General > General Technical Chat

You know you're old when.....

<< < (53/54) > >>

AaronLee:

--- Quote from: TerraHertz on August 01, 2021, 04:58:43 am ---When watching Professor Julius Sumner Miller on B&W TV was one of your childhood pleasures.

--- End quote ---

And you got up to manually change the TV channel. Those new fangled ultrasonic remote controls were a very expensive option.

BradC:

--- Quote from: vk6zgo on July 27, 2021, 02:21:14 pm ---One of my mates went one better---he mounted the phone under the bonnet ("hood) of his old Valiant.

He liked to do this with an accomplice.
He would stop at a set of lights with a busy flow of pedestrians, his mate would be crossing when the phone rang, & would pop the bonnet open, pull out the phone, "listen" for a couple of seconds, then hold it out, saying "It's for you!"

--- End quote ---

I can just picture that at lunchtime at the William St/Hay St lights on a weekday. That'd be excellent.

TimFox:
My equivalent, growing up in the US, was "Watch Mr Wizard" with Don Herbert.  Lots of hands-on tabletop experiments with participation from one boy or girl guest.
There was a much later TV show "Dinosaurs" in US, with a "Mr Lizard" character.  The catch-phrase was "Time to get another Timmy" after yet another fatal lab accident.  "Gee, Mr Lizard, I've never looked down the muzzle of a cannon before!"
In my childhood, before deregulation and the explosion in the number of media channels, commercial broadcasters in the US had a legal requirement to run educational and cultural programming.  The other big influence on me back then were the "Young Peoples' Concerts" with Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic.

vk6zgo:

--- Quote from: Brumby on August 01, 2021, 05:14:45 am ---
--- Quote from: TerraHertz on August 01, 2021, 04:58:43 am ---When watching Professor Julius Sumner Miller on B&W TV was one of your childhood pleasures.

--- End quote ---

Oh, yes!   :-+

In fact, my parents thought I wasn't applying myself at school, so they wrote to the good professor for some words of wisdom - AND HE WROTE BACK!  A quick note in felt tipped pen on the back of a flyer and signed by the good professor.  It's buried somewhere in the archives of my life - safely, I hope.

--- End quote ---

"Is that not strange & wonderful?"

David Hess:

--- Quote from: AaronLee on August 01, 2021, 05:59:09 am ---
--- End quote ---

And you got up to manually change the TV channel. Those new fangled ultrasonic remote controls were a very expensive option.
--- End quote ---

And it was on the external UHF converter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version