Author Topic: PCB Manufacturer Advice  (Read 5863 times)

Offline PhaedrusTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
PCB Manufacturer Advice
« on: July 24, 2014, 05:43:50 pm »
We need to make a 1-off board for an internal ATE, and I'm having trouble finding a US-based PCB manufacturer that can meet our needs, deals in single unit quantities, and is reasonably priced (not expecting cheap, just reasonable).

The board is about 12"x9", 2mm (+/-0.2mm) FR-4 substrate, 1.5oz copper, 2-layer. About 100 holes, 350 pins. There are a number of heavy power traces which will require solder hatching on top of them to increase thermal and current capacity. Also, the solder must be 60/40 or 63/37, as it will be hand-assembled and serviced and doesn't need to meet RoHS. There's nothing particularly fine pitched, everything is thru-hole, SOIC, 0805, and SOT-23.

Does anyone know of a good PCB manufacturer that can make a board like this for a reasonable price?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 06:20:33 pm by Phaedrus »
"More quotes have been misattributed to Albert Einstein than to any other famous person."
- Albert Einstein

Offline Prime73

• Regular Contributor
Re: PCB Manufacturer Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 06:11:44 pm »
I would just make it myself. for this this size I think it would be cheaper.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 06:19:52 pm »
Maybe, but we're not set up to make PCBs. I don't have any photo lithography equipment or a precision drill.

EDIT: 555th post! Guess I need to buy the T-shirt when I get home.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 06:26:50 pm by Phaedrus »
"More quotes have been misattributed to Albert Einstein than to any other famous person."
- Albert Einstein

Offline djacobow

• Super Contributor
  • takin' it apart since the 70's
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 06:27:34 pm »
I just had a quote from Seeed for a 14" x 5.5", HASL board for $110 for 5. That was 1 oz, 1.6mm, but otherwise similar. For the power traces, I think you would just leave the solder mask off and then gob on plenty of solder, or maybe even overlay a wire yourself?

I have a feeling increasing the thickness of the board and the copper won't nearly double the price.

What do you consider a reasonable price?

We need to make a 1-off board for an internal ATE, and I'm having trouble finding a US-based PCB manufacturer that can meet our needs, deals in single unit quantities, and is reasonably priced (not expecting cheap, just reasonable).

The board is about 12"x9", 2mm (+/-0.2mm) FR-4 substrate, 1.5oz copper, 2-layer. About 100 holes, 350 pins. There are a number of heavy power traces which will require solder hatching on top of them to increase thermal and current capacity. Also, the solder must be 60/40 or 63/37, as it will be hand-assembled and serviced and doesn't need to meet RoHS. There's nothing particularly fine pitched, everything is thru-hole, SOIC, 0805, and SOT-23.

Does anyone know of a good PCB manufacturer that can make a board like this for a reasonable price?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 06:29:39 pm »
I was thinking $120 would be reasonable. Anything over $150 would definitely be a no-go. I'll check out Seeed
- Albert Einstein

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 07:04:00 pm »
Seeed only goes up to 200x300mm. Mine is 200x305mm.  :-DD I can probably tweak the layout a bit to shave that last 5mm... But it looks like minimum quantity is 5 boards. I could maybe find a use for 1 or 2 extras, but I don't need 5.
- Albert Einstein

Offline TheBorg

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hoping to start an EE degree soon...
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 08:54:15 pm »
Seeed only goes up to 200x300mm. Mine is 200x305mm.  :-DD I can probably tweak the layout a bit to shave that last 5mm... But it looks like minimum quantity is 5 boards. I could maybe find a use for 1 or 2 extras, but I don't need 5.

I think they use the same board house as iTead, right?
I once had a board that was 5mm off from my price bracket, I messaged them and they said it was ok to send through. Ask them if they can manage the extra 5mm.
Youtube Channel - Assimilated Circuits
We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Offline djacobow

• Super Contributor
  • takin' it apart since the 70's
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 09:01:20 pm »

Use their customer service to email them. They will work with you on larger sizes, just not through the web gui. Seeed is building my board that is outside that range. I exchanged email with a guy named Raymond.

-- dave j

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 09:17:48 pm »
Did you search on http://pcbshopper.com ?

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 09:52:41 pm »
All shops have a min. qty... If you need one, just order 5 and throw out the rest
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 10:47:43 pm »
Did you search on http://pcbshopper.com ?

Doesn't let me including FR-4 and copper thickness. It's ok, I've gotten quotes from a half dozen places now, narrowed it down to two I think. Just waiting to see what Seeed and a couple others get back to me with.
- Albert Einstein

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 09:25:52 pm »
All shops have a min. qty... If you need one, just order 5 and throw out the rest
My idea exactly. I while ago I ordered a very small board from Seeed. They send me 10 instead of 5 even though I only needed one. At small quantities the setup costs dominate.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf