Author Topic: FranLab is getting evicted  (Read 251145 times)

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
Re: FranLab is getting evicted
« Reply #175 on: October 15, 2018, 08:22:54 pm »
Having helped clean out a few storage units, I strongly suspect that a majority of what gets stored in those places never moves until it gets discarded or given away when the unit is cleared out. Almost always in the cases I've seen, the storage bill far outweighs the value if the items.

IMHO the only time a storage unit makes sense is when there is a short term need with a finite timespan and a well thought out plan for dealing with it. We used one once to deal with an influx of stuff from a deceased relative so their house could be sold but we decided ahead of time it would be for no more than 3 months and then set right to work going through things deciding what to keep, what to sell and what to give away. I've known multiple people though who clean their house by piling stuff in a storage unit with no long term plan. Then pretty soon there's so much stuff in the storage unit that they don't know what's there and can't easily access most of it.

That is similar to what I fear is going to happen.
I get the impression from the unpublished-video in this thread, that Fran, is (sadly) in denial of this situation.
They really need to NOT have a lot of the stuff. There are all sorts of ways of getting it to a good home or disposing of stuff.

I'm too far away to help (directly), and would probably not be the right sort of person, to be able to help, either.

But they just seem to have far too much stuff, and don't seem to properly realize it.

Without a massive home or workshop, they are going to get into big difficulties.

I think the real problem here, is they have way too much stuff. If they had a normal amount of stuff, like most people. This would be an easy problem to sort out.
Find a new rented or bought place and spend a day moving the stuff into it. Problem sorted.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 08:24:57 pm by MK14 »

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #176 on: October 15, 2018, 08:29:29 pm »
I've known multiple people though who clean their house by piling stuff in a storage unit with no long term plan. Then pretty soon there's so much stuff in the storage unit that they don't know what's there and can't easily access most of it.

And then, once you have convinced yourself that you don't even remember what's there, and that you have never accessed anything over the past 5 years, chuck it all out! ;) 

Doesn't sound like the worst of plans to me; it takes some pain out of the decision-making process...

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #177 on: October 15, 2018, 08:34:56 pm »
I have met people that went through this, with the strategically falling debris or the inadvertent blown water or sewage pipe invading the shop (hard to know the real intentions).
In Chicago, they used to just hire crackheads to break into your place to "burglarize" it every 3 weeks until you leave.

If I had nothing better to do, 9 months left on my lease, and no buyout offer, I might consider buying every type of insurance to cover any theft or incidental damage and maybe come out on top, lol. If your lease is costing the owner hundreds of thousands of dollars, they could at least make a decent offer for a buyout. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 08:44:58 pm by KL27x »

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #178 on: October 15, 2018, 08:35:49 pm »
I've known multiple people though who clean their house by piling stuff in a storage unit with no long term plan. Then pretty soon there's so much stuff in the storage unit that they don't know what's there and can't easily access most of it.

And then, once you have convinced yourself that you don't even remember what's there, and that you have never accessed anything over the past 5 years, chuck it all out! ;) 

Doesn't sound like the worst of plans to me; it takes some pain out of the decision-making process...

But that will cost money (I'm not sure exactly how much, in the US), to rent the storage space(s).
Which accumulates over the years, to become a somewhat big total, of fairly wasted money.
Which would be better spent, towards buying somewhere permanent to live or other things.

I.e. Maybe it would be better, to treat the situation, like a failed/bankrupt business.
Have a big "fire" sale, and get rid of most of the stuff.
I guess it's easier said than done, in practice.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 08:42:18 pm by MK14 »

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #179 on: October 15, 2018, 08:50:09 pm »
Having helped clean out a few storage units, I strongly suspect that a majority of what gets stored in those places never moves until it gets discarded or given away when the unit is cleared out. […] Then pretty soon there's so much stuff in the storage unit that they don't know what's there and can't easily access most of it.

Indeed. I wouldn't recommend anyone get a storage unit for long-term occupancy unless they have a really good, usable inventory system to keep track of what's in there and also exactly where in the storage unit each item is. Preferably they would also reasonably expect to put in and take out items on a regular basis, such that they keep the storage unit and contents in mind.

Regarding Fran & Dave downsizing: Why not sell stuff to subscribers and other fans? That would keep the equipment in good hands, and raise a bit of money for moving. Possibly add a condition that the buyer give yearly updates on what they've done with it, even if the update is nothing more than "it's still here" or "I sold it on", to ease everyone's minds about nixie gear getting scrapped and the like.
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #180 on: October 15, 2018, 09:14:49 pm »
Before you sell you need to inventory the stuff, then you need to ship the items, let alone create listings for sale. This is huge work. 
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #181 on: October 15, 2018, 09:49:11 pm »
Renting is also ridiculously expensive. Although, you do have a fair amount of security here as a tenant. You can't easily be kicked out unless you fail to pay the rent, and if the landlord tries to increase it unreasonably, you can go to a tribunal.

This isn't true - the problem with UK vs other EU countries like Germany are 6 month short hold tenancies. You WILL be kicked out every 6 months by default if your landlord decides there are better paying tenants or just doesn't like you on a whim, or that the latest batch of "refugees" are far more profitable as they are paid and guaranteed by the state.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #182 on: October 15, 2018, 09:53:30 pm »
What I don't understand with English from England is how in some accents the letter "t" disappears completely. "Saturday" become "Sa - urday".
Google “glottal stop”. It’s a common sound in many languages.

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #183 on: October 15, 2018, 10:22:28 pm »
She has about 1k of patreons. She must be receiving what? Around 1500 USD per month? Aren;t those money enough to grand her a nice place as a lab in her location?  As far for the moving process she could ask the help of people from a local hackerspace?

I tend to believe that the problem is mainly psychological and not practical reasons. Tired of moving, bored of the process etc.

She is hiding her donation dollar total, which many people do, but it could be anywhere from $1,500 to $3,000 per month ($951 x $1-3).

For comparison: Dave $2.73 donation per person, Julian I. $1.56, Micah $4.33. Its nice that some post the info publicly to compare.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #184 on: October 15, 2018, 10:45:12 pm »
Renting is also ridiculously expensive. Although, you do have a fair amount of security here as a tenant. You can't easily be kicked out unless you fail to pay the rent, and if the landlord tries to increase it unreasonably, you can go to a tribunal.

This isn't true - the problem with UK vs other EU countries like Germany are 6 month short hold tenancies. You WILL be kicked out every 6 months by default if your landlord decides there are better paying tenants or just doesn't like you on a whim, or that the latest batch of "refugees" are far more profitable as they are paid and guaranteed by the state.

here that is because if the contract is not time limited, the landlord lets the renter stay beyond the limits and bunch of other traps it basically
becomes interminable

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #185 on: October 15, 2018, 11:16:36 pm »
She has about 1k of patreons. She must be receiving what? Around 1500 USD per month? Aren;t those money enough to grand her a nice place as a lab in her location?  As far for the moving process she could ask the help of people from a local hackerspace?

I know plenty of people that live paycheck to paycheck and are constantly "broke" and need to borrow money for any trouble in their life. Sure, they have a retirement account worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. But they are "broke," and that's the story they stick with.

this is the new modern day thing. Socking away most of your savings into a 401K, have a nice retirement account, and still live the bohemian life.

But if she's making 1000 a month from Youtube and she's actually broke, then she probably makes a large percentage of her income from Youtube, compared to w/e she's doing with the other 1500 square feet of metro real estate/workshop/production (making guitar pedals/effects or w/e she does). Maybe she ought to take a trip to the dumpster and downsize a little, if she wants to stay in the city. Focus on what brings in the net profit per square foot of lease.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 11:31:12 pm by KL27x »

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #186 on: October 15, 2018, 11:50:44 pm »
the bohemian life is pretty shit.

people get stuck doing that stuff. leaving the lights on turns into some kind of capital offense. don't you notice your sanity slowly leaving you around those kinds of people?

went to college, designed high tech equipment for rich people, pp&j on toast for lunch?  :scared:

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #187 on: October 16, 2018, 12:41:59 am »
Only an idiot would dip into their 401k to pay for day to day expenses. Most people greatly underestimate the amount of money they need to retire and do not save nearly enough, not the other way around. This is one reason that retirement is a pipe dream for many.

Taking in $1k/month would be poverty in this area. You'd be lucky to scrape by renting a room in someone's house and relying on public transit.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #188 on: October 16, 2018, 05:51:06 am »
What is the city she lives?

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #189 on: October 16, 2018, 06:11:29 am »
What is the city she lives?

Alexander.

It is perfectly acceptable to actually read the thread (or at least, say, the original post) before asking questions.  :P

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #190 on: October 16, 2018, 10:02:59 am »
What I don't understand with English from England is how in some accents the letter "t" disappears completely. "Saturday" become "Sa - urday".
Google “glottal stop”. It’s a common sound in many languages.

Or ask any native of the East End of London to pronounce "glottal stop" for you — a dialect in which that phrase is self-defining, alright Guv?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #191 on: October 16, 2018, 10:11:41 am »
She has about 1k of patreons. She must be receiving what? Around 1500 USD per month?

She is hiding her donation dollar total, which many people do, but it could be anywhere from $1,500 to $3,000 per month ($951 x $1-3).

Fran for whatever reason has a few trolls that post in every single one of her videos.
Comments like "stop begging for money" "what is this [swear word]" etc.
It's about the time this started, that she hid the total donation amount.

My understanding is the donations cover the youtube channel and related projects, without that money the channel would be abandoned mostly a the time spent making things to sell instead.
However given the recent landlord decision to screw Fran out of a year's lease, she needs the money.

To the fools telling Fran to just bin most of her stuff, and move into a caravan or something. You owe Fran an apology.
You have no idea what Fran owns, what she uses it for, or what it's worth.
If someone binned your most useful but ugly looking tool/machine as it was taking up space, you would be livid.

The following users thanked this post: PointyOintment

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #192 on: October 16, 2018, 11:34:07 am »
But that will cost money (I'm not sure exactly how much, in the US), to rent the storage space(s).

In Sydney a 6m x 9m (54sqm/580sqft) storage shed is about $1400/month. $1000/month for 6m x 6m.
You can actually lease a unit/apartment for the same price

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #193 on: October 16, 2018, 11:40:39 am »
Regarding Fran & Dave downsizing

I'm not downsizing, in fact I'm upsizing, I just paid a lease deposit on a larger space and will be combining my lab and office again shortly.
And I'll be saving money by upsizing actually.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, PointyOintment

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #194 on: October 16, 2018, 11:54:06 am »
I just paid a lease deposit on a larger space and will be combining my lab and office again shortly.
I hope it was selected purely on the basis of the other tenants.... i.e. the dumpster room potential  :)

The following users thanked this post: PointyOintment, sokoloff

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #195 on: October 16, 2018, 12:49:00 pm »

In Sydney a 6m x 9m (54sqm/580sqft) storage shed is about $1400/month. $1000/month for 6m x 6m.
You can actually lease a unit/apartment for the same price

So about £16 per square foot per annum - which is the standard way of thinking about commercial rents in the UK. To put that into perspective, the current UK commercial rental on light industrial/office space in a business park in a so-so location is around the £70/sqft/annum mark - that's advertised asking price one might negotiate some discount.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #196 on: October 16, 2018, 01:10:15 pm »
I just paid a lease deposit on a larger space and will be combining my lab and office again shortly.
I hope it was selected purely on the basis of the other tenants.... i.e. the dumpster room potential  :)

Same dumpster room!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #197 on: October 16, 2018, 01:15:03 pm »
The current UK commercial rental on light industrial/office space in a business park in a so-so location is around the £70/sqft/annum mark - that's advertised asking price one might negotiate some discount.

:o
Rates in my business park start at about AU$300sqm (AU$28 sqft /£15.1)
And it's a very upmarket business park. Resmed, Woolworths and other big names are there.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #198 on: October 16, 2018, 01:23:50 pm »
It's kind of irritating how much someone can charge for owning land and get rich off of it and the hard work of running a factory or doing R&D is taxed so heavily...

Does anyone actually have alot of respect for their land lord? :-DD

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #199 on: October 16, 2018, 01:24:59 pm »
The current UK commercial rental on light industrial/office space in a business park in a so-so location is around the £70/sqft/annum mark - that's advertised asking price one might negotiate some discount.

:o
Rates in my business park start at about AU$300sqm (AU$28 sqft /£15.1)
And it's a very upmarket business park. Resmed, Woolworths and other big names are there.

The UK rate seems very high indeed. Here (in Hamburg, one of the more expensive cities in Germany) you would be looking at costs close to what Dave mentioned for Sidney. Unless you want an office right in the city center, that is.

Just to make sure: We are talking about net rent, excluding utilities, facility management etc., right?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf