually tear these things apart and show you the build quality of the board in addition to all the electrical tests. You need to look at both - I've seen ones that have flawless looking construction and layout, yet they have horrible ripple or transient response (rare), but then there are ones that look like someone soldered them together in their basement with a 150 watt soldering gun, but the output is as smooth as a baby's bottom.(less rare than the quality builds with crap output). The issue is with who the OEM is. Antec, for example, has changed their OEM for some of their newer offerings and the quality has gone down significantly compared to some of their older units. The old 430W one running my server with 6 drives is a Seasonic OEM, for example.

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2016, 01:15:52 pm »
There are two reasons I went with the larger than requires PSU in my system. One, the effectively same model Seasonic with lower output was actually priced HIGHER and also the lower priced model was not modular - critical in the small case I used.

That explains why you would aim for a PSU with higher wattage. It surprises me a little that a PSU with lower power output is pricier, but then again it might not be surprising if the sales and distribution channels move and sell vastly more mid-range wattage PSUs than low-power PSUs.

The issue is with who the OEM is. Antec, for example, has changed their OEM for some of their newer offerings and the quality has gone down significantly compared to some of their older units. The old 430W one running my server with 6 drives is a Seasonic OEM, for example.
Yupp. That's the reason why i rather stick with reputable manufacturer brands (preferably Seasonic) than with vendor brands. Saves me from doing the research with respect to OEMs. Well, it's not like i have to purchase PSUs on a regular basis, it's just that i am a bit lazy...  :P
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 01:17:26 pm by elgonzo »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf