Author Topic: FranLab is getting evicted  (Read 251239 times)

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
Re: FranLab is getting evicted
« Reply #1425 on: November 28, 2022, 03:23:34 am »
Her new FranLab 3.0 is not a factory or mixed use space as the Franlab 2.0 lab that was demolished around here was, it's a regular apartment building.
There are no more affordable mixed-use spaces available in Philly, they are all being lost to gentrification.

Thanks, I didn't know/realize that (My Excuse: Because Fran kept on repeatedly/regularly having these housing crises, so after spending time/interest following the original one, like others, I've sort of backed away, when their other housing crises things happened).

So, it does seem that they are being way too stubborn/inflexible and/or in denial about overcoming any psychological hesitations/hiccups, for moving into considerably more affordable accommodation and/or too short-sighted, about the situation.

But, short of 100 of us (Forum/Fran-Youtube-followers) getting together, and holding daily demonstrations, with huge banners, outside where they are currently situated.  We are probably not going to get anywhere, as they are free to do what they like.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #1426 on: November 28, 2022, 09:21:39 am »
DCTs are not multiple clutch plates, they are multiple independent clutches. The potential issue is the controls, rather than the clutches themselves.

Yes... unlike a regular auto the clutches are precision controlled, it needs to slip the clutch for some time to do a hill start for instance, like any manual driver does.  They are rather good at doing it, but prone to developing a judder if their calibration goes out.  (The transmission computer does continuously recalibrate, so this usually stops after driving for a bit, but it's a little unnerving.)

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #1427 on: November 28, 2022, 10:02:07 am »
So, it does seem that they are being way too stubborn/inflexible and/or in denial about overcoming any psychological hesitations/hiccups, for moving into considerably more affordable accommodation and/or too short-sighted, about the situation.
I think I mentioned this a few crisis ago, but I suspect there is a dependency that links her to that city that is being kept from the external world. Either a friend, elder/sick relative or even anything medical or vice related.

As with the other crisis, we can only speculate.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1428 on: November 28, 2022, 10:20:58 pm »
I think I mentioned this a few crisis ago, but I suspect there is a dependency that links her to that city that is being kept from the external world. Either a friend, elder/sick relative or even anything medical or vice related. As with the other crisis, we can only speculate.

As someone who corresponds privately with Fran a lot about this, there is nothing hidden, she has been completely open about the reasons, no need to speculate. The two primary reasons being trans safety and that she loves the downtown Philly lifestyle. Both are completely understandable of course, and she has been and still is making it work financially. So from her point of view, there is no reason to make changes.
She has lived in other small towns in Pennsylvania and other states and does not want to go back. Her mind is made up, it's downtown Philly or bust.
I'm sure if the Patreon income drops and another appeal fails to lift the income then she will do what she said and shut down the factory first, and then probably the storage rooms progressively.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, pardo-bsso, MK14

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1429 on: November 29, 2022, 01:42:39 pm »
On the other side of the pond Big Clive loves ozone generators.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #1430 on: November 29, 2022, 05:43:38 pm »
On the other side of the pond Big Clive loves ozone generators.
For cupboard and fridge and similar use, yes.  They kill mold (something that is a constant problem at Isle of Man, where Big Clive lives, due to the climate) and bacteria.  They also only put out trace amounts ("microscopic amounts" as Big Clive says) of ozone in the air, unlike room deodorizes, what we're talking about here.

Big Clive on ozone:

Big Clive on a room ozone deodorizer:

Ozone is one of those gases that you do want in air in trace amounts, but not too much.  And the amounts Big Clive recommends are absolutely minimal, not enough to cover any indoor smoking.  The room deodorizers, on the other hand, use large amounts of ozone to have an effect; and it is these large amounts that are detrimental, not the trace amounts.

A proper analogy here would be using a tealight, or an open flame.  One is pretty safe emissions-wise, the other is extremely dangerous in closed spaces due to carbon dioxide, particle emissions, and possibly carbon monoxide produced.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 05:46:38 pm by Nominal Animal »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1431 on: November 29, 2022, 05:58:09 pm »
I've used those big ozone generators several times to get rid of odors in cars, they work really well for that. You obviously should not be in the car when one is running though, after shutting off the generator the ozone dissipates fairly quickly.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1432 on: November 29, 2022, 07:01:39 pm »
I've used those big ozone generators several times to get rid of odors in cars, they work really well for that. You obviously should not be in the car when one is running though, after shutting off the generator the ozone dissipates fairly quickly.
When used in hotels etc., the ozone will diffuse easily through the ventilation system, unless isolated.  It will also dissipate within half an hour or so after the generator is turned off, as the ozone molecules decay (into oxygen and oxides on the surface of whatever they react with).

And that's the problem in Fran's case as well: the neighbors probably leave the apartment (unless they're real tar-lungs who don't even detect the difference in their breathing), and care not a whit about the health risks they're generating for their neighbors.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1433 on: November 29, 2022, 07:19:03 pm »
Yeah I'm not suggesting Fran's neighbors are using ozone generators in a reasonable manner, I'm only saying there's nothing inherently wrong with ozone generators, when used properly under the right circumstances they are very effective.

They're good for getting weird odors out of clothing and bedding too, just stuff it in a box or hang it in a closed room with the ozone generator and let it run for a bit.

The following users thanked this post: Nominal Animal

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1434 on: November 29, 2022, 07:25:43 pm »
I'm only saying there's nothing inherently wrong with ozone generators, when used properly under the right circumstances they are very effective.
Fully agreed  :-+

And I included the Big Clive videos above, because he also definitely agrees.  He also likes to use ion generators to help precipitate impurities (particulates like dust and woofle fireball remnants) out of the air and onto surfaces.  No crystal magic or healing mumbo-jumbo, just basic atmospheric physics/chemistry.

Proper use is key.  And the fact Fran's gloves are deteriorating (I guess similar chemical degradation that happens due to UV to plastics), shows her neighbors definitely don't care about proper use.  I don't buy even ignorance here, because these devices do tend to come with very specific usage information.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 07:27:54 pm by Nominal Animal »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1435 on: November 29, 2022, 07:32:32 pm »
I don't buy even ignorance here, because these devices do tend to come with very specific usage information.

You're assuming they actually read that information, I suspect the sort of people that are causing the problem either didn't read it at all or blew it off as yet another exaggerated warning.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1436 on: November 29, 2022, 07:33:07 pm »
I don't buy even ignorance here, because these devices do tend to come with very specific usage information.

Perhaps they don't realise that fumigating their room will affect anyone else. After all, one assumes that homes are self-contained once inside the doors.

Edit: I recall doing something similar (to get rid of pests) in a bedroom, and we shoved the thing (spray, not ozone) in there, closed the door and that's it. Afterwards we opened the window then an hour later it's clear. During all that we're happy to be pottering around the house in rooms below and next to that bedroom, so surely some other household would be oblivious.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 07:36:03 pm by PlainName »

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1437 on: November 29, 2022, 09:27:24 pm »
Very plausible, james_s and PlainName.  After all, people often kill themselves out of stupidity, too.  In comparison, considering ones effects on others, must be Advanced Magickery and Unrealisticness to such folks.  Even more reason to expose them before they actually harm someone, eh?

(Sprays and aerosols do not diffuse as easily as gases like ozone do, though.)

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1438 on: November 29, 2022, 10:07:29 pm »
You're assuming they actually read that information, I suspect the sort of people that are causing the problem either didn't read it at all or blew it off as yet another exaggerated warning.

Don't understimate human stupidity, ignorance, or mallice.

The following users thanked this post: MK14, Nominal Animal

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1439 on: November 30, 2022, 12:16:37 am »
Don't understimate human stupidity, ignorance, or mallice.

Every winter there are stories about people that die from CO poisoning caused by running a charcoal bbq in the house or a gasoline powered generator in the garage during a power outage. You'd think it would be common knowledge not to do this and yet people do. Ozone is considerably less dangerous than carbon monoxide.

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1440 on: November 30, 2022, 12:20:53 am »
I always assumed the charcoal BBQ incidents were intentional suicide or murder-suicide. The more smokeless heaters or a generator I can more understand as stupidity, but a charcoal grill? Come on…

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1441 on: November 30, 2022, 12:27:25 am »
I always assumed the charcoal BBQ incidents were intentional suicide or murder-suicide. The more smokeless heaters or a generator I can more understand as stupidity, but a charcoal grill? Come on…

Usually it's immigrants that came from places where homes are not nearly as well sealed as they are in most developed nations.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1442 on: November 30, 2022, 05:45:37 am »
Here, misuse of saunas is a bit of a problem, as some use it to dry their clothes with the kiuas/heater on, which can set the clothes on fire.
It's not as common as drunk people making a late night snack (typically frozen pizza or sausage fries, "makkaraperunat"), falling asleep, and having the fire alarm go off, though.

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #1443 on: November 30, 2022, 06:07:07 pm »
Here, misuse of saunas is a bit of a problem, as some use it to dry their clothes with the kiuas/heater on, which can set the clothes on fire.
It's not as common as drunk people making a late night snack (typically frozen pizza or sausage fries, "makkaraperunat"), falling asleep, and having the fire alarm go off, though.

Finland sounds awesome!
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #1444 on: November 30, 2022, 10:46:40 pm »

Finland sounds awesome!

You only need to watch some "Beyond The Press" or "Pommijätkät" videos on YouTube to confirm that!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1445 on: November 30, 2022, 11:24:22 pm »
Finnish culture is not one of the urban ones for sure.  All I can say that if you like the idea of spending time with friends without having to talk all the time, or if you think a quick hello or a nod is sufficient small-talk in most situations, and you like drinking lots of ordinary coffee, you might find Finnish culture a good fit.

As I understand it, in USA there are a lot of cultural variance between different areas, with people moving to places where they feel they fit better.  Maybe it's climate, maybe it is taxation, maybe it is the local customs/ways of living.. which is why it sounds so strange to hear Fran say it's Philly or bust.
Bigger cities tend to have the least variation.  I fear her preconceptions may be blocking her from happiness and much reduced stress elsewhere.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 11:26:03 pm by Nominal Animal »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1446 on: November 30, 2022, 11:38:38 pm »
Finnish culture is not one of the urban ones for sure.  All I can say that if you like the idea of spending time with friends without having to talk all the time, or if you think a quick hello or a nod is sufficient small-talk in most situations, and you like drinking lots of ordinary coffee, you might find Finnish culture a good fit.

As I understand it, in USA there are a lot of cultural variance between different areas.
That is even true inside small countries.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1447 on: November 30, 2022, 11:39:26 pm »
As I understand it, in USA there are a lot of cultural variance between different areas, with people moving to places where they feel they fit better.  Maybe it's climate, maybe it is taxation, maybe it is the local customs/ways of living.. which is why it sounds so strange to hear Fran say it's Philly or bust.
Bigger cities tend to have the least variation.  I fear her preconceptions may be blocking her from happiness and much reduced stress elsewhere.

It's true. The USA is very large and very diverse, there is something for everyone, especially once you get off the beaten path.

What's strange to me is hearing anyone actively choose Philly over.. just about anywhere. I mean I guess I'd probably pick it over Detroit but both are some of the most dangerous areas in the whole country. Frankly the gentrification is probably a good thing ultimately, crime infested crapholes will get cleaned up and be made livable.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1448 on: November 30, 2022, 11:41:51 pm »
Not sure I understand the gentrification in such a horrific context though? It must not be that bad?

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1449 on: December 01, 2022, 01:21:00 am »

As I understand it, in USA there are a lot of cultural variance between different areas.
That is even true inside small countries.
In Finland, too, most definitely.  It just sounds to me like Fran is overgeneralising bad past experiences as if they were indicative of everywhere else but Philly, to me. :-//

Something similar happens in Finland, especially Helsinki, all the time.  Young people move to Helsinki to go to the University, and for the first time, they are anonymous, with nobody commenting on how they dress or behave, or keeping track or talking about what they do.  They associate that with Helsinki (or Turku or Tampere or Oulu), instead of early adulthood.  This leads to young adults, who reject their cultural roots, like our current prime minister who says she doesn't feel herself "Finnish", and doesn't even know what that term means.  (She is from an LBTQ+ family, by the way.)  That leads to people feeling insecure and relying on their social group, and projecting everything negative they perceive in their own life as negatives that somehow apply to the entire Finnish culture and Finland –– except for their city, or even borough, like Kallio in particular in Helsinki.  They see everyone outside their current social circle as dangerous enemies to be opposed, and for what?  Not for happiness, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 01:25:45 am by Nominal Animal »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf