Author Topic: Wun Hung Lo  (Read 92198 times)

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
Re: Wun Hung Lo
« Reply #325 on: September 13, 2015, 08:36:32 pm »
Won't stay that way if Religion is discussed OR Politics, both recipies for disaster.
+1
But forget about sports, been there done that, a disaster on a forum if you have users from opposite teams, gets real nasty quick.  :palm:

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #326 on: September 13, 2015, 08:37:40 pm »
Sue AF6LJ
Test Equipment Addict, And Proud Of It.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #327 on: September 13, 2015, 08:46:23 pm »
Won't stay that way if Religion is discussed OR Politics, both recipies for disaster.
+1
But forget about sports, been there done that, a disaster on a forum if you have users from opposite teams, gets real nasty quick.  :palm:

oposite teams, hm... no comment  :popcorn:

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #328 on: September 13, 2015, 09:14:11 pm »
One's belief in anything science, atheism or any given god is a religion. The belief in mathematics's ability to explain all of the world around us is a religion, the same with belief in one's self.

The operative word is Belief.

The difference is in the basis for belief. In science beliefs change when evidence indicates that beliefs should. The most important statement a scientist can make is "I don't know". In religion beliefs become doctrine and holding fast to doctrine becomes really important. Questioning doctrine and trying to change it is called heresy.
I'm not an EE--what am I doing here?

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
-10 a
« Reply #329 on: September 13, 2015, 10:05:16 pm »
One's belief in anything science, atheism or any given god is a religion. The belief in mathematics's ability to explain all of the world around us is a religion, the same with belief in one's self.

The operative word is Belief.

The difference is in the basis for belief. In science beliefs change when evidence indicates that beliefs should. The most important statement a scientist can make is "I don't know". In religion beliefs become doctrine and holding fast to doctrine becomes really important. Questioning doctrine and trying to change it is called heresy.
To borrow an old phase "Where the Rubber Meets the Road" the human element has an effect on both.
Often in science it is what you don't look for that is as important as what you looked for. in religion interpretation is the same element of chance.

The early Chorlestorl drugs worked by blocking a chemical that was used in the formation of Cholesterol The problem is the same chemical was used in the formation of co-enzyme Q-10 an essential nutrient for the maintenance of cells. Those statin drugs caused more problems than they "cured". come to find out that dietary cholesterol doesn't directly effect cholesterol in the first place.

Science is only as good as the people who do the science.
Religion is only as good as the honesty of the people preaching the religion.

The human element in both is the problem, but we have to live with it.

A very smart man once told me, "what you believe doesn't matter, it's what the people who control your life believe that really matters."...

If the people that make the laws here in California believe that when you die your soul goes into the oil drip pan in a garage in East LA; they are going to act accordingly, and it will effect me. It pays to know what your leaders believe, God help you if they believe they are superior to you.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #330 on: September 14, 2015, 07:44:49 am »
I believe that this thread, while still staying very civil, is getting too close to locking territory.
It was fun while it lasted.
Same here, I enjoy reading it, and I appreciate the civil conduct.  Mentioning religion tends to push the wrong buttons with Management.

The new goal is now to be the last poster before this tread gets locked.
It can't contain insults, no spam, nothing implicit against the rules, no harrasment, but in any way or another has to trigger the LOCK button.

(For the ones who are still not ready to get unplugged: this is a joke)
(for the mods and admin: do not trigger the BAN button)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 07:48:05 am by Galenbo »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #331 on: September 14, 2015, 07:47:21 am »
I believe that this thread, while still staying very civil, is getting too close to locking territory.
It was fun while it lasted.
Same here, I enjoy reading it, and I appreciate the civil conduct.  Mentioning religion tends to push the wrong buttons with Management.

It can't contain insults, no spam, nothing implicit against the rules, no harrasment, but in any way or another has to trigger the LOCK button.

(For the ones who are still not ready to get unplugged: this is a joke)
:-DD

We'll follow your lead.  ;)
 :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
Re: -10 a
« Reply #332 on: September 14, 2015, 07:55:12 am »

I'd disagree. I'd say science is only as good as the people who do the science are honest. Religion is only as good as the ability of the followers to ignore it.

If the preachers were honest and really believed what they claim to not a single religion would have a group as tolerant as the Westboro Baptist Church. Well apart from maybe Jainism. Every other religion, including political ideologies, has it's fanatics that will happily kill for and as a direct result of their beliefs.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #333 on: September 14, 2015, 11:30:22 am »

Me me
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #334 on: September 14, 2015, 11:31:01 am »
People will always find somethig to fight and argue over. One way or the other.

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #335 on: September 14, 2015, 11:35:35 am »
I like pie.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Super Contributor
  • NW0LF
« Reply #336 on: September 14, 2015, 11:39:00 am »
I like pie, too but SWMBO hates pie.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #337 on: September 14, 2015, 11:41:10 am »
I HATE pie - it is too irrational
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #338 on: September 14, 2015, 11:54:54 am »

Oh no we won't

Offline GNU_Ninja

• Regular Contributor
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #339 on: September 14, 2015, 12:04:42 pm »
I like pie.

I prefer Tau. http://tauday.com/ ... Let the flame war commence  ;)

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
Re: -10 a
« Reply #340 on: September 14, 2015, 01:22:44 pm »

I'd disagree. I'd say science is only as good as the people who do the science are honest. Religion is only as good as the ability of the followers to ignore it.

If the preachers were honest and really believed what they claim to not a single religion would have a group as tolerant as the Westboro Baptist Church. Well apart from maybe Jainism. Every other religion, including political ideologies, has it's fanatics that will happily kill for and as a direct result of their beliefs.

I think we are close enough to saying the same thing.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #341 on: September 14, 2015, 01:45:58 pm »

Oh no we won't

Pardon me, but is this a 5 minute argument or the full half hour?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #342 on: September 14, 2015, 05:28:45 pm »
No, more the 30 second shouting match at the "other eedjit" in the other car as he/she/they/it passes doing something that you disagree with.

Can be cathartic, but often just leads to frustration, and to the going all Harry Potter and the Unnamed One Who No Longer Is Here style of actions.

Although as they say about calcium carbonate, lithic formations, lignin and low amplitude vibration, nothing comes from it. It merely serves to pass the time between the first moment where there is a concept of self and the last coherent concept of self.

Ans, as it is a new Year, if you are of that faith, we should all look forward to a good year ahead and put the past behind us, and learn a sound lesson from both our mistakes and those who also made them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf