Author Topic: Would you employ someone without a degree in electronics?  (Read 55554 times)

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
Re: Would you employ someone without a degree in electronics?
« Reply #175 on: February 13, 2015, 06:42:53 pm »

I like Engineers,but many times,its hard to get a straight answer from them,as they are "away with the fairies",thinking about their next project.

never heard that phrase before.  I wonder if its some kind of san francisco joke or something?

lol

Offline gbrettell

• Contributor
« Reply #176 on: February 13, 2015, 08:26:30 pm »
Although entertaining ... it seems as though the original topic has been abandoned.  Gonna run out of thread if y'all keep sewing at this rate. :)

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #177 on: February 13, 2015, 08:53:12 pm »
I can only say that the best developer i know has no degree and one of the worst is a Dr.-Ing. (comparable to a  PhD)

Maybe your company pays sooo low, the only ones with a degree that show up were the biggest morons of their class.

If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #178 on: February 13, 2015, 09:04:22 pm »
I can only say that the best developer i know has no degree and one of the worst is a Dr.-Ing. (comparable to a  PhD)

Maybe your company pays sooo low, the only ones with a degree that show up were the biggest morons of their class.

For good employees the pay is a secondary consideration. More important is the work and the atmosphere.

If that wasn't the case, there wouldn't be any incentive to tell the wife you're with the mistress, the mistress you're with the wife, while you go and have fun in the lab.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #179 on: February 13, 2015, 10:35:18 pm »
oh, fark that!

its ALL about the pay.  I stopped thinking "my life == my work life" a LONG time ago.  its not worth it to donate so much of your energy to a company that could really care less about you; you are a cog in the machine, nothing more.

any manager who says otherwise is full of shit.

welcome to the real world.

"pay me my money down" or GTFO.

Offline Phaedrus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #180 on: February 13, 2015, 10:56:08 pm »
Individual managers may care about their employees, but the company itself sure as hell doesn't. Just wait until sales lag for a couple quarters and word comes down from on high to cut costs. The corporate "family" will fall apart like you're on with Maury Povich.
"More quotes have been misattributed to Albert Einstein than to any other famous person."
- Albert Einstein

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #181 on: February 14, 2015, 03:02:19 am »

I like Engineers,but many times,its hard to get a straight answer from them,as they are "away with the fairies",thinking about their next project.

never heard that phrase before.  I wonder if its some kind of san francisco joke or something?

lol

No,I mean the ones with wings ;D
The term is common in Oz & the UK-----it implies being a bit out of touch with reality.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #182 on: February 14, 2015, 06:06:13 am »
oh, fark that!

its ALL about the pay.  I stopped thinking "my life == my work life" a LONG time ago.  its not worth it to donate so much of your energy to a company that could really care less about you; you are a cog in the machine, nothing more.

any manager who says otherwise is full of shit.

welcome to the real world.

"pay me my money down" or GTFO.

IBM's pseudo-religion and its carrot-on-a-stick tactics was nothing more than complete :bullshit:. Since the early 90's the company existed for wealth of the shareholder and nothing else. They will rip you off your retirement funds if it makes their bottom line look better to the shareholders.

If you want wealth you won't get it working for someone else, no matter what frog shit you are told. But if financial wealth does not make you happy, getting your own circuit working in a product that is sold around the world can provide a great deal of satisfaction even if it is making someone else rich.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #183 on: February 14, 2015, 08:26:46 am »
I suspect that the phrase 'away with the fairies' is either Scottish or Irish.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #184 on: February 14, 2015, 04:21:15 pm »

According to an online researcher it did seem to be inspired by Scottish folklore, but the phrase only became common in print around the 1980's or so. It is therefore relatively recent.

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #185 on: February 14, 2015, 04:31:02 pm »

According to an online researcher it did seem to be inspired by Scottish folklore, but the phrase only became common in print around the 1980's or so. It is therefore relatively recent.

I always got told it was to do with the Cottingley Fairies and was a bit of a jab at Arthur Conan Doyle and his very public march into madness. I'll admit that's probably a local legend but I do know for a fact the term has been used locally since the whole debacle.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 04:37:57 pm by Mechanical Menace »
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf