Author Topic: [Solved] Yet another which computer should I buy  (Read 8825 times)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Re: [Solved] Yet another which computer should I buy
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2016, 06:52:20 pm »
Regarding the comments on Apple, for me their heyday was back in 2012 with their retina macbook pro which was a game changer in the industry towards higher resolution displays on laptops, something that, up to that point, had actually become worse, dropping from a maximum 1920x1200 resolution to 1600x1050 or so for 15" screens.

I still use my MBPr from 2012, but it was fully loaded at the time, and since then I upgraded the SSD from 750GB to 1TB, with the 750GB coverted to a convenient small form factor external USB 3.0 drive courtesy of OWC. As any equivalent unit now would be merely incremental from a performance perspective. The biggest cricisms I have are the lack of USB ports (2xUSB3) and Ethernet, but that is seemingly the direction it's been going for all manufacturers for some reason.

Because of my favourable impressions at the time, I pretty much switched to Apple across the board, my main dev machine is a loaded i7 2012 Mac Mini server retrofitted twice now with upgrades SSDs and RAM. Only now am I looking at upgrading, but that coincides with the OS getting flakier by the minute, but that's a Windows thing: yes, I run Windows natively almost all the time on all three Macs I have except the one I use for music arranging.

The rot set in at Apple when they started soldering in the RAM in the Mac Minis, and has gone down ever since with regards to built in obsolescence and lack of upgrade path even from third parties.

Next time I'm in the market for a small form factor power laptop I have my eye on the Dell XPS range.

Online blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2016, 07:10:31 pm »
Regarding the comments on Apple, for me their heyday was back in 2012 with their retina macbook pro which was a game changer in the industry towards higher resolution displays on laptops, something that, up to that point, had actually become worse, dropping from a maximum 1920x1200 resolution to 1600x1050 or so for 15" screens.

The rot set in at Apple when they started soldering in the RAM in the Mac Minis, and has gone down ever since with regards to built in obsolescence and lack of upgrade path even from third parties.

Next time I'm in the market for a small form factor power laptop I have my eye on the Dell XPS range.

I don't like more than FHD either (not the 768p rubbish as well). So for me, 1080p and 1200p are the sweet spots. I currently have a Vaio Z flip 1st gen fully loaded with bugs, and it has a 13.3'' 1440p screen. It's not usable at all without DPI scaling.
In terms of soldered RAM, I think it is the trend -- it guaranteed manufacturers more profit, while reducing warranty cost since non upgradable means less chance to break.
XPS 13 also has soldered RAM. It is normal to see a modern ultra thin laptop to have only m2 slot upgradable, while all other things are non upgradable.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2016, 08:30:19 pm »
The Plextor you mention is showing a premium of about 80% over the SATA version in the UK. I'd rather invest that difference in more storage than faster speed if I'm not benefitting from that extra speed.

Not in US. Here the cheapest brand new 512GB big brand SSD, even the TLC rubbish, is $120, while the cheapest brand new MLC one is $150.
Considering this fact, $180 for an MLC NVMe is really cheap.
Performance wise, the difference from filesystem and security software has more impact than SSD technology. My NVMe Intel 750 SSD running NTFS and MSE responses slower than my SATA Micron MX550 running ext4 (noatime, discard, nodiratime) without any AV software.

Wait, your country says China, yet you live in the US? I am confused now, not to be rude.
C/C++/Java Programmer, Legacy hardware enthusiast, madman.
If it's broken, I probably did it.
EEVBlog IRC: irc.austnet.irc #eevblog

Online blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2016, 08:38:19 pm »
The Plextor you mention is showing a premium of about 80% over the SATA version in the UK. I'd rather invest that difference in more storage than faster speed if I'm not benefitting from that extra speed.

Not in US. Here the cheapest brand new 512GB big brand SSD, even the TLC rubbish, is $120, while the cheapest brand new MLC one is $150.
Considering this fact, $180 for an MLC NVMe is really cheap.
Performance wise, the difference from filesystem and security software has more impact than SSD technology. My NVMe Intel 750 SSD running NTFS and MSE responses slower than my SATA Micron MX550 running ext4 (noatime, discard, nodiratime) without any AV software.

Wait, your country says China, yet you live in the US? I am confused now, not to be rude.

Chinese guy living in US. Location in my profile tab has more details.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf