Poll

Which "made in <country name>" gives you most confidence in the product?

Germany
72 (41.6%)
USA
20 (11.6%)
China
3 (1.7%)
Japan
37 (21.4%)
Switzerland
13 (7.5%)
UK
9 (5.2%)
Holland (The Netherlands)
11 (6.4%)
Italy
3 (1.7%)
Australia
2 (1.2%)
Korea
3 (1.7%)
Taiwan
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 170

Voting closed: May 08, 2015, 08:38:37 pm

Author Topic: Your best "Made in ..."?  (Read 31249 times)

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
Re: Your best "Made in ..."?
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2015, 09:05:34 am »
Again... British bankers screwed out out of billions and consider themselves above the law. In fact, they own an entire police form (City of London Police) who act on their behalf with the full power of the law. Our system is badly broken, and none of them were held to account for the financial crisis.

The banking system is screwed up all around the world and anyone who has put time and effort in to the understanding of our modern banking system knows that. "Made in Germany" banks are as bad a "Made in UK" banks.
The worst used car salesman is probably more honest than the most honest banker!
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline smjcuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2015, 10:17:01 am »
I worked for a company that detects fraud in banks as external early warning systems in the UK. Its actually not that common! Banks are pretty honest believe it or not.

Currency and stock trading, financial advice, estate management and public sector is faaaaaar worse. These people hire people to make the problems go away and there is no regulation at all worth mentioning.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2015, 10:43:52 am »

Beer?  let the debates begin!
USA; no contest.

American beer is like making love in a Canoe. It's fucking close to water.

Belgians only do two things right. Chocolate and Beer.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2015, 11:37:20 am »

USA; no contest.

And Waffles.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2015, 12:30:21 pm »
The country names should be placed in the appropriate order.

alphabetical

Muttley

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2015, 01:25:13 pm »
If you add new countries to the poll, it would be a good idea to also enable the option which allows users to revoke their vote to place it on one of the newly added countries if they so wish...

Also, what about Taiwan? Technically it is China, but "Made in Taiwan" has a different ring to me than "Made in China". China got already 2 votes, and i would expect Taiwan to get more votes than China... (Taiwan is a relevant choice since it is an important manufacturer of electronic goods and components...)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 01:35:00 pm by elgonzo »

Offline Tallie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2015, 02:00:18 pm »

USA; no contest.

You don't know much about American beer...

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2015, 02:14:26 pm »

>:D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 02:18:02 pm by elgonzo »

Offline Tallie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2015, 02:46:26 pm »
That's really funny... but A-B InBev, the company that produces the piss-water of which you speak(Budweiser, Bud Light, Corona, Natural Ice, Michelob, etc.)... is a Belgian company. The American craft beer culture blows all others out of the water... canoe or no canoe.

Offline ZeynebTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2015, 02:51:05 pm »
If you add new countries to the poll, it would be a good idea to also enable the option which allows users to revoke their vote to place it on one of the newly added countries if they so wish...

Hi elgonzo,

I don't have the ability to revoke users votes. Or you can tell me how?

Taiwan is added.

Regards Zeyneb
goto considered awesome!

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2015, 03:12:00 pm »

Hi elgonzo,

I don't have the ability to revoke users votes. Or you can tell me how?

Taiwan is added.

Regards Zeyneb

The SMF manual lists all the Poll Options you can set or modify (see here). But i am not sure how to do it exactly (i have never created a poll on a forum driven by SMF...  :-// )

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2015, 03:20:47 pm »

USA; no contest.

Unfortunately, most outside of the U.S. will equate American beer with Budwiser and similar crap swill. They won't be familiar with the many excellent craft beers that have become popular over the past 20-30 years. They aren't generally exported and the whole microbrewery movement in the US will be alien to those outside the U.S. (and still is to many in rural America as well).

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2015, 03:23:55 pm »
That's really funny... but A-B InBev, the company that produces the piss-water of which you speak(Budweiser, Bud Light, Corona, Natural Ice, Michelob, etc.)... is a Belgian company. The American craft beer culture blows all others out of the water... canoe or no canoe.
So, Budweiser is then Belgian Beer...? (Don't tell me it is Czech... i know ;) )
But i agree, the big multi-national brewery conglomerates have really severely damaged the image of American beer brands in the world...

I don't know much about the American craft beer culture, and i am not sure whether it will blow other beer cultures out of the water.
However, i grant it that it is probably one of the most creative beer cultures around... :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 03:42:00 pm by elgonzo »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2015, 03:43:04 pm »
But i grant it that it is probably one of the most creative beer cultures around... :)

Ha! Where else but in America [Utah to be exact]would you get a Polygamy Porter.

Why have just one?...

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2015, 03:46:33 pm »
There isn't much we do better than anybody else, but 1500 beers can't be wrong:

http://www.belgianbeerboard.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=88889023

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2015, 03:56:05 pm »
How the City of London police force is funded, mostly by government grants and business rates.

Come on, don't be naive. The local government is there to serve corporations only. Corporations actually vote in the elections and have the vast majority of votes. The local government and the police force serve them, and are funded by them. It's an affront to democracy, and you will note that the City of London police mostly seem to be interested in things that their corporate masters are. For example, they recently started making false claims to get web sites that their masters don't like shut down, and arresting people on civil copyright infringement matters.

Here we go again...

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2015, 04:03:53 pm »
Ha! Where else but in America [Utah to be exact]would you get a Polygamy Porter.

Why have just one?...
Hahaha  :-DD
I wonder what goes through ones head when drinking "Polygamy Porter"... Something like this but turbo-charged, i guess:

Offline smjcuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2015, 06:19:53 pm »
How the City of London police force is funded, mostly by government grants and business rates.

Come on, don't be naive. The local government is there to serve corporations only. Corporations actually vote in the elections and have the vast majority of votes. The local government and the police force serve them, and are funded by them. It's an affront to democracy, and you will note that the City of London police mostly seem to be interested in things that their corporate masters are. For example, they recently started making false claims to get web sites that their masters don't like shut down, and arresting people on civil copyright infringement matters.

Here we go again...

It's about right actually. They only serve 4000 residents and about 19000 businesses.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2015, 07:44:02 pm »

Here we go again...

It's about right actually. They only serve 4000 residents and about 19000 businesses.

Which is fine, except my comments were made relating to the initial statement that it was the banks which own the City of London police. That's still bollox.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2015, 09:35:56 pm »
I wonder what goes through ones head when drinking "Polygamy Porter"...
Now guess what goes through heads of fellow Canadians when having for breakfest this

http://holycrap.ca/collections/all/products/holy-crap-cereal

Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2015, 10:10:07 pm »
"own" as in "largely control or dominate".

Basically, you are saying that you are owned by your employers, your landlords, your neighbors, your family members, your banks, your contractors, and even your cars.

Wow, you are really owned.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2015, 10:30:50 pm »
Most of the time, I don't care where it's made, as long as it's a good quality product, is well designed and well made.

For most food, it's good if it's local but the EU at least because I have more faith that it'll be produced under good hygiene standards than most parts of the world.

If it's fireworks then China are the experts!

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2015, 10:54:01 pm »
"own" as in "largely control or dominate".

Basically, you are saying that you are owned by your employers, your landlords, your neighbors, your family members, your banks, your contractors, and even your cars.

Wow, you are really owned.

Anyone opposed to statism and/or corporacracy should be sympathetic to criticism of situatuons where the police are not controlled by or serving the general populace. (Unless of course someone is just out to sow discord)

We all know political discussions don't belong here and only lead to personal attacks. Maybe this time it can be avoided?

Have a beer from your country of choice and relax.. 8)

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2015, 03:20:17 pm »
I won't vote. It is pretty much impossible to buy any product these days that does not incorporate parts and materials from more than one country and even if you do buy something due to it being made in a particular country it is either an import  repackaged or it was designed in another country and or the manufacturer is owned in another country. One thing is fore sure though I will not buy anything made on Mars if its not made on Earth I wont buy it.  :-DD

Offline Noise Floor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2015, 03:29:07 pm »
Too many things these days called "Made in Germany" is only assembled here and many parts come from China and other places.
Kind of weird, how it has changed in the last 20 years.

I have a few Festool sanders I like a lot that I got at an estate sale.  They are "Made in Germany", any knowledge if they are really designed and built there with German parts?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf