Author Topic: FranLab is getting evicted  (Read 250004 times)

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
Re: FranLab is getting evicted
« Reply #1375 on: November 25, 2022, 12:05:59 pm »
It's an interesting thing that you're just allowed to leave your car parked on the road for months on end, but you need to get a permit to put a skip there.
A skip aint  got road tax

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #1376 on: November 25, 2022, 12:12:48 pm »
It's an interesting thing that you're just allowed to leave your car parked on the road for months on end, but you need to get a permit to put a skip there.
A skip aint  got road tax

Well, neither does my plug in hybrid.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1377 on: November 25, 2022, 01:32:46 pm »
It will do very soon  >:D

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1378 on: November 25, 2022, 02:01:15 pm »
I seriously doubt that that is the truth. The Feds would call that sexual discrimination and age discrimination and quickly sue any such bank out of business.   The more likely case is that Fran is simply a bad loan risk from the bank's prospective.  My father, then in his 70s and single, got a 30 year mortgage loan so it certainly is possible.  Provided that you have the credit, a steady income, etc.  In fact, at least three single women in my family have all gotten large home loans from the banks in the last 20 or so years. One of them was nearly 70 and borrowed about $300,000 just over 2 years ago.

Your father got a mortgage that would run until he was 100 years old?

Yes,  From Wells Fargo I think but then the loan was sold to some other company.  I was surprised as hell too. I suppose that they may have thought that eventually he would die and they would get the house.  And in the end, that is what happened. My step mother and half brother inherited the house but never made any payments after that so the bank repossessed it.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1379 on: November 25, 2022, 06:52:51 pm »
Why do you find multifamily units objectionable?

I get apartment towers (they're ugly, sure), but a neighbourhood consisting of detached, semi-detached and small apartment units seems fine to me.  What's not attractive about that?

The latter doesn't bother me so much, there's a complex adjacent to my neighborhood, 2 story apartment buildings tucked back into the trees and provided with adequate parking. It's a separate development though, it is not on my actual street. That isn't what they're building today though, now gigantic mixed used towers are all the rage, or Soviet bloc style apartment buildings packed in like sardines with the buildings just a few feet apart and nowhere near sufficient parking. They're ugly and the extremely high density results in further crowding and people parking cars all over on the side of the street. When there is one of those new complexes without enough parking around it can be hard to find a place to park near the businesses.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1380 on: November 25, 2022, 06:56:50 pm »
Street parking is a whole 'nother debate.  It's an interesting thing that you're just allowed to leave your car parked on the road for months on end, but you need to get a permit to put a skip there.

You're supposed to move it every x number of hours but in practice I've seen cars parked for weeks or in one case *years* before I finally reported it as it covered in moss and leaves and obviously derelict.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1381 on: November 25, 2022, 07:02:17 pm »
Street parking is a whole 'nother debate.  It's an interesting thing that you're just allowed to leave your car parked on the road for months on end, but you need to get a permit to put a skip there.
Gunna see more street parking as the % off EV's increase and as insurance companies walk away from providing cover from EV charging failures and fires. Already we see that in NZ with charging cables thrown over fences to run over footpaths to the roadside.
A buddy in town has a neighbour that does this each night despite them having plenty of offroad parking in their own section so nightly he diligently removes the footpath trip hazard and lobs it back to from where it came.  :)

One imagines smart developers will install remote controlled roadside plinths outside each new address to cater for the future......but it should be driven by planners.....yeah right !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1382 on: November 26, 2022, 03:01:11 pm »

A car is entitled to park on the road, assuming there are no parking restrictions on that road, because of car tax.  A skip has no tax chargeable and is a dangerous hazard, hence the permit.  In London they are a bl00dy scourge.
DC coupling is the devils work!!

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #1383 on: November 26, 2022, 03:19:36 pm »
Gunna see more street parking as the % off EV's increase and as insurance companies walk away from providing cover from EV charging failures and fires.
Or just install fire sprinklers in residential garages.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1384 on: November 26, 2022, 04:01:49 pm »
Gunna see more street parking as the % off EV's increase and as insurance companies walk away from providing cover from EV charging failures and fires.
Sprinkler water on lithium battery fires ?  :scared:
They need a deluge to have any effect and good luck putting one out once it get well established.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1385 on: November 26, 2022, 04:31:57 pm »

Really?

You might want to check out this news article https://www.the-sun.com/motors/6263271/tesla-burst-into-flames-firefighters/

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1386 on: November 26, 2022, 10:01:17 pm »
Still, the proportion of EV fires is less than that of ICE vehicles.  They represent different hazards for firefighters, but overall the chance of an EV catching fire even after a serious accident is less than the chance of an ICE fire.

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #1387 on: November 26, 2022, 10:29:34 pm »
Still, the proportion of EV fires is less than that of ICE vehicles.  They represent different hazards for firefighters, but overall the chance of an EV catching fire even after a serious accident is less than the chance of an ICE fire.

Is that data normalised? ie, is it per/100k vehicles, or is it just a total?
Given the proportion of diesel powered ICE vehicles on the road, I suspect the latter.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: SiliconWizard

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1388 on: November 26, 2022, 10:34:33 pm »
The data I've seen compared vehicles up to 5 years old and is per vehicle, so not normalised by mileage for instance.  The rate of fire is considerably lower - around 1/3rd as much.

It's not fair to directly compare all ICE vehicles to battery EVs, because EVs have only been a commercially available product for about 10 years and only in the last 5 or so years have been available in larger numbers from many manufacturers.  An old car is a lot more likely to be involved in a fire, especially if poorly maintained.  If you compare battery EVs to all available vehicles, the rate is much better, around 1/10th that.  Whether that statistic is relevant depends on whether you believe an older EV will become more of a fire risk over time; the biggest hazard is thermal runaway of the battery pack, which could be age-related, but primarily seems to be random chance due to cell shorts.

In the UK I recall seeing many videos of the old Vauxhall Zafiras catching fire...  This was not actually Vauxhall's fault per se, but due to cabin fan speed controls being replaced with 3rd party knockoffs (the original controls were notorious for failure and were expensive) which did not have a temperature fuse fitted. If the fan stalled for any reason, the fan resistor would no longer be cooled, leading to a very hot source trapped inside of plastic HVAC vents.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1389 on: November 26, 2022, 11:55:48 pm »
I'm generally a proponent of EVs but the fire issue is something that concerns me. There is a big difference between a car catching on fire out on the road somewhere where you can pull over and get out of the vehicle vs catching fire inside your garage in the middle of the night while you're asleep. The latter is a much more serious situation.

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1390 on: November 27, 2022, 12:20:00 am »
No. Allianz, a German car insurance company has stated that BEVs / ICE cars have similar rates of catching fire. There is no difference there. The only difference is that a BEV needs to be submerged in water for a couple of days in order to make sure the fire is out.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 12:24:58 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #1391 on: November 27, 2022, 12:37:54 am »
No. Allianz, a German car insurance company has stated that BEVs / ICE cars have similar rates of catching fire. There is no difference there. The only difference is that a BEV needs to be submerged in water for a couple of days in order to make sure the fire is out.
I suspect that has a lot to do with the cars in use in Germany; specifically, even the ICE cars being quite safe and not prone to catching fire.
For one, badly kept "matchstick" beaters not being able to pass the emissions tests and mandatory inspections, and being illegal for road use (and not insured in any case, even if they are on the road).

That said, I believe it would be more interesting to find first responders, and ask their opinion and experience, considering all facets of vehicular mishaps.

For example, I guess that not having fuel leaks is probably a plus, but is it offset by the BEV's batteries' energy density and the way they sustain a fire if they do catch on fire?  Is there sufficient warning for first responders to act?

Anyway, we're straying dangerously far from the topic at hand.  Apologies on my part.  I do not believe FranLab's situation has anything to do with BEV/ICE safety differences.

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1392 on: November 27, 2022, 01:37:18 am »
I suspect that has a lot to do with the cars in use in Germany; specifically, even the ICE cars being quite safe and not prone to catching fire.
For one, badly kept "matchstick" beaters not being able to pass the emissions tests and mandatory inspections, and being illegal for road use (and not insured in any case, even if they are on the road).
That is grasping straws  ;) Realistically countries with a significant number of BEVs have mandatory safety inspections for all cars. There is not a statistically relevant number of dangerous cars on the road in such countries.

That said, I believe it would be more interesting to find first responders, and ask their opinion and experience, considering all facets of vehicular mishaps.
Those are a bad source of data because these instances typically don't keep statistics. Or even if they do, the statistics are typically useless. Insurance companies are much better at this; it is their livelyhood.

The worst source of information are the people on the workfloor. Sounds strange but their view is extremely limited and thus they lack overview on the big picture. I have made the mistake to ask people on the workfloor to help me gather design specs a couple of times and won't do that again. Straight up useless information.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 01:42:13 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1393 on: November 27, 2022, 02:35:46 am »
That is grasping straws  ;) Realistically countries with a significant number of BEVs have mandatory safety inspections for all cars. There is not a statistically relevant number of dangerous cars on the road in such countries.

There are a lot of BEVs in the USA and most if not all of the USA has no safety inspection on cars at all, none, it is not even a thing here and never has been. The closest thing I've heard of is the headlight inspections that some states used to have. The owner is 100% responsible for ensuring that their car is properly maintained and roadworthy. You can get pulled over if you have something visibly wrong like parts dragging on the ground or falling off or lighting that is not working but your whole car could be about to break in half from rust and nobody would ever check. Remarkably, accidents caused by mechanical failure are not really something you hear about.

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1394 on: November 27, 2022, 02:40:29 am »
All cars, you say? That is news to a significant number of residents of the United States.

Vehicle inspection requirements are by state here and only about half of the states require regular, on-going safety inspections.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #1395 on: November 27, 2022, 02:53:13 am »
That is grasping straws  ;)
Nope.  You just haven't watched enough Liveleaks.  :-*

(My favourite is the young chinese ironworker dude on a break, noticing the Liveleak logo in the corner, and starting to sweat.)

Realistically countries with a significant number of BEVs have mandatory safety inspections for all cars.
As others have said, they often do not.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1396 on: November 27, 2022, 03:52:43 am »
The owner is 100% responsible for ensuring that their car is properly maintained and roadworthy.

Which is no different in places with inspections. Except they're not naive enough to trust.

The following users thanked this post: tom66

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1397 on: November 27, 2022, 06:10:04 am »
Here in Canada, province of Ontario, we only had emission test every two years, and that was cancelled in 2021 I believe, for cars and heavy non-diesel vehicles. Basically now I do not have to do any inspections.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1398 on: November 27, 2022, 09:06:44 am »
In any case I am not worried about an EV catching fire.  It's an insured event, and I'm much more likely to be involved in a serious car accident than I am to be involved in a random vehicle fire.

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1399 on: November 27, 2022, 10:36:26 am »
As long as you’re charging with the car not in a garage attached to or under your home…

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf