Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 450239 times)

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2020, 10:45:47 am »
Best not to argue with a judge as well. 

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2020, 05:19:39 pm »

The attorney argues in front of the judge.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #127 on: September 14, 2020, 05:23:11 pm »
Here's the worst: Learning curve.

"This program has a steep learning curve!"

Yes, that means it's easy to learn.

"No, I mean that it's hard to learn."

Plot knowledge vs time. If it takes a long time to acquire a particular level of knowledge, the slope of that line will be shallow. If knowledge is acquired in a short time, the slope will go upward sharply.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #128 on: September 14, 2020, 05:45:39 pm »

The attorney argues in front of the judge.

That’s why it is a bad idea to argue with the judge, lest you be found in contempt.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, vk6zgo

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: September 14, 2020, 05:48:26 pm »

Plot knowledge vs time. If it takes a long time to acquire a particular level of knowledge, the slope of that line will be shallow. If knowledge is acquired in a short time, the slope will go upward sharply.

Quick and easy are different things.

Climb the Burj Dubai on the outside.  You get very high, very quickly.  But it isn't easy.

Climb to the height of the Burj Dubai by walking up the Mississippi River, the Amazon River, or the Nile.  Each step will be easy but you will walk thousands of kilometers before you get the altitude.

So something with a steep learning curve may reward those who are successful quickly, but many may find the journey impossible.  The shallow path has its own pitfalls. 

Online Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: September 17, 2020, 07:23:49 am »

I disagree. The saying is quite OK, but you are misunderstanding it.

There is a logic behind this saying:

Steep learning curve means, you need to acquire new knowledge at a massive rate, all the time, and as a result, cannot get any work done. All your effort is going into the learning process.

Flat learning curve means, you slowly acquire some new knowledge as you go, getting better with the tool, while still getting work done.

Finally, whether it's finally easy or difficult to fully learn, the slope of the curve is irrelevant. The height of the required target level is; the amount of knowledge that needs to be acquired. The saying (and your version of just inverting it) completely ignores this aspect.

"Steep learning curve" saying doesn't focus on the total complexity, but it describes the initial amount of involvement that's needed to be able to do anything with the tool: you are learning the tool quickly, but only because you have to. The opposite is the flat learning curve: you are not learning the tool, you are just using it (and doing the work).

That's why it's called "learning curve", not "getting work done curve". Learning isn't always a positive; you have limited resources for learning and people hate to spend time learning tools when they want to use the tools for the job.

Given that people have some limited rate of putting effort into a project per time, this defines a maximum slope. If you plot two curves, "learning curve for the tool" and "advancing the actual project", the sum of their slopes is somewhat constant. If the learning curve is steep, the "advancing the project" curve has to be flat, and vice versa.

The massively important distinction is, whenever the "learning" part is really important, then it has to be done, and having a steep curve is acceptable. Still, having it too steep may cause psychological problems of totally losing focus of the problem. Whenever the "learning" part is unintended - for example, you definitely do not plan to be a PCB designer, yet have to use a PCB EDA tool for some weird reason for a small project - this steep learning curve is pretty much unwanted.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 07:26:37 am by Siwastaja »

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: September 17, 2020, 09:23:00 am »
Micromanagers.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #132 on: September 17, 2020, 03:55:39 pm »
Whomever it was at the bakery who put the twist tie on the bread bag lefty tighty instead of righty tighty; you had one job.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: September 17, 2020, 04:10:30 pm »
Micromanagers.

You know, if we had a thread titled, "Your personal hell, technical or otherwise" then this could be:

"Micromanagers, who use Agile."

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #134 on: September 17, 2020, 04:29:08 pm »
Micromanagers.
Non-technical micromanagers who don't trust you because you were born at the wrong time (age, horoscope sign or some such).

One boss I worked for in my early twenties was a "lady" who wouldn't trust me at all, because she had a worthless idiot son of about my age.  Not even when I had successful technical projects completed in her department.  A big part of why I broke myself later, too; I was too socially stupid to see how sick that sort of stuff is.  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: September 18, 2020, 12:32:47 am »
"It is what it is"
 :horse:
(Replace dead horse with person that said it) :palm:

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136 on: September 18, 2020, 01:19:07 am »
"We are one of the top fifteen companies..."

I wonder which one they are? Number one? Number two?

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #137 on: September 19, 2020, 02:16:42 pm »
People who keep saying "I'll go ahead and <do X>" instead of just straight up saying "I'll do X".

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #138 on: September 19, 2020, 02:59:00 pm »
Online purchasing where, the moment you complete checkout and pay, you're presented with a list of similar - if not the exact same - items, at least one of which will be cheaper then you just paid. Thanks for rubbing salt into the wound Aliexpress, Ebay, Amazon et al.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #139 on: September 19, 2020, 04:28:28 pm »
People who keep saying "I'll go ahead and <do X>" instead of just straight up saying "I'll do X".

I was waiting for people who don't say anything and just do X and present the data.

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
  • Renovating Old Test Equipment & Calibration ..
« Reply #140 on: September 19, 2020, 06:24:14 pm »
"We are one of the top fifteen companies..."

I wonder which one they are? Number one? Number two?
Number 15 for Shore ..  Left out on the beach
"   All Started With A BIG Bang!! .  .   & Magic Smoke  ".

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #141 on: September 19, 2020, 07:37:06 pm »
Marketing material addressed to me in the post that; misses out important bits of information, bends to the truth regarding my rights and contradicts what's in the advert in the small print. With trendy pretty wording in the advert, "most powerful router" with pictures on looks but lacks the specifications about the hardware for me to compare. They think by making it look pretty and trendy like that is going to make feel happy and content when it makes feel insulted and angry like I am somewhat stupid and confused and don't know what I am doing.

I see this abstract crap but maybe it us just an illusion of my own when I read things that make me annoyed that I find patronising and insulting: "Most powerful wifi super router hub for your whole house" to boost your PC/tablet/phone and broadband from in a tiny box but because it looks pretty that means it is super smart and intelligent and will add to the performance and be better than any other router out there and for any problems it will wake up compensate and sort it self out." I think: Bugger off!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 07:39:51 pm by MrMobodies »

Online Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2020, 01:25:52 pm »
Websites that claim I'm signed in, yet when I try to do anything, they require me to sign in. Examples: Digikey, Ebay.

I can accept that they require new sign-in every 5 minutes if that's what they want to do, but why lie in the first place? That's like lying you have an 8-inch device; when the device is needed, the truth is exposed creating an immediate, awkward dissatisfaction.

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: September 25, 2020, 03:41:07 pm »
Here's another peeve of mine... I have an Amazon FireTV that I use to watch streaming content. The remote has a pause button, but the "pause" function times out after about four minutes and the display goes back to the home screen, forcing me to find what I was watching and resume it. Sometimes what I was watching will show up in "Recents", but sometimes not, forcing me to search for it in other places.

Hey Amazon--when I hit the Pause button, I want it to stay paused indefinitely! If I hit Pause and come back a week later, I want the movie to immediately start from where I left off then I hit Play.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2020, 04:57:11 pm »
"Recommended for you" on web sites that have no real idea of who I am, Youtube in particular. Even when they know what I just watched Youtube's recommendations of what I should watch next often seem oddly random.

Online nali

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #145 on: September 25, 2020, 05:17:42 pm »
That soft-grip stuff they put on electronic goods and some tools which after a couple of years de-vulcanizes or decomposes to a sticky goo.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, SeanB, SkyMaster, CatalinaWOW, KeepItSimpleStupid, Sredni

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #146 on: September 26, 2020, 01:01:01 am »
When a micro has several byte-wide ports with multi purpose pins and for whatever reason you want to read or write entire parallel bytes from the outside world. The trouble is, one special function pin will be in port A, another special function pin in port B etc and if you also need that special function you cant use the entire width of the port for a byte. It’s fine to have these special function pins of course, by but WHY do they have to scatter them around and ruin the usefulness of different ports so you end up having to use a much larger package with extra pins??? Just concentrate them all in one or two ports and leave the rest alone for goodness sake!!!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 01:02:32 am by Circlotron »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #147 on: September 26, 2020, 01:51:16 am »
Websites that claim I'm signed in, yet when I try to do anything, they require me to sign in. Examples: Digikey, Ebay.
Or sometimes, eevblog!
I can accept that they require new sign-in every 5 minutes if that's what they want to do, but why lie in the first place? That's like lying you have an 8-inch device; when the device is needed, the truth is exposed creating an immediate, awkward dissatisfaction.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #148 on: September 26, 2020, 01:52:58 am »
That soft-grip stuff they put on electronic goods and some tools which after a couple of years de-vulcanizes or decomposes to a sticky goo.

What a delight!  >:(

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #149 on: September 26, 2020, 03:00:36 am »

What a delight!  >:(

I've got a rechargeable torch/emergency light that has that going on.

Does anyone know what solvent might dissolve it without causing too much electronic upheaval?
iratus parum formica

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf