Author Topic: Would you really sell on ebay ?  (Read 18695 times)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Re: Would you really sell on ebay ?
« Reply #150 on: November 03, 2020, 08:32:07 pm »
Yikes! This British ebay seller is really pissd  >:(

"Why do ebay lie so much and why is their website so Crap? Plastic Wristwatch" £124.95 + postage
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Why-do-ebay-lie-so-much-and-why-is-their-website-so-Crap-Plastic-Wristwatch/114196270385

Seriously pissd >:(

So angry he isn't making any coherent sense -  Definitely in need of a pint (or two)! :D

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #151 on: November 04, 2020, 12:59:21 pm »

"Why do ebay lie so much and why is their website so Crap? Plastic Wristwatch" £124.95 + postage
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Why-do-ebay-lie-so-much-and-why-is-their-website-so-Crap-Plastic-Wristwatch/114196270385

So he wants his MP to solve an ebay dispute?

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2020, 07:20:22 pm »

So he wants his MP to solve an ebay dispute?

Sounds perfectly reasonable, when you are obviously dealing with the most important, and the most "right", person in the entire Realm!

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #153 on: November 04, 2020, 10:02:23 pm »
hehe true

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2021, 01:44:33 pm »
I had a good month on ebay wit h£500+ turn over.
So joyfully did my end of month accounts and made about £5 !
Unless you can find something fairly unique that you can mark up well you will get bogged down in the race to the bottom on price on ebay.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2021, 01:56:02 pm »
For all its flaws, I can't say I've ever regarded Ebay as a race to the bottom in terms of selling price.

It's interesting - IMHO! - to compare the comments that come up when people compare pricing of used items on Ebay to prices on forums like this one. The unwritten rule seems to be that selling prices on forums should be absolutely rock bottom, always a good deal for the buyer at the expense of the seller.

Open a discussion on the topic and responses are along the lines of "Ebay prices are crazy, your <item> isn't worth that" - conveniently ignoring the fact that if something will sell at the higher price on another platform, it is worth that higher price, by definition.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2021, 03:58:20 pm »
For all its flaws, I can't say I've ever regarded Ebay as a race to the bottom in terms of selling price.

It's interesting - IMHO! - to compare the comments that come up when people compare pricing of used items on Ebay to prices on forums like this one. The unwritten rule seems to be that selling prices on forums should be absolutely rock bottom, always a good deal for the buyer at the expense of the seller.

Open a discussion on the topic and responses are along the lines of "Ebay prices are crazy, your <item> isn't worth that" - conveniently ignoring the fact that if something will sell at the higher price on another platform, it is worth that higher price, by definition.

This ignores the presence of that most abundant of natural resources - the Idiot!    ;D

The Idiot will happily overpay for anything, and thereby sets the market price higher than it really should be.  I'm 100% convinced that Idiots are the real cause of inflation!   :-DD

Offline Jan AudioTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2021, 04:52:53 pm »
For youtube you now have odysee.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #158 on: March 15, 2021, 07:05:29 pm »
ebay is what it is. I take the view that I need to make a certain markup, if they don't want to pay then so be it. ebay now costs me 18% as now you "can" (have) to pay for advertising to get your products into the searches. normal selling fees have quietly gone up from 10% to 13% now that they have taken over the payments. The seller dashboard is slightly more useable than it used to be but still difficult and buggy.

If you want to know what being fucked over is like try selling on amazon. As a seller I can't even talk to anyone as i don't pay £30/m membership on top of the already extortionate seller fees, the queries I have been able to put to them have been ignored. The seller dashboard is an absolute nightmare and buggy. Ebay is crap but Amazon is even worse plus they are ruthless and do take money off you when clearly the buyer is taking the piss. They keep hold of your money until they are happy so you are always several hundreds of pounds behind.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #159 on: March 15, 2021, 07:20:46 pm »
I have used $bay to sell only sporadically and it did what it was supposed to do just fine. They have their hands in your pockets at every turn. That is just the way it is, but they have some use.

A while ago, I got rid of all my old C64 stuff....stuff that "normal" people would have given away / donated, or junked years ago. But, when you are schlepping a bunch of boxes, schlepping one more seems minimal (i.e., when one moves).

I had to check and photograph everything. I had to scrupulously write the auction text and navigate a lot of bizarre $bay methods. I had to schlepp to the PO after finding boxes and packing stuff. I had to track everything and I had to answer questions. I never had any negative feedback or PITA buyers. BTW: floppy discs do last 30+ years.

It worked for me. I did get more than I thought and, nearly every thing went. Plus, it was fun to revisit all that nostalgia...and I have absolutely no regrets.

So, yeah, I really would....but only sporadically and only for certain things.
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #160 on: March 15, 2021, 07:29:28 pm »
It's either sporadic stuff to get rid of it, I will use it instead of giving stuff away as people at least turn up to take it or if they don't pay it's not being sent. If you sell a lot it's a faff but repeat items once set up are worth the effort.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #161 on: March 15, 2021, 08:02:47 pm »
I used to sell stuff on ebay and have a 100% positive feedback score over 700. For some reason they now demand access to my bank account in order to pay me, so I probably won't be selling there any more. It's too bad really as I cleaned out some closets over the winter and have a couple of dozen things I could probably turn into money pretty easily.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #162 on: March 15, 2021, 08:15:43 pm »
I used to sell stuff on ebay and have a 100% positive feedback score over 700. For some reason they now demand access to my bank account in order to pay me, so I probably won't be selling there any more. It's too bad really as I cleaned out some closets over the winter and have a couple of dozen things I could probably turn into money pretty easily.

Hmmm. I know that it came up a bunch of times, but I never gave them a bank account. I went strictly with $ay$al and they regularly bother me with asking for a bank account. I have never given one to them, but yes they have a specific CC. When I got cash from them [edit $ay$al that is], I made them send me a hard copy check, which they did. I can't recall a "convenience fee" [what a weasel term] but there may have been one.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 03:22:33 pm by DrG »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #163 on: March 15, 2021, 09:29:47 pm »

The bank account allows them to direct deposit payments. What this has changed:
- Faster payouts
- No paypal fees

Its generally a good thing. If you are concerned I would open up a new no-fee banking account and use that, or look into third party accounts.

edit: I was able to add a prepaid visa card app as my direct deposit location instead of my main bank account.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 09:14:32 pm by thm_w »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #164 on: March 15, 2021, 10:30:38 pm »
I just logged into my ebay account for the first time in many months and actually couldn't figure out where or how to add a bank account. Not that I would have. I realize there are options, but for now it seems more trouble than it's worth. I don't really see why just continuing to send money to my Paypal account is not an option.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #165 on: March 15, 2021, 11:17:22 pm »
I have been irritated by this, but have been much more successful selling on Ebay than on other market places.  I definitely did not even consider giving them information on one of my primary bank accounts, so I opened a new zero fee account at a new institution so that I am as well insulated from other accounts as possible.

It was difficult figuring out how to enter the banking information.  You would think they would make this easy, but they missed that opportunities.  Unfortunately I didn't write down the sequence of mouse clicks to get to the place where you find the information so I can't help anyone else get ther.

Ebay promises better results from this method.  Time will tell the difference between the demo and the reality.  I am skeptical, but we will see.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #166 on: March 16, 2021, 07:32:14 am »
Well basically you save 3.4% on the paypal fees but as I have already noticed the ebay fees are likely to rise. As a business seller I was offered it by them so signing up was relatively painless considering the mess that their website is.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2021, 09:17:13 pm »

Ebay takes a significant cut, and their system is strongly slanted in favor of the buyer. In exchange for that you get a huge audience and typically get top dollar for your item. Obviously people are going to expect lower prices on a forum like this. The audience is far more limited, there is no protection on the transaction, the forum isn't taking a ~20% cut on the sale price, and it's typically a transaction "among friends" of sorts, rather than a random ebay bidder. I offer stuff on forums when I just want to get it into the hands of someone who can use it and get a few bucks for my trouble. If I want top dollar, I sell it on ebay and put up with the requisite hassle.

In recent years I've seen people selling stuff at hamfests and such basing prices on asking prices on ebay. My attitude on that is if you want ebay prices, sell it on ebay, if I'm at a hamfest I'm looking for bargains, if I wanted to pay ebay prices I could do that without leaving my house. Not to mention there is a LOT of stuff sitting on ebay at absolutely absurd asking prices. It sits, and sits, and sits, waiting for that one sucker who either doesn't know any better or absolutely needs that specific item and is willing to pay. Ebay BIN prices are a useless metric, it only matters what stuff actually sells for.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #168 on: March 17, 2021, 10:28:24 pm »

Ebay takes a significant cut, and their system is strongly slanted in favor of the buyer. /--/

if I'm at a hamfest I'm looking for bargains, if I wanted to pay ebay prices I could do that without leaving my house.

It seems that they do favor buyers, and maybe unscrupulous buyers as well - or maybe they are just open to such exploitation. But not always. In the earliest days of the pandemic, I was certain that it was going to get worse and quickly and I sent relatives packs of face masks.

One pack of something else was sent, and to make matters worse, it was sent to the oldest relative. Instead of masks, some kind of cut letters, like you might use to make a sign, were sent. Being of a different generation, she was adamant that I get my money back and she schlepped the package to PO and sent it back to me (I couldn't convince her otherwise and could not lie to her - I was tempted to because the last thing I wanted was for her to go to the PO).

I get it, I photograph it, including a tracking # and I write the seller. Look, I am fine with language barriers and they work both ways, but if you are selling on an English speaking site, you need enough English to communicate. All he would say is that 'I sent the package and here is the tracking number'...this is like 3-4 messages with pictures. I knew he sent me a package, it just didn't have what I bought - not even close (and the same seller had successfully sent the right items to several people, for me). I got nowhere and went to $bay, writing a long appeal or dispute or whatever it is called, including all the info and also said I was fine returning the item as soon as the buyer sent me the address and funds (I knew he was not going to do that). - Shortly afterwards, I get a robo email saying it was denied because 'he sent the package'.

Then on to $ay$al. Sent in the complaint, pictures, all the info. While they were more attentive, they said that it would take something like 6 weeks (I don't remember exactly, but it was a long time) and they give the seller a long time to respond. I was like wtf? Why am I messing around with this crap?

I contacted the CC card, sent them the info and within 24 h they issued me a temp credit which turned into a permanent credit within a couple of days.

Get this - 1-2 days after the permanent credit, the buyer writes me (with vastly improved English) and asks if I want a refund.

So, not always favoring buyers.

As for hamfests, which also included computerfests, back in the day - do they even exist anymore? Apart from pandemic issues, I thought they were long gone and had given way to flea markets where everyone thinks they have 'valuable antiques' because they watch TV.

I should get out more and see what is out there (maybe in not too long we can).

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2021, 02:55:28 am »
As for hamfests, which also included computerfests, back in the day - do they even exist anymore? Apart from pandemic issues, I thought they were long gone and had given way to flea markets where everyone thinks they have 'valuable antiques' because they watch TV.

I should get out more and see what is out there (maybe in not too long we can).

Probably not during Covid, and they are far more rare than they used to be but they're not entirely gone. I haven't gone to one in about 10 years though because I know if I do I'll just end up with a bunch of "junk" following me home.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #170 on: March 18, 2021, 07:47:15 am »
ebay tends to favour the buyer but I have had a few instances where they have been pretty good and let me deal with the buyer and not stepped in to appease them. There is this attitude from many buyers that ebay is this faceless conglomerate of sellers and they are owed nothing by the customer and it's fine to rip them off. The last good one I had the ebay customer services person was very good as while she admitted that the situation was not fair on me she explained the best course of action which was to call the buyers bluff and accept the return that he would have to pay for. She was right, the guy backed down and actually bought another batch of the parts he had just declared totally wrong and not useable in his design.

Amazon on the other had would not talk to me and just took the money of 2x BM235's and gave it back to the customers, one got to keep the meter and was whinging about import duty the other apparently refused the parcel but I have not had it back yet......
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 07:49:20 am by Simon »

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #171 on: March 18, 2021, 03:26:23 pm »
ebay tends to favour the buyer but I have had a few instances where they have been pretty good and let me deal with the buyer and not stepped in to appease them. There is this attitude from many buyers that ebay is this faceless conglomerate of sellers and they are owed nothing by the customer and it's fine to rip them off. The last good one I had the ebay customer services person was very good as while she admitted that the situation was not fair on me she explained the best course of action which was to call the buyers bluff and accept the return that he would have to pay for. She was right, the guy backed down and actually bought another batch of the parts he had just declared totally wrong and not useable in his design.

Amazon on the other had would not talk to me and just took the money of 2x BM235's and gave it back to the customers, one got to keep the meter and was whinging about import duty the other apparently refused the parcel but I have not had it back yet......

Yeah, but if I ordered a board from you and you sent me a bag of confetti, I don't think you would repeatedly tell me that "I sent you a package".

I really only had a real problem with an Amazon shipment once. I was watching the delivery (it was a high-priced item [for me] and a couple of low-priced items) and it disappeared from the face of the earth (Amazon said damaged in shipment - sorry) only a few blocks away. Amazon told me to cancel the order (and then they would start a refund) and then I should order everything again.

I said no because I kept my part of the contract and they did not keep their part (I am steadfast on that point). Refund my money (I understand that shit happens) or ship what I paid for - those are the two choices. I am not going to help a huge company do their job for them. Their response was simply, "we would love to help, but we can't do that" and btw they would not give me a refund unless I cancelled the order - which, in this case, is pure, unadulterated BS.

So, I disputed the CC charge (because I didn't get anything) and I got almost instant results talking with a "supervisor". They fixed the order and gave me one of those "free" Prime trials.

I am sympathetic to sellers and I believe you that you can get screwed sometimes, but there is room for improvement in both directions.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 03:29:48 pm by DrG »

Offline info

• Contributor
« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2021, 04:10:01 pm »
I am sympathetic to sellers and I believe you that you can get screwed sometimes, but there is room for improvement in both directions.

could not have said it better

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #173 on: March 18, 2021, 04:46:02 pm »
I said no because I kept my part of the contract and they did not keep their part (I am steadfast on that point). Refund my money (I understand that shit happens) or ship what I paid for - those are the two choices. I am not going to help a huge company do their job for them. Their response was simply, "we would love to help, but we can't do that" and btw they would not give me a refund unless I cancelled the order - which, in this case, is pure, unadulterated BS.

So, I disputed the CC charge (because I didn't get anything) and I got almost instant results talking with a "supervisor". They fixed the order and gave me one of those "free" Prime trials.

They used to have really excellent customer service, that was one of their main selling points. In more recent times though I have been very disappointed, it's no better than average and in many cases worse. You can't even email them anymore, and it seems they have offshored most of the support so it's the same sort of script reading "support" as you get with the phone company. I've started to avoid buying from them because I don't want to deal with the crappy support, I want to be able to send off an email and await a reply, I hate the stupid chat bots.

Offline peter-h

• Super Contributor
  • Doing electronics since the 1960s...
« Reply #174 on: March 18, 2021, 04:52:54 pm »
I think people who have trouble selling on ebay are (and with apologies to anyone here who these descriptions match)

- people who try to sell junk, often defective, and hope the buyer won't complain / won't notice / won't notice until the 45 day (or whatever) deadline has passed
- people who can't write properly, write a poor / brief / nonexistent description, and thus attract stupid / careless / illiterate buyers (who then cause trouble, because these people struggle with everything in life)
- people who can't be bothered to post decent photos, so buyers expect something better / different

I have sold probably 10-20k's worth of stuff on ebay, in the last 17 years. Very little trouble. The recipe, in addition to NOT doing stuff on the list above, is

- post a photo of everything you will include and state in the advert that you will get everything shown in the photos
- do not accept bids from dodgy countries (China is a good one; full of scammers and currently there is a 100% loss rate on airmail packages *into* China, from the UK)
- write a LONG detailed description; stupid buyers will have their eyes glazing over after line 2 and will hassle somebody else

It's the same in any other business, actually :)

I also buy a lot on Ebay and it is OK for cheap stuff which doesn't matter too much if it is junk. It's very convenient... and there is stuff on there which Amazon doesn't carry.
Z80 Z180 Z280 Z8 S8 8031 8051 H8/300 H8/500 80x86 90S1200 32F417

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf