Author Topic: Wun Hung Lo  (Read 123350 times)

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: Wun Hung Lo
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2015, 11:00:18 pm »
I have to say this, and i mean it with kindness; what kind of life have you lived that has led to you being in a place where you are so intolerant of what people say?

What a bizarre question. If you saw someone being mugged, would you just ignore it because intervention would be intolerance of mugger culture?

I might as well ask why you are so intolerant of what I am saying. Why don't you want me to complain, why censor me? It makes no sense.
For fuck sake, no one's talking about mugging but words!

He means, always think the best of people. Fair enough, if someone says something blatantly racist (i.e. gas all Jews) make it clear to them but if they say a word which could be considered a bit offensive, stop and think about whether they actually intended any offence. In short, try to assume the best of intentions, rather than the worst.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2015, 11:01:08 pm »
Any racism you may think is expressed may only be your perception.

No, it's a historical fact.

Words do not harm, they cannot bruise, maim cut or brake bones, among adults they are harmless.

No blacks
No dogs
No Irish

Harmless?

I have to say this, and i mean it with kindness; what kind of life have you lived that has led to you being in a place where you are so intolerant of what people say?

What a bizarre question. If you saw someone being mugged, would you just ignore it because intervention would be intolerance of mugger culture?

I might as well ask why you are so intolerant of what I am saying. Why don't you want me to complain, why censor me? It makes no sense.

I'll address this and then I am done with you.

First;
I don't ignore people being mugged, I have been mugged myself more than once, and after the second time I empowered myself and sent the next three running. OH and the last one was stupid enough to have his girlfriend with him, he was going to beat up the ugly old woman to show her what kind of a man he was.
When I finally finished beating his face into the sidewalk; the only reason I stopped is because his girlfriend begged me to do so. He and his girlfriend didn't walk away they ran.

In answer to your second question.
I have little patience for those such as yourself who are intolerant of the language others use.
You think it empowers you, no it doesn't it shows a lack of respect for the basic freedom all of us were born with. In a free country this kind of disrespect for freedom of speech is shunned and even occasionally laughed at out loud.

Time to move on; there are more constructive things to discuss.
Perhaps you should meditate on why words effect you the way they do.

May Piece be with you..
You are now on my ignore lise.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Chris C

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2015, 11:02:02 pm »
Recently I told someone he should consider the rating of a product optimistic, because it was Chinese.

And that's not entirely accurate, because pretty much everything is made in China, good and bad alike.

But there was a common and absolute understanding what I meant.  It was because the product was made by a company whose name was meaningless.  It might have been "Sparkletek", or "Samyo" (not Sanyo, though the similarity is intentional).  And the same module might be available from a half-dozen other companies, all too transient to care about quality or any reputation their names might accumulate over time.

Yet some would take offense, because they believe using "Chinese" in this context infers that all Chinese people/products fall under a negative stereotype.  So what to do?

I could describe the product as something so blantantly racist, like "wun hung lo", that any sensible reader would infer that I'm using it to refer only to something that actually meets the stereotype.

I could simply say "Sparkletek is crap", but then meaning is lost.  A reader might believe I've used that exact product, and pick the Samyo instead, or some other similarly crappy product; gaining nothing in the process.

In fact there is nothing I can do, short of regularly typing out the full explanation above, to accurately transmit the meaning that the single word "Chinese" already provides - without offending an overly sensitive few.

But I've got better things to do.  I want to have a beer with my Japanese neighbor, who has a "rice car", and calls it such.  Then later, hopefully eat a Bimbo:

And if that doesn't work out, I guess I'll spend the night banging on my Wang:

Personally, I love the fact that words and phrases have multiple meanings.  If someone gets hung up on one meaning, and is offended by it, that is a deliberate choice on their part.  And is not my problem.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 11:05:09 pm by Chris C »

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2015, 11:12:46 pm »

Personally, I love the fact that words and phrases have multiple meanings.  If someone gets hung up on one meaning, and is offended by it, that is a deliberate choice on their part.  And is not my problem.

Nice Wang! I'd love to have a play with it. ;-)

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2015, 11:16:06 pm »

When I was in College I played with an older Wang all the time. I had a ball..
Sue AF6LJ

Online DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2015, 11:27:16 pm »
I hope we are done...
I'm going to the Zoo.

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2015, 11:42:55 pm »
Then later, hopefully eat a Bimbo:

Here in Canada we have something yummier to eat

Canadian Blend, mind you.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 11:47:32 pm by Bud »
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2015, 11:57:16 pm »
I hope we are done...
I'm going to the Zoo.

Awww
Look at the kitty.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2015, 01:14:25 am »
for(;;);

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2015, 02:09:29 am »

Words do not harm, they cannot bruise, maim cut or brake bones, among adults they are harmless.

No blacks
No dogs
No Irish

Harmless?

First;
I don't ignore people being mugged, I have been mugged myself more than once, and after the second time I empowered myself and sent the next three running. OH and the last one was stupid enough to have his girlfriend with him, he was going to beat up the ugly old woman to show her what kind of a man he was.
When I finally finished beating his face into the sidewalk; the only reason I stopped is because his girlfriend begged me to do so. He and his girlfriend didn't walk away they ran.

I have little patience for those such as yourself who are intolerant of the language others use.
You think it empowers you, no it doesn't it shows a lack of respect for the basic freedom all of us were born with. In a free country this kind of disrespect for freedom of speech is shunned and even occasionally laughed at out loud.

May Piece be with you..

WTF! Why do you call yourself ugly old woman? Please improve that self-esteem!

I'm sure you think yourself about being a lot uglier than you really are. I know it perfectly, it happened to me.

Never underestimate yourself, please. Fuck off those bastards that mine your motivation and destroy your mood! I'm working on it and it's difficult to me, but I'm moving forward at my own pace and weird way ;)

Did you like old wangs in college and played with them? Were you studying at a catholic school?

Where's that ball come from and what happened to it?

You are making me very intrigued!

;)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2015, 02:29:28 am »
Once I heard a word "rice cars", probably a racist calling for Japanese racing cars?

Well here on the west coast I've heard them called rice rockets, and it's a complement.
I never thought of that as being negative.
Then again I have always thought of it in relation to the term used for those Japnise motorcycles that had insane horsepower to weight ratio that would do 170MPH and above.
My grandfather owned a Crotch Rocket that could do 180MPH. It was made for the track but my uncle took it out on I-80 and almost messed his pants when the speedo climbed up to 160 in a heartbeat, He chickened out and came home...

Sounds like my son.  I helped him buy a new motorcycle-Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R.  When I helped him, I asked him to be smart about riding it, even though he has ridden for years and has owned sport bikes in the past.  He confessed to me after about 6 months that he took it out onto I-4 to see what it could do, 165 MPH, still 4K RPM to redline and he said he backed it off and rode the speed limit home.  I love it when my son learns his own lessons without help from me. :-+  By the way, his bike will exceed 200 MPH without doing any of the track mods available for it.  Now that he is a newlywed (1 year next month) he is thinking about trading it for a cruiser to be kinder to his wife.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2015, 02:30:11 am »

No blacks
No dogs
No Irish

Harmless?

First;

May Piece be with you..

I'm sure you think yourself about being a lot uglier than you really are. I know it perfectly, it happened to me.

Never underestimate yourself, please. Fuck off those bastards that mine your motivation and destroy your mood! I'm working on it and it's difficult to me, but I'm moving forward at my own pace and weird way ;)
In all seriousness my self esteem is fine. I am in decent shape for someone who is as old as I am, (old enough to be Dave's mother :) )
The ugly old woman remark was in reference to something the last attacker said before I decided it was time to really hurt him.

Did you like old wangs in college and played with them? Were you studying at a catholic school?

;)
Never went to a privite school, the Old Wang was a Wang 2200 that shared a disk unit and a printer with several other old Wang 2200s. Cool machine all discreet TTL chips and it ran Wang Basic, each unit had it's own tape drive. Not bad for a machine out of 1974.

The college had them up for sale back in 1995, I thought about buying one just for grins and giggles but they wanted over $1200.00 a piece for them. Forget That. When I am in the mood there is a working Kpro-484 in the garage. It is not a Wang; but you know what they say......
;)
Sue AF6LJ

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2015, 02:34:16 am »
Once I heard a word "rice cars", probably a racist calling for Japanese racing cars?

Well here on the west coast I've heard them called rice rockets, and it's a complement.
I never thought of that as being negative.
Then again I have always thought of it in relation to the term used for those Japnise motorcycles that had insane horsepower to weight ratio that would do 170MPH and above.
My grandfather owned a Crotch Rocket that could do 180MPH. It was made for the track but my uncle took it out on I-80 and almost messed his pants when the speedo climbed up to 160 in a heartbeat, He chickened out and came home...

Sounds like my son.  I helped him buy a new motorcycle-Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R.  When I helped him, I asked him to be smart about riding it, even though he has ridden for years and has owned sport bikes in the past.  He confessed to me after about 6 months that he took it out onto I-4 to see what it could do, 165 MPH, still 4K RPM to redline and he said he backed it off and rode the speed limit home.  I love it when my son learns his own lessons without help from me. :-+  By the way, his bike will exceed 200 MPH without doing any of the track mods available for it.  Now that he is a newlywed (1 year next month) he is thinking about trading it for a cruiser to be kinder to his wife.
I have friends who still ride, even around my age, I always worry a little; they have good judgment it's the idiot drivers doing stupid things that worry me. Just tell your son to not sell that bike to any of his friends, that way if the next owner does something stupid on it and has to pay the price he will be guilt free and still have all his friends.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2015, 03:07:41 am »

No blacks
No dogs
No Irish

Harmless?

First;

May Piece be with you..

In all seriousness my self esteem is fine. I am in decent shape for someone who is as old as I am, (old enough to be Dave's mother :) )
The ugly old woman remark was in reference to something the last attacker said before I decided it was time to really hurt him.

Of great! I'm very happy to know it! I'm still not as lucky in that shit long story.

;)
Never went to a privite school, the Old Wang was a Wang 2200 that shared a disk unit and a printer with several other old Wang 2200s. Cool machine all discreet TTL chips and it ran Wang Basic, each unit had it's own tape drive. Not bad for a machine out of 1974.

The college had them up for sale back in 1995, I thought about buying one just for grins and giggles but they wanabout ver $1200.00 a piece for them. Forget That. When I am in the mood there is a working Kpro-484 in the garage. It is not a Wang; but you know what they say......
;)

I just made a stupid twisted joke about catholic priests in schools and such shit. It's unfortunately quite common, so it's widely used dark humor.

Kaypro? From the DMM  inventor? Is that an improved Kaypro 4? Amazing! I'm totally insanely obsessed with retrocomputing at even participating at expositions, despite being even younger than Dave. I'm a vintage lover by all means too (and a BTTF, Tron... fanboy too), old movies and music too.

I'm bored about the anxious masculinity in technology, it makes me puke and get into an aggressing bullying testosterone environment most of the time. I'm also not a neurotypical guy and have a weird soft personality, despite my rude look and movements.

It's pathetic in classrooms, really. I wish there were more women in this field. I'm sure you are a very strong hardcore geek warrior, someone to be proud to know and a great role model!

Show photos of your Kaypro 484, please! I would kill to use and play with one of these machines!

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2015, 04:30:47 am »

No blacks
No dogs
No Irish

Harmless?

First;

May Piece be with you..

Of great! I'm very happy to know it! I'm still not as lucky in that shit long story.

;)

The college had them up for sale back in 1995, I thought about buying one just for grins and giggles but they wanabout ver $1200.00 a piece for them. Forget That. When I am in the mood there is a working Kpro-484 in the garage. It is not a Wang; but you know what they say......
;)

I just made a stupid twisted joke about catholic priests in schools and such shit. It's unfortunately quite common, so it's widely used dark humor.

Kaypro? From the DMM  inventor? Is that an improved Kaypro 4? Amazing! I'm totally insanely obsessed with retrocomputing at even participating at expositions, despite being even younger than Dave. I'm a vintage lover by all means too (and a BTTF, Tron... fanboy too), old movies and music too.

I'm bored about the anxious masculinity in technology, it makes me puke and get into an aggressing bullying testosterone environment most of the time. I'm also not a neurotypical guy and have a weird soft personality, despite my rude look and movements.

It's pathetic in classrooms, really. I wish there were more women in this field. I'm sure you are a very strong hardcore geek warrior, someone to be proud to know and a great role model!

Show photos of your Kaypro 484, please! I would kill to use and play with one of these machines!

Actually the Kpro-484 belongs to my roommate She has a bunch of stuff piled on top of it right now.
That's not a bad idea, dig it out and do a teardown, It would be the second time that machine has let its unseen parts out into the light of day. :)

I have always been the unhappy Bi*ch in school, I had only made a few friends.
I have one friend from that period of time, I don't do relationships, they always end up turning bad. So after the first no more, I like my independence. :)

Life is too short to get all wrapped up with someone who ends up wanting to change you, control your life and gets all Co-Dependent on you.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2015, 06:06:09 am »
"Rice" is a reference to the stereotype that Japanese people live on rice. Historically it has been used as a racist insult.

That's not PC, is just plain racist.

Mojo, if you can't stand the heat keep out of this thread. I'll monitor it thank you and decide what is appropriate or not!  :popcorn:

As for the quality of chinese products it is dictated by one thing: what we want to pay for it and what the importer expects to pay for it. Until china man up and say no to crap and get some self respect they will always produce garbadge when asked to or when they think it is acceptable. most of tyhe high quaity goods you paid good momey for will have been made in china, but they were made for the right price.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2015, 06:37:15 am »
Mojo, the Japanese, and Asia as a whole, do eat and produce a metric shit ton of rice. That's one of reasons stomach cancer is much more common in Asian countries. There's a difference between a stereotype and a fact about a culture.

To be a stereotype it has to be derogatory. There's nothing inherently wrong with rice being a staple of your diet. (Which is why I've never understood the "black people and watermelons/fried chicken" thing; both are delicious foods.)

Besides, saying "ricer" is actually a homophobic slur. How? Well, everybody knows that Rice-A-Roni is the San Francisco treat. Besides street trollies and the cast of Full House, what else is San Fran famous for? That's right, gays. (Fun Fact: The SF city seal is a pink triangle on a rainbow flag, with a bear wearing leather and a red ball gag.)

QED.

Sent from my Tablet
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2015, 08:11:01 am »

Online DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2015, 08:20:34 am »
"you lot"  as in "you people" as in "your kind"?
Yeah...funny how that works....
Are you stereotyping professions now ?

Geez, I wish this thread would get locked and the key lost.

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2015, 08:50:59 am »
It's kind of incredible how you lot manage to so consistently miss the point. It seems to be something about engineers, always looking for some kind of narrow logic while not seeing the obvious wider picture that everyone else.

Mojo, sorry mate, you usually have some pretty good input on this forum but I think this topic seems to press a few buttons with you. I get it, you see certain terms as racist. At the end of the day, certain words and terms are offensive to certain people. What you might find racist or offensive, I might not. Who's to say your opinion is more correct than mine (or vice versa)?

It's all subjective and no one is the authority on this. I have friends who are gay who get called all the names under the sun, are they offended? Not usually no. Does it make it "right" no, of course it doesn't, but to them those terms aren't offensive (especially since they use it themselves). The best we can do is find middle-ground in that we are who we are and if we hurt someone's feelings we apologise and be human about it. It's a bit like saying "shit" or "fuck", not the best choice of words, but not necessarily offensive to all hearing it.

I'm sure we can all be grown ups and respect each others opinions, no matter what you might think personally.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 08:53:00 am by Halcyon »

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2015, 09:49:48 am »
Mojo, sorry mate, you usually have some pretty good input on this forum but I think this topic seems to press a few buttons with you.

To the point of him being temporarily banned for it (as well as reported by many for it), and then he asked to have all his posts removed because he'd have enough.
Someone even posted a thread polling if he should be banned or not.
He revels in this stuff and will not let up on the topic.
This thread will only go downhill, I'm sure of it, someone give me a good reason why it shouldn't be locked?

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2015, 10:00:41 am »
This thread will only go downhill, I'm sure of it, someone give me a good reason why it shouldn't be locked?

Nope, lock it. It has been done before. I'm not accusing anyone in particular, but it's just one of those touchy subjects that should remain private I think. Very few can actually be constructive with such things in my opinion. Back to the geek speak... by the way, 21st October 2015 nears *excited*

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2015, 10:14:17 am »
Back to the geek speak... by the way, 21st October 2015 nears *excited*

I tried to book an huge cinema for the trilogy marathon, but Universal have vetoed the titles for the entire month of October. Exclusive deal with Hoyts  >:(

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2015, 10:21:57 am »
Back to the geek speak... by the way, 21st October 2015 nears *excited*

I tried to book an huge cinema for the trilogy marathon, but Universal have vetoed the titles for the entire month of October. Exclusive deal with Hoyts  >:(

Check your PM's. ;-)  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 10:31:37 am by Halcyon »

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2015, 10:36:56 am »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf