Author Topic: DV Video - Anyone still use it?  (Read 690 times)

Offline steve30Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
DV Video - Anyone still use it?
« on: February 23, 2022, 02:58:30 pm »
Does anyone here still use the DV codec for video? I use it in the form of MiniDV tape camcorders for my hobby video projects, and I'd assume it still sees some use among hobbyists who have a soft spot for old formats, but I'm curious as to whether there are many professionals/broadcasters around the world who still use it.

I was recording a political protest with my Canon XHA1 camcorder the other week (in DV mode), and stood next to me was someone who I think was from ITV news, who had a fancy modern Sony 4K camera. I took a look at Sony's professional catalogue to see what is available these days and was quite surprised to see that DVCAM (Sony's pro variant of DV) is not only present on some of their 4K models, but is still an advertised feature!

So, with most professionals and broadcasters being fully HD these days, are there any out there who still actively use DV/DVCAM/DVCPRO?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: DV Video - Anyone still use it?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 03:51:40 pm »
DextersLab is the one offhand, who has a lot here on Quantel Paintboxes, and the various interesting fixes he has done over the years to get them working again, and reverse engineering the hardware and the PAL Quantel used to set option bits in the machines, such that you can literally make the base model the top range one with only a single change to the configuration file written into a PLA chip.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf