Author Topic: WTF??? Is this valid or a scam to part fools from their money?  (Read 2831 times)

Offline GTATopic starter

• Contributor
I forgot the U-tubers name (SDG Electronics) but remembered that he posted a video about isolation transformers so I searched U-tube for isolation transformer and this video came up:

It's only about 6 mins long so I watched it out of curiosity as I assumed he would be talking about isolation in the audio processing stage *AFTER* the PS. I admit I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but from what I understand about electronics/electrical he started blabbing about cleaning up the mains input to create better audio quality...HUH?

As mentioned, I'm no PHD but does he make any sense after about 4:15 into the video? BTW, he started to flog an "audiophile power regenerator" near the end of this vid. The company he represents is PS Audio and the "power regenerator" series is here: https://www.psaudio.com/product-category/power-regenerators/

Please chime in as I'm interested in what more knowledgeable members know about this, as I feel I'm missing something if people actually purchase this stuff. Maybe there is a market for this regenerator for some other purpose, but I'm only referring to audio equipment.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 05:51:45 pm by GTA »
It's all mind over matter. But if you don't have a mind, then it really doesn't matter.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: WTF??? Is this valid or a scam to part fools from their money?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 05:51:10 pm »
Classic audiophoolery!

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, newbrain, AmnevaR

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 06:51:19 pm »
Wow
Through regeneration, the P15 creates a completely new AC waveform that adds missing energy back onto the power line to correct for serious issues, such as distortion and voltage fluctuations

Well, for $7500 USD I guess you'll convince yourself it's doing something.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 06:56:27 pm »
It is amazing just how dumb and gullible audiophools are.

You don't need to be an EE, but it is not that hard to figure out basic power supply stuff. This is intentional ignorance.

I see how you can argue about nuances of the audio produced by different analog parts, but there is no excuse for $900 mains cables. Especially when they go into a switching power supply in most cases anyway.

If it adds energy back, be careful to avoid any loops in your power supply system, you don't want infinite energy.
Alex

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 07:10:59 pm »
There is no end of silliness in the audiophool world, but that dead horse has been beaten to a pulp. People do all kinds of nutty things, like special high end power receptacles and dedicated circuits with special wire, but I guess they forget about the cheap aluminum cable and standard transformers and gear that runs the many miles from their home to the power company.

I remember reading something somewhere where a guy was talking about the sonic qualities of various bulk filter capacitors placed before a 3 terminal regulator. The placebo effect is real, if you think something will make your audio sound better, it will sound better to you.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline GTATopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 07:21:55 pm »
After seeing some of your replies, I perused the PS Audio website some more, and many of their other products are just that - Audiophoolery. Even their product descriptions are pure marketing wankery, like their PowerPort Classic and Noise Harvester.  :wtf:

Looks like they're trying to give Monster Cable a run for their money  :-DD

Wow...just WOW!!!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 07:28:16 pm by GTA »
It's all mind over matter. But if you don't have a mind, then it really doesn't matter.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 10:21:54 pm »
Well, as the saying goes, a fool and their money are soon parted.

As silly as I think it is, I don't think it's any worse than spending obscene amounts of money on useless rocks (diamonds, etc), or ugly artwork. There are paintings worth millions of dollars that I would not take for free if I was not allowed to sell it.

Offline MikeK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 10:42:10 pm »
It is amazing just how dumb and gullible audiophools are.

Another point of view, however, is that audio magazines have no incentive to disprove the products of their advertisers.

The following users thanked this post: Miti, tooki

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 05:05:02 am »
 :palm:

edit:
One use case is valid, however.

Where I think this can stem from is old amps with very picky PSUs.

Brian May's guitar tech/sound engineer got fed up with trying up connect to local power supply or use inverters that were terrible.. and needed a more dependable solution.

https://youtu.be/jJ_OamX-PA8?t=1728

« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 05:11:42 am by Ed.Kloonk »
iratus parum formica

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 05:58:48 pm »
:palm:

edit:
One use case is valid, however.

Where I think this can stem from is old amps with very picky PSUs.

Brian May's guitar tech/sound engineer got fed up with trying up connect to local power supply or use inverters that were terrible.. and needed a more dependable solution.

https://youtu.be/jJ_OamX-PA8?t=1728

A rock band by the name of AC/DC uses what they call a "kee-KOO-soo" to convert 120V to 230V and keep the AC regulated. Kikusui starts at 9:22

« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 06:04:48 pm by duckduck »

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 07:30:53 pm »
I don't think they know how to bilk these phools to the maximum extent possible. The top-of-the-line PowerPlant 20 power regenerator thingy is only $9,999. Man, I think they could easily get twice or maybe three times that much for it  :-DD

https://www.psaudio.com/products/directstream-power-plant-20/
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 07:49:15 pm »
The isolation transformer can remove ground loop issues, or if some of your AV equipment has a switching power supply with that annoying class Y cap and poor hipot isolation.  I used an isolation transformer to power my old Sony 757 HiFi VHS from ~1989.  It removed a nasty 60Hz humm/buzz sitting at around ~ -82db making the noise floor below -96db, slightly better than the VCR's advertised noise floor.  This was heard clearly and the 60Hz hum was eliminated with that transformer.

I could not use such a transformer on my PC feeding the VCR audio inputs since my isolation transformer was only capable of ~75 watts and my PC was over 300 watts at the time.  There was no point in isolation my amp as it already had an old fashioned linear transformer power supply.  Yes, my RCA cables had heavy-duty thick copper braided shields.

So, yes, if your situation creates such a problem, a 'strategically' placed isolation transformer can solve some specific problems.  If you do not have an audible fundamental multiple of mains entering your signal path due to a limitation in the mixing of audio equipment, an isolation transformer wont do anything for you.

My isolation transformer cost me ~25$ in total.  It was 2 back-back transformers, 120v in to 48v, then a second identical one took the 48v in and gave me back 120v.  They were the old split-bobbin style transformers meaning an extra hipot isolation.  There was no regulation or any filtering.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 08:13:57 pm by BrianHG »

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 08:12:14 pm »
I don't think they know how to bilk these phools to the maximum extent possible. The top-of-the-line PowerPlant 20 power regenerator thingy is only $9,999. Man, I think they could easily get twice or maybe three times that much for it  :-DD

What if the manufacturer of you audio equipment tuned and designed their hardware with their poor, out of spec, normal AC outlet power.  Maybe such perfect power will make things worse.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 09:11:02 pm »

What if the manufacturer of you audio equipment tuned and designed their hardware with their poor, out of spec, normal AC outlet power.  Maybe such perfect power will make things worse.

No Brian, you don't understand what's going on. It will sound better no matter what. It's audiophoolery. It's all in the mind, that's why they don't publish or even attempt to make any objective measurements with instruments (test equipmnent). If you are an audiophool, and you buy this, your brain will believe it sounds $10,000 better than before you had it. How else do you think these people stay in business?
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline GTATopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2021, 09:56:27 pm »
I know of a couple of people I have come across that would go gaga over these products.

I remember sitting in an electronics class in the 80's and the instructor was going off topic to tell a story of how people get sucked into buying audio amplifiers that has a bandwidth "up to 100KHz". Using this story and explaining that "oxygen-free, piezo effect, high thermal nuclear reaction conductors" doesn't make $300 speaker cable sound better to these people. In the end, they will still be enticed to buy this crap based on sales tactics and marketing claims.

So yes. In the end, people believe in the placebo effect.  :-//

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2021, 10:07:20 pm »
I know of a couple of people I have come across that would go gaga over these products.

I remember sitting in an electronics class in the 80's and the instructor was going off topic to tell a story of how people get sucked into buying audio amplifiers that has a bandwidth "up to 100KHz". Using this story and explaining that "oxygen-free, piezo effect, high thermal nuclear reaction conductors" doesn't make $300 speaker cable sound better to these people. In the end, they will still be enticed to buy this crap based on sales tactics and marketing claims.

Read any audiophile review of any product in that category, and check out the phrases they use, like these -

Greater separation and resolution

No glare or grit

An effortless presentation to every recording

an innately natural, unforced sound

no hint of harshness or whatever

Palpable as all get out

What do those phrases mean? Is it common knowledge exactly what they are implying? How do you measure "glare" or "grit". What does an "effortless presentation" look like on the display of an oscilloscope?

It's all bullshit!

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2021, 10:14:24 pm »
What he described as a "power regenerator" looks to be almost as if it were an online UPS unit without batteries - where the output is a PWM generated low distortion sinewave that powers your product. Perhaps the term "regenerator" is common along the audiofolk, I don't know.

Obviously the other topics raised here are valid: a half decent audio system must have a high AC line noise rejection, otherwise you will get all undesired effects; must have a high filter capacitance to hold the DC voltage in power stages; use an isolated power supply to eliminate ground loops, and so on.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2021, 01:10:19 am »

A rock band by the name of AC/DC uses what they call a "kee-KOO-soo" to convert 120V to 230V and keep the AC regulated. Kikusui starts at 9:22

I am going to go out on a limb here.
If you dress like a naughty schoolboy, yet you are one of the meanest guitar players in rock history, who plays at sold-out stadiums, you can indulge in any sort of audio sorcery you desire.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, james_s

Offline Microdoser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2021, 11:03:33 am »
Wait until he finds out mains electric oscillates 50 or 60 times a second and has hundreds of volts difference between the peaks.

Offline M0HZH

• Regular Contributor
    • QRPblog
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2021, 03:48:13 pm »

Actually ... the bandwidth was related to amplifier slew rate and "speed" errors in the past; a "20kHz" amplifier would be more and more inaccurate past a few kHz which would make even 1-2khz sounds sound bad (by damaging the higher harmonics). Sounds are not sinusoids; a sound with a 1kHz fundamental might even take 10kHz of bandwidth or more.

On top of that, mixing different sounds multiplies the necessary bandwidth. Mix a few sounds at 2-3kHz and their first 3 harmonics, you already need many tens of kHz of bandwidth.

The following users thanked this post: SteveyG

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2021, 08:07:12 pm »
What he described as a "power regenerator" looks to be almost as if it were an online UPS unit without batteries - where the output is a PWM generated low distortion sinewave that powers your product. Perhaps the term "regenerator" is common along the audiofolk, I don't know.

That Kikusui thing? Or are you referring to a different "he"?

The Kikusui box looked to me like a programmable AC power source. I have a much older device of a similar concept made by California Instruments. It's essentially a big class B amplifier driven by a sine wave oscillator and feeding an output transformer. It can deliver something like 0-300V at 20Hz to 5kHz at full rated power of 500VA and will go beyond that range derated. Niche thing but very useful in certain applications. Works great for running British and European discharge lamps and control gear from proper 50Hz power.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2021, 09:07:57 pm »

Actually ... the bandwidth was related to amplifier slew rate and "speed" errors in the past; a "20kHz" amplifier would be more and more inaccurate past a few kHz which would make even 1-2khz sounds sound bad (by damaging the higher harmonics). Sounds are not sinusoids; a sound with a 1kHz fundamental might even take 10kHz of bandwidth or more.

On top of that, mixing different sounds multiplies the necessary bandwidth. Mix a few sounds at 2-3kHz and their first 3 harmonics, you already need many tens of kHz of bandwidth.
No, an audio amplifier doesn't need to have any bandwidth beyond 20kHz to sound good. In fact, it's desirable to cut frequencies above 20kHz to reduce interference and protect tweeters.

The slew rate is important, but the full-power bandwidth doesn't need to extend all the way up to 20kHz, because music has a 1f spectrum. In other words, an amplifier capable of an output voltage swing of 10V peak-to-peak, doesn't need to be able to do this at frequencies up to 20kHz, 2kHz is more than enough. Large voltage swings are due to bass, rather than treble.

Offline M0HZH

• Regular Contributor
    • QRPblog
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2021, 12:04:27 pm »

No, an audio amplifier doesn't need to have any bandwidth beyond 20kHz to sound good. In fact, it's desirable to cut frequencies above 20kHz to reduce interference and protect tweeters.

The slew rate is important, but the full-power bandwidth doesn't need to extend all the way up to 20kHz, because music has a 1f spectrum. In other words, an amplifier capable of an output voltage swing of 10V peak-to-peak, doesn't need to be able to do this at frequencies up to 20kHz, 2kHz is more than enough. Large voltage swings are due to bass, rather than treble.

Do agree on some of your comments, but keep in mind the human ear has a non-linear reponse as well. Combine that with 1/f and you'll get a much flatter response up to 4kHz or so.

Also, I was referring to amplifier phase response rather than amplitude. An amp that has good amplitude response up to 20kHz will actually be quite poor over a few kHz in terms of accuracy.

The following users thanked this post: SteveyG

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2021, 12:11:08 pm »

That Kikusui thing? Or are you referring to a different "he"?
It was referring to the original video. I did not watch the other one. 
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2021, 12:25:29 pm »
But but but ...  :rant:

How perfect does it have to be anyway? In most cases the listener wasn't even at the recording or concert, so how do they even know what it's supposed to sound like. You can't say it's a "bad" or "good" reproduction unless you have compared it to the original in-situ recording. Even if it doesn't sound the same, who's to say it isn't enjoyable to listen to - or perhaps even better than the original might have sounded because it isn't exactly the same?

It's all subjective!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf