Author Topic: FranLab is getting evicted  (Read 251159 times)

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: FranLab is getting evicted
« Reply #625 on: October 04, 2019, 08:51:19 am »
Living in commercial properties varies vastly. Some of the normal exceptions are 'caretakers' and 'security' which will get you around the red tape in some cases. Giving advice of what you have got away with or seen gotten away with and the actual local rules may be two very different things. Australian rules vary by state for example and then on top of that local councils can also impose additional layers of  :bullshit:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: austfox

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #626 on: October 04, 2019, 09:09:49 am »
Australian rules vary by state for example and then on top of that local councils can also impose additional layers of  :bullshit:

And then you have the corporate strata conditions where that restriction is common. It's hard to enforce that, especially if an owner does it, but it's there and the corporate body can take legal action if needed.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #627 on: October 04, 2019, 01:47:40 pm »
I know jack about the music scene, but I'm sure there is still a market for hand made analog gear, effects pedals etc, surely?

There is, but it has become a very niche market. I don't know enough about Frantone to have an opinion here. But all I can say is that these days, you have to have some kind of "high-end" offering to pull that off. And you have to put a lot of effort in marketing to have a chance to sell enough to make a living out of it.

Again I don't know Frantone much, but if she wants to make this more profitable, she'd probably have to re-think her product line a bit and offer new things. Also make the activity a bit more diverse. For instance, design guitar amps as well, offer some kind of additional service, etc. And of course, ADVERTISE! I think a brand new and modernized web site would be in order as well.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #628 on: October 04, 2019, 02:03:43 pm »
Again I don't know Frantone much, but if she wants to make this more profitable, she'd probably have to re-think her product line a bit and offer new things. Also make the activity a bit more diverse. For nstance, design guitar amps as well, offer some kind of additional service, etc. And of course, ADVERTISE! I think a brand new and modernized web site would be in order as well.

I'm sure a viewer with web experience could help with that.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #629 on: October 04, 2019, 09:14:27 pm »
I still don't get why she needs that much space. I don't get why Dave needs that much space, lol. After you're done reviewing your o-scopes, you can get rid of 29 of them and just keep the 2 you use, right?

I have seen Fran use a small lathe. I'm sure she has a drill press and some other basic tools. What the heck do you need a commercial property for to use such equipment? Garage. Fran, look it up. I bet RX8 has a higher amount of more used and useful equipment in his garage. Collin Furze is building hoverbikes and hydralic Edwards scissor hands every two weeks, and getting million of subscribers, and he does this out of his garage. My Carlson's Lab seems to be a room the size of my bedroom closet filled oscilloscopes and with room for only a chair, his head, and about 1 square foot of bench space. I've never seen a Fran video on anything that couldn't be done out of a bedroom, not counting making a small wooden housing for a radio, smaller than a volleyball.

Perhaps Fran wants her Youtube channel to support her lifestyle. But her lifestyle is maybe not necessary in order to produce the content she currently makes. Well, take that back. Her lifestyle and personal issues are increasingly = to her content.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 09:42:05 pm by KL27x »

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #630 on: October 04, 2019, 11:53:21 pm »
Dave suggested increasing income via Frantone as a way out and it looks like that could be a way out either by manufacturing or perhaps licencing?

Coincidently she just mentioned in her latest video that Frantone is dead because there is no market for it. The only interest she gets is weekly requests for writing articles about the history of Frantone etc.
I know jack about the music scene, but I'm sure there is still a market for hand made analog gear, effects pedals etc, surely?

the market is completely flooded with both top dollar hand mades and cheap chinese knockoffs and its also declining as the newer generation move to digital modelling amps that fit in your bag instead  of  clunky old expensive tube amps which weigh tonnes.

Musicians who prefer limited-scope pedals rather than a does-it-all digital box like how they have immediate access to everything during performance. The digital boxes work quite well if you spend the time to program them in advance and have your set list all sorted, but if you get into any sort of improvisation then nothing beats having those knobs at your feet.

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #631 on: October 05, 2019, 12:47:12 am »
Dave suggested increasing income via Frantone as a way out and it looks like that could be a way out either by manufacturing or perhaps licencing?

Coincidently she just mentioned in her latest video that Frantone is dead because there is no market for it. The only interest she gets is weekly requests for writing articles about the history of Frantone etc.

the market is completely flooded with both top dollar hand mades and cheap chinese knockoffs and its also declining as the newer generation move to digital modelling amps that fit in your bag instead  of  clunky old expensive tube amps which weigh tonnes.

Musicians who prefer limited-scope pedals rather than a does-it-all digital box like how they have immediate access to everything during performance. The digital boxes work quite well if you spend the time to program them in advance and have your set list all sorted, but if you get into any sort of improvisation then nothing beats having those knobs at your feet.

Yes I agree. 
The problem is that electric guitar/bass (and related item) sales have been declining for a long time now.
There's a ton of boutique pedal effects makers chasing this shrinking market, not to mention a flood of cheap effects coming in from China, as was mentioned. 
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/05/10/electric-guitar-sales/

Offline rjp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #632 on: October 05, 2019, 01:40:50 am »

Yes I agree. 
The problem is that electric guitar/bass (and related item) sales have been declining for a long time now.
There's a ton of boutique pedal effects makers chasing this shrinking market, not to mention a flood of cheap effects coming in from China, as was mentioned. 
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/05/10/electric-guitar-sales/

On top of all this,  most of these classic "tone" pedals are fully documented and reversed engineered  and are quite simple to build as hobby projects for anyone with a soldering iron and a few bucks. The pedal world is full of Audio Woo (tm) and much drama is made of  transistors and an op amp brands.

eg: Frans big muff type pedals  https://www.electrosmash.com/big-muff-pi-analysis are $20 worth of parts and an easy schematic

Hers costs $300 ish,  Aliexpress has them for $40 ish and its one of the settings on my digital modeller for free.

Personally, I used to have a tube amp and a pedal board of unique pedals, it does  sound *better* than a digital modelling board in a one to one analysis however the moment you have to mic up the amp, or play in a musically dead room, or carry that crap around, that small difference in sound quality becomes much harder to hear.

As for creativity Im finding the digital one more creative because it has such a big range of virtual pedals Id never bother buying in boutique form.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 01:48:38 am by rjp »

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #633 on: October 05, 2019, 02:23:12 am »
On top of all this,  most of these classic "tone" pedals are fully documented and reversed engineered  and are quite simple to build as hobby projects for anyone with a soldering iron and a few bucks. The pedal world is full of Audio Woo (tm) and much drama is made of  transistors and an op amp brands.

eg: Frans big muff type pedals  https://www.electrosmash.com/big-muff-pi-analysis are $20 worth of parts and an easy schematic

Hers costs $300 ish,  Aliexpress has them for $40 ish and its one of the settings on my digital modeller for free.

Personally, I used to have a tube amp and a pedal board of unique pedals, it does  sound *better* than a digital modelling board in a one to one analysis however the moment you have to mic up the amp, or play in a musically dead room, or carry that crap around, that small difference in sound quality becomes much harder to hear.

As for creativity Im finding the digital one more creative because it has such a big range of virtual pedals Id never bother buying in boutique form.
Hmm I wonder if a DSP pedal would sell. The pedal comes doing exactly nothing by default, but you can load arbitrary program into it (up to memory limitation) to make it perform any function...

Offline rjp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #634 on: October 05, 2019, 02:28:34 am »

Hmm I wonder if a DSP pedal would sell. The pedal comes doing exactly nothing by default, but you can load arbitrary program into it (up to memory limitation) to make it perform any function...

the teensy boards come with synth and audio processing libraries that exploit the DSP on the high end arm micro's (cortex m4) and you can buy a case with input/output buffered circuits for them

https://www.tindie.com/products/Blackaddr/arduino-teensy-guitar-audio-shield/

a realtime FGPA version would possibly be popular but the skill required to make it sound nice is possibly a step too far for the hacker market, so you would also need to do a gui that provided building blocks.

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #635 on: October 05, 2019, 02:40:44 am »

Joyo overdrive was $25 but its gotten so many positive reviews from pro's that the price went up to $35-40. 

There's a ton of those around already but DSP pedals tend to cost more and have more features... why not, its just additional software/firmware...

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #636 on: October 05, 2019, 03:26:50 am »
I still don't get why she needs that much space. I don't get why Dave needs that much space, lol.

I don't actually need 100sqm now that David works from home, so it's just me and a part time packing and shipping person.
The old 50sqm lab would be enough if I didn't have packing and shipping, that takes room. We used to do packing on the floor because of the lack space. So I need somewhere between 50-100sqm.
Could I get by with less? yeah, if I had to, but I don't have to any more so I choose not to.
Bench space is important, my old 50sqm lab had 6 benches. It's not about equipment storage, it's about working bench space to put stuff in progress etc. I have a storage bunker which helps a lot, it holds all my stock and my "hoard". Every week or two I bring up boxes of stock from the bunker.
Just having a permanent mailbag "set" takes room.
As for Fran she has sewing and all sorts of mechanical construction stuff. I can see her easily needing 200sqm+ when she lives there, works there, and uses it for storage.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 03:35:52 am by EEVblog »

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #637 on: October 05, 2019, 05:48:01 am »
Oh. I didn't realize you regularly made and shipped stuff. I forgot about the Bryman DMM thing.

I recalled the scientific calculator from like a decade ago. And I guess the uCurrent is still selling? Wonder what else I missed.

As for Fran she has sewing and all sorts of mechanical construction stuff. I can see her easily needing 200sqm+ when she lives there, works there, and uses it for storage.
  200 square meters is a fairly cozy house. I mean that's about 1800 square feet, right? I guess she doesn't want to live in a residential area, though. I guess I haven't seen too many of her videos where she uses/features/demonstrates any of that stuff. Had no idea about the sewing. I wonder if that generates any income.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #638 on: October 05, 2019, 06:23:25 am »
Oh. I didn't realize you regularly made and shipped stuff. I forgot about the Bryman DMM thing.
I recalled the scientific calculator from like a decade ago. And I guess the uCurrent is still selling? Wonder what else I missed.

http://eevblog.com/store

I have many hundreds of meters in stock at any one time, I order pallet loads of them at a time.

200 square meters is a fairly cozy house. I mean that's about 1800 square feet, right? I guess she doesn't want to live in a residential area, though. I guess I haven't seen too many of her videos where she uses/features/demonstrates any of that stuff. Had no idea about the sewing. I wonder if that generates any income.

Her Youtube username is actually ContourCorsets, as is her Twitter name, not FranLab, or FranTone. She makes custom corsets, but not sure how much these days.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ContourCorsets

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #639 on: October 05, 2019, 08:47:14 am »
Lucky you, not all landlords are that accommodating.

They don't need to know every detail. The point is, don't do anything that causes any harm or risk to them, and they'll have nothing against you (formally or informally). Be a good customer, in other words.

Look at it from their potential POV:
Premises in use 24/365 and the additional wear and tear that creates.

I generate an order of magnitude less wear and tear than a typical tenant, which is a car repair shop by day, and hobby car repair shop by night.
Sleeping on a bed for 8 hours generates 0% more wear and tear than sleeping for 30 min, which is clearly allowed and normal.

Higher insurance risk.

Err, nope. No difference whatsoever.

Greater/faster property depreciation/higher maintenance.

Nope, see the first point.

I have been able to report things like roof leaking during heavy rain in the middle of the night with zero latency. My landlord likes me thanks to this fact.

Have you ever considered if the landlord isn't factoring into the lease these additional costs imposed upon them from live-in commercial tenants then they're subsidizing your lifestyle ?

No, because this is based on your imagination based on non-facts caused by not properly reading what I wrote, then extrapolating between the lines. Please don't make assumptions on my "lifestyle".

A buddy that has commercial tenants won't allow such live-in tenancy agreements other than 12hr/6 day occupancy.

Such agreement isn't in place. Sometimes you need to stop looking at things legal/paper side first, and concentrate doing the right thing, and being excellent to each other.

I have no more comments regarding this, let's keep on track.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 08:54:16 am by Siwastaja »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #640 on: October 05, 2019, 09:41:27 am »
Lucky you, not all landlords are that accommodating.

They don't need to know every detail.
Why not, it's their property and investment after all and their right to set terms to protect it.
Sure, you pay for the right to use it at terms agreeable to you both however not disclosing full facts of usage is deceit.

Anyways as I posted earlier, lucky you, not all landlords are that accommodating.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #641 on: October 09, 2019, 06:55:05 pm »
 There are certainly areas within easy walks of all sorts of things in Philadelphia that are small homes with garages. I lives in the Northeast section of the city immediately after college, and while I lived in an apartment building with 5 apartments, the rest f the residences on my street were single family homes with even small yards and garages, yet I was only 1 block off the main street with all sorts of shops - I could and did walk to most everything except my job which was several miles away. And it was a bit far to carry a week or more worth of groceries by walking, so instead of the fairly nearby place, I usually stopped on the way home from work since I already was in my car anyway. There are similar areas where there are no yards, just blocks of houses, but they have garages, not the ancient style row home built in an age before the automobile. At  the time, this fit my lifestyle, but after a year and a half or so I took a better job and needed to move closer to that because the commute was killing me.

Mostly pointless to talk about, Fran will do as she wishes. There are options which can keep the same thing from happening to her over and over again, but as the old adage goes, you can lead a horse to water...   

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #642 on: February 05, 2020, 12:53:02 am »
Fran is having money problems again, new Patron's aren't replacing Patron who drop off, as well as Youtube not sharing her content as per usual:

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #643 on: February 05, 2020, 02:32:55 am »
Which should surprise absolutely nobody.

To be honest, I largely stopped watching after it seemed there was more drama than interesting engineering, not that I watch a lot of youtube videos to begin with.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, thm_w, Bud, langwadt, Jacon

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #644 on: February 05, 2020, 02:45:34 am »
Fran is having money problems again, new Patron's aren't replacing Patron who drop off, as well as Youtube not sharing her content as per usual:

Still getting shared to me but IF I do or choose not to watch it has changed in frequency over the public pleas of 'help poor me'. For someone who has been largely or totally self employed like Fran for more than a few years including pre youtube, if it isn't sustainable then the $ stops with them to sort it out.

For the bulk of the last two decades I have been self employed and in the case of one Retail business which was becoming increasingly unsustainable I closed it. Some didn't understand then that I wanted more than Beans on Toast and a Tent to live in and some still don't understand now after 8 years but that was my pragmatic decision to change what I do/did for a $.

Time for Fran to face the financial reality and change course!

edit there she is right beside an EEVBlog video I did watch some time ago  ;)

« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 02:52:05 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, thm_w

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #645 on: February 05, 2020, 02:48:11 am »
Yep, time to get another job. Keep milking the patrons I guess for whatever with occasional videos. When they're all gone just stop entirely.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #646 on: February 05, 2020, 03:43:46 am »
Yep, time to get another job. Keep milking the patrons I guess for whatever with occasional videos. When they're all gone just stop entirely.

No need to get another job, she could start selling branded stuff. Not just merch but useful stuff like meters like what I sell. Sure you have to pony up the money to buy stock, but if you chose the right stuff that has good margins and perhaps scarcity, then it can make the enterprise profitable with minimal time outlay.
My packing and shipping business is big enough to employ someone casual for a couple of hours two days a week, and I can (and do) do that myself when she's not available. It's not a huge time sink even when I do it.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #647 on: February 05, 2020, 04:08:08 am »

No need to get another job, she could start selling branded stuff. Not just merch but useful stuff like meters like what I sell. Sure you have to pony up the money to buy stock, but if you chose the right stuff that has good margins and perhaps scarcity, then it can make the enterprise profitable with minimal time outlay.
My packing and shipping business is big enough to employ someone casual for a couple of hours two days a week, and I can (and do) do that myself when she's not available. It's not a huge time sink even when I do it.

I suppose it depends on your point of view but I do think that's another job even if it's related. You're absolutely right though she should probably invest in something like that before there is nothing to invest. It just seems like she expected to coast through the rest of her life doing the same thing until... Millions showed up in her lap?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #648 on: February 05, 2020, 05:24:21 am »
I suppose it depends on your point of view but I do think that's another job even if it's related. You're absolutely right though she should probably invest in something like that before there is nothing to invest. It just seems like she expected to coast through the rest of her life doing the same thing until... Millions showed up in her lap?

When it's building upon your "brand" I can't see how it's another job, you are just expanding your brands and services (product sales in addition to content creation).

I for one could not survive if it was just Youtube and Patreon income. US$42k last year in Adsense revenue and almost the same in Patreon income. That's pretty good money, about US$80k a year, but that's before expenses and my wife and two kids. I could earn more as a 9-5 engineer. And my audience is 7 times bigger than Frans. I only stay afloat at this because of the additional product sales and extra website advertising.

So she absolutely cannot continue to survive on just Adsense and Patreon income, unless she cut her expenses drastically by moving to a much cheaper area, and/or got a partner than could double the income and split expenses. So the only way forward seems to be product sales or some other associated business that builds upon the brand.

The following users thanked this post: tom66, thm_w

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #649 on: February 05, 2020, 01:33:44 pm »

When it's building upon your "brand" I can't see how it's another job, you are just expanding your brands and services (product sales in addition to content creation).

I for one could not survive if it was just Youtube and Patreon income. US$42k last year in Adsense revenue and almost the same in Patreon income. That's pretty good money, about US$80k a year, but that's before expenses and my wife and two kids. I could earn more as a 9-5 engineer. And my audience is 7 times bigger than Frans. I only stay afloat at this because of the additional product sales and extra website advertising.

So she absolutely cannot continue to survive on just Adsense and Patreon income, unless she cut her expenses drastically by moving to a much cheaper area, and/or got a partner than could double the income and split expenses. So the only way forward seems to be product sales or some other associated business that builds upon the brand.

You have created a monetizable "hangout" for electronics engineers and hobbyists from all over the world...  (thank you!).   I don't know if that is what you set out to do, or if it just kind of happened...   either way, in the words of the philosopher Goethe,  "Boldness has genius and power and magic in it".   To my mind, boldness is the essential ingredient that separates the "Great" from the "Good" when it comes to pretty much any human activity or product.  But it is not enough on its own. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf