Author Topic: Would you watch EEVBlog on anything other than Youtube?  (Read 6296 times)

Offline wilfredTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Would you watch EEVBlog on anything other than Youtube?
« on: February 21, 2018, 10:54:59 pm »
/.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 07:53:55 am by wilfred »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Would you watch EEVBlog on anything other than Youtube?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 02:21:56 am »
Yes. I care about the content, not the platform. If someone decided that they wanted to publish content that I liked on some other platform instead of YouTube, I'd watch it on that other platform (assuming, of course, that it's watchable ;)).
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 06:31:18 am »
I just tried the link.  The picture is really fuzzy.  When dave does online schematic/pcb screenshots, I cant read any of the text.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 06:33:40 am »
I would very much like to give Youtube the flick but even the site linked above turned out a bit shit. Probably not the sites fault as such but it would not play a video and threw up a "Sorry, the browser you are using is not currently supported, Disqus actively supports the following browsers : Firefox - Chrome - Internet Explorer 11+ - Safari"

I generally view most videos from this stupid dumb as fuck LG television which uses a thinned down version of Chrome, the thing is only a few years old and LG no longer provide firmware upgrades or support for these models and expect everyone to run out and purchase a new one, well fuck you LG. You won't ever see my money again and I'm pretty sure we have consumer laws down here that specifically address this particular lack of support issue. I might do another letter and remind them how disgruntled I still am.

Offline hayatepilot

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 07:10:49 am »
I just tried the link.  The picture is really fuzzy.  When dave does online schematic/pcb screenshots, I cant read any of the text.
Yes, the resolution is certainly not FullHD.
Looks about the same as 360p on Youtube. Absolutely unacceptable.  :--

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 09:38:48 pm »
I generally view most videos from this stupid dumb as fuck LG television which uses a thinned down version of Chrome, the thing is only a few years old and LG no longer provide firmware upgrades or support for these models and expect everyone to run out and purchase a new one, well fuck you LG. You won't ever see my money again and I'm pretty sure we have consumer laws down here that specifically address this particular lack of support issue. I might do another letter and remind them how disgruntled I still am.

Heh, yeah, "smart TV" is an oxymoron.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 09:39:31 pm »

That's the thing. To compete with YouTube takes big bucks.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 01:33:20 am »

That's the thing. To compete with YouTube takes big bucks.
Bittorrent. It not only handles 4K with ease but also is ready for 8K 3D HDR when it eventually gets affordable for the average consumer.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 02:43:39 am »
Yes. I care about the content, not the platform. If someone decided that they wanted to publish content that I liked on some other platform instead of YouTube, I'd watch it on that other platform (assuming, of course, that it's watchable ;)).

Absolutely agree with you.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 01:09:24 pm »
"Would you watch Dave's videos much longer, If they are only available on Youtube ?"
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 07:45:48 pm »
"Would you watch Dave's videos much longer, If they are only available on Youtube ?"

Do you mean will I continue to watch Dave's videos or boycott them if they're only available on YouTube?

For now, I'll continue to watch even if they're only on YouTube. Although Google's and advertisers' shenanigans are annoying, they haven't gotten to the point of driving me away...yet.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 10:59:47 pm »
Of course I'm going to continue watching YouTube and I doubt that I am going to hunt around for GeeWhizVideo.com.

In the special case of EEVblog, if the videos on the home page are linked somewhere else and if that somewhere else shovels out high quality video then I guess I'll play along.

EEVblog isn't the only YouTube provider I visit.  I simply can't get away from YouTube as long as they are the only credible provider and none of the 'me too!' providers have the money it takes to compete with YouTube.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 11:10:24 pm »
I concur. My subscription list has grown surprisingly long. It's amazing how many electronics-related channels exist on YouTube (as ez24's project illustrates).

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 11:23:42 pm »
I saw Dave tweet today about Bitshute. I'm so used to just going to Youtube it has surprised me how hard it is to change.
I think there is a critical mass aspect to it as well. Once I am there there isn't any of the other stuff I watch available.

Yep, and therein lies the critical mass problem.
And IMO Bitchute is probably the best alternative at present.

It doesn't matter how good a platform is technically, if it doesn't have other stuff you want to see then most will not bother to use it long term.
Also it doesn't even matter how popular a site is if it doesn't have the right mechanisms, like Facebook, it won't win as the dominate video platform.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 12:31:21 am »
And IMO Bitchute is probably the best alternative at present.
First look at the Bitchute link Wilfed put up and it's great, more should use it !

Because I now have a reasonably fast connection I particularly liked the way a vid loaded fully so if I don't get back to watch it for a a day or so it doesn't want to start all over again like YT.  ::)  :--
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2018, 12:37:13 am »
I do not give crap about facebook or youtube, but i do about video quality. Give me a link to whatever as long as it is smooth sream and i will watch. I also do not give crap about any drive-by garbage that the platform tries to push with videos. Therefore no particular platfotm matters to me, it all just about quality and content.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2018, 12:50:30 am »
I would, though I do admit Youtube is my goto for general video viewing and searching, so I'd have to remember to check the other platform too for new videos.   

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2018, 01:51:22 am »
I see where Bitchute chose to caption the title in RED.  This isn't entirely useful to people who suffer from red-green color deficiency.  In other words, I can't read them!

Red is a particularly bad color to use.  I was messing around with some python package updates today and I simply couldn't read the error message.  I knew something went sideways because there was a large message but I have no idea what.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 04:26:55 pm »
I view on YouTube, but mostly on my Apple TV.

Offline IdahoMan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 11:23:13 pm »

With YouTube (owned by Google -big surprise) going the censorship rout, everybody needs an alternative video hosting service.

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 11:43:49 pm »
I'd watch Dave's content even if the only presentation technology he used was marionettes or hand shadow puppetry.

However, it is awfully convenient to watch via YouTube.  I like that it has the ability to play videos selected in a browser to smart devices (TVs) with a YouTube application built-in. 

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2018, 02:27:31 pm »
Bittorrent. It not only handles 4K with ease but also is ready for 8K 3D HDR when it eventually gets affordable for the average consumer.

I almost always download the video from YouTube anyway because streaming just sucks.  Unfortunately YouTube blocks downloads above 720p unless I take special steps.  So if I cannot download the video or it is not 720p or better, I am not interested.  My preference would be downloading via bittorrent which is better than using a browser anyway but nobody supports that except piracy sites.

The following users thanked this post: evb149

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2018, 02:28:59 pm »
With YouTube (owned by Google -big surprise) going the censorship rout, everybody needs an alternative video hosting service.

They sure are.  And Google searches conveniently do not return results which identify where they are doing this.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2018, 01:08:33 am »
I almost always download the video from YouTube anyway because streaming just sucks.  Unfortunately YouTube blocks downloads above 720p unless I take special steps.  So if I cannot download the video or it is not 720p or better, I am not interested.  My preference would be downloading via bittorrent which is better than using a browser anyway but nobody supports that except piracy sites.
I use youtube-dl and it always downloads the highest quality available. (I do that largely so I can use mpv to upscale everything to 4K.) Maybe your version is out of date?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2018, 01:12:55 am »

I use youtube-dl and it always downloads the highest quality available. (I do that largely so I can use mpv to upscale everything to 4K.) Maybe your version is out of date?

I have 4K Download as an application which works but I usually use a Firefox plug-in for convenience and they all seem to be limited to 720p.  I only pointed this out as a reason not to use an alternative video host where I cannot download the videos at all.  I would prefer just a download link.  I hate streaming and hate watching a video within a browser.

The following users thanked this post: evb149

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf