Author Topic: FranLab is getting evicted  (Read 251151 times)

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: FranLab is getting evicted
« Reply #225 on: October 20, 2018, 02:36:24 am »
Is she able to accept Paypal or Bitcoin?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #226 on: October 20, 2018, 05:37:01 am »
She has already exceeded her 10k goal in 13 hours.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #227 on: October 20, 2018, 11:04:20 am »
She has already exceeded her 10k goal in 13 hours.
Which is roughly 5% of the time that EEVBlog forum wrung hands and tossed opinions about it... ;)

The following users thanked this post: PointyOintment, nugglix, julianhigginson

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #228 on: October 22, 2018, 12:23:50 am »
And now over $20K in just 2 days! :)

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #229 on: October 22, 2018, 12:48:26 am »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #230 on: October 22, 2018, 03:11:08 am »
Thats great. I hope she can get enough to find a good new space with room for her equipment.

Philly, with its gentrification, is still nowhere near as bad as SF or NYC!
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #231 on: October 22, 2018, 04:06:05 am »
I'm still creaming at the screen to let us help crowd source a place!
99% of the recommendations might be not suitable, but all it takes is that one gem of a place to make it all worthwile.
Finding a new place to uproot your life too must be very difficult, it's not like she it just moving a lab, it's her home as well.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #232 on: October 22, 2018, 04:19:27 am »
In two days Fran has raised over $21 thousand of her $10 thousand goal on Gofundme.
In an update video she said her landlord is helping to pay for moving, and the donation $$$ will go for a down payment on rent-to-buy in her new place.

Ref:  https://www.gofundme.com/franlab-needs-a-new-home

https://youtu.be/RDO-lZfi_UE

The following users thanked this post: boB, PointyOintment

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #233 on: October 22, 2018, 05:06:34 am »
I'm still creaming at the screen

Too much detail Dave,  we already know you have a thing for the vintage test equipment, even if it is in the background!!

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, PointyOintment

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #234 on: October 23, 2018, 02:59:45 am »
Thats great but - Fran if you read this, please try to raise more money. $20k may seem like a lot but - trust me, it isn't in any urban context. You should try to have this next move be a permanent one, i.e. try to buy a place to work and live if possible. Otherwise its not at all unlikely you'll find yourself in the same position again and all this is going to get old fast.

Some urban areas change so quickly you go away for a few years and when you come back you almost don't recognize it. The funky livable areas become popular and trendy and thats what kills them. All that oppressive trendy-ness makes it too popular which ruins everything, and of course its soon too expensive for the people who made it happen in the first place and they flee.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 03:13:58 am by cdev »

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #235 on: October 23, 2018, 03:08:19 am »
In her latest update video, Fran reveals that she doesn't qualify for a mortgage for the very reasons @cdev reviewed. She (and millions of people) are condemned to be life-long renters because of their economic status.  :(

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #236 on: October 23, 2018, 03:30:50 am »
I had edited my post so let me recap them.. landlords 1.) want prospective renters to have perfect credit, as in have established credit, not just (like me) credit averse people who won't/ never buy things on credit. Many current city dwellers lack the credit history of suburbanites with their car and home loans, so right there they are at a huge disadvantage.

2.) Income - So they want people be not just employed and have an income, they want to see you employed with some well established firm and making at least 3 times the monthly rent, or have collateral that can be put up as security or

3) a co-signer, (who is often some rich young person's parents who assume the risk)

Also I had been told that now many people are broadly hinted that substantial bribes to the real estate agent will get them first crack at apartments that five or ten people with perfect credit and checkbooks at the ready all want.

All this works against most of us.

When I lived in San Francisco some people did a study and they concluded that something like 95% of the residents of San Francisco at that time could not afford to re-rent in the city if they lost their apartments and had to find another. (They also found that many older people who lost their rented homes ended up on the streets and soon 'were lost to follow up' as doctors writing medical papers put it. Vanished, in many cases died or were forced to move to places unknown. No forwarding address.. stuff put out on the sidewalk.)

I don't know how many of you live in the Bay Area but if you do and ride Cal Train you will notice that all along the railroad right of way there are countless homeless people living in corners and under highway overpasses, any place that affords even the slightest amount of shelter. Many, perhaps most of those people used to have normal lives. But something happened, somebody decided to buy and flip their building, is a common story, and poof.

That could be any of us.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 03:33:43 am by cdev »

The following users thanked this post: RandallMcRee

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #237 on: October 23, 2018, 03:46:41 am »
You don't have to be in the bay area to see homeless people. Almost anywhere in california is like that right now.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #238 on: October 23, 2018, 04:06:37 am »
Back in the pre-gentrification San Francisco, there was a fair amount of very inexpensive housing that people were living in very creatively.

Housing is crucial to having a creative community.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 05:57:13 pm by cdev »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #239 on: October 23, 2018, 11:46:48 am »
I've never been to Philly and don't know it, but a quick search for >2000sqft places for rent under $1k/month found 84 places.
Are these dodgy areas?

Offline stevelup

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #240 on: October 23, 2018, 12:19:16 pm »
To put that into perspective, the current UK commercial rental on light industrial/office space in a business park in a so-so location is around the £70/sqft/annum mark - that's advertised asking price one might negotiate some discount.

I can't reconcile your numbers... We have 3750 square feet in Theale near Reading. This is a < 10 year old office/warehouse on a high-tech business park in a fully landscaped location with gigabit internet etc.

Your £70/sqft/annum figure is almost an order of magnitude higher than we're paying!

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 12:23:56 pm by stevelup »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #241 on: October 23, 2018, 01:20:43 pm »

If somebody is willing to live in an area thats not so trendy, deals are still out there.

What some of us are dealing with is the situation you can see laid out on sites like worstroom.com - the situation for residential spaces in places like SF, NYC and maybe a few others, where costs are sky high.  (and I use that term "residential" in a bit of an inappropriate way, as you will see if you look at it.)

Whats best is if you can live close enough to the city (whichever one it is) to get there by reliable, fast, public transportation in a short enough time to work there, without having to pay that much.

Thats getting harder and harder to find but its still out there. Many areas also have large industrial buildings that are not getting used to their full potential.
NJ might be more expensive than Philly, but then again it might not be. The downside is, apart from the downtown areas of the older communities its not that walkable really. People do their shopping in malls.

I wonder if there are spaces in the "Oranges"? Thats the former home of Thomas Edison's laboratory which is now a national monument. They seem to be very welcoming of innovative educational businesses.

Don't know about vacancies or cost. It might well be higher than Philly's environs. Or maybe not. I don't know.

Bloomfield, right next door to Montclair, has a walk in electronics parts counter,  NTE electronics, (website https://www.nteinc.com ) that handles all the major lines.

Really convenient for a small manufacturer to have that nearby.

Although many NJ areas are 'walkable' to a point, some areas more than others, realistically, unless she really planned things out, she would need to have a car to get around, especially when it comes to shopping for groceries, etc.

Any car that passed the quite thorough inspections. Meaning one with low emissions, etc. Any car manufactured in the last 15-20 years or so would likely pass. A tiny car - ideally a hatch-back, would be fine.

One big plus is, its not that trendy, compared to NYC, SF, etc. Not by a long shot. But its still pricey compared to many other areas. So, hard to say whether it would be a good choice.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 05:58:58 pm by cdev »

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #242 on: October 23, 2018, 01:46:25 pm »
She would need to have a car. Any car that passed the quite thorough inspections. Meaning one with low emissions, etc. Any car manufactured in the last 15-20 years or so would likely pass. A tiny car would be fine.
She owns a motorcycle and renting a truck would be the way to go for the move.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #243 on: October 23, 2018, 02:04:00 pm »
She would need to have a car. Any car that passed the quite thorough inspections. Meaning one with low emissions, etc. Any car manufactured in the last 15-20 years or so would likely pass. A tiny car would be fine.
She owns a motorcycle and renting a truck would be the way to go for the move.

U-Haul works out well. Thats definitely a good way to move. I don't trust other people to handle my electronic items. Many of them could be damaged by improper handling. There are also firms that will let you rent a metal box, a small storage container,  which they pick up and drop off, which you put your own lock on.  That works out really well too.

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #244 on: October 23, 2018, 02:07:30 pm »
You don't have to be in the bay area to see homeless people. Almost anywhere in california is like that right now.

countries with an extensive social safety net still have homeless people, usually a result of a mix of mental issues and substance abuse 

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #245 on: October 23, 2018, 03:25:36 pm »
Commuting to NYC would also be possible for me, although a lot more expensive than when I was a kid and I could get into the city for $0.95 ($0.60 for bus and another $0.35 for PATH train) And there is much more traffic now too. Its congested and people go nuts on the bus when its stuck in a traffic jam and they need to get to some meeting.

Also, if you commute, the fares add up quite a bit and come out of your pretax income.
Commuting costs coming out of pre-tax income is a good thing, right?

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #246 on: October 23, 2018, 03:28:17 pm »
 The thing is, just outside the city limits of Philadelphia would save a ton in taxes - they city is higher than the surrounding areas plus they have an additional sales tax above the state one, AND heaven help you if you are stuck within the city and like to have an occasional soda or other sweet drink, as there is a special extra tax on those things. Property is many of those just outside the city places would likely be less expensive as well.
 But I get it, some people are just city people. I know at least two other people who live well within the city of Philadelphia. They moan and complain about things all the time, but if you suggest there are other alternatives they immediately get defensive and complain that it's so much easier for them to get to things without a car (yet they pay a fortune to keep a car parked in the city so they can go to other places on occasion - go figure.  Where I live, no, I can't walk ot the mall (easily) or many of the restaurants around me, but those things also aren;t far. The traffic is not like driving in the city - it takes me 5 minutes to drive from my house to my office. Were I younger and in better shape, I could possibly bike it in nice weather, but I do live at the top of a fairly steep hill. Getting To work would be a breeze, it's getting home that would be less fun. I did live in Philly at one point, just started my first job out of college, and I was by myself, so a small place was affordable. Still had to drive to work, but I did have several close things I could walk to, which was nice. Thing is, when I later switched jobs and move outside of the city, the same rent money got me a larger 2 bedroom place that was as nice as the place I had in the city. It's all tradeoffs - for me I'd rather live where I have space (I have a decent size yard) rather than pay extra to live inside city limits, yet I am not in such a fancy area that housing costs are unaffordable - my house was relatively inexpensive compared to some places around me, but the neighborhood is good and fairly quiet.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #247 on: October 23, 2018, 03:29:33 pm »

countries with an extensive social safety net still have homeless people, usually a result of a mix of mental issues and substance abuse

Yea

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #248 on: October 23, 2018, 03:48:53 pm »
A big problem everywhere is churning and churners. Insiders who radiate a particularly disturbing kind of aggressive entitlement. Their attitude is "all these other people have gotten rich off of X" "I have a right to do it too". Except X is some activity that ruins peoples lives and THEY have no escape from it. The limits that used to exist in the past have been quietly removed and now normal people are fair game for what amounts to a global shakedown.

That is likely to create a huge amount of homeless people in the US, people who did nothing wrong, who just had the misfortune to be alive now and in the way of greedy peoples profit-churning activities.  And the totally infuriating thing is, vast legions of these cult-like people don't listen to any kind of logic, and nomatter where in the world they are from, if you discuss them with them for awhile, the truth comes out, they consider these kinds of nasty things to be their entitlement. If you play along with them, the truth comes out.

Its a predator-prey relationship.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 04:04:22 pm by cdev »

The following users thanked this post: julianhigginson

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #249 on: October 23, 2018, 05:39:35 pm »
Few if any countries in the world have the homeless problems the US has.

The US is the worst country in the developed world by far to be poor in, with the possible exception of Mexico.

Lots of homeless people now have jobs. Somehow they manage this. Probably by staying with friends in a serial fashion or living in their cars.

Many jobs don't pay enough to keep a roof over ones head in the US. Add the coming changes which are being driven by new AI technologies and energy price increases due to export, and the large scale elimination of safety nets, using 'trade barrier' as an excuse, and the planned large scale outsourcing of many jobs using the Internet, and we have a recipe for a major, unprecedented disaster in the coming years.

Yea
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 05:53:09 pm by cdev »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf