Author Topic: FranLab is getting evicted  (Read 257296 times)

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
Re: FranLab is getting evicted
« Reply #1775 on: January 23, 2023, 08:14:52 am »
Give that lawn and shrubbery a few weeks to fester   :scared:

and there won't be much lab time to spare, much less uploading proceedings to Youtube

or reading and replying to comments

Coupla days for a Jim's Gardening team = Patreon funds toast

But.. moving in to the place on the left might work

and rent out the rest of it to some retired rich trash with 6 kids and 60 grandkids,
mostly over qualified diploma wavers  :palm:  basically lazyass unemployables in the current real world.   

Half of them will be gamers sporting black T-Shirts and wierd Shintaro haircuts,
and not even know the grandparents names.

I like the place on the left and if the caravan is part of the deal = win win   :clap:

Has the lady considered a property share arrangement, with another Youtuber for example?

Half rent, half maintenance etc

A better deal than the royal boot from the Sheriff with vacate orders

and furniture and test gear getting rained on the nature strip  :(

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1776 on: January 23, 2023, 08:42:08 am »
Has the lady considered a property share arrangement, with another Youtuber for example?
Half rent, half maintenance etc

Not that I'm aware of. Fran strikes me as the independent type.
Sharing an apartment would lower the expenses a bit, but not the three other spaces. Moving out of Philly into one big space would be a way better option financially.
Remember that she needs at least 2000sqft incuding an industrial type space. So not really compatible with the usual share arrangements.
Almost any large rented house option outside of Philly could half her total expenses overnight.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 10:11:26 am by EEVblog »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1777 on: January 23, 2023, 09:53:03 am »
https://www.domain.com.au/10-o-keefe-road-annangrove-nsw-2156-2018031608
Includes a giant 90sqm lab.

What are the odds of a GoFundMe working?
$3,285,000?   :-DD

Is it too late to up it to this?
https://www.domain.com.au/3382-old-northern-road-glenorie-nsw-2157-2018213428

Don't think so. You could do endless videos on keeping your lawn in perfect condition by mowing it by hand. Plenty of space for cats too. You'll need to post a daily cat video to generate more revenue to pay for upkeep  :-DD
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1778 on: January 23, 2023, 10:10:24 am »
Don't think so. You could do endless videos on keeping your lawn in perfect condition by mowing it by hand. Plenty of space for cats too. You'll need to post a daily cat video to generate more revenue to pay for upkeep  :-DD

Solar powered GPS electric lawn mower project.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #1779 on: January 23, 2023, 12:20:53 pm »
Solar powered GPS electric lawn mower project.

I'd follow that!!   :-+

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #1780 on: January 23, 2023, 12:45:03 pm »
https://www.domain.com.au/10-o-keefe-road-annangrove-nsw-2156-2018031608
Includes a giant 90sqm lab.

$3,285,000?   :-DD

(Ever the optimist) ..... Why not?!!

Is it too late to up it to this?
https://www.domain.com.au/3382-old-northern-road-glenorie-nsw-2157-2018213428

Anything is possible.

(Just don't bet your house on it.)

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1781 on: January 23, 2023, 01:07:56 pm »
you could do endless videos on keeping your lawn in perfect condition by mowing it by hand.
half a dozen sheep ,although the neighbours maybe concerned you've  started up a knocking shop.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1782 on: January 23, 2023, 03:07:52 pm »

VERY low IMO.  Most people already think that her current situation simply isn't viable and I don't think that anyone is willing to pour more money into what we all see as a sinking ship.  OTOH if she came up with a viable plan for the future then the internet community might support her.  Even if she got a good sum of donated money, the problem still remains that her expenses exceed her income and eventually she would still be broke.

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1783 on: January 23, 2023, 09:44:07 pm »
  VERY low IMO.  Most people already think that her current situation simply isn't viable and I don't think that anyone is willing to pour more money into what we all see as a sinking ship.  OTOH if she came up with a viable plan for the future then the internet community might support her.  Even if she got a good sum of donated money, the problem still remains that her expenses exceed her income and eventually she would still be broke.

She raised something like $45k last time but that was because of imminent eviction. And you are right, I think people would likely support a solid plan to move out of Philly and buy a place, rather than the money just going into the coffers of Jared Kushner again (who owned her last lab building). If it's just to rent 4 places again in Philly, odds of a nother crowd funder working a slim.

Last time around I found a $79k house in nearby Reading for sale that even had industrial use zoning, but she wasn't interested. Estimate for the same place is now $155k.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1784 on: January 23, 2023, 11:57:36 pm »

She raised something like $45k last time but that was because of imminent eviction. And you are right, I think people would likely support a solid plan to move out of Philly and buy a place, rather than the money just going into the coffers of Jared Kushner again (who owned her last lab building). If it's just to rent 4 places again in Philly, odds of a nother crowd funder working a slim.

Last time around I found a $79k house in nearby Reading for sale that even had industrial use zoning, but she wasn't interested. Estimate for the same place is now $155k.

Yep, I would chip in a few bucks toward a viable plan to get into a sustainable living situation. I will not contribute any of my money toward kicking the can down the road. It doesn't fix anything, it just delays the inevitable by some amount of time.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #1785 on: January 24, 2023, 01:22:12 am »
Is she still using her gender as an excuse to not move into a cheaper area? Not sure who would even fall for that when there are so many places where single old women live just fine.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #1786 on: February 09, 2023, 12:06:44 pm »
just fine  :-DD

You should put a disclaimer on that so you are not responsible for the home invasion etc.

Amazing how much people change when they move out of crappy neighborhoods. It's like they got off crack, suddenly people stop being paranoid about time of day, whos around, what was that noise, who got mugged etc.

A person in a good area has to give like 10 reassurances of what hood shit you don't need to worry about while at their house (anti crack head protocols, gang avoidance, so forth). And when rich people go where the poor are its like a war reporter. You are totally delusional if you don't think that's real.

Its more like plenty of people manage to some how get by at great personal cost.

Put a cardboard box for a big screen tv in front of someones house in a bad place, neighbors are gonna call the cops on them for making the street unsafe  because of the camouflage fail  ;D
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 12:13:22 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline TomKatt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1787 on: February 09, 2023, 12:29:08 pm »
A person in a good area has to give like 10 reassurances of what hood shit you don't need to worry about while at their house (anti crack head protocols, gang avoidance, so forth). And when rich people go where the poor are its like a war reporter. You are totally delusional if you don't think that's real.
I grew up and live in the sticks, the kind of rural place where I don't even know where the keys to my front door are and you leave the car running when you run into a shop so the defroster warms up.

I've had family and friends from rougher areas come over, and it's amazing how uncomfortable they are in the dark and silent countryside...  It's like they freak out because it's too quiet, waiting for the next siren.  So, now instead of worrying about being mugged or shot, they think of 'cabin in the woods' Manson crime or something.

I couldn't live with that level of stress.
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a PIC

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, Fgrir

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1788 on: February 09, 2023, 12:42:03 pm »
I grew up and live in the sticks, the kind of rural place where I don't even know where the keys to my front door are and you leave the car running when you run into a shop so the defroster warms up.

I've had family and friends from rougher areas come over, and it's amazing how uncomfortable they are in the dark and silent countryside...  It's like they freak out because it's too quiet, waiting for the next siren.  So, now instead of worrying about being mugged or shot, they think of 'cabin in the woods' Manson crime or something.

I grew up in one of the worst suburbs in the Sydney, and it's paradise compared to the stories I hear about living in some major US cities like Philly. And I've seen countless documentaries and videos of how those cities have just spiralled into hell holes. Just doing a virtual walkthrough of Philly on Google street view is enough to scare me away for life. And you pay a premium to live there in constant fear, it's nuts.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 12:48:01 pm by EEVblog »

Offline TomKatt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1789 on: February 09, 2023, 12:44:56 pm »
Philly was the first time I saw that they stationed police officers inside hotel lobbies.   Not security guards - actual police officers.  It was like going to Mexico and seeing the army patrol the tourist beaches.

Actually, I felt safer in Mexico than Philly.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 12:48:03 pm by TomKatt »
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a PIC

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #1790 on: February 09, 2023, 12:49:11 pm »
Philly was the first time I saw that they stationed police officers inside hotel lobbies.   Not security guards - actual police officers.  It was like going to Mexico and seeing the army patrol the tourist beaches.

In the local Apple store here they have a city police officer (stressing - not a security guard). I asked why the need for it? The salesperson said because people come in and get furious when they find out their device is out of warranty and will have to pay for service. They start wrecking the displays they get so mad.  :palm:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1791 on: February 09, 2023, 12:51:37 pm »
Philly was the first time I saw that they stationed police officers inside hotel lobbies.   Not security guards - actual police officers. 

Here in NSW you can hire police officers for private security work:
https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/online_services/user_charges_user_pays_policing_services

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1792 on: February 09, 2023, 04:11:40 pm »
Here in NSW you can hire police officers for private security work:
https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/online_services/user_charges_user_pays_policing_services

You can in the USA as well.  Off-duty cops will work as security guards.  I believe they are allowed to wear their uniforms and badges, and carry their sidearms.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1793 on: February 09, 2023, 06:00:33 pm »

That sounds lovely. Years ago I visited a place called Barrhead in central Alberta and it was a lot like that. I remember going for a walk at night and it was just silent and the only light was from the moon and stars. Nearest neighbor was around a mile away so there was a lot of space. The only thing I didn't like about it is that the landscape was completely flat.

The following users thanked this post: pardo-bsso, TomKatt

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1794 on: February 09, 2023, 11:10:55 pm »

That sounds lovely. Years ago I visited a place called Barrhead in central Alberta and it was a lot like that. I remember going for a walk at night and it was just silent and the only light was from the moon and stars. Nearest neighbor was around a mile away so there was a lot of space. The only thing I didn't like about it is that the landscape was completely flat.

Every year we go on a big several week family road trip to several smaller towns around the state. Even when it's a big town the feel is much different to Sydney. The people are different and more laid back, and you feel safer (not that you don't in Sydney).
Last month I was in Old Bar, a small beach side town and I was in a shop and heard a police siren which seemed very odd. I asked the shop keeper how often that happens and she said she'd never heard one before in the 3 years she's worked there. The town doesn't even have a police station.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1795 on: February 10, 2023, 06:46:02 pm »
Thats probably something that they tell the tourists so that they don't get scared and take their business elsewhere.

I'm sure the crime rate is very high as it is everywhere else. In small towns like that you don't get serious crime but you do get a lot of harassment and bullying.

Next time you are there ask them if they are depressed. If they are then they are being harassed and bullied.

Why would you assume the crime rate is very high? It's really not in a lot of places. Sure there are bullies everywhere but there are absolutely places where you have a very low risk of getting mugged, shot, raped, burglarized, etc. Most small towns you're not going to hear police sirens very often. Heck my small town has turned into a city and it's not often I hear a police siren here. When I'm in downtown Seattle I hear them all the time.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #1796 on: February 10, 2023, 06:58:04 pm »

Crime has to do with how invisible you are. When a car starts driving through such areas, and outsiders show up, its remembered. Criminals don't really get too far, and their not as invisible as they think in those kinds of places, their boring, and people are not super distracted all the time, so they notice problems and they can also remember who/what/where/when/why, making police investigations more effective. Like if you see a out of town car in such an area, its downright interesting. If you see something in the crowded city it just gets washed out. + you need alot of fuel, that means stops, and the bored out of their mind gas station people also find it interesting. Not to mention if you screw up a crime in that kind of area, you are out alot of time, money. In the city you can try right next door and probobly be successful.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 07:00:29 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1797 on: February 10, 2023, 10:20:49 pm »
I asked the shop keeper how often that happens and she said she'd never heard one before in the 3 years she's worked there. The town doesn't even have a police station.
Thats probably something that they tell the tourists so that they don't get scared and take their business elsewhere.

Nope, shopkeeper was a young girl. Answer was genuine.

I'm sure the crime rate is very high as it is everywhere else. In small towns like that you don't get serious crime but you do get a lot of harassment and bullying.
Next time you are there ask them if they are depressed. If they are then they are being harassed and bullied.

Nope, go to Old Bar or any small beachside town like this, they are all the same laid back nothing ever happens kind of places.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1798 on: February 13, 2023, 09:24:47 pm »
Fran has put up a Gofundme for health insurance costs.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/get-fran-healthcare-for-2023

I didn't see that one coming, I forgot how rooted the health care system is in the US, and I didn't know that if you change address you can't keep your health insurance, WTF.
Another reason she desperately needs to save cash (or possibly move state?). $15k a year just for health insurance is obviously completely unsustainable, she'll have to do this gofundme every year for the rest of her life. And that doesn't leave any contingency for getting evicted again or income dropping.

As a reference here, we choose to pay $400/month for a family of 4 for private health insurance. But of course we get free-ish (1.5% of our income) universal health care on top of that, so we don't actually need it. Private insurance is just nice to have.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 09:33:59 pm by EEVblog »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1799 on: February 13, 2023, 09:30:43 pm »
My health insurance has always been tied to my employer, not to my home address. Either way the US healthcare system is a byzantine disaster that costs far more than any other system in the world.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf