Author Topic: FranLab is getting evicted  (Read 256349 times)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: FranLab is getting evicted
« Reply #825 on: October 18, 2021, 10:20:50 pm »
I'm still betting we'll be discussing this again within a couple of years.  :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, Bud, NivagSwerdna

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #826 on: October 18, 2021, 10:24:53 pm »
:phew:
Really surprised she found something so quickly, it didn't sound good for a while.

Unfortunately I think you are right.
Either another eviction, or the money will dry up. AFAIK she is mostly supported by the Patreon money.
IIRC she did that video analysing the finances and at the time is seemed like it was only going to last 12 months or something. It's obviously turned out better than that, but still I don't think there is much margin there.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #827 on: October 18, 2021, 11:25:29 pm »
In the case of a debit card, your bank account could be empty (or overdrawn) immediately, which is a much more serious issue and potentially a lot more hassle to deal with.
No. There are daily withdrawal limits you can set to minimize the damage. Many banks have quite low defaults so the damage is minimal. On top of that, unintentional withdrawels by criminals are covered by the banks.

I should check with my credit union to see what kind of limits they put on debit card usage. But the Bad Guy won't try to charge $5,000 worth of stuff on a debit card. They'll do hundreds of dollars at different merchants, all of which are under any "limit" but aggregate to wiping out your account balance before the bank catches up.
No, the limits are daily limits. Not per purchase limits.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #828 on: October 19, 2021, 03:11:49 am »
Good news!  ^-^
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline AccountRemovedPerUsersRequest

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #829 on: October 19, 2021, 12:38:16 pm »
I'm still betting we'll be discussing this again within a couple of years.  :popcorn:

Or sooner... probably sooner. If not getting evicted, then leaving Youtube. Or something else.

But lets not list all that can be interpreted as negative feedback. Majority of the content is interesting. Hoping that Fran gets all sorted out.

A

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #830 on: October 19, 2021, 03:31:00 pm »
(I won't even get into how landlords and even employers will pull a credit report on potential lessees/hires. That's pure evil.)

The landlord credit bureau is all about that and they help good tenants increase their credit rating.  I haven't tried them, found them when considering getting tenants but it's still too much risk for me.  Out here it takes about 1 year, or at least it did before 2020, to get tenants out.  No matter how little they've paid or how much damage they've done.  Allowing a tenant into your house is a big risk and it makes sense to do some due diligence first.

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #831 on: October 19, 2021, 03:46:26 pm »
I'm not very familiar with FranLab but I'm guessing she doesn't sell the things she makes.  Most maker channels I've seen ignore that and I wish they wouldn't.  I haven't found many people talking about how to turn all this work and knowledge into money.  Dave's videos about his current meter and subsequent DMM were some of my favorites.

Sounds like Fran is a great maker, why doesn't she sell things and make money?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #832 on: October 19, 2021, 03:56:02 pm »

There's a completely different set of skills required for making a 'one off' or a handful of things and reliably, efficiently, and economically manufacturing and selling hundreds, thousands of millions of something. It's a bit like the difference between being a good cook and a good restauranteur.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #833 on: October 19, 2021, 04:10:54 pm »
she did,the company was called frantone.

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #834 on: October 19, 2021, 04:57:35 pm »
she did,the company was called frantone.

Thanks.  Sounds like she had some good products but was copied and ignored.  I think that is a common problem and it would be great to see her overcome it.

She did say she would give it another go if someone wants to manufacturer for her or license it.  This has the makings of a great underdog story that would end with Fran buying her competitors buildings and evicting them.

Youtube - What Happened To Frantone?

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #835 on: October 19, 2021, 05:38:02 pm »

There's a completely different set of skills required for making a 'one off' or a handful of things and reliably, efficiently, and economically manufacturing and selling hundreds, thousands of millions of something. It's a bit like the difference between being a good cook and a good restauranteur.

Yes it is a different skill set but they go well together and often get combined.  Whether as an entrepreneur or an employee, it is valuable to know design, manufacturing and business.

I think a lot of makers dream about making money eventually and would enjoy learning how to do everything required for that.  It can be a pain to get sidetracked by all the business stuff but it's also a pain getting sidetracked by having insufficient funds.

I bet many cooks dream of becoming a chef and then opening their own restaurant.

Offline AccountRemovedPerUsersRequest

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #836 on: October 19, 2021, 06:09:19 pm »
Products designed (and often manufactured) by a content creator is something I have found a good way to support makers. I might be alone with this, but I am willing to pay more for a product that has "maker's touch" on it. Let me give you examples: I have bought plans from Matthias Wandel's shop to support. I have absolutely no intention to make a chair. I have bought a DMM from Dave. I have tons of those already. And I could buy one much cheaper if I needed to.
I have bought a game from 8-bit guy. I do not have any suitable computer for it.

So... I think it does not need to be mass produced. And it does not need to compete (with price) against china-manufactured versions.

A

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #837 on: October 19, 2021, 06:53:00 pm »
Frantone was caught in the turmoil of the 9/11 terrorist attacks when it was just about to take off. She was based out of NY at the time. That blow and rezoning of her neighborhood forcing her to move out was what effectively killed Frantone off. She talked about it in a recent video on YT that she later delisted after YT flagged it due to the 9/11 related content. She said she was evicted effectively overnight and had to break into the building to save as much of Frantone assets as she could carry away in one night. Tools, materials, inventory. Seems to be a recurring thing for her.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Quarlo Klobrigney

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
« Reply #838 on: October 19, 2021, 07:05:32 pm »
If you are selling "your brand" and your name brand is a trusted one, then people would rather buy and support you than a knockoff.
Encapsulating a PCB in epoxy is a good deterrent to make the thieves work harder, especially with random scrap electronic pieces thrown in the mix.
Add some wires to and fro to confuse things a bit more.
3D circuit boards, i.e. 90° verticals and horizontals make it harder to "decap" without destroying something.
Use SMD parts.
Never use the Chinese PCB maker's software and expect not seeing it sold for pennies later.
Leave values off the PCB when sending to the fab.

Nothing will stop the copycats.
Just make it hard for them to do it.

Just my 43 cents to protect hardware IP.
Voltage does not flow, nor does voltage go.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #839 on: October 19, 2021, 07:18:17 pm »
(I won't even get into how landlords and even employers will pull a credit report on potential lessees/hires. That's pure evil.)

The landlord credit bureau is all about that and they help good tenants increase their credit rating.  I haven't tried them, found them when considering getting tenants but it's still too much risk for me.  Out here it takes about 1 year, or at least it did before 2020, to get tenants out.  No matter how little they've paid or how much damage they've done.  Allowing a tenant into your house is a big risk and it makes sense to do some due diligence first.

How is a person's credit rating an indicator of their behavior? 

Many people have low credit ratings because they cannot get credit or get "enough" credit from lenders. It's a vicious cycle. Just because someone doesn't have a $50,000 credit limit across a half-dozen credit cards, with no outstanding balances, doesn't mean that they don't pay their bills on time. In fact, it's more likely that they do pay bills on time -- because when everything is cash, bills are paid immediately!

It's also further proof of the observation, "It is very expensive to be poor," because a low credit rating means that the cost of borrowing is higher than it is for someone with "better" credit.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #840 on: October 19, 2021, 07:23:57 pm »
If you are selling "your brand" and your name brand is a trusted one, then people would rather buy and support you than a knockoff.
Encapsulating a PCB in epoxy is a good deterrent to make the thieves work harder, especially with random scrap electronic pieces thrown in the mix.
3D circuit boards, i.e. 90° verticals and horizontals make it harder to "decap" without destroying something.
Doesn't work. The only way is to stay ahead. Have the next product ready and let the copycats eat your dust.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #841 on: October 19, 2021, 07:26:34 pm »
Frantone was caught in the turmoil of the 9/11 terrorist attacks when it was just about to take off. She was based out of NY at the time. That blow and rezoning of her neighborhood forcing her to move out was what effectively killed Frantone off. She talked about it in a recent video on YT that she later delisted after YT flagged it due to the 9/11 related content. She said she was evicted effectively overnight and had to break into the building to save as much of Frantone assets as she could carry away in one night. Tools, materials, inventory. Seems to be a recurring thing for her.
I assume she was renting that place as well. It seems to me that operating a business in the US from a rented space in a residential area is a guaranteed recipy for disaster.

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #842 on: October 19, 2021, 07:27:23 pm »
Doesn't work. The only way is to stay ahead. Have the next product ready and let the copycats eat your dust.

I like that strategy and often suggest it when people want to add more features to V1 before getting any sales.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #843 on: October 19, 2021, 11:00:06 pm »
I'm not very familiar with FranLab but I'm guessing she doesn't sell the things she makes.  Most maker channels I've seen ignore that and I wish they wouldn't.  I haven't found many people talking about how to turn all this work and knowledge into money.  Dave's videos about his current meter and subsequent DMM were some of my favorites.

My incomes sources from this Youtube gig are, roughly in order of revenue.
Product sales
Website advertising
Youtube ad revenue
Patreon
LBRY/Odysee income
Paypal and crypto donations direct

I've tried to convince Fran to sell products, and have even given her some of my wholesale contacts and margins etc, but she says it's impossible from a logistics point of view in Philly in terms of courier and postage access/reliability or some such. I don't know the details of exactly why though. I guess it's another way Philly is holding her back.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #844 on: October 19, 2021, 11:05:29 pm »
So... I think it does not need to be mass produced. And it does not need to compete (with price) against china-manufactured versions.

I've learned to stay away from the low margin and low priced stuff, it's not worth the effort packing and shipping something worth $10 for example.
If you are looking to rebedge/resell a product, it's actually quite hard to find something that is not well marketed elsewhere and has a good margin.
This is why Brymen was a great find for me, their marketing and strict dealership rules makes it quite difficult to get their products. And as a bonus the margins are good.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, tooki

Offline Bobertsawesome

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #845 on: October 20, 2021, 01:56:27 am »
Just needs to move out of the big city and settle down somewhere, buy a place of her own, and continue her work. Seems obvious to me, but I'm sure there's more to the story.

Not like she needs to be around basically anything to continue her business/job. Reminds me of the people in SF who are struggling to pay for their 1 bedroom apartment that costs $60,000 a year along with other astronomical living expenses.
Just a hobbyist and evolving voltnut

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #846 on: October 20, 2021, 04:14:36 am »
Just needs to move out of the big city and settle down somewhere, buy a place of her own, and continue her work. Seems obvious to me, but I'm sure there's more to the story.

There is, it's in the video. It's because she's trans and does not feel safe anywhere else.
Whether or not the threat is as bad as she thinks is kinda beside the point. It's real enough to her to keep doing the "safer" option of staying in Philly.
Anyway it's a done deal now, she has a new lease.

And the other hand, I'm looking at taking my own advice and once again thinking about buying a house and moving the lab into that. The numbers seem to work out even at Sydney's stupidly high prices.
I just missed out on a place that would have been perfect I think. And old delapidated house nearby that was used a surgery, sold as demolish/land only, but I'm sure it could have been usable as a lab.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #847 on: October 20, 2021, 04:41:03 am »
Buyers paradise.

Mad if you don't.  :)
iratus parum formica

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #848 on: October 20, 2021, 06:00:08 am »
Buyers paradise.

Buyers paradise?  :-//
More like a sellers paradise at the moment.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #849 on: October 20, 2021, 06:44:20 am »
Buyers paradise.

Buyers paradise?  :-//
More like a sellers paradise at the moment.

;D

Ha!
I suppose it depends on your standpoint.

The fish are on no matter where you drop the line.
iratus parum formica

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf