Author Topic: Xmas time: What gift should I ask Santa Claus for?  (Read 1117 times)

Offline BicuricoTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
Xmas time: What gift should I ask Santa Claus for?
« on: November 30, 2023, 09:38:40 am »
Hi,

Here comes another shameful topic of a person with first world problems. I know, I know, and I feel slightly bad about it. But let's move on.

Life should not be just about work, commitments, taxes, paying back mortgages, etc.

Once in a while you deserve some fun and my Xmas present arrangement with my wife is that we get a given budget to spend (depending on how good the year was) and each one picks whatever present we want. This way we neither must spend a hard time imagining what the other wants nor do we buy the wrong thing, version or size. Might be stupid, might be less romantic, who cares. Works for us.

So, coming to the question: This year I have a budget of 300 Euro (sucks, but we are in crisis here in Portugal) and I wonder, what to get?

Problem is I already have more than I need (I am a TEA with some ramifications into consoles, emulators, HAM, ...) and what I don't already have is usually far too expensive.

My candidates so far are:

1) Meta Quest 2 with 128GB: available in Spain (100km drive) for 299 Euro.

Pros:
-   Entry into VR (never used it, only tested this exact model a few months ago with an industrial custom app made in Unity, which was kind of mind blowing - I almost fell forward to the floor).
-   Can play games autonomously (but I think those games suck and cost quite some money – I am not a big gamer, despite owning most of the consoles – mainly for the fun of jailbreaking them)
-   Can play games on the PC (I would love to play GTA V with VR, but it seems it requires quite some modding, which I am not sure will work with current versions)
-   Would be a real motivation to learn Unity: I started the training courses offered for free (which is mind blowing good), but the learning curve is steep, even for 2D platformers. I would like to create some engineering applications to visualize CAD/CAM space with VR. However, I believe I won’t ever get any result, because I am 53 and there is too much to learn and my interest will probably die out before getting anything up and running
-   Apparently can be used with Google Earth to see the whole world from VR perspective. This alone seems great, if not to just visit the places I travel to beforehand, so that I am familiar with the location.
-   I don’t own a MS Flight Simulator license, but eventually that could be a killer app for VR, but I am not sure if it is compatible. This would combine flight simulation with the last point and probably result in a great experience.
-   Saw Eurotruck Simulator on YouTube with VR (not sure that’s the name of the game). Again, I think the immersion must be close to mind blowing.
-   When travelling, the Meta Quest 2 adds little volume/weigh on stuff to take along, but would allow to kill time (airport, at night alone in the hotel), for example to watch movies in a big virtual screen.

Cons:
-   I am not sure if the thrill won’t last just a few days and then I stop using it:
o   Games are boring.
o   Headset is uncomfortable.
o   Batteries don’t last long enough.
o   …
-   I am, honestly, afraid of ill side effects on my eyes: I suffer from glaucoma (treated and controlled, no sight loss – but requires daily medication and appointment every 6 month). Apparently, the effects include dry eye syndrome, tired sight, etc.
-   Unity is probably a too big a project for me to learn, mainly because I could only spend like 1-2 hours a day (maximum, not guaranteed).
-   Further costly addons might be required: long USB-3 cable of high quality, better head strap, prescription lenses, headphones, battery pack, carry case, …
So, all in all, I am not 100% sure about this one.

2) Flipper Zero: would cost 200-250 Euro, depending on the included accessories (silicon case, WIFI board)

Pros:
-   Seems to be a nice gadget to play with and to carry around all the time (which is an important factor, because I have little continuous free time, but frequent shorter waiting times).
-   Can be used to try out a few hacks and tests, which I don’t have adequate equipment already (I do have HackRF One, Portapack, TinySA, Baofeng, NanoVNA, Adalm Pluto, etc., including a Xiaomi Redmi Note 11 Pro smartphone with IR).

Cons:
-   I can already carry out most/all(?) attacks anyway (but not with one single small device).
-   Seems expensive for what it does.
-   I will probably lose interest quickly.

Unfortunately, at this point nothing else comes to my mind.
Any suggestions for tech gear up to 300 Euro?
Any comments on either the Meta Quest 2 or the Flipper Zero?

Thanks for reading this far.

Also, would be interesting to know, if I am the only one with this kind of reasoning regarding “Xmas presents” and what you guys are getting.
By the way, last year I got myself a Tiny SA Ultra (pretty OK, especially considering the price), the year before that a Nintendo Switch (I dislike it a lot, because I thought you could use it as a tablet or at least as a browser, which you cannot, and games are ridiculously expensive). The year before that I got a PS4 (to play Red Dead Redemption II, which was mind blowing for how detailed the landscape is).

Regards,
Vitor

Offline Dan123456

• Regular Contributor
Re: Xmas time: What gift should I ask Santa Claus for?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2023, 10:14:35 am »
Hmmm that is a tough one mate!

Do you know anyone that has a Quest 2 (or other VR headset) you could borrow for a day or two? I thinking it might be worth doing a proper gaming session (if you haven’t already) with one before deciding if you want one  :)

It would absolutely suck to get one only to find out it makes you horrendously motion sick after only 10 minutes or something!

I would personally probably go the flipper zero. However, it sounds like you already have quite a few similar tools so might not be the best option for you either!

Just wondering, have you ever tried lockpicking? If you are looking for other options, you can pick up a really nice set of picks for $100 or so :) That might sound super sus but it is a really fun hobby that you can do while watching TV or chilling out while also scratching the puzzle solving part of your brain at the same time  :) Just check your countries laws first as know some places are really touchy about them  :)

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2023, 10:17:12 am »
I'm getting theater tickets for Christmas with my family.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2023, 12:30:14 pm »
@Dan123456: I subscribed the LockPickingLawyer some years ago and of course got myself a rather cheap kit. Managed to open a few locks, which I thought I should not be able to open (all mine, of course). It put lock security into a new perspective. However I am not so keen in investing more money in this, especialy not into Covert Instruments products. But, for those wondering, here is an example of what you might wish for Xmas: https://covertinstruments.com/products/learn-lockpicking-bundle

@tszaboo: We are going out already and the present thing is a completely separate deal.

@All: Are some further ideas on nice gadgets? Is there some good feedback on the Meta Quest 2, especially from non-gamers? Any opinion on  the Flipper Zero (reason tells me not to spend money on this one, but I have caught myself flirting with the idea of getting one - just because...)

The following users thanked this post: Dan123456

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2023, 12:37:54 pm »
By the way, here is an idea for those cheap bastards, who want to offer a nice nerdish gift for less than 20 Euro: buy a Quansheng UV-K5/K5(8)/K6 "Portable Multi-Band Transciever". This can be hacked with a modified firmware and has a rather good FM radio recption, can demodulate AM/FM (including air band) and you can remove the TX feature for those that are not licensed hams. The hack includes a spectrum analyzer function!

Take a look here:
https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/1005005747378093.html <-- This is the one I bought, but meanwhile I saw cheaper offers!
https://github.com/Tunas1337/UV-K5-Modded-Firmwares
https://whosmatt.github.io/uvmod/

EDIT: Make sure you buy the separate programming cable!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 12:40:40 pm by Bicurico »

Offline lezginka_kabardinka

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2023, 06:26:35 pm »
Ask Santa for his address, so that you can repay him all his kindness over the years; think of poor Santa worked to death, and then consider HE may enjoy something :)

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2023, 07:00:17 pm »
think of poor Santa
The geriatric old fart deserves everything he gets as he forgot me ******* bike

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline lezginka_kabardinka

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2023, 01:12:10 am »
think of poor Santa

hah! With that attitude, I think I'd "forget" your gifts too! ;) :P :P

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2023, 01:29:53 am »
think of poor Santa
:-DD
Yep from Aussie Rodney Rude:
Santa you ****, where’s my ******* bike !  :D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Dan123456

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2023, 02:48:33 am »
Yep from Aussie Rodney Rude:
Almost,its by australia's finest poet,Mr Kevin B Wilson.His  chrismas lp (kev's  Kristmas album) is a great antidote to the usual festive rubbish  ,but it does contain lots of rude words.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Dan123456

Offline Infraviolet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2023, 02:56:11 am »
Between the two items listed:

The flipper could be useful, I've heard good things about them being very capable devices... although most of the thngs it does can be done with a typical microcontroller and an appropriate choice of sensors on a task by task basis (fit an MCU with an RFID reader, or an IR photodiode...)

The Meta manufactured VR set sounds a bad idea, given the behaviours of that company and how everything is tied in to Facebook I imagine it ends up as a very walled garden, which might suddenly be turned in to a useless pile of scrap if Meta chooses to close down some specific set of servers.

Between those two, and personally I'd be more inclined to just buy loads of different sorts of extra components, I'd definitely pick the Flipper.

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2023, 08:12:55 am »
Update: I am getting both! Good behaviour and a loving wife.

Plus I ordered a Proxmark3 clone from AliExpress.

Ho ho ho...

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2023, 08:54:31 am »
Expresso machine?   
Ya might not be able to get a good automatic one for that price but you could get a decent manual/press one. Like Flair Signature or ROK.
Assuming you like good coffee and enjoy trying new beans etc..

Hack RF / SDR

Saleae logic analyzer

Power tools

LED strip lighting so you can kit out your house with tintable recessed room lighting.  Probably want to do some research here, lots of junk available.

3D printer

EDIT: ops I was too late, I see you already made the call.

Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2023, 09:22:56 am »
the three d prnter is good when its snowing or too cold in a regular shop and can make winter suck less

also if you actually make models that is good corporate stuff to know

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2023, 09:27:20 am »
@PSI: I already own most of your suggestions:

- HackRF One + Portapack: great device!
- Saleae Logic Analyzer: I have a cheap chinese clone (shame on me), but I guess i used it only once or twice. Nice to have, though, because the day will come you need to decode some I2C communication
- LED strip: not my thing, plus the chinese ones come with very questionable PSU
- 3D Printer: I don't own one! Why? Because I work at a company that sells industrial grade ones. When I need a part, I just ask my colleague to print it for me. Perfect result, zero work, plus often my part can act as a showcase - everybody wins. This kind of rules out that I spend money and time tinkering on a cheap chinese model, that will produce some questionable results.

I don't drink coffee, so the expresso machine is a non-starter...

@coppercone2: See my comments about 3D printer. I would, under different circumstances, own one, of course!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf