Author Topic: FranLab is getting evicted  (Read 251213 times)

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
Re: FranLab is getting evicted
« Reply #375 on: December 09, 2018, 06:54:42 pm »
someones paying them and making a work schedule though

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #376 on: December 10, 2018, 06:41:15 am »
I can see why it is going to be troublesome moving out.

In her later videos I see there is a lot more in the lab and the heavy machinery.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #377 on: December 10, 2018, 08:27:18 pm »
Perhaps the main reason so very much older equipment is on the market for so little (or even tossed out) is the sheer cost of the space one needs to keep it in.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #378 on: December 10, 2018, 09:52:24 pm »
You can say that again. A couple of years ago a friend sold for the price of a fancy coffee a Tek 7000 mainframe with two plugins simply due to the sheer lack of space (it wasn't anything out of this world in specs, though). Unfortunately I was in a very special situation and could not take it. :(
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #379 on: December 10, 2018, 11:24:17 pm »
Perhaps the main reason so very much older equipment is on the market for so little (or even tossed out) is the sheer cost of the space one needs to keep it in.

Also the huge hassle in trying to sell it. Logistics sucks for big heavy items.
It's even too much hassle for people to come pick it up for free.
I'm starting to toss out stuff that I hate to do, but I know it's just too much hassle otherwise.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #380 on: December 11, 2018, 07:51:39 am »
We tend to look at gear and dream about it. The reality is that the real estate gear occupies quickly becomes more expensive than the gear itself, especially the more sizeable stuff. Square meters are expensive.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #381 on: December 11, 2018, 02:23:09 pm »
Also the huge hassle in trying to sell it. Logistics sucks for big heavy items.
It's even too much hassle for people to come pick it up for free.
I'm starting to toss out stuff that I hate to do, but I know it's just too much hassle otherwise.

That is why dumpster rooms exist. Your junk, someone else's treasure.  :P
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #382 on: December 11, 2018, 10:56:52 pm »
We tend to look at gear and dream about it. The reality is that the real estate gear occupies quickly becomes more expensive than the gear itself, especially the more sizeable stuff. Square meters are expensive.

Lab office space in my business park is $300-$400 sqm

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #383 on: December 11, 2018, 11:18:30 pm »
Just seen a picture of her lab factory on Patreon.
It looks much more than lab like a factory setting all nicely arranged in the middle but a bit cramped

She disabled comments on her last video.
The situation is becoming worse and she is pleading for more help.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #384 on: December 11, 2018, 11:45:31 pm »
She disabled comments on her last video.
The situation is becoming worse and she is pleading for more help.

That's because it's not a normal video, it's just a promotional video to be viewed on Patreon.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #385 on: December 12, 2018, 12:00:41 am »
Is that per year or - gasp - per month?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #386 on: December 12, 2018, 12:04:46 am »
Is that per year or - gasp - per month?

Oops, per year. I pay about $30k a year (not including outgoings, which is also largely based on sqm) for my 100sqm lab.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #387 on: December 12, 2018, 12:42:07 am »
Fran could use some of that equipment to help set up a hacker space/nonprofit and perhaps get some community or redevelopment grants to do it.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #388 on: December 22, 2018, 12:08:12 am »
She got a new space!  :-+

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike, cdev, apis, Brumby, tooki, MK14

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #389 on: December 22, 2018, 04:38:09 pm »
This is really good news.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #390 on: December 22, 2018, 04:43:08 pm »
It is going to be a good Christmas.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #391 on: January 24, 2019, 05:54:14 pm »
I was looking at the patreon channel and they sacked the negotiator and went back on their "promises" and they are not replying to her emails now.

I think she said about the landlord/builders wanting everyone out by March and her lease runs out in July.

What about refunding part of the lease.
How can that be legal?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #392 on: January 24, 2019, 08:52:56 pm »
I was looking at the patreon channel and they sacked the negotiator and went back on their "promises" and they are not replying to her emails now.

I think she said about the landlord/builders wanting everyone out by March and her lease runs out in July.

How can that be legal?
It's the US. If you don't own it, it's not your decision.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #393 on: January 25, 2019, 03:17:00 am »

How can that be legal?

I know she doesn't own it. So even though she paid her lease they can still kick her out before the lease with some notice of course or take legal action to delay it which I can see may cost a lot.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 03:22:43 am by MrMobodies »

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #394 on: January 25, 2019, 06:50:11 am »

How can that be legal?
I really wish there is a credit union or such that monitors lenders and landlords. This way she can report that incident to that credit union and make their business that bit harder when they want to rent out anything again.

The state-run credit system of China currently monitors both ends of the contract. If a landlord goes back on a contract without proper compensation the tenant can report the incident to the landlord’s bank, which will result in a strike in the landlord’s general credit report.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #395 on: January 25, 2019, 08:42:16 am »
they can still kick her out before the lease with some notice of course or take legal action to delay it which I can see may cost a lot.

And that's the trick. They don't care and they know she doesn't have the money to fight it.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #396 on: January 25, 2019, 10:47:38 am »
I really wish there is a credit union or such that monitors lenders and landlords. This way she can report that incident to that credit union and make their business that bit harder when they want to rent out anything again.

The state-run credit system of China currently monitors both ends of the contract. If a landlord goes back on a contract without proper compensation the tenant can report the incident to the landlord’s bank, which will result in a strike in the landlord’s general credit report.
Some basics rights protecting the renter would do, but the US system tends to heavily favour the landlord.

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #397 on: January 25, 2019, 01:24:27 pm »
Some basics rights protecting the renter would do, but the US system tends to heavily favour the landlord.
This is a complex subject and laws vary by state and by city.  There are very great differences between jurisdictions.

I do not know of any jurisdiction which obligates the tenant to fulfill the term of a lease and yet allows the landlord to evict the tenant before the lease is up. I do not believe such thing exists and if there was even such law on the books I do not believe it would be upheld by the courts.

Something does not add up in the picture being presented which I find low on facts and charged with much emotion.

I have no idea who this woman is and I did not know her channel but she has a broken voice which I find grating.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #398 on: January 25, 2019, 01:34:10 pm »
I tend to agree that we are not privy to all the facts in this conundrum, especially the contract terms (conditions for a commercial zone, applicability of penalties and determination of culpability, etc.), thus the discussion will forcefully be lead by emotions and guesswork.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: Towger

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #399 on: January 25, 2019, 02:56:42 pm »
All this situation makes me fortunate that I'm in a situation where I own.   If I did ever build up a hobby into a business I don't have to worry too much about having the rug pulled from under me.  Though I guess there is the whole thing of municipalities often not liking people doing business in their home, but it's easier to hide for online stuff. 

Since Youtube is what she does wonder how viable it would be for her to just move somewhere really cheap where she can own a property and not be at the mercy of a landlord.   Still need a form of down payment and steady income though.  Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf